MTA cards may soon be replaced by 'contactless' credit card as 'E-ZPass' for subway riders

I look forward to this new technology. To me it means one less card to carry in my wallet, or worry about taking when travelling. I was an early adopter for the current Easy Pay Xpress Metrocard. The one thing I don't like about that card is when I swipe, it doesn't tell me my current balance. And there is no web site where I can actually see my account and use available online.

It makes it necessary to write down each use somewhere if you want to be sure you are not being charged improperly when you see the replenish debit on your bank card statement.

I wouldn't worry about hackers stealing from your account, as card issuers always protect you from any unauthorized charges.

If they take the Student Metrocards away, I'm screwed! theres no yellowing busing in HS, & I barely have enough money to currently get an unlimited metrocard.

Im freakin screwed!! $#!t!!

on the other hand, will we still be able to use the new "MTA cards" as unlimited metrocards? because if not that will be the complete end for my subway trips :mad::cry:

The (MTA) last year said that this is the last year of funding Student Metrocards..

When did they say that?

I'm not saying that I would approve of getting rid of student cards. I'm just saying objectively that this would be the perfect time to eliminate them, as they introduce a new fare collecting system. However, they could introduce student cards with the RFID technology. Unlikely given that they want to eliminate the cards.

Students: see above.

Single rides: maybe a paper ticket with a single use barcode. However, this would require barcode scanners as well as the RFID technology for regular cards.

Needing a metrocard from someone else but they're somewhere else: you would still be screwed with the current metrocards so this makes no sense.

There is the chance that they could do what they did last year: They can get all the parents and students riled up to try to get more funding: This time with the threat of saying "This is the perfect time to eliminate them because of this new technology"

If they take the Student Metrocards away, I'm screwed! theres no yellowing busing in HS, & I barely have enough money to currently get an unlimited metrocard.

Im freakin screwed!! $#!t!!

on the other hand, will we still be able to use the new "MTA cards" as unlimited metrocards? because if not that will be the complete end for my subway trips :mad::cry:

They'll definitely have some Unlimited version of the MTA card.

The thing that I don't get is how elementary school students get free school bus service, which is more expensive to provide (plus, I'm sure there are additional safety requirements that must be met), and middle and high school students would have to pay to ride regular buses and subways. Obviously, I'm not suggesting to give a 5 year-old a MetroCard and have them use public transportation by themselves, but it is amazing the disparity of DOE funding towards school buses vs. Student MetroCards.

But then it got protested. I, among many others, would not be happy with the loss of them. But I'm well aware that it's not the (MTA)'s fault. The city/state is really supposed to be more involved then they are.

Where exactly is the city/state suppose to be getting these funds from when the city and state are both broke????? :P

I sure as heck don't want my city or state taxes going up any more than what it is already to subsidize Student Metrocards. Screw that! :mad:

@Nexis: Not to bother you, but The Netherlands is the first country to use these cards all over the place, not Septa. We can use these cards all over the place, no matter what company travels us. So that includes bus, train, tram etc. In 2007 it came and since 2010 we can use it everywhere. So Septa doesn't get the credit, except for being the first system in North America to use it all over their territorry. But not the first in the world.

NYC is the newest addtion to this and I really hope they do better than here.

Hong Kong was the first City , back in 1997. The Octopus card....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus_card

When did they say that?

During all the hooplah about the fare hikes and stuff. We weren't even supposed to have full-fare student cards this year -- everyone was supposed to get a half fare card, but the state bailed us out.

And yes, they could try to weasel out more funding from the state by using public anger... but I seriously doubt it'll work this time around. Lightning doesn't usually strike twice.

During all the hooplah about the fare hikes and stuff. We weren't even supposed to have full-fare student cards this year -- everyone was supposed to get a half fare card, but the state bailed us out.

And yes, they could try to weasel out more funding from the state by using public anger... but I seriously doubt it'll work this time around. Lightning doesn't usually strike twice.

They didn't get any additional funding from the city and state: They simply agreed not to cut funding any further.

But do you have a document saying that this would be the last year for the Student MetroCard program? A statement on the news or a statement on their website or something like that?

Glad to see this is moving forward. But they should do as PATH does and still use paper single rides.

I look forward to this new technology. To me it means one less card to carry in my wallet, or worry about taking when travelling. I was an early adopter for the current Easy Pay Xpress Metrocard. The one thing I don't like about that card is when I swipe, it doesn't tell me my current balance. And there is no web site where I can actually see my account and use available online.

It makes it necessary to write down each use somewhere if you want to be sure you are not being charged improperly when you see the replenish debit on your bank card statement.

I wouldn't worry about hackers stealing from your account, as card issuers always protect you from any unauthorized charges.

There's a link on the MTA website. You need the account number and pin you got when you opened the account. I check my balance daily.

They didn't get any additional funding from the city and state: They simply agreed not to cut funding any further.

But do you have a document saying that this would be the last year for the Student MetroCard program? A statement on the news or a statement on their website or something like that?

I didn't find anything suggesting that this would definitely be the last year for the program -- but a half-hearted search did produce something that said "all the MTA can legally guarantee is one year [until the next budget is passed]". And, again, I don't think lightning will strike twice.

Where exactly is the city/state suppose to be getting these funds from when the city and state are both broke????? :P

I sure as heck don't want my city or state taxes going up any more than what it is already to subsidize Student Metrocards. Screw that! :mad:

A question ,

Did you use the student bus/train pass here in nyc,(that's if you went here)?

S/F,

CEYA!

Japan has 4 types of system in place.

You can pay in person for ticket.

You can buy ticket at machine.

You can buy monthly or season ticket.

And use TAP system with card and cell phones ( was just starting when I was there- Mobile Suica).

S/F,

CEYA!

The Netherlands also uses smart cards (and paper tickets, but the paper tickets will stop this year). Belgium uses paper tickets. I believe Germany does too.

Smart Cards are way better, you just have to implement it right.

So, that's it. They (might) take away Student Metrocards, so now what are stuggiling families like mine going to do, grow a money tree? My family relies on the Student Metrocards for me and my siblings to get to school, and it's already hard for my mom to buy her monthly cards, so imagine what type of struggle it would be to buy four monthly cards?!?! Although the cards take a huge chunk out of the (MTA) budget, something needs to be done to keep families like mine all over the city, from falling into a pit of debt....

they will be doing this soon. the MTA is working on having this in less than 5 years because they did a study and found that the smartcard will save them money on reuse and those people that tamper with the cards too do that pay a dollar swipe. it shouldnt be long until we start seeing them change over too the smartcards.

Archived