Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

@HopefulTO, what do people get held up for?

I understand we need to get to 180 Livingston early.

Do you mean missing records?  What do people forget to bring? 

Also, are they still doing the initial appointment for drug test by letter, than calling you to come back for the all-day physical exam

A lot of people get held up for medical reasons mostly.  Go to the doctor now and make sure your sugar, blood pressure, eyes, and any other medical condition you may have is under control that way when they call you for the medical your are ready. 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my paperwork in the mail today, telling me to report on tuesday at 180 Livingston Street for medical. Includes paperwork for background check. Hope all goes well!

Again make sure that you fill out the paper work fully and honestly. Get you arrest disposition from criminal court if this applies to you. They want to see how honest you are. And all education documents and birth certificate. And anything else needed. And get there EARLY!!!! Good luck.

Depends on Division. B Div, is 8-9 months. A Div is shorter. Also it depends on what division is being trained. My induction had 1 A-div, 3 B-Div. classes. Sometimes you'll get a choice, sometimes not. I have 2 more weeks before my roadtest. I'm in B-div and I started back in Aug. Then after that, I'm on my own and still on probation. Cant wait. The training T/O's have been helpful and have let me operate on my own without a word from them, except to tell me how to approach timers in the tubes.. Some have been helpful in other ways. Either way, good luck to you guys.

Cant really speak about A-Div except that is has less equipment to learn and some signals are different. A-Div is also the # lines. B-Div is the letter lines. You have the signals to learn and more types of equipment to learn. There are more yards, locations, lines to learn. I took B div because of where I live. From what I heard, most A-div jobs start in the Bronx. B-Div start all over the city.

How long is the training? I've already down loaded the signal info from NYCsubway.org. I figured I should start studying in advance.

I repeat DO NOT go by anything you see online regarding signals down here..

You wait until you get that signal booklet from your Schoolcar TSSs...

NYCT signal definitions are official what you see online is not.

All it takes is one wrong answer on that Signals quiz and it can cost you your job.

Somewhere in one of these threads I posted a link to the most recent version of the rulebook. Here's the link again. You can study this if you're chomping at the bit to go:

http://transportworkersunited.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/rulesbook-TA-OA.pdf

Look at CHAPTER THREE ONLY. Some of the other info has been superceded by bulletins and is no longer current. Signals chapter is money though.

Edited by SubwayGuy

Do not learn any signals you find on the web...I iust got through my signals exam and we just found out about 3 new signals right before...lucky for us those signals were not going to be on the exam....our group of thirty were placed in B Division back in Feb 14 lines and five different types of trains to learn and its 9 months long...Good Luck to everyone getting called up for Medicaid!

Hello All:

I just left 180 Livingston today and submitted my pre employment paperwork and completed my urine drug test. I was informed that I'll be contacted by phone in 3-90 days. I'm hopeful at that prospect since this is my second time going through this process. Good luck to all and I'll update everyone again when I'm scheduled for my medical and final processing.

@loydmike, thank you for the update.

The only change I've noticed on the DCAS automated line is that my # (37xx) is now back on outstanding certification, presumably because they're back to hiring people from this exam list after a brief hiring freeze when there were no classes scheduled.

The last # hired has remained unchanged at #3344 since sometime last month (March 2015).  I'm thinking that # won't change until the next school car class begins in about 4 weeks.

Good luck - hopefully they'll call you for next month's class.

Longer than that tprashad! Loyd and I were both called back in October. Not sure about Loyd but at that time I was told 2 to 90 days and that was 7 months ago.

Loyd! Hopefully it won't be that long for us my number is close to yours (I think), 34XX mine is mid range. I'm going down tomorrow morning for what I'm guessing will be the same thing you did today. In October I was simply drug tested. Fingers crossed for us!

I went on Tuesday, if urine comes back ok, we should be notified in about a week for medical, Or so I'm told.LOL

When I went in a little more than a year ago I went to 180 Livingston 2x. The first time was to turn in paperwork and to pick up booklets to be filled out. The next time they called me in for the physical, turn in any paperwork that I didn't turn in the first time and I got sworn in and given a start date to report to 130 Livingston. The urine for diabetes and drugs were done on the second visit. Also blood pressure,eye exam,and a visit with transit physician were done on that day. I'm sure that I got the chronology right. But it's as close as I remember it.

Edited by Postal 1