Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

Was a 79th Street Station ever planned? It seems like a strange gap in service.

I also wonder whether the Houston Street Station and Second Avenue Station will become jointly known as the Second Avenue–Houston Street Station.

No, it was never planned.

In fact, originally, stations at 96th and 72nd were not planned.

The stations went as follows:

125th Street, 106th Street, 86th Street, 57th Street, 48th Street, 34th Street, 23rd Street, 14th Street, Houston Street, Grand Street, Chatham Square, Pine/Wall Streets, and Whitehall Street.

Will the southern terminus of Phase 3 feature a direct connection to the (F) at Second Avenue Station? This connection doesn't appear on the four-phase map, but it seems unthinkable for the Second Avenue Subway to neglect Second Avenue Station.

There will be a transfer but no track connection.mta-map-small.jpg

It is too bad that the open house was on a Friday. Couldn't it have been in the morning?

I am going to be on that first train!

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will the southern terminus of Phase 3 feature a direct connection to the (F) at Second Avenue Station? This connection doesn't appear on the four-phase map, but it seems unthinkable for the Second Avenue Subway to neglect Second Avenue Station.

The only transfers definitely planned are to the (4)(5)(6) at 125th and the (B)(D) at Grand St, since they're pretty unavoidable. The other transfers considered ( (E)(M) at 55th, (7) at 42nd and (L) at 14th) are tentative for now.

14 St and Houston, for sure, are guaranteed because they're so easy. Both stations already intersect with Second Avenue. Grand St even more so since they're digging under it.

On the other hand 55 St and 42 St are two blocks away. I can see a very strong case for 42 St, but 55 St is actually more iffy; how many people are going to walk two blocks to transfer from the (E) to the (T)?

55 St is planned to be closer to Lex-53rd than two blocks away. The south end of the station will be around 53rd, and the eastern end of the (E)(M) platform is east of 3rd Av. It'll be a lot shorter to the (E)(M) than to the (7). If built as planned, the (E)(M) to (T) transfer should also be shorter than the (E)(M) to (6) transfer.

O1rgXjL.png

OnqgMr7.png

dNKRXKU.png

The neighborhood maps are out.

http://web.mta.info/maps/neighborhoods/mn/M16_UpperEastSide2017Q.pdf

http://web.mta.info/maps/neighborhoods/mn/M14_UpperEastSide2017Q.pdf

They still haven't updated this map, however.

http://web.mta.info/maps/neighborhoods/mn/M11_midtown_2015.pdf

The MTA is lazy in terms of links.

This is the link to the old subway map. 

http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html

Here is the new one. They just added a 2.

http://web.mta.info/maps/submap2.html

The only transfers definitely planned are to the (4)(5)(6) at 125th and the (B)(D) at Grand St, since they're pretty unavoidable. The other transfers considered ( (E)(M) at 55th, (7) at 42nd and (L) at 14th) are tentative for now.

55 St is planned to be closer to Lex-53rd than two blocks away. The south end of the station will be around 53rd, and the eastern end of the (E)(M) platform is east of 3rd Av. It'll be a lot shorter to the (E)(M) than to the (7). If built as planned, the (E)(M) to (T) transfer should also be shorter than the (E)(M) to (6) transfer.

O1rgXjL.png

OnqgMr7.png

dNKRXKU.png

What document are the top two images from? I assume that the bottom one is from the FEIS...

Also, I was hoping that 55th Street would have a 57th Street or midblock between 56th and 57th Streets exit, but it appears that won't be the case.

What document are the top two images from? I assume that the bottom one is from the FEIS...

Also, I was hoping that 55th Street would have a 57th Street or midblock between 56th and 57th Streets exit, but it appears that won't be the case.

First two images are from the Community Board 6 presentation located here, which is linked on the SAS Publications page; the third is from the FEIS, section 8, Displacement and Relocation, specifically here

Edited by Mysterious2train

You'd think they'd use the newer design from the WalkNYC maps like they did with the Hudson Yards station. Speaking of which, what happened with that plan of replacing the neighborhood maps with the WalkNYC ones?

You'd think they'd use the newer design from the WalkNYC maps like they did with the Hudson Yards station. Speaking of which, what happened with that plan of replacing the neighborhood maps with the WalkNYC ones?

The Second Avenue stations do have the WalkNYC maps. I assume the web version is for the other stations in the area. Why there are two versions is beyond me...

WalkNYC is primarily a DOT initiative.

Too many cooks, too many cooks~

Their maps are also not very accurate when measuring walking time. They use a simple circle overlaid on top of the Manhattan grid. Obviously, it takes longer to walk to any destination that doesn’t lie on the north-south or east-west axes (with you as the origin).

Was doin some thinkin about the future bronx extension if it ever gets built in my lifetime but heres a very intresting proposal

Albeit it VERY expensive...I would peg it it around 10 Billion...BUT Well worth it....Here me out..apologize for the length...

We all kno it will be built to connect with the 2/5/6 but what about the 4???? So I was lookin at google maps and came up with this..

Leaving 3 ave/138 st the line curves north west to align with the 149/GC 4 Platforms Yet below the 2/5 platforms obviously

This station would be situated directly below the Metro north tracks right before the split of the harlem and hudson line...With the transfer 

connecting to the 2/5 platforms at the eastern end...possibly an direct connection at the south end of the platforms to the 4...

Imagine the benefit of having the TWO direct ways into the east OR west side and Brooklyn...This new station/connection would EASILY

Become the Bronx busiest station overtaking 161/yankee stadium (which still dont add up to me but whatever lol)

ALSO...leaving the 149 st/GC Station heading north the line would be 2-3 tracks curving East onto 153 st to get back to 3 avenue and 

head north as planned BUT to take advantage of some open space above Due north From the metro north split to 156 st bet concourse

village and the metro north harlem line tracks you could build a new undergorund yard of at least 10-15 tracks since youre already deep 

underground...Providing capacity for the entire line and taking pressure off exisiting yards.,,Tell me this wouldnt be a DOPE Idea Lol...

HAPPY NEW YRS MY FREINDS...

Ok, that might not be such a bad transfer. But I still think there should still be two services south of 63rd.

Does anyone know what wrapped trains there are and when they depart Stillwell/96th? (to ride it) Thanks!

As far as I know there has been no confirmation on when (if) the wrapped trains will run, but I am willing to bet that the first train will be a wrapped train.

Edited by IAlam

In response to a 2nd ave - Queens blvd route:

This is what i would do

The new 2nd ave line route would be called the (U). I would have it run between Jamaica Center to Hanover Sq. This line would replace the (E)

The (E) would run between 71st ave and world trade center all local at all times. The (E) would replace the (M).

(F) would remain the same.

(R) will remain the same

The (M) would run via 2nd ave after lex and 63rd to 125th street.

Or

The newly created (U) would run between 71st ave and hanover sq replacing the (M) in queens. The (M) would run uptown to 125th and lex.

The (E)(F) and (R) would remain the same.

Imho the 2nd choice would workout better. But we all know this will probably never happen.

In response to a 2nd ave - Queens blvd route:

This is what i would do

The new 2nd ave line route would be called the (U). I would have it run between Jamaica Center to Hanover Sq. This line would replace the (E)

The (E) would run between 71st ave and world trade center all local at all times. The (E) would replace the (M).

(F) would remain the same.

(R) will remain the same

The (M) would run via 2nd ave after lex and 63rd to 125th street.

Or

The newly created (U) would run between 71st ave and hanover sq replacing the (M) in queens. The (M) would run uptown to 125th and lex.

The (E)(F) and (R) would remain the same.

Imho the 2nd choice would workout better. But we all know this will probably never happen.

The problem I have with this route is that your aren't adding any capacity (except for two more cars than the current (M) trains). The whole point of a 2nd Av- Queens service is to add East Midtown service from Queens (which your plan accomplishes by screwing over local riders towards 6th Av) and to add additional overall capacity on Queens Blvd (which your plan does not do)

Can't wait for the first phase to open in the afternoon! :)

Please be civil if you're attending the first (Q) train to the Upper East Side, and be safe.

We'll see waiting for the train now. Never seen the elusive foamer in action. This should be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I caught the first everything today. First (Q) down 2 Av, from the relay tracks, to 96 St, and even the first 2 Av delay.

And from my test rides today, guess what? BUGS (although not surprising) Seems most evident when the (Q) reached 63rd St. Sometimes the automated announcements have to be started up again or the conductor has to make manual announcements because the announcements lag.

Never imagine a perfect world in the (MTA) .

O1rgXjL.png

OnqgMr7.png

dNKRXKU.png

Oddly, if this is built, one taking the SAS but working around 50th and Lex could take the SAS to 55th, walk through the 53rd Street Line platform and then the (6) platform without going outside).

I caught the first everything today. First (Q) down 2 Av, from the relay tracks, to 96 St, and even the first 2 Av delay.

And from my test rides today, guess what? BUGS (although not surprising) Seems most evident when the (Q) reached 63rd St. Sometimes the automated announcements have to be started up again or the conductor has to make manual announcements because the announcements lag.

Never imagine a perfect world in the (MTA) .

I was on that train in the first car, and way before we got to Lex-63rd, it announced "This is...", and we got stuck in the tunnel for a few minutes. Then, when we got to 72nd, it was still saying "THE NEXT STOP IS ; 72 ST" and it didn't even play any announcements except Stand Clear of the Closing Doors. At 86th Street, it went back to normal. It was one buggy train.

Also, Charlie Pellet was on the train and I met him and took some photos.

On the way back, I noticed the Coney Island bound announcement changed. It now states "This is a Coney Island - Stillwell Avenue bound (Q) local train."

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by Tonyboy515