Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am in the lower

section of 550 - 600 numbers. Passed the exam but did not think seriously about

getting the job, couldnt believe that not-a-native-speaker can make it.

But now... Passed

medical successfully, was presented with a huge package of materials to study. Was

given employee numbers. Was told to start class of 02.25. Was sworn.

Question: am I hired?

Asking, cause my work

history is not perfect. Cant be. It is not easy to settle down in New York City. Basic facts are OK, but... Could MTA

still call me, ask for explanation of certain facts? And, if the answer wont satisfied them - reverse hiring decision?

Or maybe, just maybe - wishful thinking - they check my file at SSA already and decided that my work history is good enough for them - nobody is perfect, right?

Just started new job

as a truck driver. Told my boss that I became sick, very sick, and stayed home

instead going to LA.

Afraid that I gonna

lose the job I have and will not be hired by MTA

depends of WHAT is WRONG with your previous employment history.....if you are thinking that you have changed employment often or you have long/short lapses between jobs - this is usually not a problem...what they are looking though for is if there are jobs you have been fired from and WHY ????...If it is because that business closed or they had to lay you off that that's OK but if you were fired for behavioral or racial reasons ( for example) then that's a BIG CAUSE for declining employment  with MTA or ANY other city/government institution ...

If you were called already and was told you will start school on 25th...then u r good to go...i really do not think they will waist time and resources to hire you BEFORE checking your history....

Just my thinking...i could be wrong though...ONE NEVER KNOWS !!!!!!

However.........regarding your present employment............ once you start class you will have to quit your present job...BUT....even if you are hired and all, you still have to PASS all the tests during school car in order for you to keep your employment with MTA...if you have tardiness issues during school class or behavioral issues or if you do not score 100% on the "brakes" tests and at least 80% on rest then its the end of the line....school car is about 5 months long ( more or less) and if you do not pass at the end ...is your present job going to still be open for you to return to??? 

ALL above replies contain info  from what i have been reading throughout various threads in this forum...if anyone has any revisions to make please feel free to add!!!!! tks

depends of WHAT is WRONG with your previous employment history.....if you are thinking that you have changed employment often or you have long/short lapses between jobs - this is usually not a problem...what they are looking though for is if there are jobs you have been fired from and WHY ????...If it is because that business closed or they had to lay you off that that's OK but if you were fired for behavioral or racial reasons ( for example) then that's a BIG CAUSE for declining employment  with MTA or ANY other city/government institution ...

If you were called already and was told you will start school on 25th...then u r good to go...i really do not think they will waist time and resources to hire you BEFORE checking your history....

Just my thinking...i could be wrong though...ONE NEVER KNOWS !!!!!!

However.........regarding your present employment............ once you start class you will have to quit your present job...BUT....even if you are hired and all, you still have to PASS all the tests during school car in order for you to keep your employment with MTA...if you have tardiness issues during school class or behavioral issues or if you do not score 100% on the "brakes" tests and at least 80% on rest then its the end of the line....school car is about 5 months long ( more or less) and if you do not pass at the end ...is your present job going to still be open for you to return to??? 

ALL above replies contain info  from what i have been reading throughout various threads in this forum...if anyone has any revisions to make please feel free to add!!!!! tks

I don't know what "brakes" test you are talking about never heard of it and I have 5 weeks left in schoolcar. The one test you MUST score 100% is the signal test. You score a 99% and you fail. Every other test the required minimum score is 80% to pass. You must put in the time and effort to study the material on your own as well.

Move forward and study hard, I'm also a driver waiting to be called(low 800s) You can ALWAYS get a job driving providing you keep a clean driving record but a chance to have a career with transit , as a t/o doesn't come around to often. Best of luck!

if you are hired and all, you still have to PASS all the tests during school car in order for you to keep your employment with MTA...if you have tardiness issues during school class or behavioral issues or if you do not score 100% on the "brakes" tests and at least 80% on rest then its the end of the line....school car is about 5 months long ( more or less) and if you do not pass at the end ...is your present job going to still be open for you to return to??? 

Im Sorry you need to explain what you are talking about here.....

Brakes test??? Where did u read that??

Also, just because you were sworn in doesn't mean they've went all thru your history yet. They dont complete some peoples background checks till after they're in schoolcar. Thats not the case for everyone, but it does happen. So yes, you are hired, but there are certain factors that will decide if you will keep the job

HI Yarek - congrats on making it to the 2.25 class. If you feel comfortable can you narrow your list range within 10-20#'s. Best wishes on whatever you decide...

I am in the lower
section of 550 - 600 numbers. Passed the exam but did not think seriously about
getting the job, couldnt believe that not-a-native-speaker can make it.

But now... Passed
medical successfully, was presented with a huge package of materials to study. Was
given employee numbers. Was told to start class of 02.25. Was sworn.

I don't know what "brakes" test you are talking about never heard of it and I have 5 weeks left in schoolcar. The one test you MUST score 100% is the signal test. You score a 99% and you fail. Every other test the required minimum score is 80% to pass. You must put in the time and effort to study the material on your own as well.

Sorry to ALL.....I did mean SIGNAL test....was reading something on brakes and wrote just that !!!!!! Sorry again....

Brakes test??? Where did u read that??

Also, just because you were sworn in doesn't mean they've went all thru your history yet. They dont complete some peoples background checks till after they're in schoolcar. Thats not the case for everyone, but it does happen. So yes, you are hired, but there are certain factors that will decide if you will keep the job

yes...sorry for that...i meant SIGNAL test....just got side-tracked and wrote ":brake"

Sorry to ALL.....I did mean SIGNAL test....was reading something on brakes and wrote just that !!!!!! Sorry again....

yes...sorry for that...i meant SIGNAL test....just got side-tracked and wrote ":brake"

Cool, no prob. Just wanted to make sure your info was correct.

For any potential future T/O's waiting patiently on the list, everyday someone is talking about whose retirement party they're going to today, went to last night, and are going to tomorrow. They're going out in droves. Hang in there, get all your ducks in a row, and when the call comes in, grab on with both hands.

Edited by subwaydriver

so...asked this question before and no replies...so here I go again....

Can you please tell me :

1 . when the benefits ( medical and dental ) kick in....is it during school car? or after ?

2 . when do u get your uniform? and what do u wear B4 u get your uniform?

3 . do you have to pay for uniform upfront or will be taken out of your paycheck? which one and how much?

4 . how about the rest of your gear??

5 . I asume your transportation is free during school car....correct??

6 . somewhere in the beginning of this thread people were posting that the school car schedule is M-F 7am-3:30pm - weekends off ;

but then some other people wrote later that now they have school car in shifts??? which is which please??? still weekends off??

7 . for those who suffer with high blood pressure and are already taking prescription meds for it ( B4 going to physical) - do you have to take with you a doctors note stating that your illness is under control - OR - they will automatically put you on medical hold and you have to go to their doctor and get a note from them???

Tks to all who will take the time to answer....

Can you please tell me :

1 . when the benefits ( medical and dental ) kick in....is it during school car? or after ?

3 . do you have to pay for uniform upfront or will be taken out of your paycheck? which one and how much?

6 . somewhere in the beginning of this thread people were posting that the school car schedule is M-F 7am-3:30pm - weekends off ;

but then some other people wrote later that now they have school car in shifts??? which is which please??? still weekends off??

7 . for those who suffer with high blood pressure and are already taking prescription meds for it ( B4 going to physical) - do you have to take with you a doctors note stating that your illness is under control - OR - they will automatically put you on medical hold and you have to go to their doctor and get a note from them???

The health benefits kick in about 3 months after the day you start maybe more. All your uniforms are free and will be mailed to you, you will be fitted for them during your first week. There are different shifts in school car, AM or PM. You won't know what shift you are on until you start. You aren't guaranteed every single weekend off during school car but you will get most. Yes transportation is free, you will be given a metrocard which is your job ID, has your picture on it and it is only for your personal use and you need it to acces TA property. Idk about blood pressure issues. Edited by Success7

I was told today by a TSS that all train operator classes starting from March onward, will not go straight to the road and operate in customer service after training. You will be trained in school car for yard operations first. If you qualify and pass everything then you will be a YARD train operator for 3 months. After you work in the yard for 3 months, you will then go back to school car and you will be trained for road operations. If you pass and qualify, then you will go out on the road and operate in customer service. Thats the New standard. Idk why it changed so don't ask. It is what it is. May be good news for some, bad news for others. Just be grateful you will be a transit employee, train operator at that. I only have 1 1/2 weeks left of training then I'm on my own, can't wait!! Been a long, yet fast 5 months.

I was told today by a TSS that all train operator classes starting from March onward, will not go straight to the road and operate in customer service after training. You will be trained in school car for yard operations first. If you qualify and pass everything then you will be a YARD train operator for 3 months. After you work in the yard for 3 months, you will then go back to school car and you will be trained for road operations. If you pass and qualify, then you will go out on the road and operate in customer service. Thats the New standard. Idk why it changed so don't ask. It is what it is. May be good news for some, bad news for others. Just be grateful you will be a transit employee, train operator at that. I only have 1 1/2 weeks left of training then I'm on my own, can't wait!! Been a long, yet fast 5 months.

Haven't heard anything yet about that being confirmed; that the idea is being toyed with. There was also an idea floating around that for the first 3 months, you'll have 3 days yard/2 days road. 

I won't worry/care until something official comes out. May 8th is my last day of Schoolcar. 

Haven't heard anything yet about that being confirmed; that the idea is being toyed with. There was also an idea floating around that for the first 3 months, you'll have 3 days yard/2 days road.

I won't worry/care until something official comes out. May 8th is my last day of Schoolcar.

It's official. Was confirmed to my TSS this week. Your good though, it's the classes STARTING in March and onward. Edited by Success7

See red:

Can you please tell me :

The first day of the first month that is 90 days after your start date. IE if you start March 15, they kick in July 1

It's ordered your first week and will ship when the uniform company gets to you which depends on their supply. they may send wrong sizes in which case you have to mail it back and wait for a replacement. Before you get a uniform, wear a dress shirt, slacks, and dark shoes, the colors and specifics of which will be specified in your training materials.

Uniform is free, provided you stick to the allotted amounts. If you want extras, you can order them at your own expense.

All free.

On your first day you will get your TA pass which is valid on all subways and local buses. Metro-North, LIRR, express buses, etc. do not have to take it, however there's nothing to stop you from showing your pass in the hopes you get some coworker courtesy, but it's not required so be ready to pay if you are turned down.

You will get weekends off for the duration of schoolcar, with a few rare exceptions around holidays which are done to give everyone longer breaks (ie Thanksgiving, etc.) You will also get most major holidays off. The hours your schoolcar class meets are specific to that class and will be given to you fairly early on in training (at the end of the first week), though they are subject to change in case of emergencies, other changes, etc.

IDK, you'll have to check with someone who has it, but it can't hurt to have a note with you when you go down for the medical, depends on how anal the doctor wants to be about it - some are definitely better than others.

HI Success7 - Congrats on almost completing school car. My main questions are:

1. It seems newbies get school/training twice; yards ops then customer svc ops - are these both Pass/Fail situations? Will future newbies be trained for both A & B division equipment?

2. Are the 1st - 3 months of yard ops counted towards the probation period; which is 1 year from hiring date? Please correct  if misspoken.

Thanks for sharing. I feel this could work for the benefit of most newbies to become familiar with the equipment, MTA culture etc... in a less stressful environment than being put straight into customer service operations, where the risks for potential mistakes, write-ups, and consequences are heightened. Well like you said, "it is what is"... Once again best wishes.

Edited by bc0v9g9

HI Success7 - Congrats on almost completing school car. My main questions are:

1. It seems newbies get school/training twice; yards ops then customer svc ops - are these both Pass/Fail situations? Will future newbies be trained for both A & B division equipment?

2. Are the 1st - 3 months of yard ops counted towards the probation period; which is 1 year from hiring date? Please correct if misspoken.

Thanks for sharing. I feel this could work for the benefit of most newbies to become familiar with the equipment, MTA culture etc... in a less stressful environment than being put straight into customer service operations, where the risks for potential mistakes, write-ups, and consequences are heightened. Well like you said, "it is what is"... Once again best wishes.

Yes all of your training is counted towards your probation. Your probation starts the day that you report to orientation from day 1. I doubt you will be trained for both divisions. You'll either get put in A or B. and the first half of school car is basically yard ops and the basics. Then you go yard posting. After that then you start preparing for operating in customer service then go road posting. So the new thing is they are basically gonna break the training in half and put 3 months of working in the yard before you start road ops/training. Edited by Success7