BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

The Q53 really sucks out of College Point, takes forever. It's not even the bunching, it bunched under LGA all the time and still ran decently for the most part.

Hey, it took the Q38 3.5 years just to provide some decent service when transferred to CP (so you'll probably have to wait that long...lol).

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Bus Time that's why I'm asking and all of the schedules that I need are on my cell phone. I'm really not sure what they are to be honest. All I see when I ride are the maps at the bus stops and the schedules (timetables). Aside from that I don't pay attention to anything else, but College Pt Man made such a stink about them a while back, so I was curious as to whether or not he ever got them. In any event what purpose do they serve exactly?

That was in 2012 though. What do you even mean did I ever get them? Oh I didn't know we can get them in the mail -_- . Just stop bringing old stuff up its annoying.

Agreed completely. They're damn good quality buses and move well LBSS or not, but 455 was a total rocketship, hence me guessing it was a non-LBSS bus. And you make a good point about the build quality. Amazing that the C40LFs are basically on par with the 3Gs while the XD40s are rattly messes. I think NFI just started rushing when building the XD40s. I guess with the C40LFs, the fact that production had been going for over a decade (so workers know the build like the back of their hand) and that there was no need to pump them out quickly to impress allowed for a steady build and great quality.

Its not LBSS.

Its a shorter gear ratio program to keep the top end at 45-50 mph.

Hey, it took the Q38 3.5 years just to provide some decent service when transferred to CP (so you'll probably have to wait that long...lol).

What are you talking about? The Q38 still has terrible OTP (on time performance) to this day.

Edited by 4P3607

You know what I don't get? People say..."oh New Flyer has terrible build quality"

But what confuses me is the C40LF and the XD40, those C40LFs are super solid, takes bumps perfectly, no rattling, or squeaking. However, with the XD40s, all of them rattle, all of them sound like they will fall apart, although they do take bumps nicely. How is this possible if its by the same company New Flyer? 

New Flyer does have terrible build quality, or at least it does now, which I find most transit vehicle manufacturers do at this time, but I digress.

The differences as far as the original Low Floor and the Xcelsior are quite stark looking in to it..

The LF had began development in 1988, and entered production three years later in 1991. Arguably the LF is derivative of the standard floor equivalents of the time, which are now unofficially referred to as HF's. As such the structural components are comprised of that made the HF's durable were carried over to the LF's. Further than that the model pioneered the semi low floor design which is predominately found in North American transit buses today.

The Xcelsior in contrast was a platform that began development in 2008 and didn't take off in the market for a good two years, until 2010. The intent with the Xcelsior was to revolutionize the industry by offering a vehicle that would lower costs and deliver performance as well as aesthetics at a reasonable rate. To achieve that New Flyer resorted to using different materials to achieve a lightweight structure which would give a greater fuel economy and reduce build costs. When possible composite and other lightweight components were used in place of stainless steel, etc, etc.

So in summary it's most likely a weight differential, along with an increased backlog which may rush production.

Was on 455 today and that thing takes off like a goddamn top fuel dragster. Guessing it's a C40LF without LBSS...not that LBSS C40LFs go slow when not heavily loaded either.

From what i've been noticing most of the 300's and 400's are taking off like a rocket. My guess Gleason fixed them up (Finally). They were NEVER like that when they came in.

I wanna drive a C40 one day OMG! The driver's area looks so cool :)

It ain't cool unless there's a Clever Device touchscreen so I can hit the "P/S" button to trigger public service announcements for people who piss me off. Now a NICE 3rd Gen, that I'd go for.

I can see it now, tapping "for the comfort of others, please limit cell phone usage and volume" every 5 seconds when there's someone bitching away on their phone. Or "smoking, drinking and eating are not allowed on board, thank you" when some guy can't wait until he gets home to eat that McDonald's and throw all the garbage on the floor.

Lol what about routes that only run via one street? & Latley I been liking the current C40's a lot more than the originals.

In that case have fun with the transients on the :bus_bullet_b35:

It ain't cool unless there's a Clever Device touchscreen so I can hit the "P/S" button to trigger public service announcements for people who piss me off. Now a NICE 3rd Gen, that I'd go for.

I can see it now, tapping "for the comfort of others, please limit cell phone usage and volume" every 5 seconds when there's someone bitching away on their phone. Or "smoking, drinking and eating are not allowed on board, thank you" when some guy can't wait until he gets home to eat that McDonald's and throw all the garbage on the floor.

It's called the intercom, lol.

In that case have fun with the transients on the :bus_bullet_b35:

Lol na dubb that I would rather drive the B63. It has less headways (Easier on me) & nice people take that route. Someone else can take all those Flatbush heads on the 35.

This is random but I always get a Black JG B/O everytime I take lines the B35, B8, B43 ect.

Lol you went in. Edited by E For Erica

With the renovation of Williamsburg Bridge Plaza, I think there are some changes to be made to this station. 

1. There should be a covered walkway w/steps to the train station nearby for convenience

2. Instead of having the 59, 32, and 62 stop at Broadway and Roebling (Roebling and 8th for 62 to downtown brooklyn, I would built a 7th platform for the 32/62 since both go to Long Island city, I would combine the 39 and the q59 into platform 1.  

3. I would keep the downtown b62 as is 

I wanna drive a C40 one day OMG! The driver's area looks so cool  :)

I say this about the cockpit of the xcelsior's whenever I look into it....

Lol na dubb that I would rather drive the B63. It has less headways (Easier on me) & nice people take that route. Someone else can take all those Flatbush heads on the 35.

This is random but I always get a Black JG B/O everytime I take lines the B35, B8, B43 ect.

1) I hope you have enough patience to want to operate on that route... You will be having to maneuver around a lot of double parkers, even moreso than along the 35 (which says enough)..... Doesn't help that 5th is a little more narrow than church, so you'll have to have more skill as well...... Then there's game days/concert days at Barclays, ughk, I don't have the patience for that shit (motorists [likely evading 4th] are using 5th more & more, I've noticed).... I don't know how old you are or if you drive or not, but the one thing I get peeved at real quick is having to sit in standstill traffic (highway, major/local roads, don't matter)..... I'm someone that can't be idle for too long, or else I get irritated.... With all that said, I'd rather put up with the nzzzz BS on the B35 over that......

2) I'm noticing more white b/o's on the 35 as I'm walking along Church here (maybe new guys, who knows)... The B8, I haven't taken in a minute.... Last couple B43's I've taken recently, it's been a mix of black & white male ops

(side note: walking the Pulaski Bridge has gotten less safer IMO.... I used to like to walk that bridge, now you have to always be on alert w/ the stark increase of bicyclists traveling in both directions.... Instead of taking the 62 to the 43 out of LIC, I would walk the bridge & get off at the Box st stairwell & walk over to the 43 terminal for it... Sometimes even walking from QBP along Jackson, etc....)

With the renovation of Williamsburg Bridge Plaza, I think there are some changes to be made to this station. 

1. There should be a covered walkway w/steps to the train station nearby for convenience

2. Instead of having the 59, 32, and 62 stop at Broadway and Roebling (Roebling and 8th for 62 to downtown brooklyn, I would built a 7th platform for the 32/62 since both go to Long Island city, I would combine the 39 and the q59 into platform 1.  

3. I would keep the downtown b62 as is 

1) Despite the fact I think this would be a waste of money, How would you pull this off though? Especially for folks utilizing the Jamaica Ctr. bound platform.....

What's more needed there than another set of steps, is an elevator....

2) A 7th lane? While ideal I guess, there's no space (width-wise) for that.... 

As far as buses sharing lanes (in general), that I can agree with.... However, I'd have the B32 share the lane currently occupied by the B24, since both are high headway routes & happen to use the Broadway exit out of WBP...... Perhaps the Q54 can share one with the Q59 as well (since the intra-Brooklyn riders on the 54/59 tend walk to/from whichever platform, depending on whichever bus arrive first)....

Sans the B62 (which I think should remain outside of the terminal), Problem solved.

3) Yeah, not much of a choice with that....

Man it takes a lot to be a bus driver, I for one would probably snap dealing with the unruly passengers of NYC...

This.

Isn't it better to interline the B32 and B39 together, as they have similar runtime, arrive at WBP at the same time and leave at the same time, and leave those two interlined, instead of making other lines interline with the B32.

Interlining? We're talking about lane distribution inside WBP......

But to address the post..... Interlining the 32 with the 39 would be a disaster waiting to happen), for the same reason it makes no sense to send 44's or 46's to Manhattan (as few have suggested in the past)..... You would have w/e few folks wanting the 32, taking 59's or 62's..... In other words (as much as I don't think the route (32) should even exist), you'd deter folks from wanting to utilize the route, with interlining it with a route that has to deal w/ the headache along Delancey & what not.... The idea should be to spawn ridership, not detract from what little of it exists.... The waits for either route would only increase; their (coverage) headways are justifiably high enough.

Besides, it would be infeasible for 32's to leave from the current lane the B39 leaves from.....

Edited by B35 via Church

You know i was thinking about that too...

...from the looks of it by the B24 lane, you could squeeze some space for another lane if you shift the B46 lane over, i mean it has 2 lanes anyway and there more than enough parking space in the back of the terminal for all those buses

...from the looks of it by the B24 lane, you could squeeze some space for another lane if you shift the B46 lane over, i mean it has 2 lanes anyway and there more than enough parking space in the back of the terminal for all those buses

I was gonna bring that up in my last post (about the B46 lane being 2 vehicles wide), but even if you made the 46 lane 1-wide & shifted the other lanes southward, you still wouldn't have enough space for a 7th lane...... Remember, you would need a corresponding platform for an extra lane..... I don't see the space existing for that.

You know wen writing that post I didn't men another lane as in parallel to the other lane I thought of the lane bieng way behind the 39 platform where the "mta employees only" trailer is (that is assuming that during renovation thet would incorporate it intp the indoor waiting room they are planning, therefore making room for a platform ther, but not connected to the 39 platform so the 39 or other bus could turn in and would have the 32/62 there. As for the 39, as ludacris as this sounds, I would move ot to the sbs lane as the 44 is not as frequent there and supposedly oesn't spend much time loading passengers since it is off board fare collection, therefore opening up the other platform for whatever combination

Edit: Excuse my spelling mistakes, I don't usually spell like this, I am just writing from my phone

Edited by NYSubwayBuff

I say this about the cockpit of the xcelsior's whenever I look into it....

1) I hope you have enough patience to want to operate on that route... You will be having to maneuver around a lot of double parkers, even moreso than along the 35 (which says enough)..... Doesn't help that 5th is a little more narrow than church, so you'll have to have more skill as well...... Then there's game days/concert days at Barclays, ughk, I don't have the patience for that shit (motorists [likely evading 4th] are using 5th more & more, I've noticed).... I don't know how old you are or if you drive or not, but the one thing I get peeved at real quick is having to sit in standstill traffic (highway, major/local roads, don't matter)..... I'm someone that can't be idle for too long, or else I get irritated.... With all that said, I'd rather put up with the nzzzz BS on the B35 over that......

2) I'm noticing more white b/o's on the 35 as I'm walking along Church here (maybe new guys, who knows)... The B8, I haven't taken in a minute.... Last couple B43's I've taken recently, it's been a mix of black & white male ops

(side note: walking the Pulaski Bridge has gotten less safer IMO.... I used to like to walk that bridge, now you have to always be on alert w/ the stark increase of bicyclists traveling in both directions.... Instead of taking the 62 to the 43 out of LIC, I would walk the bridge & get off at the Box st stairwell & walk over to the 43 terminal for it... Sometimes even walking from QBP along Jackson, etc....)

Yeah I would haul ass on a XD40 too & Interesting about the B35 compared to the B63. Thing is, I only took the B35 literally ONE time & I'm more familiar with the B63 since that was one of the routes in my original neighborhood. That's why I said I rather do the B63. But I live in Queens so if I do drive one anytime soon it'll probably be on a CP route... PROBABLY. I might be willing to work out of Brooklyn depot still. But for some reason, even though I know I could do cooler, more talented things as a carrer, I just can't shake the feeling of wanting to be a bus driver smh lol.

That was in 2012 though. What do you even mean did I ever get them? Oh I didn't know we can get them in the mail -_- . Just stop bringing old stuff up its annoying.

lol... I don't have a clue of what they are so how would I know? All I remember was you going on and on about them, so I figured they must be important.