NBA 2011-'12 and off season discussion Thread

553 Bridgeton

After trailing as much as 13 points, the Celtics come back and win game #5 at South Beach vs the Heat 94-90. I am sure the execs at ESPN/Disney are not happy that their favorite NBA player Mr. Lebron James is on verge of not winning a NBA title for 2nd straight year. Props to the ancient C's.

PS what up with ESPN having '2' full time reporters for the Heat the only NBA team to do do?

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two nights in a row the road teams win games, wow. As much as I love the game itself there's this feeling in the back of my mind that the league and it's television partners are running another type of game on fans like me. If both road teams SA and MIA, win their next games we, and the league and networks, get 2 game 7s this week and the Finals on (probably) Sunday. More $$$$$ for the corporations and the league and the casual viewer won't even notice the game that seems to be taking place OFF the court. Like I said, I consider myself an avid fan of the game and some of the athletes but after the recent Draft Lottery the league just held I have my suspicions about some aspects of the NBA's operations. Sorry for the rant. Carry on.

We will have game 7 in Heat/Celtics in NBA East Finals. Heat blow out the Celtics to force a winner take it all game at South Beach Sat. Night. Winner plays the Thunder. Lebron has the best post season game of his carrer scoring 45 points as Miami wins 98-79.

Man Saturday Night is going to be a crazy nite in sports. game 5 of stanley cup, I have another trying to win the triple crown in horse racing. And Yanks/Mets subway series.

Meanswhile as the Thunder aka the former Sonice prepare for the 2012 NBA Finals, here article about how many Sonics fans are still upset about the team that left Seattle few years back.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/06/backlash-over-thunder-fans-dig-at-seattles-loss-of-team/1

Good... No more Spurs d*ckriding from the "experts" on ESPN now.... I don't think any one of them clowns gave the thunder a shot to win this series.... continually saying "whoever comes out of the west will win the NBA title" isn't giving the thunder credit - It's simply implicating either team left in the west is better than either team left in the east....

Unbelievable how the sports media was so high on OKC last year, and all of a sudden backed off b/c the spurs had the run they did this season before they got Das Boot!!! Experts my black a**, they're nothin more than bandwagoning, over-the-hill, flip-flopping media figures with a mouthpiece.... Callate la boca, pendejos!!! I don't know how many times stephen a smith & bomani jones (I'm sure there's a few others, but those 2 stand out) in this year's playoffs done changed their picks (and the games they'd win it in) during the respective series' in this year's playoffs.....

Stick a fork in the Spurs.... They're done.... Grandma has shriveled up & a virgin is ripe for the picking in 2012....

Time to give the thunder their props.....

Good... No more Spurs d*ckriding from the "experts" on ESPN now.... I don't think any one of them clowns gave the thunder a shot to win this series.... continually saying "whoever comes out of the west will win the NBA title" isn't giving the thunder credit - It's simply implicating either team left in the west is better than either team left in the east....

Unbelievable how the sports media was so high on OKC last year, and all of a sudden backed off b/c the spurs had the run they did this season before they got Das Boot!!! Experts my black a**, they're nothin more than bandwagoning, over-the-hill, flip-flopping media figures with a mouthpiece.... Callate la boca, pendejos!!! I don't know how many times stephen a smith & bomani jones (I'm sure there's a few others, but those 2 stand out) in this year's playoffs done changed their picks (and the games they'd win it in) during the respective series' in this year's playoffs.....

Stick a fork in the Spurs.... They're done.... Grandma has shriveled up & a virgin is ripe for the picking in 2012....

Time to give the thunder their props.....

Being fair, the Spurs over the past 15 years (since the Jordan era ended in 1998)along with the Lakers has been the league best-run club. 3 Titles (1999, 2003, 2005)is not too shabby. With that said, they play "Boring" defensive first basketball which is a slap in face to the current "Streetball" that the Miami Lebrons and to certain degree the Thunder plays that ESPN wants to promotes. It be in later years, the Spurs "Near Dystanty" will be looked favorly upon. On the rest of your commentary (B35) I can't agrue and agree 100% that many of the anaylsts at ESPN jumped on the Spurs bandwagon way past their prime.

Being fair, the Spurs over the past 15 years (since the Jordan era ended in 1998)along with the Lakers has been the league best-run club. 3 Titles (1999, 2003, 2005)is not too shabby. With that said, they play "Boring" defensive first basketball which is a slap in face to the current "Streetball" that the Miami Lebrons and to certain degree the Thunder plays that ESPN wants to promotes. It be in later years, the Spurs "Near Dystanty" will be looked favorly upon. On the rest of your commentary (B35) I can't agrue and agree 100% that many of the anaylsts at ESPN jumped on the Spurs bandwagon way past their prime.

And it already started. ESPN NBA analysts led by the clown Stephen A. Smith and others on "Sportscenter" are already calling Lebron's 45 points in Thursday Night game (6) vs the Celtics "one of the best playoff performences in NBA History." Stop man." :angry:

It only will be memorable is if the Heat wins game 7. ESPN might as well be the offical tv station for the Heat. Reminds me of the 1980's/'90's when TBS/Turner used to broadcast Braves games in which ESPN is so 1-sided of a team.

Boy i miss the days when CBS and later NBC covered the NBA.

I still don't like the Spurs because the teams they played were hardly on the same level: Knicks, Nets, Lebron + Cavs. They were not the same as the Celtics or Pistons (early 2000s). Had the Spurs beaten teams like that, then I wouldn't be so upset over those 'cheap' victories.

I happen to like the Spurs because they play team basketball. The Thunder won because they played team basketball, led by Durant. You say the Spurs never played like those Celtics or Pistons teams while winning NBA titles but it wasn't their fault the Eastern teams weren't as good as those Celtic and Piston teams, was it? As a long time aficionado of the game it's my opinion that the Showtime Lakers or the Celtic teams of Bird, Parish, and McHale would have dominated the Spurs teams AND the Chicago Bulls teams with Jordan and Pippen. That's just my opinion though. Great individuals, like Wilt, Oscar, Baylor, Doc, and Jordan rarely win titles until they are surrounded with a team. That's why I look forward to this years NBA Finals where the OKC team will face either a Boston team or the more individualistic Miami franchise featuring the " Chosen One". One of my favorite championship rounds was the 76ers finally winning the NBA title when the team added Moses Malone to the mix of Doc, Cheeks, and Bobby Jones when they realized the individual talents of the Doc and company weren't enough to get them over the hump. I can't wait to see how this one plays out. Carry on.

I am sure tonight's Heat/C's game (7) will probably be the most NBA game not only in ESPN's history but also history of cable tv.

With that said, tonight game should been on ABC. I won't go into a rant again though on games on cable as the "glory years' of major sporting events on free tv is now gone probably forever.

Back to Trainmaster's comments. Well said as usual.

Well it set. The Heat will play the Thunder in the 2012 NBA Finals. Heat break game open in middle of 4th period to send the "ancient Celtics" packing and winning 101-88. Gotta give Doc Rivers alot of credit for taking this series in which on paper the Miami Lebrons should have won in maybe 5 games. Lebron finally proving for 1st time in his carrer, he the best player in NBA and it's no longer just "hype." Win or loss, after the Finals I would not be shocked to see D. Wade traded from the superteam.

As far as oddsmakers/analysts go, the Thunder are the favorites to win the title. With that said, this OKC/Miami (other than the Lakers-Heat matchup) is the "Dream" NBA title series David Stern and execs at ESPN/ABC wanted all season.

If ESPN had it their way it would've been Spurs-Heat, wouldn't it?

While OKC is a smaller market than SA, I am sure ESPN/ABC prefers the Thunder because the Spurs playing "Boring" team basketball. Matter of fact, the lowest tv rated NBA Finals over last 15 years all involved the Spurs. Thus why I think David Stern and ABC/ESPN is happy.

If ESPN had it their way it would've been Spurs-Heat, wouldn't it?

Not a chance.... The league got what they wanted.... A chance for the big three to go up against the young up & comers (from the past 2 seasons or so) that are the thunder.... I'm not a ratings nut, but I think this will end up being relatively high, compared to how the NBA finals usually rates....

Actually I am in Europe so we are ahead in the time, travelling for about 2 days, so I missed some stuff. I stayed up at 2 to watch the first half of Game 7, but yeah thats probably on me.

And I have to agree, the league got what they wanted. I think that is is just gonna be a 2 v 2 scoring-wise.

Now my 2012 NBA Finals pick. Ladies and Gents on nights the Heat/Thunder play over the next 10 days, expect Sportscenter to devote their entire shows to pre and post game coverage lol. Thus if you a MLB fan, might need to watch the MLB network for scores/highlights those nights. :D Plus if this series goes 6-7 games, it could be the most watched NBA Championships since the Micheal Jordan era.

Not to mention Saturday's game (7) Celtics-Heat East Final was the most watched NBA game in cable tv history. It killed both the Stanley Cup Devils-Kings game on NBC and Yankees/Mets subway series on Fox in the ratings.

My prediction. Thunder over the Heat in 7 games.

A lot of the NBA memes on Facebook have been weather based because of the Thunder and Heat being in the Finals. It only helps the cause that Metta World Peace was a guest meteorologist at a Vancouver news station.

Anyway, I predict the Heat will prevail in a thrilling 7 game series. The Thunderstorms in the forecast for Miami will not take out the Heat down there. Lebron and Wade have proven they can take over games and with Bosh back now I don't know if the defensive skills of the Thunder can overcome that.

It seemed to be a game with distinct halves. Miami took it to OKC w/ James, Battier, and Chalmers turning up the pressure on the Thunder in the first half. Durant kept it close for OKC early but the second half saw a big momentum change. Old man Fisher made some plays which seemed to wake up his team and the crowd. Westbrook,Harden,Sefalosa, and Ibaka and company decided to give Durant some help and the Thunder started rolling and couldn't be denied. It's only one game but the Thunder impressed me. Before the finals I thought that either the Spurs or Thunder could beat the Eastern Conference representative but, after one game, I'm not sure if the Spurs could have done what the Thunder did to the Heat tonight. It was a good game, very entertaining. Heat fans shouldn't panic It's only one game. Regroup and try to steal game 2. Find some "D".

@ Shortline Bus Is it team Lebron, team ESPN, or are they one and the same?

Archived