LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, xD4nn said:

A bridge.

In that case, there'd better be a plan to fix this ASAP. Unlike ESA's clearance restrictions, this is something that is fairly easy to address, which would be a very good idea if ConnDOT wants to do even a bit of rolling stock cycling and/or direct service to/from New York.

On 6/3/2023 at 5:13 PM, Lex said:

In that case, there'd better be a plan to fix this ASAP. Unlike ESA's clearance restrictions, this is something that is fairly easy to address, which would be a very good idea if ConnDOT wants to do even a bit of rolling stock cycling and/or direct service to/from New York.

There's no point. SLE hasn't returned to Stamford since March 2020 (currently ends at NH) and CDOT is not going to spend money to fix something they wont use to it's full potential. 

On 6/6/2023 at 10:10 AM, Lawrence St said:

There's no point. SLE hasn't returned to Stamford since March 2020 (currently ends at NH) and CDOT is not going to spend money to fix something they wont use to it's full potential. 

I mean, depending on when the bridge needs to be replaced, the clearance issue could be considered when building the new bridge.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Does the Mountak Branch operate via Hunters Point Avenue or via Richmond Hill to get to Jamaica?

To my understanding, the physical branch runs through Richmond Hill (though the actual trains run through Hunterspoint Avenue)

17 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I mean, depending on when the bridge needs to be replaced, the clearance issue could be considered when building the new bridge.

To my understanding, the physical branch runs through Richmond Hill (though the actual trains run through Hunterspoint Avenue)

So the actual branch between those two points are abandoned?

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s my idea for West Penn Access:

Option 1: Rebuild the southbound platform at Riverdale to become an island platform, with the former MOW track becoming the terminal track for Penn Station trains. This increases flexibility and keeps the construction costs down.

Option 2: Upgrade Yonkers to become a terminal station, allowing trains from Penn Station to terminate here.

Thoughts?

On 6/29/2023 at 3:56 PM, Lawrence St said:

Here’s my idea for West Penn Access:

Option 1: Rebuild the southbound platform at Riverdale to become an island platform, with the former MOW track becoming the terminal track for Penn Station trains. This increases flexibility and keeps the construction costs down.

Option 2: Upgrade Yonkers to become a terminal station, allowing trains from Penn Station to terminate here.

Thoughts?

That doesn't make any sense considering that only M8s are allowed in Penn due to overrunning third rail.

11 minutes ago, xD4nn said:

Thats still the same reason lol. Empire connection uses overruning and the 1 track 2% grade with a 15 mph speed restriction will bottleneck everything.

Why do you think they’re rebuilding the line to bring the Hudson line down there?

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

No (E) at Van Wyck, Suphtin or Parsons- Archer this weekend, so you can ride the LIRR for free between Jamaica and Penn this weekend :D Just show the C/R your metrocard.

And keep the service alert open on your phone....most of the time when I had to show my metrocard, the C/Rs aren't aware of any cross-honoring occurring.

10 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

And keep the service alert open on your phone....most of the time when I had to show my metrocard, the C/Rs aren't aware of any cross-honoring occurring.

How do they even know money on the metrocards...Im just curious...

21 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Just a heads up, the LIRR C/Rs did not get the text on their work phone about the cross honoring today, they won't accept what the website says. I used to have the service change open on my phone too in years past but the cr I had didn't accept it this time, basically said he let me slide this time but next time I have to pay.

Edited by trainfan22

4 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Just a heads up, the LIRR C/Rs did not get the text on their work phone about the cross honoring today, they won't accept what the website says. I used to have the service change open on my phone too in years past but the cr I had didn't accept it this time, basically said he let me slide this time but next time I have to pay.

Typical.