Subway - What If?

VWM

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NEXT: Emergency track replacement is occurring on CPW at 81st Street lower level, reroute trains, chop-chop.

I've got a crazy solution to this, which some people would consider foamerish. But, I just don't feel like doing the usual "split the (A)(B)(C)(D) into two sections" thing. So, here we go:

(A)(C) downtown trains run via the uptown express track from 125 St to 34 St; uptown (A) trains run local from Canal St to 125 St

(B)(D) Bronx - 145 St

(B)(D) Brooklyn - 42 St-Bryant Park

I've got a crazy solution to this, which some people would consider foamerish. But, I just don't feel like doing the usual "split the (A)(B)(C)(D) into two sections" thing. So, here we go:

(A)(C) downtown trains run via the uptown express track from 125 St to 34 St; uptown (A) trains run local from Canal St to 125 St

(B)(D) Bronx - 145 St

(B)(D) Brooklyn - 42 St-Bryant Park

Exactly what I was lookling for!

Queensboro Plaza is in, Queens, 23rd Street is impassible, how do you get a train from Whitehall to Queens via Broadway? You can terminate trains at Lawrence Street in Brooklyn.

You can turn trains using all three tracks at Whitehall, or relay at Canal.

More futuristic scenarios:

Year: 2019

4th Avenue is as follows:

(N): Coney Island-Astoria, Broadway/Sea Beach Express via Bridge

(R): 71st Street-Bay Ridge, Broadway/4th Avenue Local via Tunnel

(W): Kings Highway-Astoria, Broadway/Sea Beach Local via Tunnel

(D): Coney Island-205th Street, 6th Avenue/West End Express via Bridge

The (W) is 8 TPH.

The interchanges at 36th Street and 59th Street are closed. Reroute trains.

(D) No service b/w 9 Avenue & 36 Street.

(N) Two sections:

Queens <> 95 Street.

8 Avenue <> Coney Island.

(W) No service b/w Whitehall Street & Brooklyn.

Edited by TrainFanInfinity

NEXT

Terrorist attacks occur at the WTC in 2001. Was what the (MTA) did acceptable? How would you reroute the trains?

(A)(C) Via Rutgers Street.

(E) To Lower East Side-2 Avenue.

(R) Via Bridge.

(V) Suspended, to make room for (A)(C)(E). Trains layup at Jamaica-179 Street or Culver Express tracks.

(1) No service b/w Times Square-42 Street & South Ferry.

(2)(3) Runs local.

Extreme emergencies call for emergency reroutes.

I love the What-If thread, so I am gonna make another problem.

Year: 2020

Bowling Green station will be closed for retrofitting it with full-height platform screen doors and installing escalators to the platforms.

Reroute the (4)(5)(6)<6> .

Note: Bowling Green in my scenario is now a hub for the Lexington Avenue Line trains.

(4)(5) No service b/w Fulton Street & Borough Hall.

(6)<6> No service b/w Brooklyn Bridge & Bowling Green.

Sheesh, everybody's imaginations are getting wild. I mean, past scenarios are fine, but scenarios with lines that are fantasy/probably never going to happen are just ridiculous.

NEXT

Because of a major structural collapse, the Broadway Line is impassable at 23 St. This service change will last one year, so all lines must have the same tph to Manhattan as before.

(N) No service b/w 34 Street-Herald Square & Whitehall Street. Select trains terminate at Court Street.

(Q) No service b/w Whitehall Street & Queens. Select trains terminate at Court Street.

(R) Via Bridge - 6th Avenue Local - 63 Street.

NEXT: High St blows up. This is a long-term service change, so you should feel free to adjust the TPH of lines. One rule: you can't split the (A) into two sections.

(A)(C) Via Rutgers Street Tunnel. (A) = 12 TPH (C) = 6 TPH

(M) Select trains terminate at Chambers Street.

How do you terminate 20tph on one track?

NEXT: Emergency track replacement is occurring on CPW at 81st Street lower level, reroute trains, chop-chop.

(A)(B)(C)(D) No service b/w 59 Street & 125 Street.

If they did it on the (1)(2)(3), I'll bet they could do it on the (A)(B)(C)(D) too.

----------Realistic-------------

(A)(D) No service b/w 59 Street & 125 Street, via local.

(B) No service b/w 57 Street/6 Avenue & The Bronx.

(C) No service b/w 34 Street-Penn Station & 168 Street, via 8 Av Express.

NOPE.

Not only have you made things too complicated, but you've completely overloaded the 6 Avenue Local tracks...And besides, I don't think there are even enough trains to extend the (J)(Z) to 168 St. A much better choice (even though this would also overload the 6 Avenue Local tracks) would be to just run the (C) along with the (A) via the (F) line.

Keep in mind that suddenly implementing skip-stop when people don't expect it is going to lead a lot of people to miss their stops. Sure, you can tell people to listen to the announcements, but a lot of people won't because they think they know how their train is running.

My plan calls for the (J) to replace the (C)on 8th Avenue at all times, since Essex is not really a suitable terminal nor is anywhere else before 168th, especially for a long-term detour such as this. For this, all available R32s and 42s could be transferred to the (J) while the (C) gets other cars from other lines for a Chambers-Euclid run (and remember, you would need fewer (C) trains because of the shorter route there). When such service interruption is over, such cars borrowed from the (C) for an extended (J) service can run to 168th and then simply go back to being in (C) service.

The reverse-peak skip-stop in Brooklyn and Queens can be dropped, I only stuck it in there because of the extended route of the (J) in this case.

My plan calls for the (J) to replace the (C)on 8th Avenue at all times, since Essex is not really a suitable terminal nor is anywhere else before 168th, especially for a long-term detour such as this. For this, all available R32s and 42s could be transferred to the (J) while the (C) gets other cars from other lines for a Chambers-Euclid run (and remember, you would need fewer (C) trains because of the shorter route there). When such service interruption is over, such cars borrowed from the (C) for an extended (J) service can run to 168th and then simply go back to being in (C) service.

The reverse-peak skip-stop in Brooklyn and Queens can be dropped, I only stuck it in there because of the extended route of the (J) in this case.

No. Just stop it.

Wait, what's wrong with Essex? And remember, like I said, you went over 30 TPH.

Franklin Avenue on the (2)(3)(4)(5) is impassable. Reroute trains accordingly.

(2) trains run in two sections, 241st Street to Eastern Parkway and President Street to Flatbush Avenue.

(3) trains run from Harlem-148 to Rector Street running through the loop.

(3) shuttle trains run from New Lots Avenue to Rockaway Avenue (New Lots-bound track), Rockaway Avenue to Utica Avenue (Manhattan-bound track) and Utica Avenue to Nostrand Avenue.

(4) trains run from Atlantic Avenue to Woodlawn.

(5) trains have no service from Bowling Green to Flatbush Avenue.

Shuttle buses run from President Street to Eastern Parkway and Nostrand Avenue to Atlantic Avenue.

Edited by Quill Depot

Wait, what's wrong with Essex? And remember, like I said, you went over 30 TPH.

I've mentioned Essex as a terminal before (here and elsewhere) and I've gotten mentions about how that station is no longer suited to be a terminal.

While in my scenario I do have four lines between Broadway-Lafayette and West 4th, do keep in mind I only have half of the (A) line (Lefferts branch) running through there, while the (J) I have going through there to replace the (C) Obviously, delays would be expected, especially when you have to work around TWO problems at once

What it really shows is what happens when you have a double whammy like this scenario happens and you try to keep as much service overall as possible.

I'm going to make another one, just a simple problem.

Due to a water main break, Times Square - 42nd St is impassable. This is a big emergency, reroute the 1/2/3/7/7/N/Q/R/S

A big-time problem for sure, and it affects a LOT of lines.

For this purpose, I'll assume 6th and 8th Avenues are still functional:

(1) in two sections:

242nd Street-96th Street

14th Street-South Ferry (uptown trains terminate at 18th Street)

(2) in two sections:

241st Street-96th Street

14th Street-Flatbush Avenue

(3) operates 148th Street-96th Street ONLY

(4) local in Brooklyn after Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center and extended to New Lots Avenue

(7) and <7> begin and end at Grand Central

Times Square (S) suspended

Please use 6th and 8th Avenue lines if possible for service to upper Manhattan

(G) extended to 71st-Continental

(M) reduced to a shuttle between Metropolitan Avenue and Myrtle Avenue

(N) runs in two sections:

Coney Island-Canal Street via Montauge Tunnel

57th Street-Ditmars Boulevard (some (N) service if possible begins at 49th Street)

(Q) suspended

(R) runs as follows on an alternating basis:

Using regular equipment via the Bridge after DeKalb Avenue, then via 6th Avenue and 63rd Street until 36th Street, Queens, then via regular route.

Using equipment normally used on the (M) line, operates regular route to Court Street, then goes through the Montauge Street Tunnel and via the (J) from Broad-Essex Street, then uses reverse route from the Williamsburg bridge stopping at Essex a second time before operating via the (M) to West 4th and via 6th Avenue as noted above.

Edited by Wallyhorse

I've mentioned Essex as a terminal before (here and elsewhere) and I've gotten mentions about how that station is no longer suited to be a terminal.

While in my scenario I do have four lines between Broadway-Lafayette and West 4th, do keep in mind I only have half of the (A) line (Lefferts branch) running through there, while the (J) I have going through there to replace the (C) Obviously, delays would be expected, especially when you have to work around TWO problems at once

What it really shows is what happens when you have a double whammy like this scenario happens and you try to keep as much service overall as possible.

A big-time problem for sure, and it affects a LOT of lines.

For this purpose, I'll assume 6th and 8th Avenues are still functional:

(1) in two sections:

242nd Street-96th Street

14th Street-South Ferry (uptown trains terminate at 18th Street)

(2) in two sections:

241st Street-96th Street

14th Street-Flatbush Avenue

(3) operates 148th Street-96th Street ONLY

(4) local in Brooklyn after Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center and extended to New Lots Avenue

(7) and <7> begin and end at Grand Central

Times Square (S) suspended

Please use 6th and 8th Avenue lines if possible for service to upper Manhattan

(G) extended to 71st-Continental

(M) reduced to a shuttle between Metropolitan Avenue and Myrtle Avenue

(N) runs in two sections:

Coney Island-Canal Street via Montauge Tunnel

57th Street-Ditmars Boulevard (some (N) service if possible begins at 49th Street)

(Q) suspended

(R) runs as follows on an alternating basis:

Using regular equipment via the Bridge after DeKalb Avenue, then via 6th Avenue and 63rd Street until 36th Street, Queens, then via regular route.

Using equipment normally used on the (M) line, operates regular route to Court Street, then goes through the Montauge Street Tunnel and via the (J) from Broad-Essex Street, then uses reverse route from the Williamsburg bridge stopping at Essex a second time before operating via the (M) to West 4th and via 6th Avenue as noted above.

If you suspend the (Q), what's going to replace it on the Brighton line

NEXT:

The Manhattan Bridge fails, and the lower level has a hole ripped apart in it, crippling (B)(D)(N)(Q) service. however, under the strangest of strange circumstances, the upper level survives and is passable by vehicles. Reroute the (B)(D)(N)(Q), and keep in mind vehicles can still travel on the upper level.

- (L) runs between Bedford Av and Canarsie

- A single track shuttle runs between 1st Avenue and Bedford Av.

- Increased M14 service

(L) terminates at 3rd Avenue and shuttle buses run between 3rd and 8th Avenue. Please expect delays in the long-term.

Uh.... All lines going through 14th are affected as well...