BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

6656 got a fresh overhaul, looks good. Saw 6389 (overhauled a couple weeks ago), for some reason they didn't repaint the roof on that bus. 3947 also redone at Quill, that bus was done perfectly. None of that Arial-font stuff, numbers in the right place, and the New York City Bus insignia on the black, not the stripe. Looks great, better than a 3G even.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got on a BxM1 bus this morning via Inwood and it wasn't that crowded because of the holiday coming up I guess. I'm sitting in the back as usual and this Dominican guy (with a "café-con-leche" complexion as one of my friends likes to say lol) and his blanquita girlfriend (white chick) get on and come all the way to the back to sit in front of me and snuggle and kiss.  I have to say they were a nice looking couple but the chick kept peeking back at me as if to say did you hear what we were talking about? lol  I almost felt like I was getting a personal invitation to a ménage-à-trois. LOL!  :lol:

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

i know i was suggesting  to try to combat an issue but whatever works for them and i agree people need to read 

Really not necessary IMO... The signage is bright enough these days on the new buses... People just need to stop being so damn lazy and READ! 

People do need to read. Still, multi-color signs would be nice. Have everything display in the usual amber, but have LIMITED appear in violet.

Christ... I always wondered why they kept those Limited stop signs in the window there since the newer signage is much brighter to read now but thinking about it, it's true.  No matter how bright the signs are some folks (esp. the old yentas) are just lazy and lonely and just like to ask to strike up conversations.  Really annoying too.  Some lady on the BxM1 did that crap this morning... Either that or they get on the bus with a gazillion coins.  This young guy got on the other day along Henry Hudson Parkway near 246th street and I was behind him and he's just there with all of these f--ing coins and him and the B/O is there doing the countdown as to how many coins he needs to be put in to make $5.50 and it was raining outside too.  I was thinking to myself, hasn't this guy heard of a f---ing MetroCard before??  <_<

Not all the signs are bright. Older buses have the old green flipdot signs and some of the older hybrids with the orange led signs are so dim/faded it's getting hard to see especially if the sun is shining directly at the front. They should keep the little signs as it works well for the most part. 

as for the people still asking where does the bus go, I think they just need to rename bus lines with multiple branches with a suffix. Too many times people are in a hurry running for the bus, that they don't see the signs and destination.

On the Limited issue, I'd be slightly worried that the wrong sign was thrown up, but the worst that could happen would probably a limited signed as a local. At that point if the operator didn't stop, I'd just open the doors with the emergency handle or by kicking them open, both of which would bring the bus to a halt.

I got on a BxM1 bus this morning via Inwood and it wasn't that crowded because of the holiday coming up I guess. I'm sitting in the back as usual and this Dominican guy (with a "café-con-leche" complexion as one of my friends likes to say lol) and his blanquita girlfriend (white chick) get on and come all the way to the back to sit in front of me and snuggle and kiss.  I have to say they were a nice looking couple but the chick kept peeking back at me as if to say did you hear what we were talking about? lol  I almost felt like I was getting a personal invitation to a ménage-à-trois. LOL!  :lol:

ne pas briser le siège, s'il vous plaît!

Don't break the seat, please!

;) 

The M98 should be an express bus that extends to the bronx. It already has express bus characteristics. It runs infrequently, it only makes return trips 5 time a day, and I believe it doesn't run on the weekend.

Here we go again with the "express bus" mania... And where would this be extended to?? 

ne pas briser le siège, s'il vous plaît!

Don't break the seat, please!

;) 

lol... I almost invited myself over... Luckily they didn't recline or I would've been really up close and personal.

Not all the signs are bright. Older buses have the old green flipdot signs and some of the older hybrids with the orange led signs are so dim/faded it's getting hard to see especially if the sun is shining directly at the front. They should keep the little signs as it works well for the most part. 

as for the people still asking where does the bus go, I think they just need to rename bus lines with multiple branches with a suffix. Too many times people are in a hurry running for the bus, that they don't see the signs and destination.

lol... But you like the old buses remember??

two questions. shortest bus route in the city including MTA bus

other question on MTA Bus why do their buses not display each indvidual subway shuttle's line espically for those who do the (A) train shuttle bus

They can't. No sign code.

Here we go again with the "express bus" mania... And where would this be extended to?? 

lol... I almost invited myself over... Luckily they didn't recline or I would've been really up close and personal.

lol... But you like the old buses remember??

Um, it applies to the old hybrids too and I'm not fond of them. And they have changed some of the signs like with some of the 5100s at Ulmer, so your point is invalid.

what their signs are not compatable like those on ta

MTAB signs can't display NYCT routes, and vice versa.

====================================

LMAO, the MTA still has the '09 S42 schedule on their site!

(yay for being able to edit posts 27 minutes after the fact)

Edited by CDTA

The only codes you would see on both NYCT Bus and MTA bus are...

NOT IN SERVICE

NEXT BUS PLEASE

TRAINING BUS

X81 to/from Randalls Island

As for the shortest route, im pretty sure its the B42 with only 8 blocks it travels. From end to end it takes about 10 minutes

NOT IN SERVICE

NEXT BUS PLEASE

TRAINING BUS

As for the shortest route, im pretty sure its the B42 with only 8 blocks it travels. From end to end it takes about 10 minutes

SUBWAY SHUTTLE is also on both, I believe LIRR SERVICE and MNR SERVICE are on both as well. But yep, only on the TA buses can you put up something like A TRAIN TO FAR ROCKAWAY or LIRR TRAIN TO JAMAICA.

NOT IN SERVICE

NEXT BUS PLEASE

TRAINING BUS

Along with the x80 which shows up on both sides of NYCT and MTA Bus as well.