Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The (Q) is getting more frequent service on weekends now. Trains will run every 8 minutes during midday on Saturday and Sunday instead of every 10 minutes.

That's already been happening since the November changes.

I guess whoever wrote this was instructed to make the route as detailed as possible as it pertains to the new 2nd Avenue line. It is incredibly verbose when compared to other lines with similar service patterns though.

The blurb basically states every station that the (Q) stops in Manhattan during normal hours. Probably just to make it clear what stops are available for new SAS riders.

Pardon my terrible screen cap abilities, but here is the Sunday (Q) times between 10:30 and 11 for those interested...

31904272946_9f062c6ddf_o.png

And could you make the blurb any wordier?

On the fourth line, it shows that the (Q) takes only 7 minutes to get from Canal Street to 34 Street–Herald Square. In all the other instances, it takes 9 minutes. What gives? The 4-station segment from Lexington Avenue–63 Street to 96 Street only takes 5 minutes.

On the fourth line, it shows that the (Q) takes only 7 minutes to get from Canal Street to 34 Street–Herald Square. In all the other instances, it takes 9 minutes. What gives? The 4-station segment from Lexington Avenue–63 Street to 96 Street only takes 5 minutes.

That might be an error with the time point, because if you notice, all other trips take 8 minutes between DeKalb and Canal, while that one takes 10 minutes.

Pardon my terrible screen cap abilities, but here is the Sunday (Q) times between 10:30 and 11 for those interested...

31904272946_9f062c6ddf_o.png

And could you make the blurb any wordier?

31904271996_06f24565bf_b.jpg

I guess the one going to 2nd will have it on display? I'll probably take the (F) to Lex for an easy transfer.

I guess whoever wrote this was instructed to make the route as detailed as possible as it pertains to the new 2nd Avenue line. It is incredibly verbose when compared to other lines with similar service patterns though.

This is so that new users, and those who live on the Upper East Side will be familiar with where the (Q) goes. Many riders know only the routes they live on or need to use for commuting.  Also, it looks like it's designed to entice riders to choose the (Q) over the (4)(5)(6) if it isn't absolutely necessary.

Hey guys!

I'm new to this forum, but I've been checking the forum for a few years and made an account months back, but never really signed in.

Anyways, I have two questions about SAS that I thought of out of curiosity (maybe someone can offer their two cents):

1) Does the MTA intend on renovating the rest of Lexington/63rd St, perhaps through 2017?

2) Is the future 116th St station in Phase II, knowing it wasn't part of the 1970's SAS plan, going to be an island platform station, requiring a more serious alteration to the already built tunnel? I'd say that the MTA should build the station with two side platforms instead, leaving the middle trackway for storage. I think that will be much more simpler and less costly.

Hey guys!

I'm new to this forum, but I've been checking the forum for a few years and made an account months back, but never really signed in.

Anyways, I have two questions about SAS that I thought of out of curiosity (maybe someone can offer their two cents):

1) Does the MTA intend on renovating the rest of Lexington/63rd St, perhaps through 2017?

2) Is the future 116th St station in Phase II, knowing it wasn't part of the 1970's SAS plan, going to be an island platform station, requiring a more serious alteration to the already built tunnel? I'd say that the MTA should build the station with two side platforms instead, leaving the middle trackway for storage. I think that will be much more simpler and less costly.

I'm pretty new too. Anyways:

1) There's currently no known plans to renovate the rest of the station.

2) I saw a track map some time ago and 116th St still had an island platform like the rest of the stations. However, 125th Street will be a three track station with two island platforms, and the layup tracks north of the curve to 125th will be capable of storing around nine (Q) or (T) trains.

Assuming it wasn't an error, maybe they're giving that train some cushion time to merge with the (N) at DeKalb.

2) I saw a track map some time ago and 116th St still had an island platform like the rest of the stations. However, 125th Street will be a three track station with two island platforms, and the layup tracks north of the curve to 125th will be capable of storing around nine (Q) or (T) trains.

Thanks! I've been wondering about the first one since platform-level at Lex/63rd, everything is ready to go. Hopefully they'll get to finish off the rest eventually.

Hey guys!

1) The whole Lex/63rd is already renovated (aleast the platform). 2) 116 St is Phase II I think they need to widen the tunnel to add a larger island platform, which means redoing the entire section,

My money is on the 125 St terminal being 2 tracks for some easy cost savings. There would be tail tracks west of the 125 St terminal, plus 2nd Ave tracks north of the curve for the future Bronx provision, that would store the trains.

My money is on the 125 St terminal being 2 tracks for some easy cost savings. There would be tail tracks west of the 125 St terminal, plus 2nd Ave tracks north of the curve for the future Bronx provision, that would store the trains.

Who knows? Easy cost savings, yes, but if/when the (T) starts running, they'll need 3 tracks for decent terminal capacity.

Crowding in the Bronx is comparable with other parts of the system. The Lex in Manhattan isn't. For a Bronx extension to do any good without a station at 125th/Lex, you'd need to have connections to at least the (2)(5)(6) and probably the (4) as well. That's 2 more stations, minimum, plus an underwater tunnel. We're probably talking 2-3 times the total cost for the phase. A station at 125th would also make it easy to construct a crosstown extension to connect to the (1)(2)(3)(A)(B)(C)(D), which would greatly improve mobility and allow customers to get around issues.

You see, the idea behind SAS isn't only to get people on the Upper East Side to take the new line. The idea, Phase 2 and beyond, is to get people going to destinations along the (Q) (and eventually the (T)) to transfer at 125th Street, north of the most-crowded section of the Lex. If there is a station at 2nd and 125th, there won't be an easy transfer to the Lex, so Bronx traffic wouldn't use SAS.

Crowding in the Bronx is comparable with other parts of the system. The Lex in Manhattan isn't. For a Bronx extension to do any good without a station at 125th/Lex, you'd need to have connections to at least the (2)(5)(6) and probably the (4) as well. That's 2 more stations, minimum, plus an underwater tunnel. We're probably talking 2-3 times the total cost for the phase. A station at 125th would also make it easy to construct a crosstown extension to connect to the (1)(2)(3)(A)(B)(C)(D), which would greatly improve mobility and allow customers to get around issues.

You see, the idea behind SAS isn't only to get people on the Upper East Side to take the new line. The idea, Phase 2 and beyond, is to get people going to destinations along the (Q) (and eventually the (T)) to transfer at 125th Street, north of the most-crowded section of the Lex. If there is a station at 2nd and 125th, there won't be an easy transfer to the Lex, so Bronx traffic wouldn't use SAS.

But again a lot of the crowding on the (4) and (5) comes from the Bronx. With a extension to 3rd Avenue we hope that those that want the West side of Manhattan will Transfer at 3 AV instead of somewhere in Midtown and also catch riders that use the existing service to the new service in the Bronx (something a station at 125/Lex won't do)This alleviates the loads on the (2)(5) and also the (6). The 125 Street turn is super expensive having to go underneath both Lex AV and Metro North. While a crosstown line is a valuable asset to have the topography of the area (west of the CPW Line) will cause the subway to dig either extremely deep underground, or as a elevated structure which will cause a huge impact to business. A provision tunnel should be left just in case we like to extend the line in the future across 125 St Edited by Mtatransit

Contrary to most people here, I think an SAS stop at Lex Ave - 125 St will be a very successful transfer station. The caveat is that the transfer only becomes useful in Phase 3 when the (T) serves the employment areas between 55 St and 14 St.

Didn't they also want Hanover Square to have three tracks?

If the 34 St - Hudson Yards terminal works with 2 tracks, so can 125 St and Hanover Square.

Last plan I saw for Hanover Square had it as 2 tracks. 125th only needs 3 tracks if the (T) doesn't go straight to the Bronx because 2 lines would be using it. Every line running at capacity with all trains turning at the same two track station has terminal backups. We don't want that on Second Avenue right when it opens.

In response to what I said before, I am well aware that Lex/63 is renovated at both platform levels, I am referring to the original entrances, token booth area, and stairway/escalators down through the Lexington Ave entrance, since those have been largely left untouched. As for 116th St, I suggest that two side platforms be built since the existing tunnel is a three trackway tunnel as I read somewhere (can someone confirm?). It would be easier to "in-fill" a station rather than radically rip up the portion of tunnel where the station belongs to put a wide island platform. Until officlal plans come out concerning Phase II, which I hope shouldn't be so far off, we can only speculate.

Who knows? Easy cost savings, yes, but if/when the (T) starts running, they'll need 3 tracks for decent terminal capacity.

I second that. 34th St/Hudson Yards only serves one service, although you have both the (7) local and the <7> express during weekday rush hours, but that's a different story since both run on the same tracks. 125th St should be as it is, without reducing a platform and a track. As for Hanover Sq, if sometime in the distant future the MTA decides to run a Queens-bound 2nd Ave service alongside the future (T), then I can see it be 3 tracked with two Island platform. Other than that, we'll have to see with time. We don't want to daydream too much!

That’s one way to limit themselves so that they’ll be forced to have a Bronx extension sooner. Having two tracks is going to make it hard to run good (Q) and (T) service when phase 3 is up and running. Either that, or a Queens Boulevard route will be created to fill in the gap south of 63 Street.