MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

On 5/30/2023 at 8:23 AM, Bill from Maspeth said:

FLXIBLE.  There is not E before the X.

My bad I didn't even exist when those buses were rolling around I've only seen a few pictures. I don't know much about the fleet, except that they didn't last very long.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/5/2023 at 1:15 PM, Iron Valiant said:

You say "only" but it's actually every depot in Brooklyn Division except East New York and Fresh Pond.

East New York is next on the Horizon to get Artics for service on the B82SBS. 

On 5/31/2023 at 8:17 PM, IAlam said:

My bad I didn't even exist when those buses were rolling around I've only seen a few pictures. I don't know much about the fleet, except that they didn't last very long.

Only if you was born in the early 1990s. The last Flxible 9000s were gone by August 1994

Edited by FLX9304

5 hours ago, Calvin said:

6080 has Baisley Park stickers on both sides. Although, it still has the SBS readings on there. 

The MTA seems to slowly be doing away with the SBS branding on buses as evident with CS XD60s being painted in regular scheme and MTA Bus’s 2020 XD60’s not coming in SBS paint. So at this point I don’t even think they  care about transferring SBS branded units for regular local service. I’m more surprised that LGA gave BP one of their artics because summer is almost here and CS usually loans LGA a few of their 5900 series XD60s and I know LGA doesn’t have a ton of spares to begin with which is why they kept the 2017 XD60s. 

29 minutes ago, IAlam said:

It seems like the MTA is now putting digital mirrors on buses. I found this video on TikTok 

Whenever I see these I think, one more thing to break. On the other hand, a huge chunk of accidents involving buses have to do with the massive mirrors, so reducing the collision rate however possible isn't a bad idea. Plus, on a car with electric mirrors, you could be sure the tech would break after 20-30 years, if not sooner. But bus lifespans are only 15-20 (and ideally, 12) years anyway.

On 6/16/2023 at 9:25 AM, MHV9218 said:

Whenever I see these I think, one more thing to break. 

This, 100%  I've operated buses where the destination signs, farebox, cameras, automated stop announcements, AVL system, etc. were not functioning as designed, or at all.  I've never operated a bus where the mirrors just decided to stop reflecting though, LOL.  

* 4582 was previously at Eastchester as a training bus with other units, such as 4415 and 4533. However, it was said to be at LaGuardia but, currently now in passenger service. 

Edited by Calvin
Part of 4378, reactivated in service.

1 hour ago, limitednyc said:

So can new flyer handle nyc by it self. And what happened with express busses?

I guess because NFI is the only company so far for the (MTA) for future orders. However, there are other manufacturers they can explore like Gillig. Also, NFI owns MCI. Unless there will be another express bus company to take in competition, for now it's just New Flyer.

Edited by RSMG106

Below is what the MTA has planned for future bus orders over next three capital programs. Of course these are extremely preliminary based on available funding, service demands, and the infrastructure needed to support these vehicles. As such, this is subject to change

2025-2029 Capital Program

NYCT:

1.       500 new 40-foot transit buses, power source TBD.

2.       700 new 40-foot transit buses, all-electric.

3.       335 new 60-foot transit buses, power source TBD.

4.       200 new 60-foot transit buses, all-electric.

5.       300 new 45-foot express buses, Power source TBD.

6.       50 new 45-foot express buses, all-electric.

MTA Bus:

7.       50 new 40-foot transit buses, all-electric.

8.       90-new 60-foot transit buses, power source TBD.

2030-2034 Capital Program:

NYCT:

9.       1,305 new 40-foot transit buses, all-electric.

10.   140 new 60-foot transit buses, all-electric.

11.   75 new 45-foot express buses, all-electric.

MTA Bus:

12.   150 new 40-foot transit buses, all-electric.

13.   55 new 60-foot transit buses, all-electric.

14.   260 new 45-foot express buses, all-electric.

2035-2039 Capital Program

NYCT:

15.   1,310 new 40-foot transit buses, all-electric.

16.   670 new 60-foot transit buses, all-electric.

17.   445 new 45-foot express buses, all-electric.

MTA Bus:

18.   570 new 40-foot transit buses, all-electric.

19.   90 new 60-foot transit buses, all-electric.

20.   250 new 45-foot express buses, all-electric.

12 hours ago, Novabus 5000 said:

Below is what the MTA has planned for future bus orders over next three capital programs. Of course these are extremely preliminary based on available funding, service demands, and the infrastructure needed to support these vehicles. As such, this is subject to change

2025-2029 Capital Program

NYCT:

1.       500 new 40-foot transit buses, power source TBD.

2.       700 new 40-foot transit buses, all-electric.

3.       335 new 60-foot transit buses, power source TBD.

4.       200 new 60-foot transit buses, all-electric.

5.       300 new 45-foot express buses, Power source TBD.

6.       50 new 45-foot express buses, all-electric.

MTA Bus:

7.       50 new 40-foot transit buses, all-electric.

8.       90-new 60-foot transit buses, power source TBD.

2030-2034 Capital Program:

NYCT:

9.       1,305 new 40-foot transit buses, all-electric.

10.   140 new 60-foot transit buses, all-electric.

11.   75 new 45-foot express buses, all-electric.

MTA Bus:

12.   150 new 40-foot transit buses, all-electric.

13.   55 new 60-foot transit buses, all-electric.

14.   260 new 45-foot express buses, all-electric.

2035-2039 Capital Program

NYCT:

15.   1,310 new 40-foot transit buses, all-electric.

16.   670 new 60-foot transit buses, all-electric.

17.   445 new 45-foot express buses, all-electric.

MTA Bus:

18.   570 new 40-foot transit buses, all-electric.

19.   90 new 60-foot transit buses, all-electric.

20.   250 new 45-foot express buses, all-electric.

Dose this include the the previously reported artic order of 300+ artics.

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

So wild to think that entire fleet is going to have to be New Flyer, unless there's some major shift in the US market.

We could start seeing Proterras in the near future. Since Nova's leaving the U.S. Market, those 5 electric demos we were supposed to get from them can probably become Proterra ZX5 demos. I think it's a possibility.

30 minutes ago, limitednyc said:

Dose this include the the previously reported artic order of 300+ artics.

I think what you're referring to is part of the current capital plan. Speaking of which, can someone give a rundown of what's included in the current 2020-2024 Capital Program? 

4 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

We could start seeing Proterras in the near future. Since Nova's leaving the U.S. Market, those 5 electric demos we were supposed to get from them can probably become Proterra ZX5 demos. I think it's a possibility.

I mean, I wish, I want Proterra to succeed, but they're doing terribly. The SEPTA situation was a disaster and pointed to real structural problems with their design. And they only have one design.

6 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

I mean, I wish, I want Proterra to succeed, but they're doing terribly. The SEPTA situation was a disaster and pointed to real structural problems with their design. And they only have one design.

I did hear something about that, It's very concerning and pretty unfortunate. I am disappointed that Nova is leaving the U.S. market, just as I was hoping to see them have an even stronger presence here in the city.

In the meantime, I hope New Flyer can keep it together; Certain things I've been hearing doesn't sound too good. I'm concerned that quality control may become worse over time.