North American Bus Industries

East New York

What Should NABI Do?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What Should NABI Do?

• Current Offering
    • Updated Offering
    • Should not offer for BTE

That is the next million dollar question. Does NABI have what it takes to enter the BTE Program? Should they?

Some people think so, and others do not. However, at this very minute a proposal is in the works to research the viability of a new Metro 45C Coach that could come on line sometime in the first half of 2014.

So what do you think New York? Does the CompoBus have what it takes to play on the streets of New York?

*Note: In 2014, the Metro 45C will be 12 years old.

In your opinion, Should NABI...

1.) Offer the Current 45C

2.) Offer an Updated 45C in a couple years

3.) Offer nothing and continue to concentrate on their core customers.

Please Vote, and feel free to comment.

compo.jpg

Photo Courtesy NABI/Metro Magazine

8067.jpg

Now I have never ridden this bus, I just don't like the design

But anyways if NABI has the balls to try and enter the B&TE program go ahead.

Personally I'm not a huge NABI person, so I don't really go for them.

But just one, just one design flaw could deal NABIs doom.

I'd like to see a redesigned compobus however...

I rode the NABI Compo bus in 2009 when I visited L.A. and I really, REALLY enjoyed the ride and I wondered why the (MTA) wouldn't look at this bus. I think it would do really well here. The ride quality is great and it has enough seats for a place like NYC. I hope that this bus makes it's way here at some point in time, I really do.

Question to ENY: With this new version of the Compo bus being built by 2014, did they say anywhere that NABI is looking to try and tap into the NYC Market with this bus or is this just a fantasy type of thing here?

I rode the NABI Compo bus in 2009 when I visited L.A. and I really, REALLY enjoyed the ride and I wondered why the (MTA) wouldn't look at this bus. I think it would do really well here. The ride quality is great and it has enough seats for a place like NYC. I hope that this bus makes it's way here at some point in time, I really do.

Question to ENY: With this new version of the Compo bus being built by 2014, did they say anywhere that NABI is looking to try and tap into the NYC Market with this bus or is this just a fantasy type of thing here?

The general discussion within NABI is should whether or not they should offer any model in their lineup to the MTA. The 45C is being researched by some to see if its worth entering the BTE in its current configuration or a modified one.

2014 is a projection of when an updated version could be available.

From a NABI POV, of corse they should make a new offer. Why wouldn't you want your prize product bearing the logo of the number 1 transit operation authority in America other than having doubts about it.

From an MTA POV...#1.the unconventional curves and shape of the body would make it more difficult fit new body panels properly on the bus after accidents. #2 running a 45 foot bus in this city without a rear steering tag axle setup is just asking for trouble. #3 the front of that bus is just plain ugly. If it were up to me, I would tell them to keep that bus far, far away from this city...

From a NABI POV, of corse they should make a new offer. Why wouldn't you want your prize product bearing the logo of the number 1 transit operation authority in America other than having doubts about it.

From an MTA POV...#1.the unconventional curves and shape of the body would make it more difficult fit new body panels properly on the bus after accidents. #2 running a 45 foot bus in this city without a rear steering tag axle setup is just asking for trouble. #3 the front of that bus is just plain ugly. If it were up to me, I would tell them to keep that bus far, far away from this city...

Answers for two of your MTA POV concerns:

#1 Thew body structure is composite, so there are no body panels. Sections would be repaired right where the damage occurred. No body panel inventory parts needed. Only composite structural repair items would be needed. Composite is also stronger than steel, yet lighter.

#2 The Prevosts don't have steerable tags either. That's being evaluated right now.

MTA 8010 and 8057 - YouTube

I'm waiting for Gillig now because if NABI is EVEN talking to MTA hell has frozen over. I'm not calling shenanigans but if NABI really wanted a shit in the BTE, why did they pick a bus who one had one customer before it. If NABI was serious, some 40-LFW or 416 would be more respected amoung the NY atmosphere.

With that said, if the 45 Compos come to NYC. the need an updated one. The one in question wasn't too popular.

If MTA does look at NABI why not also the 416 model as well?

I was told by a NABI executive that they had internal talks about the BTE, but decided not to submit any model at all. Therefore, I don't see them offering up any of their standard models. The 45C is only being researched by an independent party at this time.

I'm waiting for Gillig now because if NABI is EVEN talking to MTA hell has frozen over. I'm not calling shenanigans but if NABI really wanted a shit in the BTE, why did they pick a bus who one had one customer before it. If NABI was serious, some 40-LFW or 416 would be more respected amoung the NY atmosphere.

With that said, if the 45 Compos come to NYC. the need an updated one. The one in question wasn't too popular.

They have 2 customers to the 45C, and as I mentioned in my above response, NABI has not decided to submit anything to MTA citing the cost of doing business with them. Options are only being looked into at this time.

The Compo isn't popular because of the high cost of the bus. MTA decided to test both the DesignLine hybrid, and Xcelsior artic. Neither of which have been in standard revenue service. The Xcelsior itself has yet to enter production at all.

Gillig has no plans at all to submit MTA a bus for BTE. NABI does not have any plans to do so either, but they are considering all their options.

That curve makes the front evoke the classic fishbowl look, so I have always wanted to see these here. I figured the slightly longer length would also be good, so that you have more capacity without an artic.

I was so waiting for the NJ operation to get them last year so that there would be some in the area, but they got one of the other models as well. (The fronts of those look a bit ugly to me).

• 2 months later...

Honestly, I've never been on the current 45C model, but between the crash test video and what I know about the bus I'd love to see one in NYC. The extra few feet should give it a fairly high seating capacity even with an MTA-standard 2x1 layout (based on a couple of photos I saw showing LACMTA's 2x2 layout and the NABI people's statement that the 2x2 layout could seat 46, I'd say that we could expect at least 41 seats to start) and that crash test video ENY put up pretty much convinced me that they should be given a chance. That car basically bounced off the side of the bus and left little to no damage.

As far as service niches are concerned, I can see two different places where a bus like this would be great for (MTA) to have. First and foremost, I could see these buses going on routes that either have widely varying passenger loads over the course of a day, or have just enough ridership that current headways with 40' buses won't cut it but the headway reduction associated with artics won't cut it either. For instance, I could definitely see 45Cs taking over primary service on lines like the Bx3/35/36 and the Bx28/30/38 in the Bronx, the Q17/27/46/58 in Queens, the M5 in Manhattan, and certain perennially overcrowded buses in Brooklyn or Staten Island not slated for artics.

The second group of lines I could see these buses serving would be certain express services that typically can't fill MCIs at their current headways. Many of the Bronx express routes would be able to use suburbanized versions of these buses (overhead luggage racks, suburban seats, but still two doors) on weekends and off peak, and special rush-hour-only routes and service branches that tend to get low ridership (the Wall Street branches on the BM1-4, QM5-8, and the BxM18 would be a start) would be able to use them during peak periods. It would allow for parts commonality between express and local fleets and save money on fuel, for a start.

Honestly, I've never been on the current 45C model, but between the crash test video and what I know about the bus I'd love to see one in NYC. The extra few feet should give it a fairly high seating capacity even with an MTA-standard 2x1 layout (based on a couple of photos I saw showing LACMTA's 2x2 layout and the NABI people's statement that the 2x2 layout could seat 46, I'd say that we could expect at least 41 seats to start) and that crash test video ENY put up pretty much convinced me that they should be given a chance. That car basically bounced off the side of the bus and left little to no damage.

As far as service niches are concerned, I can see two different places where a bus like this would be great for (MTA) to have. First and foremost, I could see these buses going on routes that either have widely varying passenger loads over the course of a day, or have just enough ridership that current headways with 40' buses won't cut it but the headway reduction associated with artics won't cut it either. For instance, I could definitely see 45Cs taking over primary service on lines like the Bx3/35/36 and the Bx28/30/38 in the Bronx, the Q17/27/46/58 in Queens, the M5 in Manhattan, and certain perennially overcrowded buses in Brooklyn or Staten Island not slated for artics.

The second group of lines I could see these buses serving would be certain express services that typically can't fill MCIs at their current headways. Many of the Bronx express routes would be able to use suburbanized versions of these buses (overhead luggage racks, suburban seats, but still two doors) on weekends and off peak, and special rush-hour-only routes and service branches that tend to get low ridership (the Wall Street branches on the BM1-4, QM5-8, and the BxM18 would be a start) would be able to use them during peak periods. It would allow for parts commonality between express and local fleets and save money on fuel, for a start.

Here in LA, we use it for all levels of service. Local, Limited/Rapid, and Express(Silver Line)

The bus is tough as hell, more than tough enough for NYC. LACMTA expressed in a report for 150 more 45Cs that that the original 45Cs purchased in 2004 are approaching 300,000 miles, yet require only third the downtime. It's toughest and most reliable bus in the fleet by a large margin. The only issues I see would be that it's 45 feet and has a longer wheel base that might be an issue for small NYC streets. For example, when I rode line 224, It had difficulty getting through the small back streets to get to Olive View Medical Center in the San Fernando Valley. Even the driver expressed his hatred of the wheel base.

I can personally attest to the strength of this bus, when I was with the NTSB, I investigated a collision between a Light Rail train and a Compobus an an intersection in East LA. To make a long story short, the Light Rail vehicle lost the battle, and the Compobus (8033) was back in service within 4 days. I agree with Engineer Boy, as in Phoenix, these should be used on at least some of the express routes (sick of seeing 3/4 empty MCI guzzlers) in Brooklyn and Queens (the folks were always happy without cruisers).

• 1 month later...

The 45C would be a perfect express bus...I don't really see it being used for local bus service at all, it would not work out too well.

If the buses were used for Express service, they would be limited to when they could operate... They are 45 seaters, so I could never see the MTA ordering any suburban styled buses at all. The new stretched RTS suburbans are 49 seaters, and thats the lowest number of seats MTA is willing to go with.

Now as far as local service, I could see them on certain lines like the M5, M34, B6, B46, Q27 and a few others that need more capacity, but may not be ideal routs for artics.

If the buses were used for Express service, they would be limited to when they could operate... They are 45 seaters, so I could never see the MTA ordering any suburban styled buses at all. The new stretched RTS suburbans are 49 seaters, and thats the lowest number of seats MTA is willing to go with.

Now as far as local service, I could see them on certain lines like the M5, M34, B6, B46, Q27 and a few others that need more capacity, but may not be ideal routs for artics.

I would also add the B63, as well as some others, I also think with surburban seating (like the Valley transit, with overhead lighting, and wi-fi) would be ok for non peak hours. I still have a hard time justifying express coaches for a 20 minute ride from Queens, or Brooklyn for that matter but that's just me.

• 1 month later...

The party currently working on the evauation of a possible NABI 45C entry into BTE has delayed the completion of the review to research more into the wheelbase of the bus, and if it is even a viable option for BTE. Preliminary reports say that a 45C may be a good option for a few rouths throughout the 5 boroughs.

Stay tuned. The projected complete date is now June 1, 2012

The party currently working on the evauation of a possible NABI 45C entry into BTE has delayed the completion of the review to research more into the wheelbase of the bus, and if it is even a viable option for BTE. Preliminary reports say that a 45C may be a good option for a few rouths throughout the 5 boroughs.

Really, The MTA wants to evaluted the "COMPOBUS"!?!? Hmmm, this seems interesting......

Those buses are pretty big.

Really, The MTA wants to evaluted the "COMPOBUS"!?!? Hmmm, this seems interesting......

Those buses are pretty big.

MTA is interested in evauating any vehicle that a manufacturer is willing to submit for testing. At this time, a possible NABI entry is ONLY under review by a 3rd party. If the results are positive, the cunsulting team will then prepare a report for NABI on why they may want to enter BTE. It is then up to NABI to make the final decision.

Dante, what is the wheel base issue, I drove one of these for two years while my son was in school in Phoenix and never had a turning issue. They would have to eliminate some routes because of logistics, but we are talking about four feet here. In some areas a much better choice than artics for sure.

I would also add the B63, as well as some others, I also think with surburban seating (like the Valley transit, with overhead lighting, and wi-fi) would be ok for non peak hours. I still have a hard time justifying express coaches for a 20 minute ride from Queens, or Brooklyn for that matter but that's just me.

I ride the QM21 and it takes an hour and a half to two hours to get to Rochdale because of traffic on the LIE and Queens Blvd.

Dante, what is the wheel base issue, I drove one of these for two years while my son was in school in Phoenix and never had a turning issue. They would have to eliminate some routes because of logistics, but we are talking about four feet here. In some areas a much better choice than artics for sure.

I apologize, it's not the wheelbase, but rather the rear axle limit load weight. At this time, it doesn't look like it would be a problem for the TA, and may even be comparable to the 42.5 foot RTS.

You guys all know I hate NABI, but the COMPOBUS? Really? If they really want to offer for BTE they should offer the 40LFW and that's it, but I want those things to stay out of this city.

From what I was told, the 40LFW is out of the question. NABI had been playing around with the idea, but I don't think they will offer the bus to MTA.

As far as the Compo, that is my favorite NABI product. Durable, reliable, and extremely economical. It's actually more fuel efficient than the Xcelsior too.

Archived