Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI Success7 - Congrats on almost completing school car. My main questions are:

1. It seems newbies get school/training twice; yards ops then customer svc ops - are these both Pass/Fail situations? Will future newbies be trained for both A & B division equipment?

2. Are the 1st - 3 months of yard ops counted towards the probation period; which is 1 year from hiring date? Please correct if misspoken.

Thanks for sharing. I feel this could work for the benefit of most newbies to become familiar with the equipment, MTA culture etc... in a less stressful environment than being put straight into customer service operations, where the risks for potential mistakes, write-ups, and consequences are heightened. Well like you said, "it is what is"... Once again best wishes.

You definitely will not be trained for both A and B, at least not at this time. Not saying it can't happen, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Yes all of your training is counted towards your probation. Your probation starts the day that you report to orientation from day 1. I doubt you will be trained for both divisions. You'll either get put in A or B. and the first half of school car is basically yard ops and the basics. Then you go yard posting. After that then you start preparing for operating in customer service then go road posting. So the new thing is they are basically gonna break the training in half and put 3 months of working in the yard before you start road ops/training.

Thanks for your prompt response.

You definitely will not be trained for both A and B, at least not at this time. Not saying it can't happen, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Thanks for sharing your POV.

They do need B Div. 3/4 of my class went to B. My list # jammed me. I just happened to be they guy after the last guy to pick; then they simply said, "The rest are in A Div."

It doesn't work like how you stated though. Your list # determines when you pick. If you have a lower than higher # (1 vs 2), you get to pick until they say they have to put x amount of people in A since not enough picked.

DO NOT give up your appointed position as a T/O. Work through your first Div. and if you don't like the commute or what have you, switch after a couple years. Or, move and be close to where you most report out of.

When I get called for train op, if the only choice is A division i don't want it, I'll wait until they need B division people.

To each his own.  I have this nasty habit of suffering through what's placed in front of me.  I wouldn't be able to make the choice between A & B on my own personally.  Both seem to have their perks and shortcomings of which I'm interested in testing myself against.

Sorry for asking but whats the difference between them. I must have missed the explanation of them.

A Div - IRT:1-2-3-4-5-6-7 lines - Mostly out of the Bronx

B Div - IND/BMT: A B C D E F G J L M N Q R Z lines - Mostly out of Brooklyn

Both have shuttles.

Edited by kevinetics

Sorry for asking but whats the difference between them. I must have missed the explanation of them.

To make it simple, A Div is all the number train lines and the Grand Central Shuttle while the B Div is all the Letter train lines. In A Div, you will start work in the Bronx mainly but you can also start your shift in Brooklyn and in Queens. B Div, you can basically start your shift in any Borough. Yes the B Div yards are mainly in Brooklyn but they also have large main yards in the Bronx, Washington Heights manhattan and in different parts of Queens. So B div guys can report practically anywhere within the boros while A div guys or gals will report mainly to the Bronx, Queens for the 7 line and Brooklyn sometimes.

Replies In red:

My main questions are:

1. It seems newbies get school/training twice; yards ops then customer svc ops - are these both Pass/Fail situations? Will future newbies be trained for both A & B division equipment?

You will be broken in for either A or B Division, but not both. You will learn which division in the first two days. It is possible in your career to qualify in both divisions (as well as Subdivision C - work trains) - but you'll have to have the seniority to pick a job over there first, and then you'll go back to schoolcar to qualify for the "new" division. As a new employee, however, you'll only qualify in ONE division.

There is training for both "yard" and "road" operations. You will take several tests in schoolcar which you must pass, as well as periodic quizzes which serve as progress evaluations but do not count towards your final grade (although you will have to retake them if you fail):

1st Yard Practical - preparing a train for yard movement, yard movement, reading switches and signals in the yards, cutting/adding (coupling/uncoupling) a train

Midterm Exam - must get 80% or better

2nd Yard Practical - preparing a train for customer service, troubleshooting an unexpected emergency brake application - brake pipe rupture (simulate a pulled emergency brake cord)

Signal Exam - must get 100%

Signal Practical - must demonstrate the ability to safely pass two otherwise "red" signals - details of this will be explained in your training

Final Exam - must get 80% or better

Road Practical - must demonstrate the ability to operate safely in customer service for a manager. You'll take an empty train down the road. Must read and react properly to all signals, must make proper station stops, follow all correct operational procedures, and demonstrate good train control as well as some ability to maintain the schedule WITH SAFETY. The manager MUST feel comfortable with you operating that train.

2. Are the 1st - 3 months of yard ops counted towards the probation period; which is 1 year from hiring date? Please correct  if misspoken.

Everything, including your first day, counts towards the 1 year probationary period.

When I get called for train op, if the only choice is A division i don't want it, I'll wait until they need B division people.

I'm not sure you can do that! I might be wrong. I didn't pick what division I wanted till the first day of orientation. At that point, I'm not sure whether you can put your name back on the list. Like I said, I might be wrong....u might wanna look into that furthet