Subway - What If?

VWM

Single-track (J) shuttles run as follows:

Broad Street to Canal Street

Canal Street to Essex Street

Regular (J) trains run via the (M) to West 4th and then (C) to 168th Street, using extra equipment (R32s) from and replacing the (C) in upper Manhattan for the duration of this.

(C) runs Chambers Street ((A) platform)-Euclid Avenue ONLY. For Spring Street from upper Manhattan, take (J) to West 4th and change for the (E) and the reverse from Spring Street.

You're just making a simple problem worse...why involve the (C) in it?

...why am I even asking in the first place

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Single-track (J) shuttles run as follows:

Broad Street to Canal Street

Canal Street to Essex Street

Regular (J) trains run via the (M) to West 4th and then (C) to 168th Street, using extra equipment (R32s) from and replacing the (C) in upper Manhattan for the duration of this.

(C) runs Chambers Street ( (A) platform)-Euclid Avenue ONLY. For Spring Street from upper Manhattan, take (J) to West 4th and change for the (E) and the reverse from Spring Street.

So you couldn't just run the (J) and (M) lines in only one section of their routes RATHER than spreading the problem to other lines...?!

Bigger!

Hurricane sandy has hit!

Lines impassible and stations impassible

Sea Beach N

West End D

Culver south of Church Avenue F (The G can still use Church Avenue to terminate)

Brighton south of Prospect Park, no trains can terminate at Prospect B,Q

Livonia Avenue, 3, 4 east of Nostrand Avenue.

Canarsie Line from ENY to Canarsie L

A east of Euclid Avenue

8th Avenue Line between 14th and 23rd Streets A, C, E

Montague Street tunnel R

South Ferry 1

WTC E

Edited by Quill Depot

Bigger!

Hurricane sandy has hit!

Sea Beach N

West End D

Culver south of Church Avenue F (The G can still use Church Avenue to terminate)

A east of Euclid Avenue

Montague Street tunnel R

South Ferry 1

WTC E

(D) terminates at 36 St or runs local via the (R) to Bay Ridge-95 St

(N)(Q) terminates at Canal St, 36 St or runs local via the (R) to Bay Ridge-95 St

(R) select trains terminate at Whitehall St or Canal St, other trains run via the Manhattan Bridge

(F) terminates at Church Av

(B) terminates at 2 Av or 36 St

I'm guessing that you might have meant Utica Av, not Nostrand Av for the (3)(4), in which case they can just terminate at Utica. If not, here's what I'd do:

(3) terminates at Franklin Av

(4)(5) some trains terminate at Bowling Green or Atlantic Av

(4)(5) some trains terminate at Flatbush Av

(E) terminates at 2 Av or 34 St

(1) terminates at Rector St

(A) terminates at Euclid Av

(L) terminates at Myrtle Av

With the 8 Av Line at 23 St and 14 St, I give up :lol:

With the 8 Av Line at 23 St and 14 St, I give up :lol:

(E) terminates at 2 Av or 34 St

Only alternative to flooding on 8th ave is to keep the 6th ave line running in Manhattan with trains diverted from West 4th onward to avoid flooded flooded stations. I think SS you got it on that particular and don't even realize it yet.

Edit: damn youre fast with the typing, you posted the next one already?

Edited by realizm

Only alternative to flooding on 8th ave is to keep the 6th ave line running in Manhattan with trains diverted from West 4th onward. I think SS you got it and don't even realize it yet.

The problem is that there isn't capacity for the (A), (C), (E), (B), (D), (F), and (M) running on the 6 Avenue Local tracks. I suppose that using 34 St-Penn Station to turn (C) and (E) trains, 34 St-Herald Sq to turn (B) and (D) trains would be a good proposal.

The problem is that there isn't capacity for the (A), (C), (E), (B), (D), (F), and (M) running on the 6 Avenue Local tracks. I suppose that using 34 St-Penn Station to turn (C) and (E) trains, 34 St-Herald Sq to turn (B) and (D) trains would be a good proposal.

Unless some of the services are suspended outright like the (M) then it could possibly work. Good points.

Edited by realizm

Bigger!

Hurricane sandy has hit!

Sea Beach N

West End D

A east of Euclid Avenue

Montague Street tunnel R

South Ferry 1

WTC E

(D)(N) to 95th St, (F)(G) terminating at Church Avenue, (Q) rerouted to Whitehall Street, (B) terminating at Second Avenue, (3) terminating at Franklin Avenue, (4) terminating at Bowling Green, (L) terminating at Myrtle Avenue, (A) rerouted via 6th Ave Local and terminating at Euclid, (C) via 6th Ave Local, (E) suspended between Lexington Avenue and WTC (R) in suspended between Court St and Whitehall Street, (1) terminating at Rector Street. Due to capacity issues mentioned in the thread, (F) trains run express between W4 and 47-50, (M) rerouted to Broad Street, (E) running local in Queens to balance out lost (M) trains.

NEXT

Due to fog conditions in Brooklyn, the Manhattan Bridge (B)(D)(N)(Q) and Marcy Av (J)(M)(Z) through Myrtle Av (J)(M)(Z) is impassible. (M) trains may go to Central Av, but no trains may use Myrtle Av as a stop or terminal. Same goes for Marcy Av.

(B) in two parts - Uptown/Bronx-2nd Ave and Coney Island-Prospect Park, (Q) via tunnel, (D) in two parts - Uptown/Bronx-2nd Ave and Coney Island-Whitehall St, (N) via tunnel.

(J)(Z) suspended between ENY and Broad Street, (M) terminating at 2nd Ave, no service to Metropolitan Ave, buses running between ENY and Broad Street and between Metropolitan Ave and 2nd Ave.

For the express track impassible one

(A) trains run via local

Every other (E) train to 2nd Avenue via 6th Avenue

The fog one

(B) trains run from W4 to 145/Bronx

(D) trains run from W4 to Bronx

(N) via tunnel and via 4th Avenue Local, half of (N) trains via West End. Announcements say "Via (D) to Coney Island"

(Q) trains run via tunnel, limited service.

(J) trains run from ENY to Jamaica Center stopping at (Z) stops, plus a shuttle from Essex to Broad

(M) trains run in two sections, 71st to 2nd Ave and Wyckoff to Metro Avenue.

(Z) suspended

Edited by Quill Depot

Hurricane sandy has hit!

Sea Beach N

West End D

A east of Euclid Avenue

Montague Street tunnel R

South Ferry 1

WTC E

I will assume for this purpose you mean the new South Ferry Station, while the old loop station can be used to turn trains, but not stop there.

(A) runs in two sections:

207th Street-34th Street/Penn Station (trains stop at 50th Street)

Chambers Street-Euclid Avenue (some (A) service in lower Manhattan begins and ends at Canal Street with LIMITED (A) service on the express tracks in both directions on both tracks to 14th Street).

Single-track shuttle runs Penn Station and 23rd Street.

(B) and (E) are suspended.

(C) runs via the (B) and then (F) from Columbus Circle-West 4th Street, regular route otherwise.

(D) runs to 36th Street-4th Avenue (in revenue service) and (after discharging passengers) uses the otherwise abandoned lower level of 9th Avenue to turn if that station is not flooded. If that is not possible, (D) runs in service to 95th Street-Bay Ridge.

(F) terminates at Church Avenue

(G) is extended to Jamaica Center and replaces the (E) between Court Square and Jamaica Center.

(L) terminates at Myrtle Avenue with a single track shuttle on the northbound track (every 30 minutes) in both directions between Myrtle Avenue and Bushwick Avenue.

(M) service operates 24/7 on its regular weekday route until service is restored on other lines.

(N) and (Q) run to 95th Street-Bay Ridge via the Bridge.

(R) Shuttle trains operate between Canal Street and Whitehall Street, otherwise (R) is suspended.

Single-track shuttles run between Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center and 7th Avenue (Q) stations.

(1) terminates and begins at Rector Street.

(3) and (4) terminate at Utica Avenue.

(1) shuttle from Van Cortlandt Park to 207th Street.

Regular Service from 145th Street or 137th Street to South Ferry

168th.

Bigger!

Hurricane sandy has hit!

Sea Beach N

West End D

A east of Euclid Avenue

Montague Street tunnel R

South Ferry 1

WTC E

(A) Via 6th Ave Local; Terminates at Euclid Ave express tracks

(C) Via 6th Ave Local

(B) To 34th St (A) (Via Local)

(D) To 36th St

(F) Jamaica-57th St

(M) Two parts: Forest Hills-57th St OR Lexington Ave-53rd St; Chambers St-Metro Ave

(L) Terminates at Myrtle Ave (TPH Reduction)

(N) To Bay Ridge, via 4th Ave Local

(Q) Suspended

(R) Via Bridge

(1) Terminates at Rector St (TPH Reduction if the loop isn't usable)

(2)(3) Terminate at Eastern Parkway

(4)(5) Terminate at Flatbush

^^ I'm putting that on my resume ^^

(3) and (4) terminate at Utica Avenue.

CDTA:

It is believed Quill Depot meant Utica, not Nostrand on that one (that's what I went by based on what other posters did). I assumed such in my post and failed to note it.

Assuming I was wrong, my REVISED IRT portion in Brooklyn:

(2) and (3) terminate at Franklin Avenue, some (2) service runs to Church Avenue, some (3) service runs to President Street.

(4) and (5) terminate at Flatbush Avenue.

Edited by Wallyhorse

CDTA:

It is believed Quill Depot meant Utica, not Nostrand on that one (that's what I went by based on what other posters did). I assumed such in my post and failed to note it.

Assuming I was wrong, my REVISED IRT portion in Brooklyn:

(2) and (3) terminate at Franklin Avenue, some (2) service runs to Church Avenue, some (3) service runs to President Street.

(4) and (5) terminate at Flatbush Avenue.

If there is insufficient terminal capacity for the (2)(5) to terminate at Flatbush, how are the (4)(5) supposed to terminate there? How in the world would the 2/3 reverse on a pair of tracks that has 30tph in each direction? How would the 2/3 terminate at Franklin?

NX:

If you read the track maps carefully, the (2) and (3) CAN cross over between Eastern Parkway and Franklin Avenue before the (4) / (5) tracks reappear: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/caption.pl?/img/trackmap/pm_southeast_2.png

That's why I have the (2) and (3) terminating at Franklin (with limited (2)'s to Church Avenue and (3)'s to President Street) and the (4) and (5) terminating at Flatbush Avenue. Late nights, the (2) and (4) would both terminate at Flatbush Avenue.

NX:

If you read the track maps carefully, the (2) and (3) CAN cross over between Eastern Parkway and Franklin Avenue before the (4) / (5) tracks reappear: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/caption.pl?/img/trackmap/pm_southeast_2.png

That's why I have the (2) and (3) terminating at Franklin (with limited (2)'s to Church Avenue and (3)'s to President Street) and the (4) and (5) terminating at Flatbush Avenue. Late nights, the (2) and (4) would both terminate at Flatbush Avenue.

You can't turn trains around at Franklin...

Why not? they can use the switch before Franklin and E pkwy. Of course this has to be in a dire situation but it's possible.

That switch is practically south of E. Pkwy...that means they would have to wrong tail for a good distance.

Plus, what about the express trains

That switch is practically south of E. Pkwy...that means they would have to wrong tail for a good distance.

Plus, what about the express trains

Not my solution to the problem, but it is possible and the signal configuration allows this. In Wallyhorse's solution, The expresses go to Flatbush.

Edited by Mr Railfan