Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my opinion. I think phase I will relieve the overcrowding of the (4), (5), and (6) trains coming from Brooklyn since those living there will now have a second option of going to the upper east side. I believe Lexington Avenue trains coming from the Bronx and into Brooklyn will still be overcrowded.

I think once Phase 3 opens, that is when we will see a reduce of overcrowding of (4), (5), and (6) trains from the Bronx, since Bronx riders will have a second option working downtown.

Regarding phase 2, it shouldn't take that long to build since there are existing tunnels built in the 1970's. It would be a total waste not to use them, not to mention requiring a sharp downgrade from the phase I tunnels in order to go underneath the segments. I am skeptical on why I am hearing that phase 2 will cost 6 billion dollars.

I heard the 11:08 From Stillwell was not the first train, but the second train  :lol:

Whoever waited south of 57th never got to ride the first train, the first train was a put in at 57th. From what I saw in a Youtube video, that first car on the 11:08 was stuffed with railfans, boy did they get screwed.

Edited by trainfan22

I heard the 11:08 From Stillwell was not the first train, but the second train :lol:

Whoever waited south of 57th never got to ride the first train, the first train was a put in at 57th. From what I saw in a Youtube video, that first car on the 11:08 was stuffed with railfans, boy did they get screwed.

yeah that was the first uptown Train, AND It got delayed at Lex AV/63 Street.There were 2 trains going southbound at 12 Noon. The (Q) train is running with extremely uneven headway today. Edited by Mtatransit

I am skeptical on why I am hearing that phase 2 will cost 6 billion dollars.

It's due to the exorbitant curve towards 125th Street and Lexington Avenue. That's why I think Phase 2 is better off aiming straight up for the Third Avenue–149th Street Station.

It's due to the exorbitant curve towards 125th Street and Lexington Avenue. That's why I think Phase 2 is better off aiming straight up for the Third Avenue–149th Street Station.

Personally, I could see them trying to cut costs by removing the third track from 125th St.

I hope this is just first day hiccups, but the (Q) is having horrendous delays due to the 96th Street terminal

They have horrendous delays along the entire line. The train schedules are weird some trains leave in 5 min some in 15. The (Q) today do not feel like a regular Weekend schedule.

They have horrendous delays along the entire line. The train schedules are weird some trains leave in 5 min some in 15. The (Q) today do not feel like a regular Weekend schedule.

If today is a real demo of what’s to come… the (Q) basically crawls. None of the supposed speed benefits of a modern line were demonstrated in the afternoon. The tracks were very smooth though. I couldn’t feel the lateral jerk that happens on other switches in the system.

Or doing the last part of Phase 2 as elevated between wherever the the 1970's tunnels end and 125th/Lexington with provisions to go all the way across town in the future.

That goes to show… you don’t know the pols very well.

If today is a real demo of what’s to come… the (Q) basically crawls. None of the supposed speed benefits of a modern line were demonstrated in the afternoon. The tracks were very smooth though. I couldn’t feel the lateral jerk that happens on other switches in the system.

I was on the 11:08 it was slow from 63rd on in. I get the meaning of foamer now abit socially awkward as well. Charlie Pelet was on this train as well the guy that did the V/O's for the cars didn't know who he was.  I couldn't stick around due to a 1:30 meeting. But I rode again at about 6:30 the NB from 63rd-86th was flying 72nd to 86th especially. S/B it seems there were workers on the track. But you get speed from 86th to 72nd S/B more so due to the grade.

Edited by RailRunRob

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2541531/472stations-850miles.pdf

There actually was a post-war elevated line. The elevated connection from the old Jamaica El to the Archer Line is one example; the Airtrain is the other.

Airtrain was in between highway using smaller trains. Connection from Jamaica El to Archer Av they have no choice, how else is the train going to get underground?