BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Does anyone notice that in a RTS or Orion 5, even a MCI, MTA BUS and NYC Bus, the codes displayed are different format.

Example:

NYC Bus (on a B1 RTS 5080)

*B1 Manhattan Beach

*B1 Kingsbrorough CC

*B1 via 86 St

MTA BUS (on the Q69 RTS 8939)

*Q69 L.I City

Queens Plaza

*Q69 via Ditmars Blvd

via 21 St

Edited by Calvin

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't blame the B/O. If someone doesn't want to be in a picture, they shouldn't have to be and that's why that B/O was doing that to send a message. It's an invasion of people's personal space. If you're out in public doing your thing and some random person comes and starts snapping photos of you, you wouldn't be the least annoyed? Please... I don't buy it.

I, like a lot of people walk through midtown or downtown almost everyday and I probably appear in other people's pictures. Keep in mind it's all about context, the intent was to photograph the bus on a street, the B/O was simply incident to that picture. 

I can recall one recent instance in Little Italy/Chinatown, where this puny 20-something tourist literally walked up to this elderly Chinese woman and snapped a picture, boyfriend or male companion didn't do sh-t. Now that pissed and still pisses me off as that was clearly inappropriate.

Yes, I do get a little annoyed in instances where I am in a photo whilst walking on a public street or elsewhere in a public venue  (as in having to walk around folks at the most really), but am not going to get bent out of shape over it. Also, I have never seen anyone going off on anyone taking a street scene picture, either here in New York or any of the hundreds of US and cities worldwide either. I've even visited former Soviet Union countries and never had or seen a problem. 

Does anyone notice that in a RTS or Orion 5, even a MCI, MTA BUS and NYC Bus, the codes displayed are different format.

Example:

NYC Bus (on a B1 RTS 5080)

*B1 Manhattan Beach

*B1 Kingsbrorough CC

*B1 via 86 St

MTA BUS (on the Q69 RTS 8939)

*Q69 L.I City

Queens Plaza

*Q69 via Ditmars Blvd

via 21 St

Didn't the white back thing start at MTA Bus too?

Who knows, the new font alignment might migrate to NYCT soon enough.

I, like a lot of people walk through midtown or downtown almost everyday and I probably appear in other people's pictures. Keep in mind it's all about context, the intent was to photograph the bus on a street, the B/O was simply incident to that picture.

I can recall one recent instance in Little Italy/Chinatown, where this puny 20-something tourist literally walked up to this elderly Chinese woman and snapped a picture, boyfriend or male companion didn't do sh-t. Now that pissed and still pisses me off as that was clearly inappropriate.

Yes, I do get a little annoyed in instances where I am in a photo whilst walking on a public street or elsewhere in a public venue (as in having to walk around folks at the most really), but am not going to get bent out of shape over it. Also, I have never seen anyone going off on anyone taking a street scene picture, either here in New York or any of the hundreds of US and cities worldwide either. I've even visited former Soviet Union countries and never had or seen a problem.

You got annoyed... That's all I wanted was your honest take. There's a reason you got annoyed because either you didn't want to be in the photo, or you didn't feel the photo was appropriate. When someone else is taking the photo, of course they think it's perfectly fine.

Well than the person who dosen't want their picture taken should speak up and say they don't want their picture taken. If they don't say anything to me, I have every right to take a photo of anything I want.

Like BM5 said, it's not like I want to take a pic of the BO. In fact, I bet most people don't give two shits about the BO.

Like I said, there are instances where people do care, and you don't care because you were in the mood for taking photos but if you were having a sh*try day and some random person just came up and started photos of you, don't sit here and tell me that you would be eh ok with it. You have weirdos out here (pervs snapping pics of people to get kicks), and the B/O isn't necessarily going to know what your motive is. Hell I've had stupid tourists start snapping photos of me on the express bus when I just woke up from a nap like I really want someone's flash in my eyes at that point. It's just rude and ill mannered, and selfish. You don't see the problem with it because you care solely about getting the photo and can't see how the person on the other side feels.

1. And what about locations such as Manhattan, especially in the CBD, where tourists are snapping pictures all over the place, what do you want to say to those people, that they're invading the private space of hundreds of people? Do you want to ban photography all over the city too? People take shots all over, and yes, people might get within the field of view. Unless they're not doing it in a lewd fashion or in a threatening way, I don't see it as invading ones space.

We might as well ban photography in all populous areas then...

2. (Which somehow correlates to 1) How would you know the person is taking a picture of YOU specifically, unless they know you in a demeaning way, or are giving clear signs that they are taking pictures of you OR is acting suspicious.

3. Why don't you bring this up every time one of us starts up a photo thread here?

Listen. I've done photography myself. I know when someone is taking a photo of me. I've taken photos of people, but out of respect for that person's privacy, I usually ask to take a photo of them or will wait and let them pass. It's not about banning photos. It's about understanding the fact that other people may not want to be photographed and STOPPING if you see someone becoming uncomfortable. Don't keep snapping photos of a person who is clearly uncomfortable. I don't understand what is so hard to get about that. There's a lot of things that are within your right, but that doesn't mean you do them while saying f*ck you to everyone else. Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Catching 8090 is like finding a needle in a haystack. I know that bus pretty much sounds like the LFS's we already have but does anyone have like a full shot of the interior. Pretty much you have a shot of the front as if you were to enter and the entire back. I saw the bus once on the Q30 heading towards QCC and I had no purpose taking it. I'm waiting to catch it on the Q17 since I use that route almost everyday.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

Catching 8090 is like finding a needle in a haystack. I know that bus pretty much sounds like the LFS's we already have but does anyone have like a full shot of the interior. Pretty much you have a shot of the front as if you were to enter and the entire back. I saw the bus once on the Q30 heading towards QCC and I had no purpose taking it. I'm waiting to catch it on the Q17 since I use that route almost everyday.

http://ttmg.org/pages/volvo/nymta-novan.html

There is a lot to say, so I'll put my comments in red.

You got annoyed... That's all I wanted was your honest take. There's a reason you got annoyed because either you didn't want to be in the photo, or you didn't feel the photo was appropriate. When someone else is taking the photo, of course they think it's perfectly fine. Tourists in Manhattan mostly want to take pictures of the special features in Manhattan. People show up in photos sometimes accidentally. That dosen't mean you get upset about it.
Like I said, there are instances where people do care, and you don't care because you were in the mood for taking photos but if you were having a sh*try day and some random person just came up and started photos of you, don't sit here and tell me that you would be eh ok with it. You have weirdos out here (pervs snapping pics of people to get kicks), and the B/O isn't necessarily going to know what your motive is. Hell I've had stupid tourists start snapping photos of me on the express bus when I just woke up from a nap like I really want someone's flash in my eyes at that point. It's just rude and ill mannered, and selfish. You don't see the problem with it because you care solely about getting the photo and can't see how the person on the other side feels. I was not told to stop taking pics, so I continued. And 1. You don't know what I think in my mind, 2. I didn't care b/c it not like I have to be friends with the BO and see him again, and also due to a reason I pointed out earlier.  
Listen. I've done photography myself. I know when someone is taking a photo of me. I've taken photos of people, but out of respect for that person's privacy, I usually ask to take a photo of them or will wait and let them pass. It's not about banning photos. It's about understanding the fact that other people may not want to be photographed and STOPPING if you see someone becoming uncomfortable. Don't keep snapping photos of a person who is clearly uncomfortable. I don't understand what is so hard to get about that. There's a lot of things that are within your right, but that doesn't mean you do them while saying f*ck you to everyone else. Yes, it is polite to ask to take photos of them, but if you are not really taking a photo of a person and instead taking a pic of a monument, they need to notice if you have a camera, they might be taking a picture. They could move away from the camera to not get their picture taken, or as I pointed out, SPEAK UP and ask politely to not take a picture of them. You could ask someone if they want their picture taken, but in my world, I take pictures until someone tells me to stop.

There is a lot to say, so I'll put my comments in red.

Listen it's pretty clear that the guy didn't want his photo taken and you knew that, yet you continued to do so, even after he started mocking you and taking photos of you. Do as you please, but there are always consequences. Just remember that.

OK Mr. G so you're ok with the op breaking the TA rules to get his phone out to start harassing the guy taking pictures? Or how about the driver stopping short and jumping out of an in service bus to demand they delete the picture? (that's happened to me in NJ a few times)

I'm in public and I'm gonna take pictures of what I want. I'm not trying to take a picture of the op anyways and if he thinks so there's not much he can do anyways, it's public. I can walk through Times Square and expect to end up in some tourist's pictures even though they're not trying to take my picture.

OK Mr. G so you're ok with the op breaking the TA rules to get his phone out to start harassing the guy taking pictures? Or how about the driver stopping short and jumping out of an in service bus to demand they delete the picture? (that's happened to me in NJ a few times)

I'm in public and I'm gonna take pictures of what I want. I'm not trying to take a picture of the op anyways and if he thinks so there's not much he can do anyways, it's public. I can walk through Times Square and expect to end up in some tourist's pictures even though they're not trying to take my picture.

Breaking TA rules? Please... Funny how you think it's "harassment" if a B/O turns around and starts taking photos of you when you initiate the harassment, but you can snap photos of the B/O when they clearly don't want photos taken of them and then yell harassment, as if they don't have a right to be left alone in peace. Talk about double standards... Way to justify selfish behavior.

And if the shoe was on the other foot and you didn't want your photo taken, you would find any reason to justify that. What a surprise. Kudos to the B/O for exercising his right to be left alone in peace.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Breaking TA rules? Please... Funny how you think it's "harassment" if a B/O turns around and starts taking photos of you when you initiate the harassment, but you can snap photos of the B/O when they clearly don't want photos taken of them and then yell harassment, as if they don't have a right to be left alone in peace. Talk about double standards... Way to justify selfish behavior.

And if the shoe was on the other foot and you didn't want your photo taken, you would find any reason to justify that. What a surprise. Kudos to the B/O for exercising his right to be left alone in peace.

No, no Please...

Rule states that you can't use an electronic device such as a cellphone, when operating a vehicle, he (the B/O) could've put the safety of everyone on the bus in danger.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

He was referring to the fact that he took out his phone wile driving which is against regulation

Unless it's a special find, or you went out for an hour+ just to get that one, why not just let them be? Yeah, I don't like it when drivers are rude about it, but in a lot of places it's still considered weird, and people don't know about the hobby. Personally, I think it gives a better impression to all of those drivers if we just stop when they ask. Most of the drivers up here have never heard of such a thing, but when they tell me to stop, I do, and explain why I was doing it, and it generally works out better between me and the drivers, and it helps alot whenever I need to get CDTA involved. And not just here, I do it for other agencies too.

He was referring to the fact that he took out his phone wile driving which is against regulation

Unless it's a special find, or you went out for an hour+ just to get that one, why not just let them be? Yeah, I don't like it when drivers are rude about it, but in a lot of places it's still considered weird, and people don't know about the hobby.

Yeah, I know what he was referring to but still. I don't blame the B/O. Some random stranger taking photos of him. He has no idea what the person's motives are and before you go yelling that he does, he doesn't. You have all sorts of weirdos out here following people, stalking people and taking photos of them. It's WEIRD and CREEPY. Never take anything for granted.

No, no Please...

Rule states that you can't use an electronic device such as a cellphone, when operating a vehicle, he (the B/O) could've put the safety of everyone on the bus in danger.

Oh that's interesting, and meanwhile the person taking the photo of the B/O could do the same thing, but nevermind that.

That's a minor detail that should be overlooked.

You have a right to take photos and people have a right to object to being photographed. Works both ways, and at some point the argument could be made that it's harassment.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Yeah, I know what he was referring to but still. I don't blame the B/O. Some random stranger taking photos of him. He has no idea what the person's motives are and before you go yelling that he does, he doesn't. You have all sorts of weirdos out here following people, stalking people and taking photos of them. It's WEIRD and CREEPY. Never take anything for granted.

Oh that's interesting, and meanwhile the person taking the photo of the B/O could do the same thing, but nevermind that.

That's a minor detail that should be overlooked.

You have a right to take photos and people have a right to object to being photographed. Works both ways, and at some point the argument could be made that it's harassment.

If they object, that's one thing. I'll abide to his/her objection. I've complied with those who politely showed in their own way that they didn't want to be on camera.

But if they act like an a**hole about it, I'll still take my photo and walk along my merry way. It's a matter of respect from my POV.

As for this one below....good luck trying to be alone in public.... especially with a job that requires you to work with the public...inside and outside of the bus!

Also, if the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't care who would take my picture while in operation.

Edited by Cait Sith

I wonder, why don't they run the vintage express buses on the expresses as well as the local vintage buses on the locals?

Partly because we don't really have any Vintage EXP buses other than 2185 AFAIK....

---EDIT---

This is a pretty interesting read...

Edited by Cait Sith

Partly because we don't really have any Vintage EXP buses other than 2185 AFAIK....

---EDIT---

Q102 Death...

Q19 Extension to 21 Street and Roosevelt Island..... 

Q39 Extension ro Roosevelt Island to replace the Q102....

Q67 Extension to Astoria (Ditmars Blvd?) to replace the Q102...

Q103 Extension Southwards

Q104 Extension to Astoria 21 Street....

Q105 Creation 

All for better Queens service.....

What is the Q105 supposed to do anyways?

EDIT: I also notice a revival of BMT Astoria express service. Don't we remember why it was discontinued in the first place?

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

I wonder, why don't they run the vintage express buses on the expresses as well as the local vintage buses on the locals?

Maybe that one suburban Fishbowl in the museum fleet can't handle highway running in its senior age.

---EDIT---

There's one Fishbowl with suburban seating in the vintage bus fleet.

EDIT: 8928 is the fishbowl with suburban seating, its one of the first express buses the TA ever bought for the Staten Island - Manhattan express route back in Dec of 69.

Edited by trainfan22

I was getting off the (2) a few minutes ago, and I saw a magical sight: not one, not two, but three B44 locals running together to Sheepshead Bay. I really wanted to take a picture, but I had turned my phone off and couldn't turn it on in time. I'll have to leave this screenshot from BusTime instead.

qWkbtxr.png