Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a lot of questions about money, days off, leaving other paying jobs, etc. on this forum..

In a nutshell...I am going through training myself...It is really tough. I was in an industry my whole life and this is all new to me. ( I am a bit older than you guys in their 30's) add about 10 years. It is about studying and following the rules. The feeling when you get the letter in the mail is only the beginning. They will tell you, it is all about what you put into it. I am not out of the woods by any stretch of the imagination. I still have signal tests to pass, etc.. yes, you start is Monday-Friday for the first few months. Then all bets are off. Money is good, and yes they pay during training, you WORK for it. When you get home from school car at night, it is not over for the day. I don't want to speak for everyone, I LIVE, SLEEP, EVERYTHING MTA at this point. IT IS A CAREER..Forget about previous jobs where you were the boss..You are stripped of all seniority and power...( remember when you started your first days of school..) I hope this helps a bit..Good luck..any questions, I will try to also answer..Good luck..J

Very well put together post! Every job or line you go into, i think for most part you all have to be similiar breed. In the sense where you looking to achieve something. yes you are right some of us currently are bosses and that will be a hard thing to put away on the shelve. But i am sure it will be rewarding in the end!

It will be a tough transition going from a nice e 8-4 pm schedule with weekends off to a extra extra mta trainoperator but have to look into the future now..all about the sacrifice and family understanding the tough task and sacrifice when there is a family function that you can't make because you have to go into work or have a few drinks with your buddies on weekends etc

That's right tprashad0719, it's all about the sacrifice. At the beginning after training, it's not easy beign on extra extra and them sending you everywhere, everyday. But on the long run, it's gets better slowly. We just gotta look at the future and be positive. Letters should be sent soon for me and mikeems1. Hopefully very soon...

@mtahopefullmatt, you're very right. Just gotta be humble and study all materials given to you. And you're right about them hiring more T/O's. More and more keep retiring. @mikeems....we will be getting letters soon....I'm positive about that. Just a week and a half ago they were calling the 4100's for drug exam, now supposedly they're calling 4400's and only less than 2 weeks went by, that shows they're running thru that list quickly. I asked an old timer Conductor today and told him about the 4100's being called for drug test just 2 weeks ago and now the 4400 people are getting letters by mail.....and told him I was 46XX....his answer was "ohh forget it, you're gonna be in soon"....that gave me alot of hopes.....

Hey K423, hope you dont mind me asking, are you closer to 4500 or more closer to the 4400? Im 457X. Thats why i'm asking.

List #442x

I did my urine test yesterday 9/11/15 at 180 Livingston they have me a long app to fill out at home and said wait for a call.

List #44xx

Hi Guys,

I went in for my drug test last week on 9/10. I still have to provide them with a couple of things. My list is 44xx. I'm here very nervous about all this seems like forever sine I took the test and all I'm hearing is how hard the signals test is and all that stuff. I will be leaving a high paying job that I have been at for more than 15 years. I hope I'm making the right move. I spoke to someone and they said there are 2 more classes this year after that she didn't know if there were anymore. She also said if I don't get in now I can contact DCAS and have my name reinstated because the list runs to sept 2016. Do you guys think there will be more openings for 2016 ?

Awww man congratulations bro @tprashad0719....you're gonna be there all day tomorrow so take your snacks with you and stuff and try to be there early. Tomorrow if everything goes well, they're gonna give you a paper stating your reporting time for the day the class starts, your salary and pass nunber assigned to you. Once you get that paper at the end,it's like you're being sworned in bro. Congrats!!! And good luck. Meanwhile I'm waiting patiently for that letter along with @mikeems1. We next my brother....