Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Hey, is it true that if you deadhead from one terminal to another you have to stand up the whole way??? I heard that today :(

Boy the things people tell rookies are hilarious.

The only time it is required to stand and operate is in a yard on a two handed controlled train.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, if there are people standing youre supposed to give up your seat to paying customers.

A lot of people bring a sweater or jacket to put over the uniform jacket or shirt for that reason....or find a corner seat where you can hide the patch on the jacket against the train.

Yeah...Had my feelings hurt today - got thrown in the B. Hopefully we'll get most of the weekends off during Schoolcar. :-/ Still happy I'm hired, but I'll always have it in the back of my mind that I'll live close to quite a few A Div reporting locations. BTW, the TSS who spoke with us today said there's no April class scheduled as of yet, but there's a lot of folks still retiring.

Yeah, it kinda sucks to get thrown in the div you didnt want, but you might end up liking the B even with the far out reporting locations. I'm A div and i love it so far, but I've heard that people in the B really love it. Its temporary for now BX, so just stick it out till you're able to pick in the A.

As my instructor said "a train is a train" Once you learn how to operate you can operate any train in any division. Now taking the wrong line up in the B? I'll definitely give you that one.

Sounds like something Cox would say! And its true by the way in my opinion

Oh SMEE-thou hast forsaken me...hahahahahaha.

Those damned brakes gave me a headache today but I finally got the hang of it doing cuts and adds. More tomorrow.

SMEE

The R62's give a lot of A Div. train operators fits, but they're really not bad. Use the first few stations to fiddle with the brakes and see how the train reacts. The standing brake test can give you some idea of this (look at the gauge while you do them), and so will the dynamics test:

-do they apply immediately, or is there a delay?

-How far do you have to move the brake handle to get a response?

-How much air is the gauge showing when you get that response?

-How quickly does the air release out of the system when you graduate down from a higher pressure? How are the notches? Can you feel them easily? (These are important, if the notches are hard to feel and the brake stand is easily manipulated and you grab a heavy brake, you can easily go too far and dump the train - this also gives you "feel" for the brakes).

Once you know this, you know everything you need to know.

Once you grab a brake, hold it. (Usually means you need to hold at least 20 lbs., sometimes slightly more or less depending on your train). If you need more, take more. If you need less, graduate down. If you need a lot less, and can't graduate down without losing dynamics, hold what you have until you're going slow enough that you won't risk running out of the station, release, and re-apply when you need it (anticipating a 1-2 second delay when you grab the brake back). If there's a delay in the application (often there is), anticipate it, and take the brake a little before you need it.

Also be aware that when you grab a lot of brake, it takes a while to build up that air pressure, so when you take 50, 60, or 70 pounds, you'll feel 20, and your urge will be to take more, but give it a second and the train will start to slow down a lot faster. If your instinct is to grab more when you feel the first application, you'll wind up grabbing too much and either stopping short, or having to give a lot back. Just keep practicing and remember no two trains are alike, so the best way to figure those brakes out is to hear and feel the train, and adjust your operation based on how that particular train is handling. And yes - some are better than others, but it's up to YOU to make the train work for you, not the other way around.

Last, before you stop, the very last thing you should be doing is releasing some brake (to smooth out the stop) right at the very end. How much to release depends on your feel of the train - the grade, how fast you're going, etc. but always hold air when you finish the stop. Never let the straight air needle go to 0 until you are about to leave the station.

Edited by SubwayGuy

SMEE

The R62's give a lot of A Div. train operators fits, but they're really not bad. Use the first few stations to fiddle with the brakes and see how the train reacts. The standing brake test can give you some idea of this (look at the gauge while you do them), and so will the dynamics test:

-How quickly does the air release out of the system when you graduate down from a higher pressure? How are the notches? Can you feel them easily? (These are important, if the notches are hard to feel and the brake stand is easily manipulated and you grab a heavy brake, you can easily go too far and dump the train - this also gives you "feel" for the brakes).

Once you grab a brake, hold it. (Usually means you need to hold at least 20 lbs., sometimes slightly more or less depending on your train). If you need more, take more. If you need less, graduate down. If you need a lot less, and can't graduate down without losing dynamics, hold what you have until you're going slow enough that you won't risk running out of the station, release, and re-apply when you need it (anticipating a 1-2 second delay when you grab the brake back). If there's a delay in the application (often there is), anticipate it, and take the brake a little before you need it.

Also be aware that when you grab a lot of brake, it takes a while to build up that air pressure, so when you take 50, 60, or 70 pounds, you'll feel 20, and your urge will be to take more, but give it a second and the train will start to slow down a lot faster. If your instinct is to grab more when you feel the first application, you'll wind up grabbing too much and either stopping short, or having to give a lot back. Just keep practicing and remember no two trains are alike, so the best way to figure those brakes out is to hear and feel the train, and adjust your operation based on how that particular train is handling. And yes - some are better than others, but it's up to YOU to make the train work for you, not the other way around.

Last, before you stop, the very last thing you should be doing is releasing some brake (to smooth out the stop) right at the very end. How much to release depends on your feel of the train - the grade, how fast you're going, etc. but always hold air when you finish the stop. Never let the straight air needle go to 0 until you are about to leave the station.

Thanks SG. I'll be sure to keep this all in mind when we go down the road tomorrow with the 62.

SMEE

Thanks SG. I'll be sure to keep this all in mind when we go down the road tomorrow with the 62.

everything said is 100% on the money. I been on the 3 for the past week. The most important thing like he said, when you grab a break, hold it. Whatever you do, do not let it all out. If you do, you won't get it back in time and that 10 car marker will go flying by you. By your 3rd or 4th stop you should know what you got and be able to adjust. Most of them are actually pretty good, just need to get used to it.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

Hello everyone. It's April 1!!! HELLO MTA LET'S GET THE BALL MOVING. April, May, and June school car class dates should be given out very shortly. When that happens, the list will be hitting the 1000 mark by June with the drug tests.