BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Maybe that one suburban Fishbowl in the museum fleet can't handle highway running in its senior age.

There's one Fishbowl with suburban seating in the vintage bus fleet.

EDIT: 8928 is the fishbowl with suburban seating, its one of the first express buses the TA ever bought for the Staten Island - Manhattan express route back in Dec of 69.

I completely forgot about that one. They probably won't run it on the express due to the pretty good chance of it breaking down.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they object, that's one thing. I'll abide to his/her objection. I've complied with those who politely showed in their own way that they didn't want to be on camera.

But if they act like an a**hole about it, I'll still take my photo and walk along my merry way. It's a matter of respect from my POV.

As for this one below....good luck trying to be alone in public.... especially with a job that requires you to work with the public...inside and outside of the bus!

Also, if the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't care who would take my picture while in operation.

And that's the whole problem.  It comes down to what makes people feel comfortable and what makes people feel uncomfortable, and some people simply don't like being on camera or having photos taken of them.  Now you may say well people are on camera all of the time, but that's totally different from someone aiming something at you and clearly targeting you to be a part of something that you don't want to be in, and those videos or pictures are usually posted online for the world to see and they usually NEVER go away.  The information on video cameras usually isn't held and posted online unless some sort of criminal activity was committed.

A photo may be taken of someone in a situation that they're embarrassed about and then the person that takes the photo then posts that online to further exacerbate the situation.  It's certainly a form of disrespect and harassment. You keep saying that you wouldn't have a problem with it, but that's because you're assuming that no picture or video would be taken of you in a situation that you weren't so proud of out in public.  If you were humiliated or in a situation that you weren't so proud of you would be singing a different tune.

I know a couple years ago, it did a trip on the BxM10. I don't understand why they don't run the PBL museum buses. I would love to see 10001 or 275 back in service.

They don't run 10001 or 275 because RTS's are still running in service, these runs are for tourists and non busfans, that's why nothing newer than 5227 ever runs on these trips.

A photo may be taken of someone in a situation that they're embarrassed about and then the person that takes the photo then posts that online to further exacerbate the situation.  It's certainly a form of disrespect and harassment. You keep saying that you wouldn't have a problem with it, but that's because you're assuming that no picture or video would be taken of you in a situation that you weren't so proud of out in public.  If you were humiliated or in a situation that you weren't so proud of you would be singing a different tune.

That's where you're wrong.

1. Can you explain to us what kind of embarrassing situations we'd catch a bus operator in? Like really....you're putting us in a category that's about the same as those that records videos of the operators doing things they aren't supposed to do. If you've seen a post from any one of us involving anything like that, please bring them up. Until then, stop spouting nonsense.

What exactly do you think we'd catch a B/O doing, making out with someone? Rubbing one off on the bus? Breaking stuff? Or anything that screams suspicious? Please....in all of my years I've been on this place, there hasn't been anything that any of the members have taken that screams "embarrassing" or anything that makes B/Os look bad. If you really think we're those kinds of people, you need to get out of this place.

You say you understand this hobby, but you don't know two shits about it and you act like we're that dumb. Please, f**k out of here with that shit. The fact that you're lumping us in the category of those that always shares their shit with the media is retarded. And if you really think that we're those kinds of people, see yourself out the door.

2. Again, you're wrong. I've had embarrassing photos of MYSELF online and again, I don't care. Just because you've been caught in situations doesn't mean we'd react the same. Stop talking from your own personal experience along with perpetuating an argument for the sake of making one like you always do.

Like I said, if they politely decline, I won't take the photo. If they act like an a**hole(basically putting themselves in that situation), that photo will be taken. It's a matter of respect. Respect shown one way will be shown the other way.

Nobody counts 1502?

I forgot about that one and the MCI Classic too....damn lol

Edited by Cait Sith

That's where you're wrong.

1. Can you explain to us what kind of embarrassing situations we'd catch a bus operator in? Like really....you're putting us in a category that's about the same as those that records videos of the operators doing things they aren't supposed to do. If you've seen a post from any one of us involving anything like that, please bring them up. Until then, stop spouting nonsense.

What exactly do you think we'd catch a B/O doing, making out with someone? Rubbing one off on the bus? Breaking stuff? Or anything that screams suspicious? Please....in all of my years I've been on this place, there hasn't been anything that any of the members have taken that screams "embarrassing" or anything that makes B/Os look bad. If you really think we're those kinds of people, you need to get out of this place.

You say you understand this hobby, but you don't know two shits about it and you act like we're that dumb. Please, f**k out of here with that shit. The fact that you're lumping us in the category of those that always shares their shit with the media is retarded. And if you really think that we're those kinds of people, see yourself out the door.

2. Again, you're wrong. I've had embarrassing photos of MYSELF online and again, I don't care. Just because you've been caught in situations doesn't mean we'd react the same. Stop talking from your own personal experience along with perpetuating an argument for the sake of making one like you always do.

Like I said, if they politely decline, I won't take the photo. If they act like an a**hole(basically putting themselves in that situation), that photo will be taken. It's a matter of respect. Respect shown one way will be shown the other way.

1. You would have to ask the bus operators that react negatively to being in those photos, but for starters, when one doesn't want to be in a photo, they can usually step to the side.  With someone that is driving, they don't really have a choice in the matter and what we consider "embarrassing" is completely subjective.

I'm not putting anyone in any category.  I'm simply understanding of their situation and empathize.  All I know is they're out there doing their job, minding their own business, and then someone randomly comes along and starts shooting pictures of them.  At the end of the day there is something that they object to for one reason or another, which they are in the right to do, just as you're in the right to take the photo.  It really comes down to what is believed to be ethical/moral, as there is no one answer to this topic.

2.  Actually I don't understand the whole photo craze to be honest, and I've said that before.  I wouldn't call it being dumb, but rather inconsiderate at times.... Photography is one thing.  Taking pictures of buses or trains is a completely different subject that clearly comes with its own territory.  

3.  I'm speaking from the perspective of people who have spoken out about being in photos they didn't want to be in.

4.  It is matter of respect... That I agree with.  What I don't get is why people are so shocked that others would hesitate to be photographed or filmed?  

For the record, I think it's important that both perspectives be looked at.  This isn't about arguing for the sake of arguing, but rather having a discussion with those who are into the hobby, want to do it, and don't understand why people react the way that they do, which is what the original OP seemed to be inquiring about.  Of course we could just have the usual responses of oh that B/O was dumb, yada, yada yada, which wouldn't accomplish much.  It's worth exploring so that perhaps going forward there will be more understanding as to how to approach certain situations to avoid conflict.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1. You would have to ask the bus operators that react negatively to being in those photos, but for starters, when one doesn't want to be in a photo, they can usually step to the side.  With someone that is driving, they don't really have a choice in the matter and what we consider "embarrassing" is completely subjective.

I'm not putting anyone in any category.  I'm simply understanding of their situation and empathize.  All I know is they're out there doing their job, minding their own business, and then someone randomly comes along and starts shooting pictures of them.  At the end of the day there is something that they object to for one reason or another, which they are in the right to do, just as you're in the right to take the photo.  It really comes down to what is believed to be ethical/moral, as there is no one answer to this topic.

2.  Actually I don't understand the whole photo craze to be honest, and I've said that before.  I wouldn't call it being dumb, but rather inconsiderate at times.... Photography is one thing.  Taking pictures of buses or trains is a completely different subject that clearly comes with its own territory.  

3.  I'm speaking from the perspective of people who have spoken out about being in photos they didn't want to be in.

4.  It is matter of respect... That I agree with.  What I don't get is why people are so shocked that others would hesitate to be photographed or filmed?  

For the record, I think it's important that both perspectives be looked at.  This isn't about arguing for the sake of arguing, but rather having a discussion with those who are into the hobby, want to do it, and don't understand why people react the way that they do, which is what the original OP seemed to be inquiring about.  Of course we could just have the usual responses of oh that B/O was dumb, yada, yada yada, which wouldn't accomplish much.  It's worth exploring so that perhaps going forward there will be more understanding as to how to approach certain situations to avoid conflict.

I can't speak about the railroad employees but AFAIK you can take a picture of an on-duty T/O, C/R, B/O, or any NYCT worker as long as you don't interfere with job performance. A NYCT worker is a "public" employee with no real expectation of privacy. While a worker may not like the idea those of us who have worked for the agency have seen times when the (MTA) itself releases pictures and the work history of an employee to the media and the public. I'd venture a guess that with the advent of social media, coupled with increased security post 9/11, has many people wary of any type of photography. I can see where an employee might be upset, especially if the picture taker photoshops the picture into something negative, but as far as I see it comes with the territory of being a NYCT employee. If I'm wrong about this an active employee can chime in here. Carry on.

I was once fanning at an Metro North station and the MTA cop asked me if I was filming trains for a rap video  :lol:

I was once accused of being a sniper by a B/O. Weirdest accusation ever.

I once got on an express bus(3389 on the BxM11), didn't have the full fare(only time that's ever happened to me on an express bus), the B/O started a fight with me because he didn't like that I walked past the farebox, yet he said later in the argument that if I would've explained to him why I didn't have the full fare, he would've let me board with no problems. Threatened the police on me 3 times. Guy was a total a**hole and killed his whole argument with that statement. Reported and photographed for the complaint I sent to the (MTA). I later got on the same express route, explained this to that particular B/O and he agreed with me. 

Edited by lupojohn

I can't speak about the railroad employees but AFAIK you can take a picture of an on-duty T/O, C/R, B/O, or any NYCT worker as long as you don't interfere with job performance. A NYCT worker is a "public" employee with no real expectation of privacy. While a worker may not like the idea those of us who have worked for the agency have seen times when the (MTA) itself releases pictures and the work history of an employee to the media and the public. I'd venture a guess that with the advent of social media, coupled with increased security post 9/11, has many people wary of any type of photography. I can see where an employee might be upset, especially if the picture taker photoshops the picture into something negative, but as far as I see it comes with the territory of being a NYCT employee. If I'm wrong about this an active employee can chime in here. Carry on.

Of course.  I think you make some very valid points.  The other issue that I can think of is that with social media, more and more employers are checking perspective employees' backgrounds and seeing what sort of "dirt" they can get on them.  The person taking the photo of them has ALL of the power to do as they please with that photo and post it ANYWHERE and that person's reputation could be ruined or they could lose a perspective job for a photo that may look very innocent.  That's a very scary thing to think about, especially if the photo is altered into something negative as you said.  That isn't to say that all people taking photos have a negative angle, but you never know what is in people's minds.

I once got on an express bus(3389 on the BxM11), didn't have the full fare(only time that's ever happened to me on an express bus), the B/O started a fight with me because he didn't like that I walked past the farebox, yet he said later in the argument that if I would've explained to him why I didn't have the full fare, he would've let me board with no problems. Threatened the police on me 3 times. Guy was a total a**hole and killed his whole argument with that statement. Reported and photographed for the complaint I sent to the (MTA). I later got on the same express route, explained this to that particular B/O and he agreed with me. 

Well yeah, you're getting on his bus, coming up short on the fare and walking past the farebox and taking a seat like everything is okay as if he is so incompetent that he won't know.  He's absolutely right.  Now in my neighborhood folks get on without Metrocards often because there is only one store that sells them and they run out frequently, and the B/O's know there is nowhere to fill up or get new ones if the store is out so they're understanding, but you have to explain the situation and be polite about it.

Well yeah, you're getting on his bus, coming up short on the fare and walking past the farebox and taking a seat like everything is okay as if he is so incompetent that he won't know.  He's absolutely right.  Now in my neighborhood folks get on without Metrocards often because there is only one store that sells them and they run out frequently, and the B/O's know there is nowhere to fill up or get new ones if the store is out so they're understanding, but you have to explain the situation and be polite about it.

If he's going to say something, he should be polite about it. As Shane said before, which also applies here, if you want to get respect, you have to give it. As well, him admitting he would've let me on the bus killed his argument. Saying he was getting the police 3 times is uncalled for. Regarding what you said(as you once again bring it back to your particular neighborhood or bus  :lol:), the rules are rules. They apply to all. I'm surprised such an affluent neighborhood as yours would have citizens who run out of money.

If he's going to say something, he should be polite about it. As Shane said before, which also applies here, if you want to get respect, you have to give it. As well, him admitting he would've let me on the bus killed his argument. Saying he was getting the police 3 times is uncalled for. Regarding what you said(as you once again bring it back to your particular neighborhood or bus  :lol:), the rules are rules. They apply to all. I'm surprised such an affluent neighborhood as yours would have citizens who run out of money.

The difference here is, you didn't bother explaining anything. Sure, he might've let on if you explained, but by not doing that (which is what you did), you gave him the expression that you're doing it on purpose, not willing to pay the fare, and that's gonna piss the driver off (especially if you had less then half of the typical express bus fare charge). On a side note, that happened to me once, driver told me I need to put in two more dollars, and I had two dollars in bills (and there was only one other person on the bus), so he just let me on (given how I paid and what much of a hassle it would be if the other person didn't have change.

And second of all, he didn't say people run out of money, he means the stores in the community run out of metrocards to sell, and not all of them work near a subway station. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

The difference here is, you didn't bother explaining anything. Sure, he might've let on if you explained, but by not doing that (which is what you did), you gave him the expression that you're doing it on purpose, not willing to pay the fare, and that's gonna piss the driver off (especially if you had less then half of the typical express bus fare charge). On a side note, that happened to me once, driver told me I need to put in two more dollars, and I had two dollars in bills (and there was only one other person on the bus), so he just let me on (given how I paid and what much of a hassle it would be if the other person didn't have change.

And second of all, he didn't say citizens run out of money, he means the stores in the community run out of metrocards, and not all of them work near a subway station. 

I was short by less than a dollar.

If they had the money(i'll assume some do, some don't. That's a safe assumption), they wouldn't be going to a store to a begin with. Granted, HHP is out of the mainstream in regards to any bus or train station to obtain a MetroCard, but it's not that long of a walk.

Edited by lupojohn

1. I was short by less than a dollar.

2. If they had the money(i'll assume some do, some don't. That's a safe assumption), they wouldn't be going to a store to a begin with. Granted, HHP is out of the mainstream in regards to any bus or train service, but it's not that long of a walk.

1. Well, still, regardless, you shouldn't just go and sit like that. Even though it's less than a dollar, you're bound to have an argument with the driver. Just say I'm sorry, I didn't realize I didn't have enough money, or something different, but you can't just do that (maybe you don't see it that way, but for some drivers, it is seen as an insult, especially since you can easily tell when someone didn't pay enough fare).

2. Why not, if they have the specific metrocards they need. And it's not that long of a walk to where exactly? I do know that I don't live in the area, but I also do know how damn hilly the area is, and the topography changes on every street all the time.

1. Well, still, regardless, you shouldn't just go and sit like that. Even though it's less than a dollar, you're bound to have an argument with the driver. Just say I'm sorry, I didn't realize I didn't have enough money, or something different, but you can't just do that (maybe you don't see it that way, but for some drivers, it is seen as an insult, especially since you can easily tell when someone didn't pay enough fare).

2. Why not, if they have the specific metrocards they need. And it's not that long of a walk to where exactly? I do know that I don't live in the area, but I also do know how damn hilly the area is, and the topography changes on every street all the time.

Simply put: if he's going to say something(which he is bound to do given the nature of the situation), he should do his job with courtesy and respect. If he had done that, I would've granted him an apology.

I would tell you the exact location of the store, but I don't think he would want me to give out his street number. We may disagree on almost everything, but i'm not going to go as far as to give out private information.

Edited by lupojohn

Simply put: if he's going to say something(which he is bound to do given the nature of the situation), he should do his job with courtesy and respect. If he had done that, I would've granted him an apology.

I would tell you the exact location of the store, but I don't think he would want me to give out his street number. We may disagree on almost everything, but i'm not going to go as far as to give out private information.

1. However, the "nature of the situation" didn't even have to happen given if you said something originally, doing that seems rather a rude gesture (because I mean, yes people are forgetful, people had things to do, or anything for whatever reason that they don't have enough balance on the card, at least explain something so he can understand what has happen, just going in makes you seem inconsiderate).

2. Been mentioned before (not precisely), forgot what it was, don't care about it, not even what I was trying to ask. The general point is that it is not that easy of a walk.

1. However, the "nature of the situation" didn't even have to happen given if you said something originally, doing that seems rather a rude gesture (because I mean, yes people are forgetful, people had things to do, or anything for whatever reason that they don't have enough balance on the card, at least explain something so he can understand what has happen, just going in makes you seem inconsiderate).

2. Been mentioned before (not precisely), forgot what it was, don't care about it, not even what I was trying to ask. The general point is that it is not that easy of a walk.

1. I'm not going to lie to him and pretend I didn't know I was short. 

2. It is what it is.

Edited by lupojohn

It has nothing to with affluence and everything to do with the fact that there is only one store selling Metrocards here and them frequently running out of all Metrocards.  They only receive Metrocards once every 10 or so days so they usually are out of cards more than they have them in stock.  No one is going to walk 20+ minutes to the train station or schlepp up and down hills to get a Metrocard at another location.  You have many people who don't use the express bus regularly, and therefore it wouldn't make sense to fill up like that.  For example, there is an older guy who I ride Metro-North with.  On occasion he needs the express bus so he has a Metrocard with some money on the side.

The same issue existed when I lived on Staten Island due to the fact that the stores ran out quickly and the closest place to get a new one within the (MTA) was St. George for me.

Wait, you got on a bus with no fare, walked past the farebox without saying a thing, and then YOU sent a complaint in about the B/O for getting annoyed? What? 

Wait, you got on a bus with no fare, walked past the farebox without saying a thing, and then YOU sent a complaint in about the B/O for getting annoyed? What? 

He said a lot, some of which I won't post here due to its content and threatened me with the police 3 times. He has a job to do, but that doesn't mean he should overstep his bounds. I should also add that he actually said to me to go ahead and take the number of the bus, his badge number AND a picture. No lie. He actually said all of that. 

Yesterday the Bx12 line was something else... I get to the bus stop and see that a local had literally just left, and there's still a crowd of people waiting for the SBS.

The already full SBS comes and picks up all its suckers customers as a local pulls in. I decide to take the local, and the local actually kept a competitive pace staying just behind the SBS (even while making more stops) from Pelham Bay all the way to Sedgwick. A second SBS (an XD60 no less) caught up but couldn't quite overtake the local I was on either.

If you're not going to Inwood or Co-op City, take the local. Actually even if you are, take the local and switch to the SBS at the last local stop if you see a crowd and/or a local bus arriving first.

Been mentioned before (not precisely), forgot what it was, don't care about it, not even what I was trying to ask. The general point is that it is not that easy of a walk.

It sure isn't, and aside from that the Metrocard vending machines on the (1) along Broadway are horrendous.  There is only one at 238th which usually doesn't work and the ones at 242nd are also spotty.  There's about 4 total machines there and on numerous occasions, only one of those machines have worked.

He said a lot, some of which I won't post here due to its content and threatened me with the police 3 times. He has a job to do, but that doesn't mean he should overstep his bounds. I should also add that he actually said to me to go ahead and take the number of the bus, his badge number AND a picture. No lie. He actually said all of that. 

Unless he said something particularly offensive or rude, I'm not sure what the problem was. It's not 'threatening you' with the police, that's just an actual thing he could have done. He could have called the cops but he was good enough not to, since believe me they would have been a lot ruder than he was. I'm sure he said that cause he figured he hadn't done much wrong.