Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

@Subwayguy, thanks for the explanation.

Are May and January the only times when retirements become effective?

So those would be the times that Transit could accurately estimate their staffing needs for the rest of the year?

I guess the big picture, unanswered question is how much more hiring will actually take place before this list expires in Sept. 2016.

They've hired up to #3344 and I think they've certified to roughly 4600.

Do they typically reach the end of the certification before the list expires?

My fear is that there will be a multi-year hiring freeze, but I suppose they will need to replace people who retire.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok got it..one time i was under a conductor list number and i received a letter offering me a position of bus operator. I took it. Another time i was under track worker exam and i received a letter stating that by the time the list expires my number will not be called but they offered me a position of a cleaner which i denied

@Subwayguy, thanks for the explanation.

Are May and January the only times when retirements become effective?

So those would be the times that Transit could accurately estimate their staffing needs for the rest of the year?

I guess the big picture, unanswered question is how much more hiring will actually take place before this list expires in Sept. 2016.

They've hired up to #3344 and I think they've certified to roughly 4600.

Do they typically reach the end of the certification before the list expires?

My fear is that there will be a multi-year hiring freeze, but I suppose they will need to replace people who retire.

No.

But many retirements tend to take place around that time frame because in May is when annual allotments of sick balances come in, so people who are eligible for sick leave payout can retire in May and add to their terminal leave pay (or use the rest of their sick time if trying to zero their balance). In December/January is when vacation accruals from the previous year come in, so a lot of retirees will pick the first 5 weeks of the New Year as vacation, retire, and not come back from their vacation. By doing it this way, their last day of service is the end of their vacation, but their last actual day of work is much sooner. And by doing this at the beginning of the year (as opposed to the end), they avoid having to work most of the year without using their vacation, instead taking it immediately.

Other retirements happen throughout the year...as well as promotions, demotions, people resigning, etc. so staffing is a year round issue. Retirements do tend to "bunch" around those times, and they are aware of it.

i just called livingston and was told they just got the approval to hire 140 more people ,usually 140 mean 3 times more then this due to people declining ,never getting there letters on time or at all or not qualified..i told her my list number 41xx and said i should be called in by end of this year..so it still keeps my hopes up..i just wanted to update you guys who are next on the list

Good news for you guys! I'm sure I don't have to tell you to make sure you have all your stuff in order. It would suck to come this far and get held up over something simple. I seen a few people get held up after waiting all day. Oh get there EARLY!!!

@HopefulTO, what do people get held up for?

I understand we need to get to 180 Livingston early.

Do you mean missing records?  What do people forget to bring? 

Also, are they still doing the initial appointment for drug test by letter, than calling you to come back for the all-day physical exam?