Should they make a bx-15 limited bus?

ac1962

I ride the bx-15 bus frequently and i took the bx-15,all the way from fordham plaza to the last stop,about 125 street and 12th avenue manhattan- why can't they make a bx-15 limited bus.i think a limited route will make the line more faster.

I ride the bx-15 bus frequently and i took the bx-15,all the way from fordham plaza to the last stop,about 125 street and 12th avenue manhattan- why can't they make a bx-15 limited bus.i think a limited route will make the line more faster.

Wouldn't the Bx12 SBS to the (1) train be much faster?

Who knows, with the way the (MTA) is killing off the Bx55 now maybe we will see a Bx15 LTD sometime in the future.

Granted, traffic on the Bridges and 125th St aside, the Bx15 doesn't take the fastest route to Manhattan. It does a little bit of meandering in Mott Haven... when it could just stay straight on 3rd Av...

At least that can be changed...

If you're thinking on having the Bx55LTD's Late Evening and All Weekend Service being reinstated with an extension to/from W 125th St/12th Av, Manhattan replacing the Bx15LCL all times except late nights, YOU'RE OUT OF LUCK ON THIS ONE, MAN!!:mad:

There is already a "Bx15 Limited" its called the "Bx55" which was created in 1973 to replaced the old IRT 3rd Ave El. It makes all the stop of the former EL from Melrose to Fordham.

Theres a plan to replace ether the Bx41 Limited or Bx55 Limited (or both), [unknown fully] with a +Select Bus service in the future. Hopefully the +SBS can run via 125th Street as well.

You also have other options to getting around Manhattan, besides the Bx15 ya know.

BTW do you regularly ride the Bx15 from Fordham Plaza to Manhattanville?

Wouldn't the Bx12 SBS to the (1) train be much faster?

Yeah sorta, but the (D) at Concourse and Fordham Rd would be faster, as it all takes like 10-20min to get to 125th Street, then ether walk to 12th Avenue or just hop on the Bx15. If it were AM Rush, you can hop on the Concourse Express and all there is, is just 3 stops to 125th, which would be less then 10-15min likely.

The Bx12+SBS is always tied in traffic (Which slows it down at some point) due to those cars running along US Route 1 (Webster/Fordham Rd) and those heading to the Fordham Center and else where.

Don't forget 125th St is traffic jam streets with RFK Bridge and FDR Drive entrance.

I heard from Rider Rebellion that city plan to test bus lane on 125th St but I think business and parking NIMBYs might oppose.

**** NIMBY'S force the bus lane down 125th and increase tolls for cars on highways going to 125th forcing more ppl to take transit and maybe the M98 to bypass the tolls it could increase ridership on NJT GWB lines as ppl from NJ can use em to reach 125th street via transfer to (A) or M98 to east side. Then GWB coach usa lines can be restructured to go to LGA directly and have a link to (N). Also ppl will use M98 for 125th street corridor. Though there needs to be new discounts for transfering between systems especially for using MNRR.

NYC IS NOT FOR CARS GET OVER IT NIMBYs

Who knows, with the way the (MTA) is killing off the Bx55 now maybe we will see a Bx15 LTD sometime in the future.

Granted, traffic on the Bridges and 125th St aside, the Bx15 doesn't take the fastest route to Manhattan. It does a little bit of meandering in Mott Haven... when it could just stay straight on 3rd Av...

At least that can be changed...

you may be right here.

**** NIMBY'S force the bus lane down 125th and increase tolls for cars on highways going to 125th forcing more ppl to take transit and maybe the M98 to bypass the tolls it could increase ridership on NJT GWB lines as ppl from NJ can use em to reach 125th street via transfer to (A) or M98 to east side. Then GWB coach usa lines can be restructured to go to LGA directly and have a link to (N). Also ppl will use M98 for 125th street corridor. Though there needs to be new discounts for transfering between systems especially for using MNRR.

NYC IS NOT FOR CARS GET OVER IT NIMBYs

The simplest way for me to respond is by saying that you, sir, are a moron.

I however was reffering to how difficult it is to get around by car. cut it out and grow up it's not that serious

How difficult it is getting around by car? Traveling by car is the fastest option, and most convenient method of transportation in the city. Not only do you get speed, but you have privacy and it's so much more comfortable than standing on the subway. You also don't have to walk at all if your destination isn't directly above a subway station. Also, if you're traveling in a group of 4 people then public transportation is MUCH more expensive to use than driving or even taking a cab; $18 round trip.

Most of the time when I travel within Manhattan I have to make an L-shaped route that would not be possible to make using public transportation without it taking at least twice as long and involving so much walking. Such as 75th & York to 89th & Park, or 83rd & 2nd to 70th & Broadway.

Please give me two points that form an L-shape that it would be faster to travel between by public transportation rather than car.

Please give me two points that form an L-shape that it would be faster to travel between by public transportation rather than car.

110th Street/Lenox Avenue to 96th Street/Broadway.

34th Street/6th Avenue to Houston Street/Lafayette Street.

Hey, you didn't say you couldn't use L-shaped subway lines. ;)

110th Street/Lenox Avenue to 96th Street/Broadway.

34th Street/6th Avenue to Houston Street/Lafayette Street.

Hey, you didn't say you couldn't use L-shaped subway lines. ;)

Haha, but you know what I mean, but for the first one if it's during the AM rush when the park is open it would take about the same time to drive over than it takes to walk up/down to/from the subway and wait for a train. And the second example would take only an extra minute or two by car.

The only time traveling by subway is faster is when your two destinations are right above two specific subway stations within Midtown, any other heavily congested area, or between two far away express stations. If any one of them are even a block or two away from the nearest subway station entrance then it's faster by car.

I live by York Avenue on the Upper East Side, with a 10-15 minute bus ride to the nearest subway station. If I'm traveling to another place on the Upper East Side, Upper West Side, or East Midtown then I'm taking a cab or driving if I think I can get a spot. If I'm traveling outside of the borough of Manhattan I'm driving, no exceptions, and there is absolutely nothing that the MTA can do to change that. If I'm traveling Downtown or anywhere else in Manhattan then I'm forced to take the bus over to either the (6) or the (B)(C) depending on where it is, because I'm not gonna spend $20 on a cab or for a parking lot for just little things.

you may be right here.

Now that I think of it it's kind of already happened...

Look at Weekend and evening service to Williamsbridge on the Bx55. It was cut sometime between April 2003 and September 2004, and last year, the (MTA) went and folded Weekend and evening Bx55 service into the Bx15. The Williamsbridge portion of the Bx55 is the only thing that sets it apart from the Bx15 - once the (MTA) gets rid of all service to Williamsbridge (which I would not be surprised if they tried to do in a few years) folding the Bx55 into the Bx15 will be easy since it will literally be nothing more than a short-turn Bx15. The question is, will the (MTA) actually run some kind of Bx15 LTD? I wonder how SBS on the Bx41 (if it does come around) will factor into this.

If the (MTA) makes a BX15 LTD, hopefully it will have less stops, I know it's based off the old Third Av El but I think the Bx55 makes too many stops...

Look at the Bx15 and Bx55 stops on 3rd Av going Southbound (Blue is a Bx15 stop, Purple is a Bx15 and Bx55 stop)

3 AV - E FORDHAM RD [bx15]/3 AV - E 189 ST [bx55]

3 AV - E 188 ST

3 AV - WASHINGTON AV

3 AV - E 183 ST

3 AV - E 180 ST

3 AV - E TREMONT AV

3 AV - CROSS BRONX EXPWY

3 AV - E 174 ST

3 AV - E 172 ST

3 AV - CLAREMONT PKWY

3 AV - ST PAULS PL

3 AV - E 169 ST

3 AV - E 168 ST

3 AV - E 166 ST

3 AV - E 161 ST

3 AV - E 158 ST

3 AV - E 156 ST

3 AV - E 154 ST

3 AV - E 150 ST

The Bx55 is more like a skip-stop or whatever than an actual Limited...

And Northbound

3 AV - 149 ST [bx55]/3 AV - WESTCHESTER AV [bx15]

3 AV - E 152 ST

3 AV - E 153 ST

3 AV - E 157 ST

3 AV - E 158 ST

3 AV - E 161 ST

3 AV - E 163 ST

3 AV - E 166 ST

3 AV - E 168 ST

3 AV - E 169 ST

3 AV - ST PAULS PL

3 AV - CLAREMONT PKWY

3 AV - E 172 ST

3 AV - E 174 ST

3 AV - E 175 ST

3 AV - E TREMONT AV

3 AV - E 180 ST

3 AV - E 184 ST

3 AV - E 187 ST

3 AV - E 188 ST

3 AV - E 189 ST

3 AV - E FORDHAM RD

So the Bx15 has a few more stops in this direction... I don't think it makes a difference...

I hope you guys know, that the Bx55 was not intended to be a Limited stop version of the Bx15. It was intended to replaced the old IRT 3rd Ave EL in 1973.

When the +SBS comes in for ether Webster or 3rd Avenue, Ether the Bx55 will stay put, while the Bx41 is the +SBS, Bx55 eliminated and +SBS on Webster, Bx55 eliminated and +SBS on both Webster / 3rd Ave, or just SBS on 3rd Avenue.

Way to early to tell at this point.

Bx55 wasn't originally supposed to be cut, MTA just added that cut on there when they made changes to the doomsday plan.

Bx55 used to run 24/7 to Williamsbridge until 1995, then it was cut back to Fordham Plaza overnight. 161 St branch service was later eliminated, then the Bx15 replaced the late night Bx55 around 1996-1997.

Bx55 weekend service was cut in 2003 when the Bx41 began to run 24/7

The next step would be to eliminate all service when no Bx55 buses run to Williamsbridge, making the route 6am-7pm

There is now gaps in service on weekend mornings because the Bx55 isn't there to maintain the late night 20 minute headway. Bx15 on weekends is more frequent before 4am, than immediately after.

MTA didn't bother to add additional early morning weekend Bx15 service to maintain the minimum 20 minute headway on 3 Av between 149 St and Fordham Rd. There are gaps of up to 60 minutes at times after 4am.

"Should they", I'm not too sure....

But at this point, they may as well make a Bx15 LTD....

They're pretty much doing everything to slowly render the Bx55 not as useful....

I hope you guys know, that the Bx55 was not intended to be a Limited stop version of the Bx15. It was intended to replaced the old IRT 3rd Ave EL in 1973.

Yep... ppl. forget that about the Q53 as well (replacing the LIRR).....

I've said it before, and I'll do so again, I wouldn't be surprised if the MTA cuts the Bx15 to either 125th St/Park Avenue or Mott Haven. Even though it would force riders heading to Central Harlem to take the (2), it would improve reliability and efficiency for the Bx15.

I've said it before, and I'll do so again, I wouldn't be surprised if the MTA cuts the Bx15 to either 125th St/Park Avenue or Mott Haven. Even though it would force riders heading to Central Harlem to take the (2), it would improve reliability and efficiency for the Bx15.

It's gotten to the point where I'm no longer surprised about any cut (whether partial or full) that'd may end up happening in this city.....

125th Street and Park, wouldn't even do for a terminal. Traffic along Park and 125th Street is a problem around there.

It could be on Park Avenue, then right on 125th, right on Madison. N/B uses the Madison bridge to 138th St. It would turn right on 3 Av, left on 136th st, left on Lincoln (to stop in front of the (6) station).

Archived