Head of MTA announces resignation

mark1447

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good column Brooklyn Bus. I'd just like to add that I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Gunn a few times (20+) in my time down under and it was always a pleasant encounter. Perhaps Mr. Gunn or Mr. Sander would make a good replacement candidate, politics aside?

I agree. I don't think either of them would want the headache.

A few questions... Could the governor appoint someone from the inside? I would personally like to see someone from the outer boroughs take over like Alan Cappelli. I don't know how well he understands transit, but he certainly understands the difficult commutes that folks in the outer boroughs have and he has spoken out on numerous occasions about cuts made to transit in the outer boroughs, (i.e. cut backs on the S79). It may sound like a minor thing but it would be great if we could get someone in office that finally gives equal attention to the outer boroughs and Manhattan and not just Manhattan.

Union workers hate it when they get a boss who remembers that he's in charge, not them.

----

Dear TWU, you got what you wanted, here's hoping the next guy is even worse.

Cheers! :P

Since when do you speak for Union workers?

A few questions... Could the governor appoint someone from the inside? I would personally like to see someone from the outer boroughs take over like Alan Cappelli. I don't know how well he understands transit, but he certainly understands the difficult commutes that folks in the outer boroughs have and he has spoken out on numerous occasions about cuts made to transit in the outer boroughs, (i.e. cut backs on the S79). It may sound like a minor thing but it would be great if we could get someone in office that finally gives equal attention to the outer boroughs and Manhattan and not just Manhattan.

To be fair, I remember hearing that Walder grew up somewhere in the Rockaways, but I don't think that affected his decision to cut back service in the outer boroughs.

I think any head of the MTA will most likely take the word of Operations Planning that the cuts won't affect to many people (relative to the amount of money saved). But who knows: Maybe a head from the outer boroughs would scrutinize the cuts a little bit more and get rid of the worst ones (Q79, B4, etc)

To be fair, I remember hearing that Walder grew up somewhere in the Rockaways, but I don't think that affected his decision to cut back service in the outer boroughs.

I think any head of the MTA will most likely take the word of Operations Planning that the cuts won't affect to many people (relative to the amount of money saved). But who knows: Maybe a head from the outer boroughs would scrutinize the cuts a little bit more and get rid of the worst ones (Q79, B4, etc)

I should've elaborated a bit more... I meant someone from the outerboroughs who grew up understanding and knowing what folks in the outerboroughs deal with. I doubt Walder relied on public transportation to get around. Cappelli is far more understanding of the problems that the outerboroughs face.

My guess is that Cuomo may appoint someone again from the real estate or biz industry. During last year (2010)campaign he offered very little plans on addressing the (MTA) fiscal crisis.

Thus this pick will say alot on the Gov.'s vision for mass transit in both metro NYC and the state.

I should've elaborated a bit more... I meant someone from the outerboroughs who grew up understanding and knowing what folks in the outerboroughs deal with. I doubt Walder relied on public transportation to get around. Cappelli is far more understanding of the problems that the outerboroughs face.

But I doubt it would make much of a difference, though. For example, Lee Sander's daughter relied on the Q76, but that didn't stop him from trying to eliminate weekend service.

For example, you know what I would do if I were head of the MTA, and this is coming from somebody who's commute is 90 minutes each way (though, admittedly, there are some improvements I would like to see that would end up helping me out, but they're based on ridership and coverage rather than personal reasons)

But I doubt it would make much of a difference, though. For example, Lee Sander's daughter relied on the Q76, but that didn't stop him from trying to eliminate weekend service.

For example, you know what I would do if I were head of the MTA, and this is coming from somebody who's commute is 90 minutes each way (though, admittedly, there are some improvements I would like to see that would end up helping me out, but they're based on ridership and coverage rather than personal reasons)

Yeah and then you have a guy like me and BrooklynBus that are big advocates for outerborough improvements and we've both worked with the (MTA) even though mine stints were just summer internships, but I've considered at some point working for them again in some capacity (perhaps interning if I go back to grad school in the next few years or so) and working my way in that way. :P

Becuase I'm smart enough to avoid them.

I don't like the TWU. And I never will until, they learn their place.

I've spent the last two days with no internet do to something at a verizion facilty breaking and them not having a spare. I'm a cranky SOB at the moment, so don't start with me.

Oh please like you are relevant...

Do you have any idea short bus what i mean by that?

Go back under your rock now little boy..

Thought you will never listen to what i said. Say hi to your friend Mr. Toussaint and you radical members of the TWU have a strike. We see how popular you upper management are.

PS I am 38 year old. And have a Master's in Urban Studies. While you RTO probably barely finished high school.

Thought you will never listen to what i said. Say hi to your friend Mr. Toussaint and you radical members of the TWU have a strike. We see how popular you upper management are.

PS I am 38 year old. And have a Master's in Urban Studies. While you RTO probably barely finished high school.

For the record Short Bus the man never was my friend, and he sold us down the river i didnt even vote for him..

As for your "college education" what good is it if you are spending so much time posting on a message board? As for my"barely passing" High School education it got me a job making close to 100 grand a year(Plumber) before i took a pay cut to come down here. Hey thats Ok though...

Heres the part that gonna make you be Quiet now if you got any sense, I can GO Back whenever i want to but i choose to say down here. Hey when im 62(God Willing) im going to be collecting TWO pensions..

Lets see if you can get one...

Dont worry you arent the first "college educated" person i have owned and you wont be the last...

(Blows nose with Diploma and hands it back to you)

For the record Short Bus the man never was my friend, and he sold us down the river i didnt even vote for him..

As for your "college education" what good is it if you are spending so much time posting on a message board? As for my"barely passing" High School education it got me a job making close to 100 grand a year(Plumber) before i took a pay cut to come down here. Hey thats Ok though...

Heres the part that gonna make you be Quiet now if you got any sense, I can GO Back whenever i want to but i choose to say down here. Hey when im 62(God Willing) im going to be collecting TWO pensions..

Lets see if you can get one...

Dont worry you arent the first "college educated" person i have owned and you wont be the last...

(Blows nose with Diploma and hands it back to you)

At least i am in a respected profession like teaching and now a crappy Ed Norton wannabe like you. Life is not always about $$$.

And someone like you is why people outside of NYC dislike arrogrant new yorkers like you.:tdown:

Go back being a rude (MTA) employee and have a nice life. Bye Bye.:cool:

At least i am in a respected profession like teaching and now a crappy Ed Norton wannabe like you. Life is not always about $$$.

And someone like you is why people outside of NYC dislike arrogrant new yorkers like you.:tdown:

Go back being a rude (MTA) employee and have a nice life. Bye Bye.:cool:

If I didnt know any better i thought you was 12 years old are you going to cry now?

Um i Live in Westchester County BTW..

You said you got a college education?

Archived