BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I would.... It would screw Williamsburg riders (There are more Williamsburg riders that take the 62 over the 32, AINEC)....

The Williamsburg portion of the B32 is dominated by yellow/green cabs, and quite frankly, I don't think that's going to change (similar situation in DUMBO with the B25)... It's the usage to/from Greenpoint that the 32 (which is more residential) is taking away from the 62 (which is commercial).....

B62 might get phased out with part of it's route transferred to other lines like the B69.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the Bronx the only borough that does U-turns from its terminal in the middle of the Avenues?

ex. Riverdale Av (Bx7 and Bx10)

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any routes in the other boroughs that u-turn in the middle of the block like a riverdale av (where there's no median)....

No...

The B25 used to before the loop via Fulton Landing became permanent

The B35/70 somewhat does it in Sunset Park

The B1/49 somewhat does it at Kingsboro CC

The B82 somewhat does it in Spring Creek

The B17 does it on the Seaview Av branch

The B63 used to do it in Cobble Hill vector the full-time extension to Brooklyn Bridge Park

The B31 does it in Gerritsen Beach

The B47 (if you wanna split hairs) does it in Kings Plaza...if it doesn't go through the bus bays

The B39 does it on Allen St

The B67/69 (technically) does it in Kensington under the (F)

The Bx12 local used to do it near Sedgwick

The Bx29 does it in City Island

The Bx9 does it in Riverdale

The Bx2 (somewhat) does it in Kingsbridge Hts

The M10 does it in Harlem

I don't think he's asking about the routes that u-turn where the block ends... Also, you didn't have to list the Bronx ones, b/c he's asking where does buses do that in other boroughs...

It's a good question; something I haven't thought of.....

B62 might get phased out with part of it's route transferred to other lines like the B69.

They wont have the 67 & the 69 running to Williamsburg, if that's what you're getting at....

tbh I meant like Riverdale Av in the middle, it does a U-turn, not by the terminal with a dead-end

for example: 

Some BxM4's do it at the Woodlawn/Yonkers border.  The Bx31 and Bx34 go into the little loop, so they don't count, but some BxM4's will do a U-turn.  

----

Also for the first time ever I took the BxM4 via the Major Deegan tonight.  Man that was like the quickest trip... Only took about 10 minutes from 125th and Madison to 242nd and Katonah.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Some BxM4's do it at the Woodlawn/Yonkers border.  The Bx31 and Bx34 go into the little loop, so they don't count, but some BxM4's will do a U-turn.  

----

Also for the first time ever I took the BxM4 via the Major Deegan tonight.  Man that was like the quickest trip... Only took about 10 minutes from 125th and Madison to 242nd and Katonah.

yes that is one real fast trip. The way the BxM4 should be. I loved the Super Express to Woodlawn. 

--

and the BxM4s do somtimes make a u turn in the middle of Katonah at 242nd St and I still dont know how they pull it off. Its best that they just stop in the loop. Or since the BxM4 pickup is on Katonah just below 242nd then it should make the left on 241st St, then a right on Van Cortlandt, then a right on Katonah to go back south.

yes that is one real fast trip. The way the BxM4 should be. I loved the Super Express to Woodlawn. 

--

and the BxM4s do somtimes make a u turn in the middle of Katonah at 242nd St and I still dont know how they pull it off. Its best that they just stop in the loop. Or since the BxM4 pickup is on Katonah just below 242nd then it should make the left on 241st St, then a right on Van Cortlandt, then a right on Katonah to go back south.

Some B/O has been leaving Southbound with the "via Major Deegan, via 5 Av" signage on his bus.  Took him the other night coming back from Yonkers and got on at Katonah and 242nd, but I didn't say anything because I got the impression that he knew about it. As we were coming off of the Deegan and on to 233rd yesterday, I saw a Southbound BxM4 bus with that same signage turning onto Jerome.  Probably the same guy too. lol

As for the U turn vs the loop, the guys that do the U turn do it because they want to layover right there by the triangle, but not where the Bx31 and Bx34 layover at.  That's the only place they can layover aside from along Van Cortlandt Park East.  Otherwise they layover at the first stop at Katonah and 242nd.  Some guys also layover by the triangle once they get some grub up along McLean.  You would think more Irish guys would like the BxM4, given how many Irish Pubs there are along Katonah and McLean. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Well there has been another case of clueless B/O. I got on the Q65 on at 164 and Horace Harding with this lady. The lady asked the BO where 81XX 161 St is. The driver absent-mindedly says Parsons and Hillside. I'm like that is nowhere near the address she wants. So I told her get off the bus at Union Tpke and walk back to 161 St. SMH

No...

The B25 used to before the loop via Fulton Landing became permanent

The B35/70 somewhat does it in Sunset Park

The B1/49 somewhat does it at Kingsboro CC

The B82 somewhat does it in Spring Creek

The B17 does it on the Seaview Av branch

The B63 used to do it in Cobble Hill vector the full-time extension to Brooklyn Bridge Park

The B31 does it in Gerritsen Beach

The B47 (if you wanna split hairs) does it in Kings Plaza...if it doesn't go through the bus bays

The B39 does it on Allen St

The B67/69 (technically) does it in Kensington under the (F)

The Bx12 local used to do it near Sedgwick

The Bx29 does it in City Island

The Bx9 does it in Riverdale

The Bx2 (somewhat) does it in Kingsbridge Hts

The M10 does it in Harlem

The Q77 does it at Springfield Blvd & 145 Rd.

The Q111 does it at Francis Lewis Blvd by 148 Ave.

Some B/O has been leaving Southbound with the "via Major Deegan, via 5 Av" signage on his bus.  Took him the other night coming back from Yonkers and got on at Katonah and 242nd, but I didn't say anything because I got the impression that he knew about it. As we were coming off of the Deegan and on to 233rd yesterday, I saw a Southbound BxM4 bus with that same signage turning onto Jerome.  Probably the same guy too. lol

As for the U turn vs the loop, the guys that do the U turn do it because they want to layover right there by the triangle, but not where the Bx31 and Bx34 layover at.  That's the only place they can layover aside from along Van Cortlandt Park East.  Otherwise they layover at the first stop at Katonah and 242nd.  Some guys also layover by the triangle once they get some grub up along McLean.  You would think more Irish guys would like the BxM4, given how many Irish Pubs there are along Katonah and McLean. lol

another interesting thing, there is no designated are for the BxM4 to make its final drop off at 242nd Street. Pretty interesting

The Q42 also loops at its last stop and I think the Q113 has something similar.

The destination font on 3630 looks different than other 2006-7 Orion VII's its thinner for some reason. It reminds me of the buses 6490-6699.

The Q113/114 make a u-turn at Crest Rd to return to Jamaica.

The font is thinner on 3630. Some other O7's have the same font too. Reminds me of Bee Line's 600's O5's

another interesting thing, there is no designated are for the BxM4 to make its final drop off at 242nd Street. Pretty interesting

No there is no official sign for the BxM4 drop-off, or if there is, it must've been knocked down.  I have been let out in four different spots... Katonah and 242nd (at the light), Van Cortlandt Park East and 242nd (just after the turn onto Van Cortlandt Park East), or right within the triangle where the Bx31 and Bx34 drop off at.  It all depends on where the driver is going after the drop off.  Some have even offered to drop me further up by McLean since they were going in that direction which is nice, but irrelevant in my case, since I have a car waiting to pick me up to take me into Westchester.

The pick-up stop at 242nd and Katonah was recently replaced after being knocked down by a car accident (I assume).  They should relocate that stop elsewhere, or put the pole in cement.  Having it anchored in dirt makes it more susceptible to being damaged or knocked down.

The Q42 also loops at its last stop and I think the Q113 has something similar.

The destination font on 3630 looks different than other 2006-7 Orion VII's its thinner for some reason. It reminds me of the buses 6490-6699.

A few of the MTA Bus OGs had their sign reprogrammed. There's a few more of them at JFK and BP with the reprogrammed sign.

No there is no official sign for the BxM4 drop-off, or if there is, it must've been knocked down.  I have been let out in four different spots... Katonah and 242nd (at the light), Van Cortlandt Park East and 242nd (just after the turn onto Van Cortlandt Park East), or right within the triangle where the Bx31 and Bx34 drop off at.  It all depends on where the driver is going after the drop off.  Some have even offered to drop me further up by McLean since they were going in that direction which is nice, but irrelevant in my case, since I have a car waiting to pick me up to take me into Westchester.

The pick-up stop at 242nd and Katonah was recently replaced after being knocked down by a car accident (I assume).  They should relocate that stop elsewhere, or put the pole in cement.  Having it anchored in dirt makes it more susceptible to being damaged or knocked down.

usually I am let out just past the light on Van Cortlandt Park East, but sometimes the driver has turned into the loop to let me off.  And I have also on a rare occasion been dropped off further up at McLean (which is right where I live) so that was real nice. And once in a blue moon, the driver will make a left on 241st St, then a right on Van Cortlandt East, then let me off at the corner before making the right back on Katonah to go south.

usually I am let out just past the light on Van Cortlandt Park East, but sometimes the driver has turned into the loop to let me off.  And I have also on a rare occasion been dropped off further up at McLean (which is right where I live) so that was real nice. And once in a blue moon, the driver will make a left on 241st St, then a right on Van Cortlandt East, then let me off at the corner before making the right back on Katonah to go south.

How many people do you see getting on at the first stop (Katonah & 242nd?) I see quite a few people getting off at the last stop and walking into Yonkers.

I've never gotten off in the loop when I've rode the BxM4 up to Woodlawn.... It was always at the light (katonah/242nd) & there's no stop there either....

Some BxM4's don't even layover inside the loop... What I've seen them do is layover along Van Cortlandt, just short of McLean (just short of that gas station).... I'm guessing these are b/o's that take their break or w/e before going back to the depot.....

What I also have seen is b/o's that park the bus just outside the loop (meaning, along Van Cortlandt); most likely to make things easier for the Bx31/34 turning in & out of there,,,,

Edited by B35 via Church