Manhattan Added: Comprehensive MTA Regional Bus Operations Destination Sign Code List

The Real

It must be time for them to get a bigger "destination sign brain". Not only to accommodate a complete two-letter express designation, but also to accommodate color changing LED's, since this capacity limit is the reason they tole me that couldn't be implemented as well.

I'm going to explain to you one of the varying reasons why....

As RBO takes effect and everything becomes one. The biggest hurdle the MTA will face will be Destination Sign programming. The destination sign's brain can only handle so many readings. Omitting something as trivial as a BM and turning it into an X could open up so much more memory in the signs programming. This is why you have things separated now as it is, the MTAB Program and the NYCB Program can not be placed into one single program as it will not fit. The biggest problem with bus movements is the need to keep reflashing signs as buses are moved between the two entities.

Think about it, use the left side of your brain just for a minute for me. Let's say MTA Regional Bus is in full swing, Bus #8080 Leaves Queens Village for Eastchester, and because the sign program is separated instead of having the bus ready to go for the next morning OR even that day, the bus has to be sidelined to be reflashed with another set of readings, BUT THEN, Eastchester looses the bus 4 days later back to Queens Village, NOW that sign has to be reflashed again and guess what, they aren't that quick to reflash stuff.

NOW...with a streamlined route system, with streamlined readings where EVERY reading is in the bus. 8080 would've been from QV to EC to QV without the loss a valuable day of service because it didn't have the right sign program (MIND YOU that is tied into the farebox programming for the operator).

So you see, operationally, it makes all the sense in the world have the signs all together, but we can't do it if we don't have the space....which is taken up by several signs that are using 1-2 extra characters that could be used in another form or fashion.

And before you jump up and say how does one measly character matter, it does when the character is bigger than the dest readings themselves, that 1 larger character omitted could easily make way for 1-2 more full readings in terms of use of memory.

Interesting... So I guess this means that if they actually proceed with this then you'll see express buses being sent back and forth between (MTA) Bus and NYCT then no? I've noticed that basically (MTA) Bus express buses don't get moved around between depots and if they are, they are usually kept within (MTA) Bus depots. For example, I notice that the 74XX express buses that Eastchester had went over to Spring Creek and that the only NYCT depots exchanging express buses is QV, UP, YUK & CAS, all amongst themselves of course. The one exception was when Castleton had some of the (MTA) Bus express buses when they had a bunch of express buses that needed to be rehabbed or whatever.

as long as the bus services themselves are up & running, I could care less.... (I'm) Not gonna get caught up in renamings or whatever.... That has always been my stance as it pertains to this.....

all that about memory usage for the destination signage & what not (while somewhat interesting, since I have a degree in electronics), I'll let the programmers worry about that..... It's no different than folks that wanna sit up there & micro-analyze the MTA's monetary usage/figures....

anyway, w/ the renaming thing.... sure there'll be confusion at first, but I can't see ppl. gettin pissed on the count of:

"wtf is a x50 - I NEED my bus to read QM1 goddamit"

anyway, w/ the renaming thing.... sure there'll be confusion at first, but I can't see ppl. gettin pissed on the count of:

"wtf is a x50 - I NEED my bus to read QM1 goddamit"

Well of course not, but you have to admit that it will be rather weird... I mean the BM3 has been around for years now and even though the X16 was axed, we still talk about it as if it still exists.

Interesting... So I guess this means that if they actually proceed with this then you'll see express buses being sent back and forth between (MTA) Bus and NYCT then no? I've noticed that basically (MTA) Bus express buses don't get moved around between depots and if they are, they are usually kept within (MTA) Bus depots. For example, I notice that the 74XX express buses that Eastchester had went over to Spring Creek and that the only NYCT depots exchanging express buses is QV, UP, YUK & CAS, all amongst themselves of course. The one exception was when Castleton had some of the (MTA) Bus express buses when they had a bunch of express buses that needed to be rehabbed or whatever.

You know, I don't think it would even matter anymore as for what buses get sent between what depot anymore because the way I see it, it would be sensible to redesignate all the buses "(MTA) Regional Bus" on the sides and back when everything's all said and done. Think about it, what's happening right now is when an NYCT bus goes to an MTA Bus depot and vice versa, like Trevor said the signs need to have the proper codes put in. Then the next thing is restickering the buses to read MTA Bus or New York City Bus...which is not so much of a big deal, but that's just the way I see it, it'd be better off to have all the buses under just one name instead of two.

You know, I don't think it would even matter anymore as for what buses get sent between what depot anymore because the way I see it, it would be sensible to redesignate all the buses "(MTA) Regional Bus" on the sides and back when everything's all said and done. Think about it, what's happening right now is when an NYCT bus goes to an MTA Bus depot and vice versa, like Trevor said the signs need to have the proper codes put in. Then the next thing is restickering the buses to read MTA Bus or New York City Bus...which is not so much of a big deal, but that's just the way I see it, it'd be better off to have all the buses under just one name instead of two.

Actually it would matter though because remember that the (MTA) cares about the mileage put on buses too so I would imagine that they still might keep tight dibs on which buses go where. However, I still could see buses being shuffled around a bit more than they are currently.

• 1 month later...

Actually, TA and BC swap MCI's more than you know. Mostly the older ones though.

I definitely don't think they should be Regional Bus. It all needs to be MTA New York City Bus, because its not regional at all. It's all NYC.

hi

does anyone have the latest update

steve:)

They will be updated soon for the new SBS.

I know two of the new codes for M34 SBS are 1346 and 1347.. Didn't try any others. I tried it on one of the RTS' 2 days ago. The rear route sign displays "M34", then flashes to "SBS", smilar to how "LTD" appears in the rear for RTSs.

The others may be 1348 & 1349. Try those and see what you get.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
MTA Regional Bus Destination Sign Codes - TTMG's Transitwiki

I will continue to add the remaining codes in this order:

Staten Island

Subway Shuttles

LIRR Shuttles

Miscellaneous

Queens

This is very informative. The scheme is completely different from those posted on the old Bus Talk from nycsubway.org. :tup:

Archived