BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

No, because the overall runtime is less, and the MTA is constraint to a budget. The extension of the X17 is 32 minutes long, and besides, it makes much more sense to do that, then have two bus loads of people. Only if ridership really increases, then that would probably happen, but for the meantime, I don't think that should happen, keep the 17 as it is middays.

In other words, the LIRR Bustitution was so-so, they had FR, JFK, CP, SC, and BP out there, when I was there.

Also, 5168 had an accident with some car by the gas station on Utopia Pkwy and HHE.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldnt it be easier to run the X22 to Tottenville on the midday schedule besides the X17 making a long distance durning the weekday midday?

(being the X22 to run on weekdays) 

I would agree with BM5... Not only this but the X17 also offers Downtown service which the X22 doesn't have at the moment.  It allows them to study how much Downtown usage there is and perhaps add a Downtown branch in the future specifically for Tottenville, which has been talked about now for quite some time.  I think eventually it will happen if the South Shore continues to grow in population.  It all depends on how much the X1 continues to grow.  As ridership increases, they'll be forced to come up with new branches to keep run times short, as those X1 trips despite being packed are still expensive to run due to how long they are.  Right now what people do more than likely just drive to the Eltingville Transit Center for Downtown service from areas further south (i.e. Prince's Bay, Tottenville, etc.).

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I wondered, if the MTA invested in a tracking system where it shows how full a bus is, based on the amount of seats and fares paid:

Key West Transit uses that method, as well as Los Angeles:

15470398111_d76f395111_b.jpgKey West Florida Bus Tracking System by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

http://www.syncromatics.com/products/automatedpassengercounting

It could cut expenses with the traffic checkers by a ton. Granted, there would still be some, but only on the higher used routes or something, while the rest would be handled by the tracking system.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

I wondered, if the MTA invested in a tracking system where it shows how full a bus is, based on the amount of seats and fares paid:

Key West Transit uses that method:

15470398111_d76f395111_b.jpgKey West Florida Bus Tracking System by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

Doubt it(because they are the (MTA)), but is seems like a good idea maybe email them to give them the idea.

Also, how would the (MTA) track it's passengers? The fare box? Sometimes, people sneak through the back and the driver doesn't even know about them. This is most common during rush hrs.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Key West Transit uses that method, as well as Los Angeles:

http://www.syncromatics.com/products/automatedpassengercounting

It could cut expensive with the traffic checkers by a ton. Granted, there would still be some, but only on the higher used routes or something, while the rest would be handled by the tracking system.

Considering the MTA's system was a rather cheap in-house setup it's not likely, but who knows. That system obviously came from a vendor that has a complete "smart bus" system with automatic passenger counters and automatic announcements that work together with each other. MTA will be getting counters from Clever Devices along with announcements starting next year, I don't know if they could hook that up with the Bustime system since it's probably their proprietary system but maybe they will be able to. (possibly through a licensing fee?)

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

Okay, what was an X24 doing on the LIE near Woodhaven Blvd (towards Tysens Lane) today??

I'm thinking along the lines that Academy drivers may use the same bus for charters and commuter runs. I was reading on BusChat about some Trails/Greyhound runs and how their companies will schedule it so that they have commuter and charter runs built in the same run.