Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

First I believe that the Express QBL track can not fit more trains. Trains are usually backed up already at Queens Plaza and Roosevelt AV. Second I do not believe that the MTA have any plans to connect phase III to Queens. But Phase III is not planned yet so it may change

The 63 St tunnel was built with turnouts going from west to north (which is what the (Q) will be using) and turnouts going from south to east (which is what any SAS service to Queens would use.) It already exists. But yes, all of Queens Blvd's track capacity is spoken for.

Edited by bobtehpanda

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will the southern terminus of Phase 3 feature a direct connection to the (F) at Second Avenue Station? This connection doesn't appear on the four-phase map, but it seems unthinkable for the Second Avenue Subway to neglect Second Avenue Station.

All the transfers in Phases 3 and 4 are tentative, but I think that 55 St, 14 St, Houston St, and Grand St are guaranteed to connect to their respective lines. The only one that may be in question is 42 St, but I think the underground passage to GCT is too important to not build.

Was a 79th Street Station ever planned? It seems like a strange gap in service.

I also wonder whether the Houston Street Station and Second Avenue Station will become jointly known as the Second Avenue–Houston Street Station.

Edited by Skipper

All the transfers in Phases 3 and 4 are tentative, but I think that 55 St, 14 St, Houston St, and Grand St are guaranteed to connect to their respective lines. The only one that may be in question is 42 St, but I think the underground passage to GCT is too important to not build.

14 St and Houston, for sure, are guaranteed because they're so easy. Both stations already intersect with Second Avenue. Grand St even more so since they're digging under it.

On the other hand 55 St and 42 St are two blocks away. I can see a very strong case for 42 St, but 55 St is actually more iffy; how many people are going to walk two blocks to transfer from the (E) to the (T)?

First complaint: There is no space between 2 and AV.

I also found it interesting how they changed it to BRIGHTON LOCAL but BROADWAY EXP remains.

Didn't it used to be Brighton LCL? I was also wondering why they didn't Chang Broadway EXP. Maybe because there isn't enough space.

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by Tonyboy515

Why couldn't the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS_svg.png offer service identical to that of the (F) between Roosevelt Island and Jamaica–179th Street Station?

The 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS_svg.png wouldn't be able to run on the express tracks between 71st Ave and the 63rd St tunnel junction with both the (E) and (F) already there. It could run on the local because the (M) and (R) run much less frequently than the (E) and (F). But then the MTA will have to be more vigilant about fumigating trains at 71st in order to get trains in and out of there so they can relay quickly enough and get back in service going southbound.

Or have one of the locals branch off the Queens Blvd line. Perhaps branch the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS_svg.png onto the Rockaway Branch after 63rd Drive. The 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS_svg.png would likely be the a shorter route than the (M) or (R), so it would probably be the best option for a service connecting the Rockaways to the Queens Blvd Line.

Either way, I strongly believe there should be two services south of 63rd St. We don't want to spend all that money to go south of 63rd St only to be forced into running the line well below capacity.

14 St and Houston, for sure, are guaranteed because they're so easy. Both stations already intersect with Second Avenue. Grand St even more so since they're digging under it.

On the other hand 55 St and 42 St are two blocks away. I can see a very strong case for 42 St, but 55 St is actually more iffy; how many people are going to walk two blocks to transfer from the (E) to the (T)?

This is another reason in favor of implementing a Queens-SAS 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS_svg.png service via Queens Blvd. It would connect to every subway line in North Queens except the (N) and (W). And if the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS_svg.png were to run on the Rockaway Branch, it would also have transfers to the (A) and (J) lines and possibly the LIRR's Atlantic Branch. Riders from the other lines would be able to transfer to the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS_svg.png while still in Queens or be able to get it directly. It might even mitigate the need for a super long transfer between the (T) and the (E)(M)(6) at Lex/53rd and possibly the (7) at 42nd, because there would already be transfers from the (E), (M) and (7) to the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS_svg.png in Queens. There is currently no transfer being planned from the (T) to the (N)(R)(W) at Lex/59th. At least the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS_svg.png could potentially offer a transfer to the (R) in Queens. Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

Thanks might catch that at Prospect Park so that's about 11:15 AM on my side. Wonder if it'll be packed? I can see my Wife now asking why I'm doing this again hahaha.

It'll probably be filled with a bunch of fans that wanna get that "exclusive" first train ride up there, and with them dotted around the line getting their photos and videos

Kinda feel bad for the crew lol

It'll probably be filled with a bunch of fans that wanna get that "exclusive" first train ride up there, and with them dotted around the line getting their photos and videos

Kinda feel bad for the crew lol

So much for thinking they weren't going to ride all the way from Brooklyn. Thanks for that information @ Lance.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

So this means that the East Side Access project brings us closer to a future 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS_svg.png service from Houston Street (and later Hanover Square) into Queens (perhaps terminating at the Jamaica–179th Street Station). Sunnyside Yard access only helps matters.

It was never built!