BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took a random look at the Bx23/Q50 and the Bx29 schedule and they have made the weekday schedule so useless if you're going to Co-op City from Pelham Bay IMO. Look at the departure times from Pelham Bay:

12:14 (Bx29 to BP)

12:15 (Bx23 1,2,3,4,5)

12:17 (Q50)

12:18 (Bx23 5,4,3,2,1)

12:44 (Bx29 to BP)

12:45 (Bx23 1,2,3,4,5)

12:47 (Q50)

12:48 (Bx23 5,4,3,2,1) and so on until the PM rush...

As opposed to the weekend:
12:00 Sat/12:03 Sun (Bx29 to BP)

12:00 (Bx23 5,4,3,2,1)

12:03 Sat/12:05 Sun (Q50)

12:15 (Bx23 1,2,3,4,5)

12:20 Sat/12:23 Sun (Bx29 to BP)

12:30 (Bx23 5,4,3,2,1)

12:36 Sat/12:35 Sun (Q50)

12:40 Sat/12:43 Sun (Bx29 to BP)

12:45 (Bx23 1,2,3,4,5)

Is it just me, or are buses operated by MTA Bus Company beginning to use the "MTA New York City Bus" label that New York City Transit buses use? I've already seen a few MTABC buses with the label on the sides and rear. Is the "MTA Bus" label about to be phased out?

Edited by Keon Milton

Is it just me, or are buses operated by MTA Bus Company beginning to use the "MTA New York City Bus" label that New York City Transit buses use? I've already seen a few MTABC buses with the label on the sides and rear. Is the "MTA Bus" label about to be phased out?

Not quite yet, after they finish merging all the systems and all that between MTAB and NYCT they'll be doing that but I hear the new brand for both will be MTA Bus. All of the RTS at MTA Bus now came from NYCT and they don't usually bother changing the name so that's why you see NYC Bus still on MTAB buses, then there's a few hybrids that got painted with NYC Bus by mistake.

Not quite yet, after they finish merging all the systems and all that between MTAB and NYCT they'll be doing that but I hear the new brand for both will be MTA Bus. All of the RTS at MTA Bus now came from NYCT and they don't usually bother changing the name so that's why you see NYC Bus still on MTAB buses, then there's a few hybrids that got painted with NYC Bus by mistake.

They're merging systems? Yay! Finally!

Oh, okay. Thank you for clearing that up. After I saw the "MTA New York City Bus" label on some of MTABC's buses, my thinking was that NYCT and MTABC were going to share the same label while remaining separate agencies of the MTA.

Edited by Keon Milton

Oh, okay. Thank you for clearing that up. After I saw the "MTA New York City Bus" label on some of MTABC's buses, my thinking was that NYCT and MTABC were going to share the same label while remaining separate agencies of the MTA.

Thats basically what's gonna happen once it's all done

Today I saw three Bx32 buses bunched up back-to-back-to-back heading northbound. Good grief, you mean to tell me on a route that's supposed to have 12 minute headways and not the most heavily utilized bus in the area (relative to the Bx1/Bx2 among others) a bloody bus can lose up to half an hour of time and have 2 of its followers catch up?

They have been doing that a a while. The question is when are they going to be finished? Maybe by then those little signs from the 90s will be replaced with the newer lollipop signs NYCT bus have and MTA bus routes use in other boroughs besides Queens.

Better tell the DOT, they are the ones installing those signs.

Better tell the DOT, they are the ones installing those signs.

Does the MTA tell the DOT to change the signs? It amazes me how the Brooklyn, Bronx and Manhattan MTA bus routes had their signs changed but not really Queens. A few places such as Hoffman and Woodhaven Blvd, the Q53 at a few stops on Broadway, the Q10 at Kew Gardens and various stops across the city that are shared by a NYCT route or some that were randomly changed a long time ago such as Jamaica 160th on the Q6,Q8,Q9, Q41. Ok now they now have the guide a rides which are still pretty half assed better than nothing but many still don't know where the bus goes especially if the stops are on phone poles or several routes share the same stop.

They have been doing that a a while. The question is when are they going to be finished? Maybe by then those little signs from the 90s will be replaced with the newer lollipop signs NYCT bus have and MTA bus routes use in other boroughs besides Queens.

I really hated them two not getting along. Now they are. But the question is how they are gonna mix the fleets. That's what I wanna see from the merge.

Earlier, I was taking a picture of the Bx23 Bee Line Orion, and there was a BO having problems with me taking a picture of the bus. So he sent a dispatcher at Pelham Bay Park to check on what I was doing. The dispatcher asked if I was taking a picture of the bus and I told him yes because the bus looked interesting. He said ok and moved along. While I moved away to look at a different Bx23 that also had a Bee Line Orion, I noticed the BO who had a problem with me taking pics begin taking pictures of me. I ignored it because what can he do with a picture of a 16 year old holding a 2ds. But if he wanted me to stop taking pictures of the bus, he should have told me and I would of stopped. But no one told me to stop, so I continued to take pics.
To anyone who were caught taking pictures of the MTA by the MTA, were there any major consequences by them or did they basically talk shit about you taking pictures?

I really hated them two not getting along. Now they are. But the question is how they are gonna mix the fleets. That's what I wanna see from the merge.

They mixed fleets before. Where did you think the D60s on the Q10 came from?

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Earlier, I was taking a picture of the Bx23 Bee Line Orion, and there was a BO having problems with me taking a picture of the bus. So he sent a dispatcher at Pelham Bay Park to check on what I was doing. The dispatcher asked if I was taking a picture of the bus and I told him yes because the bus looked interesting. He said ok and moved along. While I moved away to look at a different Bx23 that also had a Bee Line Orion, I noticed the BO who had a problem with me taking pics begin taking pictures of me. I ignored it because what can he do with a picture of a 16 year old holding a 2ds. But if he wanted me to stop taking pictures of the bus, he should have told me and I would of stopped. But no one told me to stop, so I continued to take pics.
To anyone who were caught taking pictures of the MTA by the MTA, were there any major consequences by them or did they basically talk shit about you taking pictures?

The BO began taking pictures of you? On Duty? On the bus/driving??? 

BTW, it is a public street as long as you weren't obstructing the sidewalk or in traffic, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what you are doing as far as my understanding of the law is. Keep doing what you are doing! As a possible future BO, I'd have no problems with it.

As long as you are not on MTA property, blinding the driver with a gigantic flash, or obstructing traffic to take the picture, you are well within your rights to take pictures.

As long as you are not on MTA property, blinding the driver with a gigantic flash, or obstructing traffic to take the picture, you are well within your rights to take pictures.

The BO began taking pictures of you? On Duty? On the bus/driving??? 

BTW, it is a public street as long as you weren't obstructing the sidewalk or in traffic, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what you are doing as far as my understanding of the law is. Keep doing what you are doing! As a possible future BO, I'd have no problems with it.

I don't blame the B/O. If someone doesn't want to be in a picture, they shouldn't have to be and that's why that B/O was doing that to send a message. It's an invasion of people's personal space. If you're out in public doing your thing and some random person comes and starts snapping photos of you, you wouldn't be the least annoyed? Please... I don't buy it.

I don't blame the B/O. If someone doesn't want to be in a picture, they shouldn't have to be and that's why that B/O was doing that to send a message. It's an invasion of people's personal space. If you're out in public doing your thing and some random person comes and starts snapping photos of you, you wouldn't be the least annoyed? Please... I don't buy it.

However, the BO is not the target, and from most positions, you barely get the driver (or see his face very well) in the picture, unless it's dark outside.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

However, the BO is not the target, and from most positions, you barely get the driver (or see his face very well) in the picture, unless it's dark outside.

Doesn't matter. If you don't want to participate in something, your wishes should be respected. End of story. I don't blame the B/O for going on the offensive and snapping pics.

You're just trying to justify invading someone's personal space.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Doesn't matter. If you don't want to participate in something, your wishes should be respected. End of story. I don't blame the B/O for going on the offensive and snapping pics.

1. And what about locations such as Manhattan, especially in the CBD, where tourists are snapping pictures all over the place, what do you want to say to those people, that they're invading the private space of hundreds of people? Do you want to ban photography all over the city too? People take shots all over, and yes, people might get within the field of view. Unless they're not doing it in a lewd fashion or in a threatening way, I don't see it as invading ones space.

We might as well ban photography in all populous areas then...

2. (Which somehow correlates to 1) How would you know the person is taking a picture of YOU specifically, unless they know you in a demeaning way, or are giving clear signs that they are taking pictures of you OR is acting suspicious.

3. Why don't you bring this up every time one of us starts up a photo thread here?

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Well than the person who dosen't want their picture taken should speak up and say they don't want their picture taken. If they don't say anything to me, I have every right to take a photo of anything I want.

Like BM5 said, it's not like I want to take a pic of the BO. In fact, I bet most people don't give two shits about the BO.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain