LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going through the last month's railroad committee minutes and I stumbled across this: 

This summer, the major track work on LIRR focuses on the Port Jefferson Branch with an upcoming six-weekend project spanning July and August to install new running rail, third rail, switches and 12,000 new concrete ties between Huntington and Port Jefferson. And it’s important to point out that we are bundling all of this work on the Port Jefferson branch — the concrete ties, switch replacement and various maintenance work projects — under the same outages to minimize customer inconvenience and the need for future outages.

Does this mean they're finally preparing for electrification if they installing third rail?

10 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

I was going through the last month's railroad committee minutes and I stumbled across this: 

Does this mean they're finally preparing for electrification if they installing third rail?

10 hours ago, Jsunflyguy said:

The scope includes Huntington, a place with 3rd rail.  Wouldn't get too excited

Maybe they should reconfigure Huntington to an island platform station to have cross platform transfers, and more frequent diesel shuttles/ connections?

I took a peak at the Far Rockaway ticket by trying to book a ticket from Penn to Far Rockaway. It looks like what I suspected is true it's geo-fenced to Far Rockaway. Next time I'm in Penn I'll try to see if I can buy it from there or the TVM's

44 minutes ago, IAlam said:

I took a peak at the Far Rockaway ticket by trying to book a ticket from Penn to Far Rockaway. It looks like what I suspected is true it's geo-fenced to Far Rockaway. Next time I'm in Penn I'll try to see if I can buy it from there or the TVM's

It's mainly for Far Rockaway residents and I'm pretty sure they mentioned you can only buy it in the vicinity of the Far Rockaway station. The TVMs at Far Rockaway have the Far Rock ticket but the ones at Penn do not or shouldn't rather. This means if you're a Far Rock resident and you're trying to buy a ticket, you have to buy a roundtrip Far Rock ticket if you want to take advantage of the deal going back. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I noticed something today on the Atlantic Branch.

At Atlantic Terminal,  I boarded a train and walked to the front and I still had cellular service. (Usually, reception drops once you pass the rear two cars.) My reception did not drop for the entire trip to Jamaica.  When did the tunnel get wired for service?

7 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

So, I noticed something today on the Atlantic Branch.

At Atlantic Terminal,  I boarded a train and walked to the front and I still had cellular service. (Usually, reception drops once you pass the rear two cars.) My reception did not drop for the entire trip to Jamaica.  When did the tunnel get wired for service?

If you have Verizon, they announced this a little over a year ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChdK7RcLioi/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Is there a reason (MTA) uses a different format to discuss service changes on west of Hudson routes?

Pretty sure that information is relayed to them by NJT and so all they do it copy and paste it onto their service change website. After all, the crews are the ones operating it West of Hudson so if anybody knows whats going on whether that be equipment trouble, downed trees, lack of crew it's the crews or NJT itself.

• 2 weeks later...

I just now realized there's only an eight dollar difference between Metro North and Amtrak to travel one way between NYC and Poughkeepsie (Metro Morth costs 20 bucks one way where Amtrak costs 28 bucks).

Between NYC and New Haven, a lot of Amtrak trains have the exact same fare as the Metro North (17 bucks).

That's an pretty good deal for Amtrak standards. 

Been wanting to fan Amtrak to Poughkeepsie and New Haven for a while now (already rode Metro North between NYC and POU & NH years ago).

Edited by trainfan22

I finally got a chance to poke around through Grand Central Madison and it rely is beautiful. I'm a fast walker so it didn't seem like too long of a walk, but if I needed it regularly I'd need to find the quickest route. 

It did seem like a ghost town. Very few customers going in or out, but MTAPD was posted everywhere which was nice. It was off peak, but even when I walked into MNRR area, it was so much busier (and I do realize how many more trains there are for MNRR than LIRR, but still) 

I think there was also an Iphone launch or something bc the apple store had a huge line

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I finally got a chance to poke around through Grand Central Madison and it rely is beautiful. I'm a fast walker so it didn't seem like too long of a walk, but if I needed it regularly I'd need to find the quickest route. 

It did seem like a ghost town. Very few customers going in or out, but MTAPD was posted everywhere which was nice. It was off peak, but even when I walked into MNRR area, it was so much busier (and I do realize how many more trains there are for MNRR than LIRR, but still) 

I think there was also an Iphone launch or something bc the apple store had a huge line

Yup, I think it was the iPhone 27 or whatever number they’re up to now. (I’m an android guy :D) 

Anywho, kind sucks that Danbury is gonna lose two trains with this new schedule change.

On 9/19/2023 at 5:46 PM, trainfan22 said:

I just now realized there's only an eight dollar difference between Metro North and Amtrak to travel one way between NYC and Poughkeepsie (Metro Morth costs 20 bucks one way where Amtrak costs 28 bucks).

Between NYC and New Haven, a lot of Amtrak trains have the exact same fare as the Metro North (17 bucks).

That's an pretty good deal for Amtrak standards. 

Been wanting to fan Amtrak to Poughkeepsie and New Haven for a while now (already rode Metro North between NYC and POU & NH years ago).

There is yield management on Amtrak though, so last minute tickets are usually very expensive, but if you can plan weeks ahead, its better than MNR, but if you are spontaneous and last min, MNR pricing is still cheaper and more flexible as they usually have more trains

On 9/24/2023 at 12:27 AM, Lawrence St said:

Yup, I think it was the iPhone 27 or whatever number they’re up to now. (I’m an android guy :D) 

Anywho, kind sucks that Danbury is gonna lose two trains with this new schedule change.

Haha, android all the way for me too

Yeah, those cuts are rough in CT this round!

Six additional Siemens chargers have been tacked onto the Metro-North order for a total of 33. The CDOT will be funding the cost of these. 

Still some potential options to be tacked on as well. Up to 14 additional can be added, some for LIRR and some for NYSDOT.

https://www.railwayage.com/mechanical/locomotives/more-siemens-sc-42dms-for-metro-north/?fbclid=IwAR0gy6uKO0GCxkitTzL8gJ832xLwiKD6IiaFcyeyNOCxlaIHFP3rSFdmwhQ_aem_AQlhXtBJ0SmotwpTNoU7lJ7ojPOQItMIj23QK7dmT6LhMtqFz6n6YmlWSzglFtgi5-U