FASTRACK Subway Repair Discussion

6 Lexington Ave

I don't understand why do the following during this fasttrack on the Queens Blvd line. This is by far the most complex to date of this rapid go.

With that said this is what the (MTA) should add.

Charge the Cityticket fare for the LIRR between Penn Station and Jamaica between 10pm-530am. This would be a great and faster alternative for those at (E) 8th Avenue stations and also in the Jamaica area as well.

Run the (7) every 10 minutes during this period and also the 42nd Street Shuttle as well.

The (Q) should have also been extended to Astoria during this period allowing (N) Queens riders service every 10 minutes during this period.

And why the hell is not a 2nd shuttle bus running between 21st Queensbridge and Jackson Heights/74th & Roosevelt? 

Just some of my thoughts.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or have shuttle bus extended from Queens Plaza to 21st St-Queensbridge, way (G) Shuttle Bus does via local avenue to 21st St, then follow (G) Shuttle Routing to Queensboro Plaza, then return service to Roosevelt Av.

There be also special Q32, Q60 or Q66 to run overnight.

I agree with LIRR CityTicket honoring during Queens Blvd fastrack.

I think this will be diffucult for JFK Airport commuters.

I also think PANY&NJ agent at JFK Airport should be informed by (MTA) if they want to go to Manhattan, they should use A or J.

Edited by FamousNYLover

The nightmare of the century begins on March 18th 2013. Get ready for utter chaos. Even as it is late night the Queens Bound trains can get pretty crowded even at late night in my recent travels on  the QBL.  Right after a (7)  weekend GO to boot. Ouch!

I've taken many late night (E) and (F) trains on QB, many people use the (F) express to transfer to the (7) @ Roosevelt, so those people will just get on the (7) in Manhattan. Those headed to the QB stops "north" of Roosevelt will just use the (7) to Roosevelt Ave. It really shouldn't be that bad, though Roosevelt Av will be a madhouse for a couple of hours.

Run the (7) every 10 minutes during this period and also the 42nd Street Shuttle as well.

And why the hell is not a 2nd shuttle bus running between 21st Queensbridge and Jackson Heights/74th & Roosevelt? 

Pfft, they're gonna need to run the (7) every 4 minutes to handle those crowds (which is what's scheduled). The (7) is going to be carrying an insane amount of people, since aside from the usual evening traffic, will also be carrying almost ALL of the Queens Blvd riders as well. I really feel bad for the (7) PM crews this week, since they are going to take way more suffering and abuse than any of the B-Div crews will.

There IS a 2nd bus running between 21/QB and Queensboro Plaza. It would make more sense to me to run it from 21/QB straight to Roosevelt Ave in order to match the (F) service....

Are all (7)'s running the whole route those evenings? 

There IS a 2nd bus running between 21/QB and Queensboro Plaza. It would make more sense to me to run it from 21/QB straight to Roosevelt Ave in order to match the (F) service....

I think they want as many people to use the (7) as there will be better capacity than running shuttle buses between Roosevelt and 21st st

There is? That bus certainly isn't in any of the announcements. 

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/FASTRACK_mapEFMR.pdf

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/fastrack_EFMR.htm

Also not listed anywhere on the fasttrack info is the fact that the E starts running local early, since the R starts shutting down at 9. 

This is listed if you use trip planner or go to the specific advisory page for the (E)

E.png World Trade Center-bound trains run local from 71 Av to Queens Plaza 

Evenings, 9:15 PM to 10 PM, Mon to Thu, March 18 - 21 

Trains stop at 67 Av, 63 Dr, Woodhaven Blvd, Grand, Elmhurst Avs, 65 St, 

Northern Blvd, 46, Steinway and 36 Sts. 

• Please allow additional travel time. 

Note: No E.png service between Roosevelt Av and World Trade Center after 10 PM

The nightmare of the century begins on March 18th 2013. Get ready for utter chaos. Even as it is late night the Queens Bound trains can get pretty crowded even at late night in my recent travels on  the QBL.  Right after a (7)  weekend GO to boot. Ouch!

Not to mention the fact that the Queens Blvd local stops have been getting the shaft since January. There's a standing service advisory that started in Jan and goes all the way to April 12th that the (E) runs express late nights going queensbound. That right there, if I choose to go out late, adds 20+ minutes to my trip home. The queensbound train has a magic ability to always just pull in to roosevelt as the manhattan bound train is leaving. 

So that's kind of bad, but wait, there's more! Every other weekend this past month the (R) has been running express weekends. Add another 15 minutes god forbid I should leave my house on a weekend. This has been happening in concurrence with the (7) weekend GO's, so manhattan bound (R) trains at roosevelt have been crush loaded, since they haven't had the thoughtfulness to increase the frequency above 10 min. Yes, I know theoretically the 7 riders should be taking the E or the F - but they don't. They seem to love the R, lord only knows why. 

Long story short, for literally 34% of the hours in the month of march I can't take a train home. Fastrack is supposed to be about shortening service changes - shoving it in the middle of a whole bunch of multi-month-long GO's just adds insult to injury. 

And yes - I know the QBL needs the work. And I know we're lucky as a city that the trains run 24hrs. Knowing these things keeps my ire in check, but paying more and getting less is a hard thing not to get riled about. 

How would you suppose a QB FastTrack between Roosevelt Ave and Jamaica would be handled?

Perhaps: 

• Local shuttle buses between Roosevelt Ave and Union Turnpike

And

• Express Shuttle buses between Willets Point or Main street and Jamaica, They will use the Van Wyck Expressway between Northern Blvd and Union Turnpike, and make local stops between Union Turnpike and 179th or Jamaica Center.

What do you all think?

The

How would you suppose a QB FastTrack between Roosevelt Ave and Jamaica would be handled?

Perhaps: 

• Local shuttle buses between Roosevelt Ave and Union Turnpike

And

• Express Shuttle buses between Willets Point or Main street and Jamaica, They will use the Van Wyck Expressway between Northern Blvd and Union Turnpike, and make local stops between Union Turnpike and 179th or Jamaica Center.

What do you all think?

Increase the  (J) frequency to every 6 minutes from 10 p.m to 2 a.m to handle crowds heading to Jamaica as it's the only subway line serving Jamaica when this happens . Since (M) service will mostly run as a shuttle. If would be useful to use the leftover R160's as extra  (J) trains. Increase LIRR service between Penn Station and Jamaica to take some of the load off the shuttle buses and the (J). Why not run make the express buses follow the Queen Blvd Line since Queen Blvd is wide enough to handle express buses. (R) service would end early which makes (D) and (N) service begin their late night patterns early. (E)  (F) service terminates at Roosevelt Av with the (E) running local from Queens Plaza to Roosevelt Av and the (F) running express as usual between 21 st and Roosevelt Av  

In a middle of a snowstorm. Let me throw that in.....

The last couple S/B (E) trains will drop out at Canal St. Now's your chance to go foaming over the signs/messages saying something slightly different, and the possibility of seeing OOS R160's on the Fulton St line!

And yes, this GO calls for a shuttle bus to run between 21/QB and Queensboro Plaza, and another shuttle bus which will run between Queensboro Plaza and Roosevelt/74, making local subway stops.

Guest Lance

Right, he provided no help whatsoever. the F IS running, he made it seem like the entire line was shut down.

And is anyone really surprised?

As for media coverage, WCBS mentioned it briefly during the 6PM broadcast, but not to the extent they gave to ones from last year.

I was in Queens last night and got caught in that 21 St-Queensbridge mess. There was supposedly a bus to arrive there that takes many passengers to QBP but it never showed up. So me and a few angry passengers walked over to QBP to get to the (7) for access to the (F) train. The shuttle bus was at Queens Boulevard when we arrived but I chose to take the train (doesn't matter, I have an unlimited card) I just wanted to get to Union Turnpike faster.

Things I've learned, there is a program on both E and F trains to Roosevelt Avenue from Jamaica Center/179 St respectively via express, however there is none for local. So E train conductors made manual announcements.

I was in Queens last night and got caught in that 21 St-Queensbridge mess. There was supposedly a bus to arrive there that takes many passengers to QBP but it never showed up. So me and a few angry passengers walked over to QBP to get to the (7) for access to the (F) train. The shuttle bus was at Queens Boulevard when we arrived but I chose to take the train (doesn't matter, I have an unlimited card) I just wanted to get to Union Turnpike faster.

Things I've learned, there is a program on both E and F trains to Roosevelt Avenue from Jamaica Center/179 St respectively via express, however there is none for local. So E train conductors made manual announcements.

I was caught in the exact same mess two days ago. The crowding and the 20+ minute wait to relay at Roosevelt ave was a mess. I also noticed there is a (F) local program to Roosevelt ave, but for some reason there is none for the (E)

For Lower Manhattan, take the 4.png or 6.png. F.png trains provide connecting service via
B'way-Lafayette St and Delancey St/Essex St.

For alternate service between Broadway Junction and Manhattan, take the A.pngC.png or L.png.

Affected Station
Alternate Station/Service

Essex St
F.png  J.pngto/from Jamaica Center

Bowery
Essex St  F.png  J.pngto/from Jamaica Center

Spring St  4.pnglocal  6.png

Canal St
ADA_WhlChr_small.gif  4.pnglocal  6.png

Chambers St
Brooklyn Bridge  ADA_WhlChr_small.gif  4.png6.png

Fulton St
4.png  A.png

Broad St
Wall St  4.png

Bowling Green  ADA_WhlChr_small.gif  4.png

The (J) fastrack posted. It not too bad at all since the (6) is close to the (J)