Shots Fired At MTA Bus In The Bronx

Acela Express

And a few people around here say Crime is down.... They just make me laugh!! smh.

I know that area. Projects on 174th Street. Hoody spot. Not the best place to go late. (After 8pm).

Now that the warm is coming up, the hood rats are coming out of there nests to start trouble in the city.. While they said it was a gunmen, but things will be more interesting for more folks out there, as time comes.

And a few people around here say Crime is down.... They just make me laugh!! smh.

I know that area. Projects on 174th Street. Hoody spot. Not the best place to go late. (After 8pm).

Now that the warm is coming up, the hood rats are coming out of there nests to start trouble in the city.. While they said it was a gunmen, but things will be more interesting for more folks out there, as time comes.

Someone restrain Aqualaquisha, Ja'Quillery and Pam please....

That's the one thing that scares me about commuting via the express bus to Riverdale. There are so many project buildings that we have to pass by to get to Riverdale that it freaks me out. I'm still trying to get used to that but I'm shocked that this sort of thing doesn't happen more often. I was having a conversation yesterday with a friend about this as we were on our way to my apartment. It is insane to have blocks and blocks and blocks of nothing by housing projects because it does nothing but fester these sorts of incidents. Sure it can happen anywhere, but the chances of it happening is certainly much higher.

That's the one thing that scares me about commuting via the express bus to Riverdale. There are so many project buildings that we have to pass by to get to Riverdale that it freaks me out. I'm still trying to get used to that but I'm shocked that this sort of thing doesn't happen more often. I was having a conversation yesterday with a friend about this as we were on our way to my apartment. It is insane to have blocks and blocks and blocks of nothing by housing projects because it does nothing but fester these sorts of incidents. Sure it can happen anywhere, but the chances of it happening is certainly much higher.

Look, we all pass by housing projects sometimes, whether in a car, "your" express bus, or a local bus. You can't avoid driving past a housing project if you live in or even visit NY, plain and simple. You don't want to drive past projects? Move to Alaska.

Look, we all pass by housing projects sometimes, whether in a car, "your" express bus, or a local bus. You can't avoid driving past a housing project if you live in or even visit NY, plain and simple. You don't want to drive past projects? Move to Alaska.

That wasn't the point genius. There is some form of lower income housing just about everywhere, even in Alaska. In parts of the South you have the trailers and such. Of course we have to drive past projects, but more can be done to make them safer and having hoards of projects for blocks only increases the likelihood of events like this due to the number of people packed into a small space. Housing projects should be smaller in height and more spread out.

If that actually scares you like that, you need to move out of New York City, period.

That wasn't the point genius. There is some form of lower income housing just about everywhere, even in Alaska. In parts of the South you have the trailers and such. Of course we have to drive past projects, but more can be done to make them safer and having hoards of projects for blocks only increases the likelihood of events like this due to the number of people packed into a small space. Housing projects should be smaller in height and more spread out.

"Welcome to the real world." It's a cesspool, most of us have to deal with passing by unsavory places. The rule of thumb is to not stick out like a sore thumb and to 'blend in'. Ie: don't wear anything expensive/flashy. And be self confident, if you show fear, they will pounce on you thinking you are an easy target.

If that actually scares you like that, you need to move out of New York City, period.

"Welcome to the real world." It's a cesspool, most of us have to deal with passing by unsavory places. The rule of thumb is to not stick out like a sore thumb and to 'blend in'. Ie: don't wear anything expensive/flashy. And be self confident, if you show fear, they will pounce on you thinking you are an easy target.

Thank you both for Survival 101. What would I ever do without it. I've waited for buses at housing projects for years, so I think I'm pretty well able to take of myself. The point was not about housing projects themselves but the amount of them for blocks on end and the height of them. The Todt Hill projects are much smaller in height and actually seem to be very safe. I never had a problem waiting for the bus there. Where the city has made housing projects smaller crime has dropped and I'm willing to bet that the same would happen in that area along with more police of course.

Some of the worst neighborhoods in the city have no housing projects, such as East Tremont and West Farms. They have tenement buildings, which are essentially the same thing, but the point is that in NYC, where land is at a premium, you're forced to build densely.

Thank you both for Survival 101. What would I ever do without it. I've waited for buses at housing projects for years, so I think I'm pretty well able to take of myself. The point was not about housing projects themselves but the amount of them for blocks on end and the height of them. The Todt Hill projects are much smaller in height and actually seem to be very safe. I never had a problem waiting for the bus there. Where the city has made housing projects smaller crime has dropped and I'm willing to bet that the same would happen in that area along with more police of course.

Lowering the height doesn't guarantee anything. All SI projects are relatively short (the tallest are the Stapleton Houses, which are 7 stories) and yet the safety varies tremendously. I remember feeling intimidated walking through Stapleton (not even near the projects), and yet I walked by the Todt Hill Houses without even realizing they were projects.

And there are other areas where the housing projects are spread out, and the crime rate is still very high. A lot of Southern cities have housing projects that are similar to rowhouses (in fact a lot of cities have those), and they're still very dangerous. I was actually surprised to learn that because I always associated projects with tall, bland buildings like in NYC, but that is actually the case in most cities nowadays.

Hell, even in the example above, I felt more comfortable by the higher-density Todt Hill Houses than in the lower-density parts of Stapleton.

Some of the worst neighborhoods in the city have no housing projects, such as East Tremont and West Farms. They have tenement buildings, which are essentially the same thing, but the point is that in NYC, where land is at a premium, you're forced to build densely.

Lowering the height doesn't guarantee anything. All SI projects are relatively short (the tallest are the Stapleton Houses, which are 7 stories) and yet the safety varies.

And there are other areas where the housing projects are spread out, and the crime rate is still very high. A lot of Southern cities have housing projects that are similar to rowhouses (in fact a lot of cities have those), and they're still very dangerous. I was actually surprised to learn that because I always associated projects with tall, bland buildings like in NYC, but that is actually the case in most cities nowadays.

Do you actually READ my posts? I said in combination with other actions. You're arguing about nothing dude.

Do they know the reason why the gunman even shot at the bus in the first place?

And damn, 40 people riding a bus on a Sunday at 4:30AM

It's amazing how much ridership some routes can get, even at night. I remember Acela Express talking about how the overnight runs on the B46 often have standees.

MTA bus windows, however, are designed to stop bullets from entering (there is plexiglass in the middle between two hard panes). The bullets will nick the window...but go no further. (This is probably not the case with the ex-NYCDOT O5 CNGs or the ex-Bee-Line buses, however.)

Do they know the reason why the gunman even shot at the bus in the first place?

And damn, 40 people riding a bus on a Sunday at 4:30AM

I'm going to guess that this was gang-related and that the shooter probably missed his intended target.

It's amazing how much ridership some routes can get, even at night. I remember Acela Express talking about how the overnight runs on the B46 often have standees.

The B35 is also like that along with the B15

smh.... "this is why we can't have anything nice"*

*sarcasm btw.

Dude, get the hell out my head...I was saying that statement all day ;)

MTA bus windows, however, are designed to stop bullets from entering (there is plexiglass in the middle between two hard panes). The bullets will nick the window...but go no further. (This is probably not the case with the ex-NYCDOT O5 CNGs or the ex-Bee-Line buses, however.)

Yeah I know... I've actually seen pierced windows from what was clearly from a bullet on some of the SI express bus years ago. Must've been from those projects over there in Mariners' Harbor/Arlington since that's the only place that I can think of that an express bus passes near regularly and has lots of gun violence. Or maybe it was somewhere in Port Richmond.

Yeah I know... I've actually seen pierced windows from what was clearly from a bullet on some of the SI express bus years ago. Must've been from those projects over there in Mariners' Harbor/Arlington since that's the only place that I can think of that an express bus passes near regularly and has lots of gun violence. Or maybe it was somewhere in Port Richmond.

I actually remember an article about it and it was people by Fingerboard Road (I don't know what that would be. Arrochar? Rosebank?) shooting buses with BB guns. It had nothing to do with gang violence.

Boy, you just love looking down on those North Shore neighborhoods, don't you?

I actually remember an article about it and it was people by Fingerboard Road (I don't know what that would be. Arrochar? Rosebank?) shooting buses with BB guns. It had nothing to do with gang violence.

Boy, you just love looking down on those North Shore neighborhoods, don't you?

I remember those incidents too and those shattered the windows and the incidents took place in Rosebank. I'm talking about something completely different. This is going back to 2007 or so. I never said it had anything to do with gang violence.

In fact I didn't say what it had to do with so you need to stop putting things out there that I didn't say. I simply stated that perhaps the incidents took place in Port Richmond or Mariners' Harbor ONLY because those areas have express buses that pass through them and have high crime rates compared to other parts of Staten Island, but in reality the incidents could've taken place anywhere.

Archived