NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cuting weekend service on n27 bus is mistake. I have seen many n27 trips on Weekend, crowded. This will leave Glen Cove, SeaCliff, Greenvale resident with no bus service since n21 bus doesn't on weekend.

What are talking about? The n21 runs on weekends. I would have much preferred to have the n21 run along the n27 route and serve Roslyn Clock Tower instead of going down its current path through Sea Cliff and Glenwood Landing. Less people would have to walk insane distances to the bus.l that way.

The n16 was always a weekday route for the NCC students and the people the heading towards DSS to take, which is why I'm not surprised that Saturday Service on the route is going to be cut. The riders heading towards Roosevelt Field just don't want to put up with the indirect route around Mitchel Field, and the loop around the college just to get to the Mall. By the time the n16 arrives that Roosvelt Field, the n15, n35, and 27 have already left the the Ring Road.

I do wonder what took NICE so long to notice that weekend ridership on the n1 has been anemic. Without the extension into Jamaica, it's hardly useful as a North-South inter Nassau route.

Without notice, additional cuts have been added:

http://www.nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Schedule-Changes.aspx

Wow

The n48 no longer going to the Quad will surprise absolutely no one. I also believe that n27 weekend cut was discussed at the meeting with the public, but never listed on the website until now.

As for the other three:

-The n1 being cut on weekends is not good, to say the least. There is absolutely no other bus service in most of Elmont and Valley Stream, and both areas have sizable populations of lower-income folks. They're going to need to walk either to Hempstead Turnpike or Merrick Road for service.

-The n16 being eliminated on Saturdays at first seemed very alarming, but in all reality, it isn't inexcusable. While the n1 has few alternates, the n16 has lots of redundancies. The n35 runs twice as often on Saturdays (as of now - not sure how the frequencies will be once April rolls around), and effectively serves most of the same destinations from the Southern State northwards (though between the Southern State and Hempstead terminal, it's a few blocks away in a not-so-great area). The n15 also provides service to/from Rockville Centre as well. The real losers here are those whom live south of the Southern State and north of Lakeview Avenue, as well as those who work at Mercy Medical on Saturdays and walk to/from the n16 (though I'm not sure how many people do this).

-The n33 being eliminated on Sundays is... an odd one. The n33 certainly doesn't get great ridership from what I am aware of, but it's a reasonably short route and fills in a very important gap in the network. Without the n33, a person whom wants to go from Far Rockaway to Long Beach will have to go up to Lynbrook on the n32, transfer to the n4, and then board the n15, or they can fork over a few extra dollars for the train from Lynbrook to Long Beach. I'd personally keep service on this route on Sundays, but end it at the Long Beach city line and time trips to connect with Long Beach Bus service.

Or they'd have to take the n N32 to Hempstead and transfer to the N15

The n16 was always a weekday route for the NCC students and the people the heading towards DSS to take, which is why I'm not surprised that Saturday Service on the route is going to be cut. The riders heading towards Roosevelt Field just don't want to put up with the indirect route around Mitchel Field, and the loop around the college just to get to the Mall. By the time the n16 arrives that Roosvelt Field, the n15, n35, and 27 have already left the the Ring Road.

I do wonder what took NICE so long to notice that weekend ridership on the n1 has been anemic. Without the extension into Jamaica, it's hardly useful as a North-South inter Nassau route.

N1 ridership is fair on the weekends. Riders also use it to get to the Mall. Maybe the bus routing is the issue as it gets stuck in traffic leaving the mall by Best Buy/Walmart.

Wow

Or they'd have to take the n N32 to Hempstead and transfer to the N15

N1 ridership is fair on the weekends. Riders also use it to get to the Mall. Maybe the bus routing is the issue as it gets stuck in traffic leaving the mall by Best Buy/Walmart.

I believe the schedule played an important factor as people heading to the mall on the n1 tend to miss their connection to the n4 or the n6 by a few seconds because of it. Plus the n1 starts too late on Sundays with the first trip to Green Acres at 9:30 am. It should be a 7:30am- 9pm route on Sundays.

What are talking about? The n21 runs on weekends. I would have much preferred to have the n21 run along the n27 route and serve Roslyn Clock Tower instead of going down its current path through Sea Cliff and Glenwood Landing. Less people would have to walk insane distances to the bus.l that way.

I made little mistake. I meant n21 doesn't run frequent. Most n27 riders goes to Roosevelt Field and Hempstead. n27 bus could operate between Glen Cove and Roosevelt Field Mall instead..

I have been on many n27 trips weekend, most of them are full.

Edited by FamousNYLover

I said it a lot of times, reroute n21 via Glen Cove rd all time providing people north of Northern a 30 min headway weekdays and some service weekend. These that want destinations further south could aleast theorically transfer to the n23 at Clock tower or PW Blvd. Anyways some of these cuts are really sneaked in... How is eliminating service on weekend not over the 25% especially the n1?

I said it a lot of times, reroute n21 via Glen Cove rd all time providing people north of Northern a 30 min headway weekdays and some service weekend. These that want destinations further south could aleast theorically transfer to the n23 at Clock tower or PW Blvd. Anyways some of these cuts are really sneaked in... How is eliminating service on weekend not over the 25% especially the n1?

The n1 has 50h28m of service on weekdays, 22h53m Saturday, and 15h52m Sunday. That's 291h5m a week. The weekend component amounts to 38h45m of that, or 13%.

In fact, the only routes where eliminating all weekend service exceeds the 25% rule, assuming no reductions in weekday service, are n55, n71, and n22.

Side note - there is one remaining n20 through trip - 14:36 dp Northern Bl/Plandome Rd on weekdays going to Flushing, no Great Neck diversion.

Edited by Amtrak7

Side note - there is one remaining n20 through trip - 14:36 dp Northern Bl/Plandome Rd on weekdays going to Flushing, no Great Neck diversion.

I don't see it on the schedule (I see a 13:25 & 13:55 trip out of Hicksville, and nothing in between them at Plandome Road). Are you looking at the runsheets?

And I do agree with those who would reroute the n21 over the n27 route north of Northern Blvd. It's a shame they couldn't have it at least run to the RFM, but I guess they figure people can take the LIRR to the n22/24.

I guess NICE don't want to waste mileage running Hempstead buses around the Mitchel Field area when 60's Charles Lindbergh is closed and NCC isn't busy to Roosevelt Field, which explains the n16's Saturday Service being cut along the n27's weekend service. Weekend Enrollment at NCC hasn't increased much to justify the n16 running thru the entire campus and there's an alternative to both the mall and the college in the n35. NICE could just have the n35 serve the Bookstore/Bradley Hall, and Miller Ave on Endo on weekends to compensate for the lack of n16 for the few NCC students that take weekend classes. It will save them the trouble of having to walk all the way to Stewart Ave to catch the bus.

I don't see it on the schedule (I see a 13:25 & 13:55 trip out of Hicksville, and nothing in between them at Plandome Road). Are you looking at the runsheets?

And I do agree with those who would reroute the n21 over the n27 route north of Northern Blvd. It's a shame they couldn't have it at least run to the RFM, but I guess they figure people can take the LIRR to the n22/24.

I see it here...http://www.nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/NiceBus-Schedules/NiceBus-SchedulesApp/NICE-n20_MapSchedule.pdf

The unique portion of the n21 runs along the water for most of its length. That's half its walkshed gone. With the exception of downtown Sea Cliff, it doesn't have the density (relative term!) or commercial development necessary for a reasonably efficient bus route. The n27 has both of those things. It's ridiculous to keep the n21...reroute it over the n27, or keep the n27 and can the n21. It only survives because of the Northern Blvd segment, and though NICE is right that cutting the n21 would require adding n20H short turns, it's a fact of math that running Roslyn-Great Neck takes fewer buses and dollars than Glen Cove-Great Neck!

Edited by Amtrak7

I see it here...http://www.nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/NiceBus-Schedules/NiceBus-SchedulesApp/NICE-n20_MapSchedule.pdf

The unique portion of the n21 runs along the water for most of its length. That's half its walkshed gone. With the exception of downtown Sea Cliff, it doesn't have the density (relative term!) or commercial development necessary for a reasonably efficient bus route. The n27 has both of those things. It's ridiculous to keep the n21...reroute it over the n27, or keep the n27 and can the n21. It only survives because of the Northern Blvd segment, and though NICE is right that cutting the n21 would require adding n20H short turns, it's a fact of math that running Roslyn-Great Neck takes fewer buses and dollars than Glen Cove-Great Neck!

For some reason it doesn't show up on the scroll-down version, but I see it now on the PDF with the "L" designation.

And the thing with the n21 is that without the n27 to interline with in Glen Cove, buses are going to have a long layover (unless it interlines with something else at Great Neck, but the n25 already interlines with the n58, and the n20G works well as a standalone route). Right now, you have 4 buses covering both routes. The n21 would require 2 buses to maintain hourly headways. (Unless, as a compromise they decided on something like 40 minutes, but then that interferes with the headway on Northern Blvd)

Edited by checkmatechamp13

I've been out in Great Neck, and looking at both the n20H and n21 loads, I feel that you can outright eliminate the n21 during most times of the day on weekdays (except rush hours), then use that savings to run the n27 on weekends (but north of Roosevelt Field Mall). That would only need 2 buses at a time, and I think it would suffice. The downside (besides the obvious n21 discontinuation) is that Northern Boulevard gets shafted on weekends east of Great Neck.

Speaking of N20G/H , how are those routes doing? Has the N20G improved Flushing-Great Neck service?

Much better, than the old n20. Buses are no longer 30-60 min late, and connection went smoothly most of the time, especially with real time bus tracking, you can determine if you want to get off at LIRR or Middle Neck Road. However Limited Service should definitely be provided aleast from Glen Cove Rd. The biggest problem is the transfers... Where you may have to pay double at Flushing due to their programming.

I've been out in Great Neck, and looking at both the n20H and n21 loads, I feel that you can outright eliminate the n21 during most times of the day on weekdays (except rush hours), then use that savings to run the n27 on weekends (but north of Roosevelt Field Mall). That would only need 2 buses at a time, and I think it would suffice. The downside (besides the obvious n21 discontinuation) is that Northern Boulevard gets shafted on weekends east of Great Neck.

How many people north of Roosevelt Field Mall along Roslyn Road take the n27 on weekends?

to note here if the n79 is eliminated and the n72 is truncated to Farmingdale then there will ONLY be ONE access to Suffok County and that is by taking either the n54/55, n71 or the n19 if coming from Freeport (beforehand the n4 from Jamaica) and thake from there the s33 towards Happauge and then the s62 to Riverhead...so at final you must take the 4:00 s62 if you are to come to Nassau county to arrive Hauppauge at 5:50pm and take the s33 to Sunrise Mall...the S54,S58 or the s66 would have no sense for connection to NICE buses...there is option 2 you can take the s66 to Patchogue and then the s40 ad there the s20 but like the s62 you must leave no later then 4:00pm

Other options include taking the LIRR to Huntington from Hicksvill pay 3.00 And from there take HART 10 to Commack Plaza and then the s58 to Riverhead and pints east...NICE must be obsolete it has bring harsh cuts to what was beforehand MTA LIB and the name before...with MTA  NICE wouldve not truncated the n19 and also with MTA the n72 last run wouldve leave Babylon at 9:30pm and not 9:15pm a time not coordinated to the semilast S40

to note here if the n79 is eliminated and the n72 is truncated to Farmingdale then there will ONLY be ONE access to Suffok County and that is by taking either the n54/55, n71 or the n19 if coming from Freeport (beforehand the n4 from Jamaica) and thake from there the s33 towards Happauge and then the s62 to Riverhead...so at final you must take the 4:00 s62 if you are to come to Nassau county to arrive Hauppauge at 5:50pm and take the s33 to Sunrise Mall...the S54,S58 or the s66 would have no sense for connection to NICE buses...there is option 2 you can take the s66 to Patchogue and then the s40 ad there the s20 but like the s62 you must leave no later then 4:00pm

Other options include taking the LIRR to Huntington from Hicksvill pay 3.00 And from there take HART 10 to Commack Plaza and then the s58 to Riverhead and pints east...NICE must be obsolete it has bring harsh cuts to what was beforehand MTA LIB and the name before...with MTA  NICE wouldve not truncated the n19 and also with MTA the n72 last run wouldve leave Babylon at 9:30pm and not 9:15pm a time not coordinated to the semilast S40

The n19 is also being eliminated this April presumably because Sunrise Mall isn't doing too good, even more so with JCPennys closing in June. I'm not even sure that the connection to Suffolk Transit, or even HART is enough to justify keeping some of the Nassau-Suffolk routes because everything east of 110 feels so underrated and quiet.

I think you have to look at the bigger picture than your fantrips out to Riverhead and the Hamptons and whatnot. If you're that dumb to travel 60 miles past the city limits with only a MetroCard and a couple of dollars on you, I don't know what to tell you.

In any case, if you're so intent on avoiding the LIRR, you can take the 6:45PM S58 to Commack, then take the 8:25PM S54 to Walt Whitman, then take the 9:30PM S1 to Conklin Street and the 10:48PM n72 back to Hempstead. (Assuming they don't cut back on the span of the n72 after the cuts).

As I said before, the LIRR from Port Jefferson to Hicksville is only $5.75 ($5.50 the last time I brought it up). Taking the S62 to Port Jefferson and catching the LIRR there and then taking NICE would save you a lot of time and give you more flexibility for only a little bit extra in money. But hey, it's your life....

Speaking of N20G/H , how are those routes doing? Has the N20G improved Flushing-Great Neck service?

Much better, than the old n20. Buses are no longer 30-60 min late, and connection went smoothly most of the time, especially with real time bus tracking, you can determine if you want to get off at LIRR or Middle Neck Road. However Limited Service should definitely be provided aleast from Glen Cove Rd. The biggest problem is the transfers... Where you may have to pay double at Flushing due to their programming.

I agree with n21 bus elimination but n27 bus is busy on weekend too.

n20G/H is not better. It's better for Great Neck resident, but most people from Macy's, Americama Mall, Whole Food, Broadway Malll, Hicksville, NYIT, CW Post, SUNY Old Westbury, they're forced to play frogger on red light at Northern Blvd/Middle Neck Rd to catch their bus.

One of security guard at Americana Mall doing crosswalk duty told me this mall want direct n20 bus back and they saw n20H bus is hurting the business.

n20H bus is loosing ridership due to transfer mishap.

So everytime when I come out of Vegan Long Island Meetup at Jericho Whole Food, I always take 8:15pm n20H Great Neck bus because he continue as n20G Flushing at 9:20pm. When he reaches Great Neck, he always pull over on Flushing-boung n20G bus stop.

How many people north of Roosevelt Field Mall along Roslyn Road take the n27 on weekends?

When n27 was shuttle, n23 bus became overcrowded. Sometimes n23 Hempstead missed connection, forcing longer commutes because weekend n27 is fair and sometimes busy. Most n27 riders don't go to Great Neck. They go to Roslyn, Roosevelt Field.

Edited by FamousNYLover

n20G/H is not better. It's better for Great Neck resident, but most people from Macy's, Americama Mall, Whole Food, Broadway Malll, Hicksville, NYIT, CW Post, SUNY Old Westbury, they're forced to play frogger on red light at Northern Blvd/Middle Neck Rd to catch their bus.

One of security guard at Americana Mall doing crosswalk duty told me this mall want direct n20 bus back and they saw n20H bus is hurting the business.

So everytime when I come out of Vegan Long Island Meetup at Jericho Whole Food, I always take 8:15pm n20H Great Neck bus because he continue as n20G Flushing at 9:20pm. When he reaches Great Neck, he always pull over on Flushing-boung n20G bus stop.

If NICE ever does bother to restructure the n20 again it's most likely going to be a Roslyn/CW Post-Flushing route with no more trips to Hicksville. The n20H can't hide behind the colleges between Glen Cove Road and Broadway Mall forever.

https://youtu.be/sjkWxAfUMoc

When n27 was shuttle, n23 bus became overcrowded. Sometimes n23 Hempstead missed connection, forcing longer commutes because weekend n27 is fair and sometimes busy. Most n27 riders don't go to Great Neck. They go to Roslyn, Roosevelt Field.

Regarding the n20G/H the reliability of the route improved significantly, but buses need 5-10 more min of running time. 5 min late is better than 40 min late. (On weekday connections are plentiful). Regarding n27/21 by detouring the n21 we provide Glen Cove with 7 days a week service. For riders needing service further south they could transfer to the n23 to Mineola where connections to Hempstead and Roosevelt Field are available.

Most of the new PDF's have been posted: http://www.nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Schedule-Changes.aspx

Many of the original April proposals that were made in December appear to be in effect.

• The n21 doesn't run Sundays
  • The n81 (rebranded Sunrise Mall Community Shuttle) runs rush hours only
  • The n54/55 aren't going to Amityville anymore
  • The n58 stops at 9pm.
  • The n6X midday NCC shuttles are gone.
  • The n23 runs hourly middays
  • The n24 isn't going to East Meadow anymore
  • Saturday n48/49 service is reduced to every 45 minutes combined.

Compared to the original April proposal, the n22A, Mercy shuttle, n21 midday/Saturday, and n1 off peak weekday are retained. Unknown what changes, if any, will take place on the n25, n26, n27, n35, or Mercy shuttle, as those schedules are yet to be posted.

Edited by Amtrak7