New Flyer C40LF Discussion

KNIGHTRIDER3:16

I don't know why the MTA didn't try to build a new CNG plant at LGA. If LGA had CNG buses and a fueling station, there wouldn't even be a bus shortage at LGA.

Is there still reminants of epuipment (pipelines, fueling station/pad) at LGA. It could be attempted if part of the old equipment could be salvaged.,

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of flexibility I guess I'd be okay for LGA to have a CNG plant. But I think they'd be more useful if all LGA buses were CNG, not only 29 (or whatever it is) out of 230 or so buses.

Agreed. The thought on my end was them just continuing the current C40LF contract to buy buses for LGA, and then once that runs out maybe some XN40 to replace the rest of the RTSes in 2014.

Nopeee...we wont see XN40s...unlesss more depots get CNG...hey...now that Orion is gone...NICE might buy XN40s to retire the O5 CNGs

I was referring to XN40s down the road for LGA if they had put in a new CNG filling station there.

I should've clarified that. Sorry.

Is there still reminants of epuipment (pipelines, fueling station/pad) at LGA. It could be attempted if part of the old equipment could be salvaged.,

The old equipment was ancient and not up to standard, it already has been removed. Pipeline is still there.

In terms of flexibility I guess I'd be okay for LGA to have a CNG plant. But I think they'd be more useful if all LGA buses were CNG, not only 29 (or whatever it is) out of 230 or so buses.

I would assume should the situation arise LGA would become 100% CNG.

The old equipment was ancient and not up to standard, it already has been removed. Pipeline is still there.

Alright, thanks for some feedback.

LGA will NEVER get CNG back ever.... period. The CP 0-5s are loaners only.

Who said LGA wouldn't be CNG again? And yes, everyone is aware of the CP/LGA loan.

Yes, it was just an idea. We all realize it won't happen.

Who said it wouldn't? If the MTA was smart they would've rebuilt years ago.

I would assume should the situation arise LGA would become 100% CNG.

Alright, thanks for some feedback.

Who said LGA wouldn't be CNG again? And yes, everyone is aware of the CP/LGA loan.

Who said it wouldn't? If the MTA was smart they would've rebuilt years ago.

Well, they didn't. The explosion scared them. Let's be honest, if they did, the Greg Mockers and the Post would rip them a new one for doing so. (See: Yellow Journalism)

LGA had a CNG plant, it blew up.

this was back in 2006. i was very little but i remember when i heard a BOOM!!!!! Because i live 4 blocks from the LGA Bus Depot and still living there today (except living in a different apt). However, i think that it would best not to build a CNG plant.

Well, they didn't. The explosion scared them. Let's be honest, if they did, the Greg Mockers and the Post would rip them a new one for doing so. (See: Yellow Journalism)

Screw Mocker and the crap he calls news.

And besides, the MTA will eventually see the benefits of using natural gas, even if it takes an entire century into forcing them to do so.

And besides, the MTA will eventually see the benefits of using natural gas, even if it takes an entire century into forcing them to do so.

That's not going to happen. The only reason that the MTA got CNG buses in the first place is because the was a government mandate stating that their fleet had to be at least 20% alternatively fueled for them to receive funding for new buses. If it wasn't for that there would be no CNG or hybrid buses in the fleet due to their excessive costs over a comparable plain diesel bus.

In a century their buses will all be electric. Actually, probably by 2040.

That's not going to happen. The only reason that the MTA got CNG buses in the first place is because the was a government mandate stating that their fleet had to be at least 20% alternatively fueled for them to receive funding for new buses. If it wasn't for that there would be no CNG or hybrid buses in the fleet due to their excessive costs over a comparable plain diesel bus.

This is not necessarily true anymore due to the rise in oil prices in recent years and the fall in natural gas prices due to the tremendous growth in U.S. domestic gas production.  Recent studies are finding that CNG buses are cheaper to operate over the standard 12-year life cycle of a heavy-duty transit bus even when factoring in the higher bus purchase price and the construction and operational cost of a CNG refueling facility.  I think the MTA thought they could avoid the capital costs of building CNG refueling facilities by going with hybrid buses but clearly did not expect these would be so costly to operate.  The economics of CNG may cause the MTA to chnage its mind again.

Archived