Subway - What If?

VWM

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The f**k is it with you and sending (J) and (M) trains to 168...

Very simple in this case:

To keep as many people off the (E) and shuttle buses in Queens as possible since enough people are going to need those in this scenario. 

And I have the (J) and (Z) go to 145, NOT 168.  I'd say Columbus Circle except 145 is the first spot I can have trains turn without disrupting other lines.

To keep as many people off the (E) and shuttle buses in Queens as possible since enough people are going to need those in this scenario. 

And I have the (J) and (Z) go to 145, NOT 168.  I'd say Columbus Circle except 145 is the first spot I can have trains turn without disrupting other lines.

Isn't that what cross honoring fares on the LIRR is for? Keep the (J) and (Z) where it belongs. Passengers can go to the LIRR or take the (J) / (Z) to Essex or Fulton Streets. Granted, it may be a longer trip with more transfers, but it's much better than rerouting entire lines. Edited by darrylbaniaga38

But not at the expense of potentially disrupting other lines in the process. First, you're going to have  (F) service disrupted at B'way Lafayette because of (J) and (Z) trains squeezing in. Next at W4th (C) and  (E) service slows because trains switching over to the 8 Av tracks. Finally, I'm pretty sure dispatch wants to handle 5-6 services running on 8 Av and CPW.

Edited by darrylbaniaga38

The amount of service he's trying to force through west 4th will cause the system to have a heart attack.

You don't need to reroute the J, when there are transfer options that could esialy distribute the load. You are NOT spreading everything around. Besides, you're assuming;

A: Everyone won't mind backtracking and going the long way.

And

B: that everyone will be traveling in that mess.

Some people will just plain stay home.

Others will find alternate means that don't involve the J or the LIRR if you're that convinced no one will ride it.

Some people could take the Q59 to the L train.

Others can take the Q38 or Q58 to the M.

Then there are the local buses over the bridge.

An then there's the express buses.

And then there's driving/getting a lift/taxi to LIC for one of the operating connections.

Shall I go on?

Thing is Wally, your plans are always so one dimensional. "Oh, they can't use the E, therefor they must take the J." You always seem to operate on "if A, must be B", when real people think "If A, can be B, C, D, E, F..." Etc etc etc.

Remember you are also hurting those who'd use the J under normal circumstances. You are over crowding their trains, making them late.

You seriously just don't know when to quit with your illogical and asinine proposals, do you Wallyhorse?

But not at the expense of potentially disrupting other lines in the process. First, you're going to have  (F) service disrupted at B'way Lafayette because of (J) and (Z) trains squeezing in. Next at W4th (C) and  (E) service slows because trains switching over to the 8 Av tracks. Finally, I'm pretty sure dispatch wants to handle 5-6 services running on 8 Av and CPW.

As noted, the (J) and (Z) would ONLY be operating uptown late nights and weekends in this.  The rest of the time, those would (with skip-stop running at all times) be running to Broad Street per (otherwise) normal because of capacity issues along sixth and eighth avenues (and Broadway-Lafayette).

Oh, and while some would drive when this happens, not everyone can.  The idea is to try to keep as many cars off the road as possible.

As noted, the (J) and (Z) would ONLY be operating uptown late nights and weekends in this. The rest of the time, those would (with skip-stop running at all times) be running to Broad Street per (otherwise) normal because of capacity issues along sixth and eighth avenues (and Broadway-Lafayette).

Oh, and while some would drive when this happens, not everyone can. The idea is to try to keep as many cars off the road as possible.

So you screw people on the (J)(Z) over for...

The switch leading from the Canarsie line to the Westbound Broadway Local track at Broadway Junction is stuck in the reverse position (down the ramp). It's 2pm but due to an earlier failure the crew won't be on scene for a while and it will take "a few hours".

Additionally, a Railfan believed they saw an MUDC while at 14th/7thave causing a 'foam incident'. The frothy precipitate will close all tracks through the station for the night. Do what you have to do.

The switch leading from the Canarsie line to the Westbound Broadway Local track at Broadway Junction is stuck in the reverse position (down the ramp). It's 2pm but due to an earlier failure the crew won't be on scene for a while and it will take "a few hours".

Additionally, a Railfan believed they saw an MUDC while at 14th/7thave causing a 'foam incident'. The frothy precipitate will close all tracks through the station for the night. Do what you have to do.

That's a lot of damn foam lol but anyway...

(L) Manhattan to Broadway Junction (upper level), Broadway Junction to Canarsie as a single track shuttle on the Canarsie track (yeah you gonna piss off a lot of people but oh well).

=======================

(1) Bronx to 34 St-Penn Sta

(2) Bronx to Times Sq express 72 St to 42 St in both directions, Chambers St to Brooklyn. Its overnight, you can get away with it

(3) 148 St to 96 St

Any lower Manhattan stations use (4) trains

Due to flooding at Queens Plaza, there is no service along the Queens blvd line from Forest Hills to Queens Plaza. The Astoria and Flushing Lines are becoming overcrowded. This will take a week to fix because of platform damages. Reroute lines in Queens and add extra service where needed.

(7): Additional service will be provided between Mets-Willets Point or 111th St and Times Square.

(E): No trains between Kew Garden-Union Turnpike and Lexington Av-53rd St. Trains run in 2 sections.

1. Between Jamaica Center and Kew Gardens-Union Turnpike.

2. Between Lexington Av-53rd St and World Trade Center.

(F): No trains between 179th St & 21st St-Queensbridge. All Brooklyn-bound trains leave from Manhattan-bound platform at 21st St-Queensbridge.

(G): Additional service will be provided.

(J)(Z): Skip-stop and express service suspended.

(M): Service rerouted over (J) between Delancey-Essex and Broad/Chambers Sts.

(N):

(Q): Service runs on (F) between 57th St-7th Av and 21st St-Queensbridge. All Brooklyn-bound trains leave from Brooklyn-bound platform at 21st St-Queensbridge.

(R): Service rerouted over (Q) line between Lexington Av-59th St and Astoria-Ditmars Blvd. Brooklyn service runs normal.

Free shuttle buses provided as follows.

Long Island Railroad will cross honor MetroCard at Penn Station, Atlantic Terminal, Woodside, East New York, Long Island City, Hunters Point and Jamaica Station.

LIRR will provide special shuttle train service between Long Island City and Jamaica station until further notice.

New York Waterway will provide overnight service and cross honor MetroCard passenger.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201703423907676287259.0004f05730947d2877e6b&msa=0&ll=40.718445,-73.972836&spn=0.039747,0.084543

Edited by FamousNYLover

Wallyhorse, your flooding situation for Queens Plaza-Forest Hill is insane. <7> express cannot operate both direction at same time. If you do that, it means one direction of <7> express had to run express on local track, which means express will be behind the local train.

I never said it did:

Obviously, there would be time for track changes and the like and the <7> would be in the peak directions.  The weekend times would be set with 5:00 PM being the turnover time on weekends given people are still often going to Manhattan through late afternoon on Saturdays and Sundays.  While that obviously is still the case in the evening, it's not as much as in the afternoon on weekends which is why I would have the switchover occur around then.  Likewise, 5:00 AM would be the turnaround time on Saturday and Sunday morning and 3:00 AM on Monday morning based on the greater needs in a scenario where you would have <7> service 24/7 in one direction to accommodate such a flooding situation.

I thought people would factor that in to what I noted.

And for the rest of the flooding situation, the idea is to keep as many cars off the road as possible and keep as many people on one-seat rides as possible.

Here's one because I'm bored out of my damm mind lol....

It's the weekend & due to unknown sources of giant cotton candy blocking the entire the 53rd Street line from Queens Plaza to 7th Ave-53rd Street all (E) trains are cut off. And the 59th street tube is OOS due to construction so (R) trains run from Forest Hills-71st Ave to Jamaica 179th Street & from Lex Ave 59th and onward Brooklyn bound. The (E) runs local via Queens Blvd to Queens Plaza & The (F) runs express to 36 street like usual. You cannot re-route the (E) 's down 63rd Street due to construction there too. Note: (F) train headways are decreased due to 63rd street construction. How would you re-route the (E)?

Edited by E For Erica

Here's one because I'm bored out of my damm mind lol....

It's the weekend & due to unknown sources of giant cotton candy blocking the entire the 53rd Street line from Queens Plaza to 7th Ave-53rd Street all (E) trains are cut off. And the 59th street tube is OOS due to construction so (R) trains run from Forest Hills-71st Ave to Jamaica 179th Street & from Lex Ave 59th and onward Brooklyn bound. The (E) runs local via Queens Blvd to Queens Plaza & The (F) runs express to 36 street like usual. You cannot re-route the (E) 's down 63rd Street due to construction there too. Note: (F) train headways are decreased due to 63rd street construction. How would you re-route the (E)?

Run the (E) via the (G) ?

Shit, I'm so out of whack with the internal operations of this bitch, lol.

F**k, I know I'm wrong.

Edited by Turbo19

Dude, I suck at this. Run it down the (R) , what the hel was I thinking? lol

I just said the 60th tube was OOS lol. And the (E) via the (G) would be a foam fest. That's why I really thought this through & made sure that would be the only answer lmao.

And the MTA ordered this special subway car that eats it's way out of tunnel blockages of all shapes & sizes to clear the cotton candy at the end successfully resuming normal (E) service by Monday.

Edited by E For Erica