MCI D4500CTH (hybrid)

East New York

Motor Coach Industries - There are many destinations in life. And for communities that want to arrive in a greener place, one with cleaner air and better, more comfortable commuter options, MCI offers a greener alternative.

MCI, which brought you the very first hybrid-electric commuter coach, now unveils its next generation. Based on the high-capacity, best-selling D4500, MCI's 45-foot Hybrid uses the latest clean-diesel engine technology from Cummins along with the Allison H 50 EP Electric Drive Propulsion System, delivering impressive power, lower noise levels and significantly reduced carbon emissions. At the same time, passengers sit high above traffic in plush forward-facing, high-back reclining seats with LED reading lamps and overhead airflow controls.

It's everything you expect from MCI.

Engine: Cummins ISL 8.9 liter, 330hp

Transmission: Allison H 50 EP Electric Drive Propulsion System

Note: The Ep50 nomenclature has been discontinued

http://www.mcicoach.com/public-sector/publicHybrid.htm

http://www.mcicoach.com/literatureAssets/specHybrid.pdf

Images Courtesy of Motor Coach Industries

hybridSpec.jpg

hybridCutout.jpg

I would love to see a few of these in NYC!:cool:

Cummins ISL...? Interested to see how this bus runs with that engine, you know being that its a motor-coach, not a transit bus. Then again hound had MC12s with DD50 in em so maybe it won't be too bad, kinda worried we'd have a another D60 Artic/DD50 issue here with these buses being underpowered.

They will not have the ROAR that some of us enjoy

Very true! I bet It's got a smooth ride though. 0058 has the Allison system, and it was real smooth.

I dont agree with that tranny in question.

What do you mean?

Cummins ISL...? Interested to see how this bus runs with that engine, you know being that its a motor-coach, not a transit bus. Then again hound had MC12s with DD50 in em so maybe it won't be too bad, kinda worried we'd have a another D60 Artic/DD50 issue here with these buses being underpowered.

It has the Allison H50EP, whereas the regular 40 footers and most 60 footers have the H40EP(formerly the Ep40).

The only agency that I know of operating them is Houston Metro.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4817

Okay, where's the battery pack?

The tan box in the forward compartment are the batteries. The green box is the power center for the A/C.

It'll most likely take up space in the undercarriage, just like the CNG tanks on the CNG models.

...And I sure don't approve of that "transmission" either! Detroit Diesel Series 60 FTW!

Well yeah, in a perfect world that would be an option!

The Allison's and BAE's are mated to the Cummins. And the MCI can't use a BAE, or ISE because they are series hybrids. The Allison Dual Mode Parallel/Series is best for stop-and-go, and express ops at the same time. Series hybrids are only good for local frequent stops, and lower speeds.

The Front Looks Like A J4500

J4500s got curvy fronts and different headlights. They look MUCH MORE different compared to these. The Js sorta look more like the E4500s.

Compare this

DSC04224.jpg

to this

179844_10150178557064348_689259347_8636759_3619859_n.jpg

DSC04224.jpg
I've been seeing pictures of this lately, and at first, the white lettering on the sign plus the resolution of the font make it look like a rollsign, but on the side it is clear it is glowing.

So this is some new LED sign? What kind is that?

Is this going to replace amber on transit signs?

I've been seeing pictures of this lately, and at first, the white lettering on the sign plus the resolution of the font make it look like a rollsign, but on the side it is clear it is glowing.

Nothing new. LED's are available in White, Blue, Green, Amber, Red, & Purple. Different transit agencies opt for different signs. Majority of them go with amber.

IIRC those signs are TwinVisions in the white LED version!

Nothing new. LED's are available in White, Blue, Green, Amber, Red, & Purple. Different transit agencies opt for different signs. Majority of them go with amber.
OK; I've just never seen them use white on transportation vehicles.

In fact, white only text signs are still fairly rare (The Sony Style store had one, and that's the only one I can even think of right now). I heard it was because of the glare that the red-orange-amber range was preferred.

And the font looks so good; it looked like an advancement, to where LED's are just as clear as printed signs.

(MTA) really should look into these for both buses and trains. But they seem fixated on the red and amber only. (They won't even go with color changing route fields on buses, saying the computers don't have the capacity).

IIRC those signs are TwinVisions in the white LED version!
Thanks!

OK; I've just never seen them use white on transportation vehicles.

In fact, white only text signs are still fairly rare (The Sony Style store had one, and that's the only one I can even think of right now). I heard it was because of the glare that the red-orange-amber range was preferred.

And the font looks so good; it looked like an advancement, to where LED's are just as clear as printed signs.

(MTA) really should look into these for both buses and trains. But they seem fixated on the red and amber only. (They won't even go with color changing route fields on buses, saying the computers don't have the capacity).

Thanks!

Correct. The white is very rare. I think I have only seen it on a transit bus once.

As far as the color changing signs, several TA's across the country have them actually. As far as MTA goes, I'm not sure the computers could hold all those routes and color changing options unless it is simplified.

Archived