BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sure isn't, and aside from that the Metrocard vending machines on the (1) along Broadway are horrendous.  There is only one at 238th which usually doesn't work and the ones at 242nd are also spotty.  There's about 4 total machines there and on numerous occasions, only one of those machines have worked.

People can always purchase a MetroCard via the station agent and not just the machine.

Unless he said something particularly offensive or rude, I'm not sure what the problem was. It's not 'threatening you' with the police, that's just an actual thing he could have done. He could have called the cops but he was good enough not to, since believe me they would have been a lot ruder than he was. I'm sure he said that cause he figured he hadn't done much wrong.

As I said, I won't post what he said, so you should figure out what he said was rude and offensive and i've seen other people get on without saying much or even anything at all. Just the other day at The Hub, a driver on a local Bx4A waved two people on without them saying anything to him. It's not required by law for him to call the cops. That's a decision he made on his own. If he figured he hadn't done much wrong with how he acted and what he said, he should look for another job.

Most New Yorkers do not walk around with large amounts of cash. Aside from that the station agent cannot give you a receipt, which I need for all of my Metrocard transactions for tax purposes.

I never said they should. Take $10 or however much you need for that particular trip.

You mean to actually tell me that you seriously deduct your MetroCard transactions from your taxes?

You mean to actually tell me that you seriously deduct your MetroCard transactions from your taxes?

Why wouldn't I? I'm an independent consultant on the side, so I am legally allowed to deduct my transportation expenses, along with other things that go with running one's own side business/working for yourself.  My side work forces me to travel a lot and so it's understood to be an expense that I incur as part of doing business.  I'm also allowed to deduct part of my cell phone expenses and a host of other things.  I keep the receipts just in case the IRS decides to do an audit of my expenses. 

For what it's worth, most people that work for a business enroll in a pre-tax program whereby whatever Metrocard they need gets deducted from their paycheck before they have taxes taken out, thereby making their tax burden lower since their gross looks smaller before they receive their net.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Why wouldn't I? I'm an independent consultant on the side, so I am legally allowed to deduct my transportation expenses, along with other things that go with running one's own side business/working for yourself.  My side work forces me to travel a lot and so it's understood to be an expense that I incur as part of doing business.  I'm also allowed to deduct part of my cell phone expenses and a host of other things.  I keep the receipts just in case the IRS decides to do an audit of my expenses. 

For what it's worth, most people that work for a business enroll in a pre-tax program whereby whatever Metrocard they need gets deducted from their paycheck before they have taxes taken out, thereby making their tax burden lower since their gross looks smaller before they receive their net.

After reading this, especially that last part, all businesses should do this.

After reading this, especially that last part, all businesses should do this.

A lot of businesses do it, but the program itself can be a hassle.  The first company I worked for had it, but didn't have the Metrocard I used so I received transit checks from my boss.  It was a pain to get Metrocards with it since you couldn't use the checks at subway stations (clerks didn't take them).  You could only use it at stores or check cashing places that participated in the program, and you had to hope that they were in stock with the cards you needed.  They have since changed the program and give employees a credit card with the funds loaded onto the credit card so that you can purchase what you need, but that has been problematic as well.  Sometimes the money isn't loaded on the card even though the money was deducted from your paycheck amongst other issues.  I don't use the program with my current employer since I already get a tax benefit from my side work.

Well the Q112 re-route already has happened. The Q24/113/114 stop at the former Q112 stop on Archer and 160. The Q111 to Rosedale/Cedarhurst stops at the former Q113/114 stop. The Q111 to 137/Farmers remains at the same stop.

Edited by Q43LTD

Well, not saying anything isn't/wasn't gonna help you.

What bothers me is how people claim they didn't know that their Metrocard was empty or underfunded, since every time you dip it in the farebox, it shows the remaining balance. The problem is,most people don't bother to check that & then play dumb.

What bothers me is how people claim they didn't know that their Metrocard was empty or underfunded, since every time you dip it in the farebox, it shows the remaining balance. The problem is,most people don't bother to check that & then play dumb.

Most people don't pay attention.  I usually just dip and go since I have an express bus pass, but when I use a pay-per-ride, I have to make a note to pay special attention to see how much is deducted and how much I have left on the card.

I don't think it's right for you to comment on my situation without knowing whether or not I check the card to see how much is on it. As I stated above, this has happened before on a local bus and while people did stop at the farebox, they said NOTHING and the driver waved them on.

I don't think it's right for you to comment on my situation without knowing whether or not I check the card to see how much is on it. As I stated above, this has happened before on a local bus and while people did stop at the farebox, they said NOTHING and the driver waved them on.

Actually he didn't comment on your situation at all.  He made a statement in general which you are clearly sensitive about.

Actually he didn't comment on your situation at all.  He made a statement in general which you are clearly sensitive about.

I doubt he would've said anything had I not brought it up since no one else was talking about this at present time. 

It's interesting people skip over the local bus driver waving the passengers on without them paying.

Maybe I am a bit sensitive because I didn't expect people to take the drivers' side due to what he said, but, without being repetitive, I don't want to get banned due to its content, so we'll leave this part of it here.

Edited by lupojohn

I doubt he would've said anything had I not brought it up since no one else was talking about this at present time. And before you say he would've posted it even if I didn't post my original comment on the issue, I doubt he would've. 

It's interesting people skip over the local bus driver waving the passengers on without them paying.

The point is he didn't quote you and he didn't mention you in his post.  His comment was a general one which applies to quite a number of riders.

The point is he didn't quote you and he didn't mention you in his post.  His comment was a general one which applies to quite a number of riders.

And the part about the local driver waving passengers on when they said nothing, whereas people said I should've said something?

And the part about the local driver waving passengers on when they said nothing, whereas people said I should've said something?

Farebeating is FAR more common on the local buses.  Farebeating is not tolerated on express buses because the fare is higher and the types of people riding are usually upper middle class folks.  Completely different situation.  The demographic of most local bus riders consists mainly of poor people, with exceptions existing in some areas of the city, so farebeating is expected on the local buses.

The same set up with the subway vs Metro-North. I have seen riders kicked off of Metro-North for farebeating. They were given the option to get off at the next stop or have the cops called on them. 

Farebeating is FAR more common on the local buses.  Farebeating is not tolerated on express buses because the fare is higher and the types of people riding are usually upper middle class folks.  Completely different situation.  The demographic of most local bus riders consists mainly of poor people, with exceptions existing in some areas of the city, so farebeating is expected on the local buses.

The same set up with the subway vs Metro-North. I have seen riders kicked off of Metro-North for farebeating. They were given the option to get off at the next stop or have the cops called on them. 

I would categorize myself as upper middle class and I don't farebeat. It was a one time incident and, as such, that doesn't give the driver an excuse to assist in what you call farebeating.

I would categorize myself as upper middle class and I don't farebeat. It was a one time incident and, as such, that doesn't give the driver an excuse to assist in what you call farebeating.

lol... If you say so... In any event, you're not a regular express bus rider, so you can't expect to be waived on like that.  Yonkers drivers are generally quite strict with enforcing the fare.  I know quite a few of the drivers personally, and some of them will allow it once IF you are respectful and have a legitimate reason and they know you regularly ride, but don't expect to get on there with some BS excuse over and over (or even worse, do what you did, drop a few coins in and walk and take a seat) because they will kick you off.  They take it as a disrespect and an abuse of their kindness.

I myself have been waived on by regulars. I used to have a bad habit of keeping my Metrocard on my kitchen counter and forgetting it.  I had a backup that didn't have enough on it and used it by mistake and only then realized that I had left my pass at home. The B/O waived me on since he knew I had a pass and clearly forgot it at home and I thanked him, as I would've had a long walk home and back to the bus stop.  The next day I made sure I had the pass.

lol... If you say so... In any event, you're not a regular express bus rider, so you can't expect to be waived on like that.  Yonkers drivers are generally quite strict with enforcing the fare.  I know quite a few of the drivers personally, and some of them will allow it once IF you are respectful and have a legitimate reason and they know you regularly ride, but don't expect to get on there with some BS excuse over and over (or even worse, do what you did, drop a few coins in and walk and take a seat) because they will kick you off.  They take it as a disrespect and an abuse of their kindness.

I myself have been waived on by regulars. I used to have a bad habit of keeping my Metrocard on my kitchen counter and forgetting it.  I had a backup that didn't have enough on it and used it by mistake and only then realized that I had left my pass at home. The B/O waived me on since he knew I had a pass and clearly forgot it at home and I thanked him, as I would've had a long walk home and back to the bus stop.  The next day I made sure I had the pass.

What makes you think I am not upper middle class? This answer I am eagerly awaiting to hear.

As we've discussed in other threads and as I have mentioned, I ride the BxM1 literally every day. I even remember describing a driver to you that I caught several times.

You don't have a wallet to keep your MetroCard in with all your money? :P

The demographic of most local bus riders consists mainly of poor people, with exceptions existing in some areas of the city, so farebeating is expected on the local buses.

Actually thats not quite try, there are plenty of buses throughout areas of NE Queens, Central Queens, SW Queens, Astoria, southern Brooklyn, Northwest Bronx, and other exclusive areas, which all are well utilized.

What makes you think I am not upper middle class? This answer I am eagerly awaiting to hear.

As we've discussed in other threads and as I have mentioned, I ride the BxM1 literally every day. I even remember describing a driver to you that I caught several times.

You don't have a wallet to keep your MetroCard in with all your money? :P

Usually, upper middle class people are described as someone who makes an income of $75,000-100,000, or even more.

I dont know how much you make (and I dont wanna drag it into a class debate, furthermore, I dont need to know). Ill let you determine that

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Well my story today: I was at 231st St/Broadway and going to see family in Riverdale. Just as I got to the stop, a Bx7 had just pulled out, so then a Bx20 pulled in, I decided to hop on and transfer later. I got off at HH Pkway/239th St. by the monument. And no Bx7 or Bx10 was coming anytime soon. then it just happened that a northbound BxM18 bus was pulling into the stop, and the driver asked if I was going to Riverdale ave. then he let me on for NO CHARGE. I am glad to say there are still good people in this world.

Actually thats not quite try, there are plenty of buses throughout areas of NE Queens, Central Queens, SW Queens, Astoria, southern Brooklyn, Northwest Bronx, and other exclusive areas, which all are well utilized.

Usually, upper middle class people are described as someone who makes an income of $75,000-100,000, or even more.

I dont know how much you make (and I dont wanna drag it into a class debate, furthermore, I dont need to know). Ill let you determine that

I respect your decision on the matter. Let's just say I don't determine class by salary. If so, our friend here would not come close to qualifying for the upper middle class :P

Well my story today: I was at 231st St/Broadway and going to see family in Riverdale. Just as I got to the stop, a Bx7 had just pulled out, so then a Bx20 pulled in, I decided to hop on and transfer later. I got off at HH Pkway/239th St. by the monument. And no Bx7 or Bx10 was coming anytime soon. then it just happened that a northbound BxM18 bus was pulling into the stop, and the driver asked if I was going to Riverdale ave. then he let me on for NO CHARGE. I am glad to say there are still good people in this world.

He's a good man, but, as i've cited in all my examples, it should NOT be allowed.