BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ohh wait i just peeped something...

if the express bus is at an MTA Bus depot...it would be BM etc, or QM etc, or BxM etc. and if its a NYC transit then X etc 

I've said this before, but they really should complete the MTA Bus operations merger all the way and have MTA Bus and MTA Subway so that all bus operations are completely one agency. Then...ALL Brooklyn express routes use BM, ALL Queens use QM, ALL Bronx use BxM, ALL Staten Island use X. Why? Because SI has the vast majority of X routes while the other boroughs are mostly NYCDOT designations with some NYCT here and there. Simplify and make it conform.

There's the union issues... Of course it would be nice to merge everything, not to mention take some of the burden off LGA and probably give them a renovation/expansion. For now its just wishful thinking.

I've yet to see a definite explanation of what the unions are doing to hold up a complete merger and why they are doing such things.

Pretty crazy how new city buses just keep getting slower over the years -- a 6v92 RTS from the 1990s took 36 seconds to get to 50 mph, whereas an LFS today? 40 seconds. Not a huge difference, I guess, but you'd think that the fleet would be getting faster and faster, not slower and slower.

Pretty crazy how new city buses just keep getting slower over the years -- a 6v92 RTS from the 1990s took 36 seconds to get to 50 mph, whereas an LFS today? 40 seconds. Not a huge difference, I guess, but you'd think that the fleet would be getting faster and faster, not slower and slower.
probably the computers, so many 'calculations' and then it gives the bus the 'ok' to proceed. The older stuff, just plain old gears and stuff. Imo*

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Culver" data-cid="640942" data-time="1359871518"><p>

I've yet to see a definite explanation of what the unions are doing to hold up a complete merger and why they are doing such things.</p></blockquote>

It's more than just the union. They would have to streamline management, use all of the same radios in each bus, they would have to raise the pay rate of MTAB employees, and they would have to own the property the the MTAB depots are on (of the 8, they only own 2), and union shit on top of all that. It would cost a whole lot of money that they technically don't have to spend right now.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Culver" data-cid="640942" data-time="1359871518"><p>

I've yet to see a definite explanation of what the unions are doing to hold up a complete merger and why they are doing such things.</p></blockquote>

It's more than just the union. They would have to streamline management, use all of the same radios in each bus, they would have to raise the pay rate of MTAB employees, and they would have to own the property the the MTAB depots are on (of the 8, they only own 2), and union shit on top of all that. It would cost a whole lot of money that they technically don't have to spend right now.

Yep, MTAB drivers don't earn nearly as much as NYCT drivers and that is something that has been brought to my attention by some of those B/Os... The (MTA) was asked to take over those private bus lines because most were losing money like crazy.  Under (MTA) Bus I don't think that bus service has gotten much better aside from the new buses, as most lines have suffered terribly from service cuts.  

Yep, MTAB drivers don't earn nearly as much as NYCT drivers and that is something that has been brought to my attention by some of those B/Os... The (MTA) was asked to take over those private bus lines because most were losing money like crazy.  Under (MTA) Bus I don't think that bus service has gotten much better aside from the new buses, as most lines have suffered terribly from service cuts.  

Actually service in some areas did get better... The B100/B103 and some of the EX Green LInes routes come to mind... But yes, lines did gets cuts...

Under (MTA) Bus, Only 4 routes were cut... The Q89, QM23, BxM4A and BxM7B...

As said, the B103 has gotten so much better than before, and the Q35, Q60, Q10 have also gotten better. 

Edited by Threxx

The Q10 gets the most ridership out if all MTA buses. The Q23, Q25, Q53, W60 and Q65 aren't far behind. When the merger happens I have a feeling CS is going to get the Q64 and maybe the Q19 or Q66. CP could get the Q76 and the Q31. JA the Q112, and for the most part JFK, and lGA routes will stay the same. Flatbush could get the Q35 split and B100. The Q8 moves to SC and yeah that's some of the changes I predict.

As said, the B103 has gotten so much better than before, and the Q35, Q60, Q10 have also gotten better. 

Yeah I wasn't thinking about local bus lines... Just express bus lines since we were discussing the BxM4... But since we're on the subject, I would have to wonder if those routes got better simply because of demand and not so much because of (MTA) Bus... The B103 runs in areas where bus service was eliminated... (B23 and B37)....  Overall excluding the express buses, local buses out of (MTA) Bus saw significant losses in terms of ridership last year.  I wouldn't call that real success... Four routes out of close to 60 local bus routes... 

Actually service in some areas did get better... The B100/B103 and some of the EX Green LInes routes come to mind... But yes, lines did gets cuts...

Under (MTA) Bus, Only 4 routes were cut... The Q89, QM23, BxM4A and BxM7B...

Right but I see more cuts coming under (MTA) Bus... For example BM service has been cut severly. They've cut at least 30 runs on the BM lines over the last 3 - 4 years with very little efforts made to re-structure those routes or make them more usable.  That's the one thing that (MTA) Bus shares with NYCT bus routes...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="MHV9218" data-cid="640950" data-time="1359872587"><p>

Pretty crazy how new city buses just keep getting slower over the years -- a 6v92 RTS from the 1990s took 36 seconds to get to 50 mph, whereas an LFS today? 40 seconds. Not a huge difference, I guess, but you'd think that the fleet would be getting faster and faster, not slower and slower.</p></blockquote>

Well the thing is...our newer buses from like 2006-2010 are hybrids...so that's comparing them to diesels...and then our new buses from 2011-2013 we have the LFS/A with ZFs those accelerate slow...and we have the C40s, XD40s, LFS with allison, and Prevost, now XD60...these allisons have LBSS which slow them down...but without LBSS these buses can go mainly the new C40s and Prevost buses...so they have the ability but I guess with all these new traffic rules and a huge population in a big city, they need to slow the buses down, although they are capable of full speed performance.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="MHV9218" data-cid="640950" data-time="1359872587"><p>

Pretty crazy how new city buses just keep getting slower over the years -- a 6v92 RTS from the 1990s took 36 seconds to get to 50 mph, whereas an LFS today? 40 seconds. Not a huge difference, I guess, but you'd think that the fleet would be getting faster and faster, not slower and slower.</p></blockquote>

Well the thing is...our newer buses from like 2006-2010 are hybrids...so that's comparing them to diesels...and then our new buses from 2011-2013 we have the LFS/A with ZFs those accelerate slow...and we have the C40s, XD40s, LFS with allison, and Prevost, now XD60...these allisons have LBSS which slow them down...but without LBSS these buses can go mainly the new C40s and Prevost buses...so they have the ability but I guess with all these new traffic rules and a huge population in a big city, they need to slow the buses down, although they are capable of full speed performance.

Your only half right here buddy. The 2011 and some of the 2012 C40s have no LBSS. Prevosts don't have it and the XD60s don't have it neither.

The Q10 gets the most ridership out if all MTA buses. The Q23, Q25, Q53, W60 and Q65 aren't far behind. When the merger happens I have a feeling CS is going to get the Q64 and maybe the Q19 or Q66. CP could get the Q76 and the Q31. JA the Q112, and for the most part JFK, and lGA routes will stay the same. Flatbush could get the Q35 split and B100. The Q8 moves to SC and yeah that's some of the changes I predict.

I also think CP could get both Q20 lines. Not sure about the Q44 now that it has artics. If it was before the artics, it would've been ideal with a cng depot on both ends with WF and CP. If those Vikings are still around, I'd favor CS getting some express lines and run the vikings. 

Q35 is better being every 15min. I do like the idea of it being split with FB. I think there could be a direct B116th to KH and 16th st line. So I think they should switch the B2 and B100 lines east of FB av and keep the B2 all at FB, while the B100 is extended past KP all the way to B116th (maybe make it limited stop only in Queens, the stop under the bridge some stop in the middle and finally B116th). This way you can split the B100 as well or have the B100/Q35 swap buses if needed.

Q53, they should've just added the 2 subway transfer stops and leave the rest alone. It's gotten too slow with all the extra stops.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Your only half right here buddy. The 2011 and some of the 2012 C40s have no LBSS. Prevosts don't have it and the XD60s don't have it neither.

Ohh that is right! So only the XD40s and LFS have them, and some C40s. Well those Prevost can take off! im not sure about the XD60s but they look like they accelerate faster than the LFSA. 

That is far from the truth, they accelerate just a tiny bit slower than the Allison units, but picks up speed faster than the Allison units.

That is far from the truth, they accelerate just a tiny bit slower than the Allison units, but picks up speed faster than the Allison units.

Thats what i meant, accelerate slower than the Allisons...

but now quick question...idk how the hybrid system works. all i know is that the hybrids out here in staten island can go, and I THINK, they can get to about 40mph faster than the LFS/3G/XD40.