Code update??

+Young+

So MTAB still uses a totally different code system? So when they transfer a bus from one sub-agency to another, they have to completely reprogram the signs?

It's union issues as to why a complete merger isn't done yet, right? What would make them keep the codes separate?

So MTAB still uses a totally different code system? So when they transfer a bus from one sub-agency to another, they have to completely reprogram the signs?

It's union issues as to why a complete merger isn't done yet, right? What would make them keep the codes separate?

They reprogram them when they switch over. MTAB follows a totally different code scheme...

The first 2 numbers (or number if its a single digit route) is the route number and the last number is the direction its going

ex: 11x=Q11, 6x=Q6

Now express busses are different. IIRC, they use 4 digits with the 1st number being a 6 for the QMs, (not so sure about the BMs & BxMs), the next 2 numbers being the route and the last number whatever way its going

ex: 624x=QM24, 608x=QM8

As for routes with 3 digits, I'm not sure how that's done

Let the CODEBREAKER shed some light on this ducky

For MTAB its confusing a little = EXP is 6xxx or 3xxx

Locals = Q66= 661 662 etc. but B103 is 2030 so as you can see A True Codebreaker really must know what has to be inputted

NYCT is sick with special codes and reg.=8444 is Q44 Union Tpke but its also 5440 5 for queens and 440 for said route.

Subway Shuttles are nuts cause you could find every shuttle in that Luminator starting with 9xxx

They reprogram them when they switch over. MTAB follows a totally different code scheme...

The first 2 numbers (or number if its a single digit route) is the route number and the last number is the direction its going

ex: 11x=Q11, 6x=Q6

Now express busses are different. IIRC, they use 4 digits with the 1st number being a 6 for the QMs, (not so sure about the BMs & BxMs), the next 2 numbers being the route and the last number whatever way its going

ex: 624x=QM24, 608x=QM8

As for routes with 3 digits, I'm not sure how that's done

BM's use 7, BxM's use 5. 3 digit routes use this: 100x=Q100

Adding on, NYCT's code list is broken down by the borough (first digit), route (middle two digits) and destination (last digit).

Manhattan (double digits): 1xxx

Manhattan (triple digits): 2xxx

Bronx: 3xxx

Brooklyn: 4xxx

Queens: 5xxx

Staten Island: 6xxx

Express: 7xxx

Shuttles: 9xxx

There are thousand upon thousands of codes; however, say I want to input the S79 to the SI Mall. Simple, I punch "DEST A", followed by "6" for Staten Island, "79" for the S79, and then "0" for the destination, and I'll get the S79 reading to the mall.

The codes show normal terminals, part-time (short-turn terminals, like the S78 to the Richmond Avenue instead of Bricktown Mall or Tottenville), as well as school tripper terminals (S78 to Huguenot - Luten Avenue, although some regular non-school buses do turn there in the a.m. rush hour). There used to be codes in which a bus could short-turn if necessary. Adding on, there were codes that were never used, which most have since been removed. There used to be a code for the S59 to stop at the CSI entrance and then continue to either Eltingville or Port Richmond but it was taken out. Some codes have been put in because of future service provisions (e.g. X21, which was discontinued but is planned to be brought back).

But on LIB, you don't get the direction of the route like you would in the city. Instead of "41S" (N41 to Freeport), you get 4103, 41 being the route, and 03 meaning "south."

I asked way back when what the numbers meant, but I'll find it later.

That's on a transfer. We're talking about destination signs. There's no letters involved. Ex: 60= N6 to Hempstead

I have a few additions added 2011...i am not giving the Code Numbers,,sorry

Bx23 Sb co-op city

loop

via sec 5

via Bartow av

M10 SB

59 st-Broadway'

via Central Pk. W.

Q37 SB

s. ozone Pk.

150 av

via 111 st

QM1i8 EB

S.ozone Pk

130 st

via Lefferts Bl.

x37 NB

Middtown

57 st

via FDR---23 st

via Madison av

x37 SB

Bay Ridge

Shore Rd

via 23 st

via FDR Drive

x38 nb

Midtown

57 st

via FDR--23 st

via Madision av

x38 SB

Bensonhurst\

cropsey av

via 23 st

via FDR drive

x38 SB

Coney Island

Sea Gate

via 23 st --FDR

via Cropsey av

x27 NB

Midtown

57 st

via Church st

via Madison av

x27 SB

Bay Ridge

shore Rd

via Broadway

x27 NB

Downtown

WORTH ST

X27 nb

23 ST=Broadway

via Church St

x28 NB

Midtown

57 st

via Church St

via Madison av

x28 SB

Bensonhurst

cropsey av

via Broadway

x28 NB

Downtown

Worth st

x28 SB

Coney Island

Sea Gate

Via Broadway

via Cropsey av

x28 NB

23 st-broadway

via Church st

x22 NB

east Midtown

57 st

via New Jersey

via Madision

x22 SB

Tottenville

via New Jersey

via Amboy Rd

x22 Sb

Outerbridge

Park--Ride

via New Jersey

via Rossville

x22 SB

Tpttenville

via Park --Ride

via Amboy Rd

M50

east side

49 st==1 av

crosstown

s74 S

Bricktown Mall

via Ar Kill Rd

s78 S

Bricktown Mall

via Hylan

s84 S

Limited

BRICKTOWN Mall

via Ar Kill Rd

QM16

Roxbury'

B.169 st

via cross Bay Bl

via Rock Bch Bl

QM24

Midtown'

57 st

via 6y Av

• 3 weeks later...

I know the link was posted back in 2006 and this is only my third time looking at this code update thread but alot of these codes have been removed and not used anymore due to the amount of cuts transit has made...what are the current codes that are used???

• 4 weeks later...
It would be nice to see defunct destination signs for routes no longer running (Bx23, Bx24, Bx54, etc etc...)

I think the (old) Bx23 and Bx54 were eliminated before 1989.

3240=Bx24 to Fieldston

3241=Bx24 to Fordham Plaza

4050=B5 to Flatbush

4051=B5 to Gravesend/Canal Av

4500=B50 to Spring Creek

4501=B50 to Midwood

5860=Q86 to Rosedale LIRR

5861=Q86 to 147 Av

Archived