LI Bus: Condition CRITICAL

PinePower

You might want to stop with the insults. Practice what you preach.---------------------------------------------

As for the main topic. Being the somewhat netural person in this discussion, I do kinda agree that LIB service is deteriorating to some extent. Since I moved to Queens in June and have been going to L.I at times, idk about you, but out of all the Roosevelt Field routes, the N22 and N24 routes seem to be getting the most service out of the rest because there were massive lines for the 15 and 79 last I went to Roosey Field, while the N6 from what I seen at Jamaica, bunches up terribly.

Granted that LIB will be transitioning from MTA to Veolia in the coming months, service has started to decline back in Late May or so (at least in my opinion) and it has steadily gotten worse. There have been some N22s or N24s that never showed up on the weekends and other buses that would show up 20+ minutes late.

Now I have to agree with Vintage Soul with the system-wide problems because unlike Long Island Bus, they arent short of buses aside from maintenance problems. Depots all around the five boroughs are short of buses because of the quick and somewhat unwarranted scrapping of other good performing buses. Also with the tons of breakdowns every day, shit happens between both fleets within LIB and MTA NYCT & MTA Bus, so its not just a LIB thing, its pretty much system-wide.

I dont know too much about Long Island Bus, but on the viewpoint that I seen within my recent visits to Roosevelt Field, with more 22 and 24 service over the other routes and seeing massive lines alongside with the ridiculous bunching of other routes, there is a problem. Coming back home from Roosevelt Field with my dad last week, I waited, in total, 45 minutes for a N22 OR N24 to show up during the PM rush, that alone speaks problems.But overall, there really is nothing that can be done to "improve" LIB service because the MTA pretty much made it clear that by the end of the year, they are on their own with Veolia. Some of us may be oblivious to the so-called "improvements' that could be done, but lets face it, once Veolia takes over, its just going to get much worse.

That was TML's saying but yeah I will do that. I actually have to agree with you I did notice bunching on N22 when I came off the subway but I didn't notice how bad it really was since I only waited like 10 mins. But guys like you or some others who live there might be able to shed more light on this. I am a bit oblivious to LIB's reliability problems hence why I don't comment on them. WOAH 45 min wait!!!!!! I never had those issues. I usually take LIRR then transfer to a bus depending on my destination. That's almost suffolk bad. How would veolia make it worse??? elaborate on that??? I am curious now. What would you do if you were veolia??

I usually plan my trips in advance and then on paper write a list of rtes I will have to take then if something goes wrong I switch my travel path

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I could do without "LIB is gone, let it turn into Dutchess transit" attitude some exhibit. Yes this is only an internet forum, its not like anyone here can stop LIB from going away 12/31 I know that.

As far as what I'd like the general public to do, I'd like to see them send letters to their reps asking for more details about the plan. I'd like them to realize the importance of bus service in Nassau County, instead of saying "it wont affect me so why I should I care?".

I'd like the media to report on things. Sure there hasn't been much news from Nassau, Veolia, or the MTA on the matter, but how come hardly any press attended the LI Bus hearings?

When I was at both public hearings it was great because I was around people that cared. But mainstream media and the general public seems to care less. At a recent public hearing one speaker brought up that very point. And he made the same points I made, about the bus service being important to the economy.

Sure there's things going on at LIB that can annoy me. But it's only because of the situation we are in now. If Nassau was paying the proper subsidy we wouldn't be dealing with the breakdowns and crowding issues on some routes.

But how can any contract carrier improve or adjust service when there's no money to do so?

Many that live in Nassau don't realize how important the bus is, and when it's gone, only then will they realize the role it played.

Calm down and get real IT WILL NEVER get dutchess bad even with service cuts!!!!!!! Dutchess is SO BAD it makes suffolk transit look like champions!!!!!! Dutchess doesn't have the buses to provide adequate service and they need help. They struggle badly. Many ppl know transit is awful and can't use it EVEN IF THEY WANTED TO!!!!!!!!!! The buses in dutchess EVEN WITH BAD SERVICE ARE STILL CRUSH LOADED!!!!!!!!!!!! Your jaw will drop when you see em. I know I have been there several times and eventually gave up on dutchess. Dutchess at least is trying to improve I have a PDF of proposed future service enhancements they want to make. But they lack vision and imagination they need to take a cue from SCT and seek help from other bus companies in the hudson valley area and they need to realize they can't do it alone!!!!!!!!!! Sheesh B35 is right yes the situation is bad but you are OVERBLOWING IT IT IS NOWHERE NEAR AS BAD AS DUTCHESS AND WILL NEVER GET THAT BAD EVER. Dutchess is rural mostly east of rte 9 corridor and 376 and north Nassau is suburban BUT NOT RURAL not even close it looks stright up urban when compared with dutchess

Well I could do without "LIB is gone, let it turn into Dutchess transit" attitude some exhibit. Yes this is only an internet forum, its not like anyone here can stop LIB from going away 12/31 I know that.

As far as what I'd like the general public to do, I'd like to see them send letters to their reps asking for more details about the plan. I'd like them to realize the importance of bus service in Nassau County, instead of saying "it wont affect me so why I should I care?".

Your focus should be on the folks that feel the way you do, not the people that exude the attitude of "LIB is gone, let it turn into Dutchess transit", "it wont affect me so why I should I care?".....

Continually & incessantly ranting & raving about the ppl. that don't care enough gets no one anywhere (including you).... If you claim "you know that", then you wouldn't be on forums & on YT habitually so outraged at the folks that could give two shits about LIB....

As sad as it is, as frustrating as it is.... Try as you might, but you're not gonna change the mentality of a mass amt. of ppl. that simply do not feel the way you do about the buses in Nassau county... Period...

.....but I'd be damned if you're gonna come on here & lump everyone into that "we don't care about LIB" nonsense..... and you can save your snooty ass comments about the city too.... I don't understand how you can continue to live in a county that has an abundance of wealthy ppl, and here you are envying the rich (deny it if you want) & complaining about public transportation at the same time.... Your priorities are all jacked up, and it shows in your vids & commentary.... This is why ppl. come at you the way they do....

Everyone else can come on the forums & post dealings about LIB that aren't as misery-laced & anger-filled as yours.... Why is that? I mean, it can't be that they don't care, b/c they wouldn't have made posts in the first place...

I'd like the media to report on things. Sure there hasn't been much news from Nassau, Veolia, or the MTA on the matter, but how come hardly any press attended the LI Bus hearings?

When I was at both public hearings it was great because I was around people that cared. But mainstream media and the general public seems to care less. At a recent public hearing one speaker brought up that very point. And he made the same points I made, about the bus service being important to the economy.

....and those are the people you should surround yourself with, and maintain a rapport with.... and spend your energy on....

.....and damn the media thing.... I mean hell man, the cuts we had in the city were plastered all over the tv last year... didn't stop them from happening now did it.... ppl. voiced out their concerns, but there are still less buses on the road in 2011... Some areas there's an obvious void (no it won't compare to what'd most likely happen in Nassau, but ppl. are still being forced to endure longer commutes all in the same) .... You place WAYYYYY too much emphasis on media coverage.... Try to accomplish something behind the scenes w/ like minded ppl, instead of these annoying ass rally cries in your vids......

Sure there's things going on at LIB that can annoy me. But it's only because of the situation we are in now. If Nassau was paying the proper subsidy we wouldn't be dealing with the breakdowns and crowding issues on some routes.

But how can any contract carrier improve or adjust service when there's no money to do so?

Many that live in Nassau don't realize how important the bus is, and when it's gone, only then will they realize the role it played.

I understand all that, but what are you gonna do Pinepower..... you can't force-feed your frustrations onto people & expect them to have a change of heart.....

You definitely have a legitimate concern & gripe.... and for the record, I'm not on that t'hell w/ LIB group think/bandwagon..... I don't trust Veolia as far as I can throw em.... They aren't there to improve service, they're there to make a profit, which is disgusting.... Can't honestly expect to run a bus system on 3 mil (or w/e the number is) & have it serve a whole (increasingly growing) county.....

We get it.

Calm down and get real IT WILL NEVER get dutchess bad even with service cuts!!!!!!! Dutchess is SO BAD it makes suffolk transit look like champions!!!!!! Dutchess doesn't have the buses to provide adequate service and they need help. They struggle badly. Many ppl know transit is awful and can't use it EVEN IF THEY WANTED TO!!!!!!!!!! The buses in dutchess EVEN WITH BAD SERVICE ARE STILL CRUSHLOADED!!

Your jaw will drop when you see em. I know I have been there several times and eventually gave up on dutchess. Dutchess at least is trying to improve I have a PDF of proposed future service enhancements they want to make. But they lack vision and imagination they need to take a cue from SCT and seek help from other bus companies in the hudson valley area and they need to realize they can't do it alone!!!!!!!!!!

Sheesh B35 is right yes the situation is bad but you are OVERBLOWING IT. IT IS NOWHERE NEAR AS BAD AS DUTCHESS AND WILL NEVER GET THAT BAD EVER. Dutchess is rural mostly east of rte 9 corridor and 376 and north Nassau is suburban BUT NOT RURAL not even close it looks stright up urban when compared with dutchess

Good comment (part in bold)

Put it to him this way....

If veolia runs the bus system out there like service is ran out in Dutchess county, I'll start getting up in arms about Nassau county bus service... and I live in Brooklyn.....

Book it.

Few days ago in last month, I took N58 short trip and full trip and both were almost empty.

N58 made difficult U-turn at end of Kings Point Ferry Rd, so he had to back up little to turn around.

I even took N57, which went clockwise, and it was half full.

When I was Freeport, waiting for bus, just in case, if Nassau County elimate N88, I ask taxi driver and it cost about $20 just to get beach.

Similar, I had same situation on Bee-Line buses.

Most Bee-Line bus operators also leaves 2 minutes earlier as well.

W20/W21 is biggest issue on Central Av and buses often late.

I boarded 10:55 W20 White Plains via Cross County which departed Bedford Park Blvd 2 minutes earlier at 10:53, got held up at Woodlawn, because passenger refused to move to rear of bus. It was three times over crowded of N20, N6, N88 bus combined together.

It was suppose to be at Cross County @ 11:24, show up at 11:30.

While I was waiting for 12:00pm BxM4C express bus there, 11:20 Bedford Park Blvd via Cross County suppose to arrived there at 11:57, and it came very lat at 12:12.

Last BxM4C out of12:20 came 8 minutes late.

Few days ago in last month, I took N58 short trip and full trip and both were almost empty.

N58 made difficult U-turn at end of Kings Point Ferry Rd, so he had to back up little to turn around.

I even took N57, which went clockwise, and it was half full.

When I was Freeport, waiting for bus, just in case, if Nassau County elimate N88, I ask taxi driver and it cost about $20 just to get beach.

I boarded 10:55 W20 White Plains via Cross County which departed Bedford Park Blvd 2 minutes earlier at 10:53, got held up at Woodlawn, because passenger refused to move to rear of bus. It was three times over crowded of N20, N6, N88 bus combined together.

While I was waiting for 12:00pm BxM4C express bus there, 11:20 Bedford Park Blvd via Cross County suppose to arrived there at 11:57, and it came very lat at 12:12.

You know it's that stretch between Cross County and Woodlawn that crushloads the BL-20

My problem with this guy (and his M.O.) is that he wants folks to bend over backwards, stop what we're doing (in life) to "fight the good fight" just like he is, just like he has the time to do.... Yes, it aint about no one givin a damn about LIB, as you & many others have said.....

When someone sits there & makes spiteful comments regarding the service that we have in the city, just so that we can somehow "feel his pain" to what he has to deal w/ in Nassau.... because he feels people (meaning, the general public) aren't doing "enough"....

Yeah, well he certainly gets no sympathy from me. I mean we as Staten Islanders have the longest commutes in the nation, along with the highest tolls and we get no sympathy because we're "over there", even though we're part of NYC. Truth be told, many Staten Islanders quite frankly are pissed that the Verrazano has been used for years to subsidize Long Island's transportation system at our expense, and meanwhile we have a population that has been booming over the last ten years and then some and need improved transportation across the board.

For those who say that it's the (MTA)'s money, I and my fellow Staten Islanders say NO, it is our hard earned tax dollars being sucked dry by the Verrazano bridge to supplement Long Island, which isn't even part of NYC. :mad: :tdown: That bridge was supposed to have been paid for years ago and instead the tolls keep skyrocketing on it. :tdown:

Let Nassau County use its own money to pay for their transportation and if that isn't good enough then what can you do? Long Island has some of the highest taxes in the country and you cannot expect folks to keep paying for things when they're already paying enough as it is. I don't care what anyone says. If you're living that far out in the suburbs then you should have a damn car. Staten Island is suburban to a degree, but it is still part of New York City and many parts of it are still walkable, certainly moreso than parts of Long Island. Aside from that, I read somewhere that Long Island is finally giving in and building condos and apartments right near the LIRR so that folks who just live on Long Island but like to hang out on the weekends and have to commute into the city during the week can just walk right to the LIRR and not have to worry about a car. If you still want to live on Long Island and not drive, that seems like a good solution IMO.

Yeah, well he certainly gets no sympathy from me. I mean we as Staten Islanders have the longest commutes in the nation, along with the highest tolls and we get no sympathy because we're "over there", even though we're part of NYC. Truth be told, many Staten Islanders quite frankly are pissed that the Verrazano has been used for years to subsidize Long Island's transportation system at our expense, and meanwhile we have a population that has been booming over the last ten years and then some and need improved transportation across the board.

For those who say that it's the 's money, I and my fellow Staten Islanders say NO, it is our hard earned tax dollars being sucked dry by the Verrazano bridge to supplement Long Island, which isn't even part of NYC. That bridge was supposed to have been paid for years ago and instead the tolls keep skyrocketing on it.....

whoa whoa whoa.... what is all this????

Look, I'm not gonna make this a pissing contest b/w SI & Nassau as to who has it worse....

Take that up w/ him (pinepower) if that's the avenue you want to go down....

whoa whoa whoa.... what is all this????

Look, I'm not gonna make this a pissing contest b/w SI & Nassau as to who has it worse....

Take that up w/ him (pinepower) if that's the avenue you want to go down....

There's no pissing contest. I'm just saying... He brought Staten Island into the convo not me.

I agree, Staten Island and Nassau County aren't the same, Staten Island is comparable to eastern Queens, not Nassau which is much more spread out and suburban than Staten Island is. And unlike Nassau County, Richmond County (Staten Island) is part of New York City so therefore they are entitled to be within the NYC Transit bus system.

There's no pissing contest. I'm just saying... He brought Staten Island into the convo not me.

Then why direct any of that - at me.

I'm not even disagreeing with what you said there...

But you were on that "yeah well" tip, as if I'm makin some type of case for him or somethin.... I'm sittin there reading that reply & I'm like, why is this guy comin at me on some 'SI got hardships too' tip....

....And unlike Nassau County, Richmond County (Staten Island) is part of New York City so therefore they are entitled to be within the NYC Transit bus system.

QFE....

Then why direct any of that - at me.

I'm not even disagreeing with what you said there...

But you were on that "yeah well" tip, as if I'm makin some type of case for him or somethin.... I'm sittin there reading that reply & I'm like, why is this guy comin at me on some 'SI got hardships too' tip....

LOL... I only quoted you because I agreed with what you said. I wasn't railing on you or arguing with you in the slightest...

and plus dont even think about foaming about Nassau county becoming part of NEw York City, the REASON Nassau county exsists, originally it was all Queens County but the 3 easternmost towns did not want to incorporate into New York City and thus became Nassau County, named after the house of Nassau, a dutch line of aristocracy.

LOL... I only quoted you because I agreed with what you said. I wasn't railing on you or arguing with you in the slightest...

Ah, aight... I get you now...

It initially read to me as, 'yeh nassau's got it bad, but SI has it worse.... and here you are talkin about this guy's feelins about LIB & nassau county'; as if to say the spotlight should be on SI.... the whole thing just came out of left field.....

my fault for jumpin the gun......

and plus dont even think about foaming about Nassau county becoming part of NEw York City, the REASON Nassau county exsists, originally it was all Queens County but the 3 easternmost towns did not want to incorporate into New York City and thus became Nassau County, named after the house of Nassau, a dutch line of aristocracy.

Yeah, I'm not on that Nassau becoming the 6th borough bandwagon.....

- exactly what I'm talking about w/ the price gouging.... damn, almost 20 bucks from freeport to jones beach...

- Why do you think they run artics on the BL-20.....

Q43LTD is right, buses get crushloaded b/w the Bronx & Cross County.... on a NB bus, it's not uncommon to see half the ppl. (on packed artic's, mind you) disembark at x-county itself.....

buses leaving early on high(er) headway routes don't bother me....

- You still take the BxMc4.... more power to you...

How many ppl. would you say were on the bus when you rode it?

Ah, aight... I get you now...

It initially read to me as, 'yeh nassau's got it bad, but SI has it worse.... and here you are talkin about this guy's feelins about LIB & nassau county'; as if to say the spotlight should be on SI.... the whole thing just came out of left field.....

my fault for jumpin the gun......

Yeah, I'm not on that Nassau becoming the 6th borough bandwagon.....

- exactly what I'm talking about w/ the price gouging.... damn, almost 20 bucks from freeport to jones beach...

- Why do you think they run artics on the BL-20.....

Q43LTD is right, buses get crushloaded b/w the Bronx & Cross County.... on a NB bus, it's not uncommon to see half the ppl. (on packed artic's, mind you) disembark at x-county itself.....

buses leaving early on high(er) headway routes don't bother me....

- You still take the BxMc4.... more power to you...

How many ppl. would you say were on the bus when you rode it?

I only took once yesterday.

It was about seven people, mostly seniors and disabled.

One lady still thought bus was $5.50!!

After that lady sitting next to me on disable seating, she told that passenger was talking about BxM4C and senior citizens and disabled along Rte. 100 don`t want to move and they were not happy they cut weekend service.

I was on last 12pm Bus out from Harding Av.

It even had GPS and when bus enter Manhattan, it said, APPROACHING 5TH AV/98TH ST, 5th Av/85th St.

I even told lady who thought it was $5.50 to take Fall Bee-Line bus change and I handed out to her.

When I told her NYCDOT didn`t remove the BxM4C bus stop in Wall St area, that $5.50 thought lady was at Wall St on Tuesday.

So now some random nobody on youtube spammed up my page, my opinion still stands. I dont care about LIB, I dont use it, I dont care how many new routes they will come up with, I have no intention of using it, and I feel a system where they took the top 5 or 6 routes and ran em like in Dutchess or Rockland would be an ideal system with the 4 million dollars they have budgeted for it. If me having an opinion is that offensive to some people out there they feel they have to ramble on for 13 minutes about it or spam my youtube page, thats their problem.

This is going to be a long post, so hold on everyone...

Plus better roads actually improve bus service as the buses get less beat up and less likely to breakdown due to better roads. Plus dutchess DOES NOT NEED TRAIN SHUTTLES. I have been to dutchess their beacon shuttle is laughable and should be combined with the B bus the shuttles there are a waste of extra vehicles that can be used elsewhere. Try using LIB more then you will see that what you said is arrogant. I would consolidate the LIB rtes so they are more efficient and better represent travel patterns of ppl. and integrate with LIRR. WHAT KIND OF BUS RUNS HOURLY AT RUSH HOUR!!!!!!

Well, in some ways, better roads can take away ridership in the sense that it makes it easier to drive. Somebody doesn't have to worry about the increased maintainance costs of hitting all the potholes and whatnot.

As far as the infrequent service, I just can't see people using the service even if it ran more frequently. If somebody has a car, they're likely to use it to reach the station. Now, if you took away a lot of the parking like they did in Great Neck, maybe it would be a different story. (I was actually surprised at the ridership of the N57/N58, considering the demographics of the area they serve)

1) I can't name one area in the boroughs that's overserved, where residents aren't even takin the damned things....

2) Bee Line is like a grossly enhanced version of SCT... Bee Line is, what LIB should be.... Even w/o the intra-county routes, Bee Line would still do well.... Funny thing about that is, there are more snobs in Westchester than there are in Nassau or Suffolk.....

1) How about Country Club? :( Then again, you did say that you were against them because of their constant complaints.

2) Elaborate on how the intra-county routes make Bee Line better (aside from the obvious of serving more people)

1) Theres a reason its set up the way it is, just because the 20 now runs down to massapequa like the 80 does now doesn't mean there's instantly going to be people on the 20 down there, people just don't need the bus in those areas.

2) about hte Great Neck routes, the 57 is a strange route going through mostly residential areas, the Village of Great Neck could easily operate something similar for the 57 and 58 if those routes were eliminated and last I checked they were on the chopping block as per the MTA's original route cutting plans which I am guessing Veolia is going to do something similar. IMO if Great NEck would increase the size of their commuter lot, possibly build it into a parking garage like Gussack Plaza on the other side of Middle Neck Road, they wouldn't need those routes.

3) Its not being cheap, its being smart. If most of the public isn't using it, why should they pay a premium when Nassau's finances are already tight. They can put the money into something that people use, like the parks and the roads, instead of a bus system that 10% of Nassau County actually uses.

4) Suffolk County has more people and more businesses so they have more money to spend on buses.

1) The N20 ends at Hicksville, not Massapequa.

2) I don't see how it would be cheaper to run the N57/N58 by Great Neck instead of Nassau County. Unless you just want to shift the burden to the people who benefit more from it.

3) True. I mean, it's not like they're getting rid of all of the service.

4) Suffolk actually has close to the same population as Nassau, but it's more spread out.

N1 merging with N36 means ppl along N36 have a practical way to reach N32/31 and the mall. Plus requires less resources which can interline with N4 or N40/41. N50 placing the line where the ppl are going making it a cousin of the N49 in a sense but like a crosstown feel. N51, 27 merger means less resources for both lines but N51 becomes practical. But PPL using N27 to hempstead will have to use N16 or N35 or N24 o well. Most ppl get off at roosevelt field anyway. N46 is blatently ignoring travel demands and goes where most DO NOT. The N46's route is what is hurting ridership

The N36 already connects to the N31/N32. Also, the N24 doesn't serve Hempstead.

There is no need for bus service in that area of Northern Blvd! Youre going to put buses through Brookville, East Norwich, and Oyster Bay Cove, places with 5-20 million dollar homes! Noone is going to ride that bus up there, and to connect it with Huntington is already a waste. There isnt even that much automobile traffic going from Huntington to Greenvale, Roslyn and points west on NY Route 25A (Northern Blvd).

I think East Norwich is a little bit more middle class than the other 2, and a little bit more dense, so there may be a few people here and there who take it, but ridership in that area would be like the ridership of other Eastern Nassau routes.

And Pinepower does make a point in that there could be workers such as maids and housekeepers who could use buses to go to work. In any case, it would probably be a (less crowded) version of the N20, as it also goes through some affluent areas.

But I agree that it probably won't be too successful. The stretch between Great Neck and Roslyn Heights (the only areas where the buses would see decent ridership) is just too great. The only thing that should go to that area is some sort of connection from Syosset to Oyster Bay (like Amtrak's idea we discussed a while back)

true I would use local train to new hyde park and use N25 if the line breaks down. There are so many options. If you need ronkomkoma and that f**ks over take montauk train to patchouge and use S7A or sayville and use S57 or S59 or LIRR to smithtown use S58/S57/59 you have too many crosstown rtes so the LIRR is no problem at all. When LIRR patchouge broke down the S40 turned into a slaveship on wheels with faces against the glass.

C'mon, man. You know him by now. The only time he'll take a local bus is if he knows the schedule and one happens to be coming soon.

I'm using his comments as an example of what's wrong in this county. Of course there are those that take it too far. But dont you think I have a right to be angry?

How about I propose splitting SI off from the city and privatizing it's bus system? We can create SI Transit, $4 fares, no metrocards and half hourly service at best. Since Staten Is. is also suburban everybody drives, right?

So we can get rid of half the bus routes on SI and have the 44 and the 59 run hourly all times...after all its suburban everyone drives, aint that right?:confused:

We can also privatize the Q46 as well since it goes through mostly suburban areas of Queens, no need to have many buses there, once an hour should be enough. After 7pm you can get a cab...

Uh, how about no?

And that would be a double standard. You're saying that there are a bunch of routes in Nassau County that are crowded, but that video barely shows a seated load. I'm one of the first people to complain about excess service, but if we go by your standard, practically every route on SI (except maybe the S54/S55/S56) is crowded.

How would I get to work with hardly any bus service? Its not so much a jealousy thing, more of a double standard thing. Many of you are gung ho to slash bus service in Nassau County, but would be very upset if this was done in suburban areas of NYC. That's a DOUBLE STANDARD.

And then there a bus driver who has no problems seeing his brothers at LIB get jacked up when Veolia takes over...

TWU 100, ATU, TWU 252, why is it such a big deal to support eachother?

Yeah, except that NYC is actually paying its fair share to the MTA (or at least more of a fair share than Nassau County).

I don't think anybody here really wants to cut service out in Nassau, but we're resigned to the inevitable.

Joel, I know I've gotten into scuffles before with you and others over Long Island Bus in previous threads, and I respect the fact that you never resorted to name calling and general mudslinging like he has. I've been in my fair share of debates here over various topics, and never once have I resorted to name calling and personal attacks on a level that he has displayed here.

Well, the whole point of these forums is to have an exchange of ideas and opinions. Everybody has a right to disagree on a topic, as long as the discussion is respectful.

err you know nothing about veolia DO NOT PREJUDGE. LIB service is too broken to the point of gaining a stigma although not impossible it is hard to shake off that stigma but a miracle will have to happen. Rockland is like nassau but with more bus coverage and so many options I wonder why ppl drive with some broken exceptions.

Well, as was mentioned plenty of times, there is a natural stigma to "the bus" out in the suburbs. I mean, people generally don't move out there and expect to have reasonable public transportation.

I remember a while back, Amtrak tried to spread the word about the bus cuts, and he got responses like "We have buses out here?" and "Who cares".

As far as Rockland County goes, thinking of both maps off the top of my head, I think Nassau has better coverage, but I'll have to look at the maps to verify that.

I think you are getting the wrong idea here. It's not that nobody cares about LIB. Nobody can do ANYTHING about it, and LIB has all but sucked the life out of NYC's bus system. All that money MTA shelled out to support LIB should have never left the city.

The MTA couldn't even get them to pay their fair share, yet you want something to be done about the routes and service right now. It's good that you are adamant about LI service, but nothing is going to be done until 2012. So it's almost a waste of time because you are stressing yourself out about something you don't have the power to change.

Exactly.

Well, I agree that the Dutchess County comment was ignorant, but you went way overboard in responding to that comment. Maybe lilbluefoxie spends all his time in Merrick, Wantagh, and Bethpage and that's where the opinion comes from.

Let Nassau County use its own money to pay for their transportation and if that isn't good enough then what can you do? Long Island has some of the highest taxes in the country and you cannot expect folks to keep paying for things when they're already paying enough as it is. I don't care what anyone says. If you're living that far out in the suburbs then you should have a damn car. Staten Island is suburban to a degree, but it is still part of New York City and many parts of it are still walkable, certainly moreso than parts of Long Island. Aside from that, I read somewhere that Long Island is finally giving in and building condos and apartments right near the LIRR so that folks who just live on Long Island but like to hang out on the weekends and have to commute into the city during the week can just walk right to the LIRR and not have to worry about a car. If you still want to live on Long Island and not drive, that seems like a good solution IMO.

Well, I'm sure there's waste out there and if they could trim that waste, maybe they'd be able to pay the same taxes and still get good bus service.

As far as being suburban, you have to consider that most of the areas on LI that have bus service are walkable to a degree. I mean, from a cost perspective, the average LIB route is only slightly more expensive than the average SI route (except that the coverage isn't as good in Nassau).

If Nassau County paid its fair share like SI, we wouldn't be having this discussion. The idea of bus service out there isn't as crazy as you're making it out to be.

As far as the condos go, the LIRR is useful for going to Manhattan, but intra-Nassau trips are often easier by bus. Then again, the routes near those condos generally have decent ridership, so cuts shouldn't be as large of a problem.

All the transfer points are so awkwardly spread out here. I'm glad routes connect to how many routes they do, but some of them are just awful, like the N6 from Hempstead to New Hyde Park Road for the N25. That's a three mile ride out; I just use the 31/32 to catch the N25 from the south to avoid the timing issues buses have coming from Great Neck.

I rode the Q27 in July and all the major transfer points just felt a lot closer, even with my unfamiliarity of Queens.

And as for me not resorting to name calling, I've learned to just back out of interweb arguments or keep a level head if I see some sort of opinion that just throws me off. I had a really long day yesterday and this one was even longer; I don't believe in that "if you ahve nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all" crap. If I have a problem, you're damn right going to hear it from me...

I've just learned to keep a level head if I hear an opinion that doesn't sit well with me... the effort people put into name-calling, on the Internet, is just confounding. I used to do it all the time as a teenager on other forums, but I realized that it wasn't worth it and stopped. Those reaction images are just what they are; reactions. The text might be funny, but it's not like I'm posting shock images or racist stuff or anything...

Sad is what the situation is. The way I see it, the only time Nassau paid up for MSBA/LIB was the '70s, and it wasn't all too glorious back in the day - they still tried. We haven't had any particularly (MTA) friendly politicians in decades, either, so the entire system is under stress. LIB is just unique in that no one outside of who actually uses it, from bus operators to passengers, wants it. Look at the city - even with all the problems, from union issues to declining ridership, people are still riding them en masse, they're still viewed as viable means of transportation by millions, and city officials at least pay up. It's going to take some extreme measure to get Nassau to start paying for LIB.

1) How about Country Club? Then again, you did say that you were against them because of their constant complaints.

2) Elaborate on how the intra-county routes make Bee Line better (aside from the obvious of serving more people)

1) Oh I can't stand those ppl's guts.... but you're not gonna find any one community w/i Nassau that'll fight for service like CC riders do..... The Bx24 running every 30 mins is VERY different than the N73 (or 74) running at 30 min headways.... Yeah the "number" is the same, but the avg. amt. of ppl. using (or wanting to use) the things is quite different....

In other words, N73/74 on hourly headways is justified, Bx24 on hourly headways isn't....

at least IMO anyway.....

2) - RR commuter routes; designed to bring ppl. from specific residential areas (that don't warrant midday service at all) to a certain/nearby RR station....

(This is where nassau fails miserably... hell, they even got these types of routes over in Metropark [NJ])

- "LOOP" routes; designed to bring ppl. from commercial/corporate areas, to MNRR White Plains (and the transcenter)....

(Nassau Hub/Mineola area should have these.... instead, they have their fixed routes "filling in the gaps", so to speak.... just take a look at the Nassau Hub inset to see what I mean....

the old N93 (which was a poor attempt at a loop type of route) was one big FAIL b/c it never served a RR station...)

- Bee line's east-west routes (in lwr. westchester)... self explanatory; the denser parts of the county benefits from having fixed routes traveling in that direction..... you'll be hard pressed to find an east-west route, the more north you go (excluding white plains/tarrytown rd. obviously)..... Point being, bee line curtails service where (and as many of) its riders are using the things.....

My main gripe w/ nassau county's bus system overall is how it's laid out.... remember we were talkin about solutions in one of those SI bus threads to make service better out there (think I brought up 4 solutions IIRC)... and I said restructuring the entire network isn't the primary option for SI....

Well for Nassau county, I say it is.... It's just too urbanized for its own good (even if Nassau's becoming a little more urban).... too many ppl. rely on the LIRR out there for bus ridership to flourish anymore than it currently does.... I'm sorry, but I gotta question the amt. of midday ridership Nassau has, especially regarding the intracounty routes...

1) Oh I can't stand those ppl's guts.... but you're not gonna find any one community w/i Nassau that'll fight for service like CC riders do..... The Bx24 running every 30 mins is VERY different than the N73 (or 74) running at 30 min headways.... Yeah the "number" is the same, but the avg. amt. of ppl. using (or wanting to use) the things is quite different....

In other words, N73/74 on hourly headways is justified, Bx24 on hourly headways isn't....

at least IMO anyway.....

2) - RR commuter routes; designed to bring ppl. from specific residential areas (that don't warrant midday service at all) to a certain/nearby RR station....

(This is where nassau fails miserably... hell, they even got these types of routes over in Metropark [NJ])

- "LOOP" routes; designed to bring ppl. from commercial/corporate areas, to MNRR White Plains (and the transcenter)....

(Nassau Hub/Mineola area should have these.... instead, they have their fixed routes "filling in the gaps", so to speak.... just take a look at the Nassau Hub inset to see what I mean....

the old N93 (which was a poor attempt at a loop type of route) was one big FAIL b/c it never served a RR station...)

- Bee line's east-west routes (in lwr. westchester)... self explanatory; the denser parts of the county benefits from having fixed routes traveling in that direction..... you'll be hard pressed to find an east-west route, the more north you go (excluding white plains/tarrytown rd. obviously)..... Point being, bee line curtails service where (and as many of) its riders are using the things.....

1) Alright.

2) Well, there are the N14, N57, and N58 (of which the N58 is the only one with midday service), but you have a point there. But I still don't see a real problem in that. As you know, I think it's better to have a community served by a route that brings them to more destinations than just the neighborhood railroad (or in the case of NYC, subway) station. But I guess as the saying goes "Different strokes for different folks".

I remember we had a discussion about how the N93 could've been made more useful. Which station did you say it was better to extend it to: Mineola or Hempstead?

And I don't see what you're saying about Bee-Line curtailing service where it's being used. Isn't that a bad thing? Or are you saying that they don't provide service where it isn't needed (say, the N73/N74 wouldn't exist)

The N93 used a route served by five different buses, all of which ran much more often than just one bus an hour (N16, N24 for Social Service, N70/71/72 on Hempstead Turnpike and the Coliseum) and went nowhere. If you had to get to the LIRR from the mall, you had plenty of options - the N15, 16s to Baldwin, N22, 24, 35, 43, 45, 51 and just about the rest all terminated at or stopped by LIRR stations. I can vouch for the 43 and 51 because they actually connect with trains, or at least get there and still have time for you to buy tickets and whatever you need.

Archived