BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

It seems like the B12 is unreliable and that's why it gets crushed. I deal with the same problem with the Q17. You can wait for about 20 minutes for one during the afternoon 3-5pm to be exact. You see one show up sometimes packed but not always and then a minute or two later just Q17 after Q17 shows up. Yesterday I saw 5 Q17's pass within 3 minutes and then the next one did not show up for a good 15 minutes. I feel like this lateness and bunching is an extremely bad problem that the (MTA) has. And this problem in the long run hurts ridership. That's why numbers on routes like the Q17 constantly go down. You wait 20 minutes for one bus to come around 3pm and its crushed. I mean come on at least throw some artics on these lines so it won't be as bad.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some mixed feelings about this dispatching technique they use on the Bx12 SBS during the PM sometimes: They'll send an empty bus from the depot/Co-op City/Pelham Bay and deadhead it all the way to White Plains Road. Sure, it kinda works by bringing an empty bus to one of the busiest stops at that time but the line can't afford to have long gaps then only one in-service crush loaded bus show up for the Pelham Pkwy stops. Sure the loads balance out after WPR, but having gaps in service followed by an empty deadheading bus then a packed bus?

I guess it works, yet it doesn't work at the same time.

Not only that, a contract was assigned I believe a month ago for battery replacements.

Sweet. Batteries nowadays are so much better than they were when those OGs and even NGs were built. I assume the MTA went with the cheapest, explodiest, batteries they could possibly find, though. Or the most expensive and least efficient batteries they could find. Seems to always be that way with them: cheapest/worst or most-expensive/worst.

Sweet. Batteries nowadays are so much better than they were when those OGs and even NGs were built. I assume the MTA went with the cheapest, explodiest, batteries they could possibly find, though. Or the most expensive and least efficient batteries they could find. Seems to always be that way with them: cheapest/worst or most-expensive/worst.

It aint the batteries that gave the OGs issues, it was the hybridrive systems on at least a handful of them. The only NG that really went up in flames was 4002, which was because of driver error several years ago.

If only we went with parallel hybrid systems, little to no problems across the board. I've been on a few in Seattle and they're not too bad.

So I was browsing through my Instagram this morning and one of my friends from high school posted this:

Screenshot_2014-10-23-10-33-21_zps185f52

Don't know the exact location or route.

From this picture, I would have thought the Camry tried to outrun the bus while making the turn but it looks as if it was trying to go straight? Either way...never play chicken with a bus.

It aint the batteries that gave the OGs issues, it was the hybridrive systems on at least a handful of them. The only NG that really went up in flames was 4002, which was because of driver error several years ago.

If only we went with parallel hybrid systems, little to no problems across the board. I've been on a few in Seattle and they're not too bad.

Blame Orion for only offering the BAE Hybridrive

My mom and I saw an MCI (from Spring Creek) being towed up the Deegan in the Bronx this morning, and the first thing she tells me is "they sure have had a lot of accidents lately." I tell her how weird that is since before you would rarely hear of an MTA bus getting into an accident, and then she says "I don't think the bus drivers are crashing into the cars, I think the car drivers are crashing into them on purpose to sue the MTA and get quick money."

It makes sense. But has there really been an uptick in bus accidents?

Edited by paulrivera

So I was browsing through my Instagram this morning and one of my friends from high school posted this:

Screenshot_2014-10-23-10-33-21_zps185f52

Don't know the exact location or route.

From this picture, I would have thought the Camry tried to outrun the bus while making the turn but it looks as if it was trying to go straight? Either way...never play chicken with a bus.

The accident happened at Remsen and Flatlands Ave.
The car came out the TD bank parking lot.
Don't know how or why it happened

From what I was told, the bean counters decides it would be cheaper to keep the buses as they are now

BAE and Orion engineering* are also working on a number of revisions to help improve the reliability of the existing fielded hybrid systems. Has NYCT had the dedicated air intake for the motor/generator retrofitted in the OG hybrids like the NG hybrids have? Toronto has recently had it retrofitted in their OG hybrids. There was also discussion about moving the hybrid control system (PCS) on the OGs to the roof like the NGs to help with reliability, but I'm not sure what the progress is on that.

*I know Orion isn't in the business of selling buses anymore. But they still have a few people on staff to oversee that service is being provided to existing fleets, and to assist where necessary.

No, they got whatever came standard with the BAE Hybridrive at the time.

I agree and disagree. The BAE hybridrive has had it's fair share of issues as you stated, and the batteries are no exception to that. Also remember that both the BAE and Allison systems had their fair share of teething issues when they were first introduced. Seattle had many issues with battery life and state of charge (to the point extra batteries had to be added to later orders) and finding a engine that could adequately power the hybrid system for their needs. One thing I found surprising was that Seattle is in the process of replacing the current NiHM batteries in their Allison hybrids with Lithium batteries as they fail.

Both the Allison and BAE hybrids have come a long way since that you can't even compare them to early versions. For example, even the first version of the BAE hybrids had many component changes over the years, and the new design introduced in 2010 is not even comparable to the earlier hybridrive systems. 

Edited by DaimlerBuses

Was near Rockaway Pkwy earlier and it reminded me of something I wanted to talk about but always slipped my mind...

Something has to be done with the WB B6/82 in that area. They both turn on E. 98 (and skipping that stop on Flatlands/E. 98) just to go back to the (L), then coming down Rockaway Pkwy and turning back onto Flatlands, THEN serving that stop on E. 98. Its like everyone at that stop gets a false hope that the bus is gonna stop there, only to fly past them, turn the corner, and come back 5 minutes later.

I mean, wouldn't it be easier for them to just make that right onto Rockaway Pkwy (the B60 does it already) then serving the station, then coming back down into Flatlands? Or even just straight eliminating that stop since there's a stop right across Rockaway Pkwy (in front of the church).

Was near Rockaway Pkwy earlier and it reminded me of something I wanted to talk about but always slipped my mind...

Something has to be done with the WB B6/82 in that area. They both turn on E. 98 (and skipping that stop on Flatlands/E. 98) just to go back to the (L), then coming down Rockaway Pkwy and turning back onto Flatlands, THEN serving that stop on E. 98. Its like everyone at that stop gets a false hope that the bus is gonna stop there, only to fly past them, turn the corner, and come back 5 minutes later.

I mean, wouldn't it be easier for them to just make that right onto Rockaway Pkwy (the B60 does it already) then serving the station, then coming back down into Flatlands? Or even just straight eliminating that stop since there's a stop right across Rockaway Pkwy (in front of the church).

What exactly is the confusion?  It should be clear which bus stops where as long as the signage is correct?

Rockaway Parkway has more traffic than E98th Street.. The B60 goes straight down Rockaway Parkway where's the 6 and 82 gotta turn AGAIN at that side street (forgot its name). The current route is fine as things move quicker, Rockaway Parkway near the  (L)  can be congested at times.

Is the MTA already backing out of their service enhancements already?

Planned Detour 
B67 - No service between Adams St/Tillary St to Wythe St/Division St

Until further notice

Due to construction, buses operate between Cortelyou Rd/McDonald Av and Adams St/Tillary St.
Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Quick edit in my first post, its, E. 96 St they turn in, not E. 98...

What exactly is the confusion? It should be clear which bus stops where as long as the signage is correct?

Going westbound on Flatlands, there's a bus stop for westbound buses on the corner of Flatlands and E. 96. They don't stop there (at first), and instead keep going to make that right onto E. 96. Then they go on Glenwood (effectively backtracking for about 3 or so blocks) so serve the (L). Then they come out the station onto Rockaway Pkwy, make the right back onto Flatlands (a block from where it originally started), then serve that E. 96 St stop.

Picture coming shortly, it'll make it clearer Here's the picture...

the green dot represents the stop on Flatlands/E. 96 St I was referring to. 

10583979_10204270269431237_4392092707138

Edited by Fresh Pond