Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have known about some documents related to the planning of the Second Avenue Subway. I had forgotten to post them.

This is the December 1998 Manhattan East Side Transit Alternatives Study. It includes the Second Avenue Subway, an alternative with light rail on the Lower East Side and bus lanes on Second Avenue. The SAS was not planned to be full length. It was planned to be an extension of the Broadway Line to 125th Street. To have service from the UES get to Lower Manhattan, there would have been the Canal Street Flip. This would have provided a direct connection between the express tracks and Lower Manhattan, and a connection between the local tracks and the Manhattan Bridge. This part of construction was deemed unnecessary once it was decided to have a full length SAS.

The light rail line would have used the unused trackage between Canal Street and Chambers Street.

For more details look inside.

Later, I will be posting a document from 1972. Enjoy!

Edited by Union Tpke

Non-revenue test trains began running up the line this morning:

Dude, they should've at least performed some dust remediation before beginning full revenue testing. That's a fair amount of dust getting kicked up by the trains. That third rail shoe is arcing like crazy from it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Dude, they should've at least performed some dust remediation before beginning full revenue testing. That's a fair amount of dust getting kicked up by the trains. That third rail shoe is arcing like crazy from it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Hopefully some remediation happens after it opens on January 1st.

Do you think the first revenue (Q) train up 2nd Ave will be packed?

The first car certainty will be, IDK why railfans bunch up in the first car on a train that doesn't have an RFW. I'll bet the rear cars of the first revenue train will be empty, that was the case with the first Hudson Yards revenue train.

Here are some tables showing the proposed service pattern.

Yes, you are reading it right. Originally, the R was going to go up Second Avenue.

<pics removed>

(R) to 2nd Av? With its massive inconsistencies and slow speeds, that would've been horrible.

That's not surprising given the overall plan they had in place. The (R) would've been the Broadway express under the Canal flip proposal, which would've in theory, sped up the line as opposed to having the (N) local run up 2nd Avenue. Also remember, back in the '90s, it was assumed the (Q) would remain on 6th Avenue after the Manhattan Bridge work, which is why the proposal illustrated here called for an extension of the  :Q: from its then-present terminal of 21 St-Queensbridge to 179 Street via the then-under construction 63rd Street Connector.

In other news, the schedule for the extended (Q) is now available on the MTA's site. Shall we play another rendition of "spot the errors"?

Edited by Lance

That's not surprising given the overall plan they had in place. The (R) would've been the Broadway express under the Canal flip proposal, which would've in theory, sped up the line as opposed to having the (N) local run up 2nd Avenue. Also remember, back in the '90s, it was assumed the (Q) would remain on 6th Avenue after the Manhattan Bridge work, which is why the proposal illustrated here called for an extension of the  :Q: from its then-present terminal of 21 St-Queensbridge to 179 Street via the then-under construction 63rd Street Connector.

In other news, the schedule for the extended (Q) is now available on the MTA's site.

Is it just me, but didn't they forget to put the ADA-accessible symbol for the three stations on the second avenue (Q)?

(Q) schedule:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/tqcur.pdf

Is it just me, but didn't they forget to put the ADA-accessible symbol for the three stations on the second avenue (Q)?

(Q) schedule:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/tqcur.pdf

IfsEuzr.png

Huh, you're right. How did they forget something so simple? I mean, really? 

Edited by Mysterious2train