An idea that just might work

DaTransitMan4608

I was thinking that NJ Transit should run BRT on some of the state highways. For example they can use BRT on Route 130 from New Brunswick to Camden on the median, or they can run it on Route 18 from New Brunswick to Long Branch using the median for the freeway section. So here lies the question. Do you think BRT would be a good idea on state routes? Post your thoughts here. :P

Here in South Jersey, several bus routes on major highways [Rt. 1, 38, 70, 130] are essentially BRT routes due mostly to the limited location of bus stops. Many of the stops on these routes tend to be about 1/3 to 1/2 mile apart and tend to be located at major cross steets to these highways.

I was thinking that NJ Transit should run BRT on some of the state highways. For example they can use BRT on Route 130 from New Brunswick to Camden on the median, or they can run it on Route 18 from New Brunswick to Long Branch using the median for the freeway section. So here lies the question. Do you think BRT would be a good idea on state routes? Post your thoughts here. :P

Funny I was wondering when you were gonna bring it up sorry but I already pitched that to NJT in 2010. That was what got me the business card of weinstein in the first place. I can email his assistant at anytime as I wish don't believe me I can email a pic of the business card to you if you wish.

@553 interesting the 403 and 404 are too slow but the 404 is slow due to it's routing rather than it's stops right??? maybe making 405 a LTD version of the 404 or let 407 be the LTD line. The 403 needs less stops?? How will that work out.

Maybe BRT on River Road or Bergenline Ave could work...but then, Bergenline Ave is too narrow and has street parking...

The only way a BRT would ever work is if they widen Bergenline Ave, get rid of parking on the streets and open a parking garage, 6 tiers, and get rid of the Jitneys. And, this is coming from someone that worked the 84, 86, 89, 181, 188, and been on the 22, 156, and 159. It'll never happen. Sounds nice on paper but in reality, that'll be like NJT saying they're gonna reduce the fare prices........that'll happen when pink sheep start rapping like Run DMC, and the Lincoln Tunnel have see-through tubes.

The only way a BRT would ever work is if they widen Bergenline Ave, get rid of parking on the streets and open a parking garage, 6 tiers, and get rid of the Jitneys. And, this is coming from someone that worked the 84, 86, 89, 181, 188, and been on the 22, 156, and 159. It'll never happen. Sounds nice on paper but in reality, that'll be like NJT saying they're gonna reduce the fare prices........that'll happen when pink sheep start rapping like Run DMC, and the Lincoln Tunnel have see-through tubes.

how will getting rid of the jitneys even work?

On rte 4 they run more frequently than the 171!!!!!! I am scared that 171 may get the axe eventually do you think they will cut the 171??

On rte 4 they run more frequently than the 171!!!!!! I am scared that 171 may get the axe eventually do you think they will cut the 171??

I'm talking about Bergenline, not Paterson. Jitneys wont go away unless the state wants them to, then they will and then more people would have to use the 171, 770, 704, or the 190, 74, 72 to get around areas that uses the Jitneys.

No, but turning the heavy used local routes into BRTs; ex.400, 403. It's too many stop every block and every other block on said routes. And it would speed them up. Route 9 has a bus lane but only during rush hour which is silly IMO.

Ok how often do u think a LTD version of the 400 should run from where to where? doesn't deptford mall slow it down severly??

Ok how often do u think a LTD version of the 400 should run from where to where? doesn't deptford mall slow it down severly??

Not every bus goes to the Deptford Mall. IMO they should have those Deptford Mall runs starting and endening there, however for those wanting the mall points east of Deptford Mall would cause them to have to xfer. There isn't enough buses to have a 400LTD, I mean they already axed that 400EXP iirc. The 400LTD however could be the Deptford Mall run because it runs every hr but instead it would start and end there. And have a those 400 Locals runs 5-10mins after every 400LTD so everyone's happy.

Y'know, you'd think mgmt. would consider the opinions of those that are out there actually, literally operating their buses on NJ's roads everyday..... Then again, what better suits the riders & what better suits the operating budget are two different things.... Guess it's moot for me to have even said that, but anyway....

Route 9 has a bus lane but only during rush hour which is silly IMO.

News to me....

What part of route 9 is this; along the #139 route ?

Y'know, you'd think mgmt. would consider the opinions of those that are out there actually, literally operating their buses on NJ's roads everyday..... Then again, what better suits the riders & what better suits the operating budget are two different things.... Guess it's moot for me to have even said that, but anyway....

News to me....

What part of route 9 is this; along the #139 route ?

I can't remember exactly which sectons(I get confused with the towns after Howell) but its along the 139.

don't count on it man. the 171 has pretty good ridership from what I kno & am told. + it also serves the mall & all the businesses along route 4 which is a pretty popular destination 4 ppl especially in NY looking to shop there. so I doubt it will get the axe.

don't count on it man. the 171 has pretty good ridership from what I kno & am told. + it also serves the mall & all the businesses along route 4 which is a pretty popular destination 4 ppl especially in NY looking to shop there. so I doubt it will get the axe.

Well true but 171 was reduced over the years it used to be more frequent so that is not a good sign. However if 171 keeps its ridership that will keep it going. However which segment of the 171 carries the lightest is it beyond GSP when the 171 starts to lose ridership? Especially to other lines to patterson like 712 &770? I would assume based on what u told me that would be the case but someone living in NJ can explain it better than I.

I wish they'd get rid of those Jitneys! I think the 171 also hurts because most ppl going to the GSP area dont want to deal with the dingy GWB terminal. I wish they'd make a 163 variant then went express to GSP via Rt.17.

I wish they'd get rid of those Jitneys! I think the 171 also hurts because most ppl going to the GSP area dont want to deal with the dingy GWB terminal. I wish they'd make a 163 variant then went express to GSP via Rt.17.

Err that is what shortline is for so no need. Ohh where do most ppl going to GSP come from? which nyc borough queens or bronx I know GWB sucks but where do the GWB ppl come from

Err that is what shortline is for so no need. Ohh where do most ppl going to GSP come from? which nyc borough queens or bronx I know GWB sucks but where do the GWB ppl come from

Which one do you think? Hint: Which borough is right across the river from the GWB Bus Terminal?

You may have some riders coming from Queens, but considering it's much easier to get from The Bronx to the GWB terminal than Queens, I'd be willing to bet money more riders come from The Bronx.

Which one do you think? Hint: Which borough is right across the river from the GWB Bus Terminal?

You may have some riders coming from Queens, but considering it's much easier to get from The Bronx to the GWB terminal than Queens, I'd be willing to bet money more riders come from The Bronx.

Would a non stop bus from E 180th to GWB bring in more ridership?

He is talking about the Port Authority! The 163 is self explanatory! Google or Bing it! The Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn are unreasonable terminus areas for NJTransit Busses!

I was talking about in general including NON transit users not just 163!!!

Brooklyn I can agree with but what about LGA that can be a good terminal that can garner more riders than the GWB terminal.

Archived