Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! NEW YEAR NEW LINE!!! LETS START OFF 2017 RIGHT!!! IT’S HERE!!!! ITS FINALLY HERE!!!! A CENTURY IN THE MAKING!!! Here is one of (later) first sets of (Q) Trains making its way through Lexington Avenue-63rd Street, going to and coming from, its new northern terminus, Upper East Side (96th Street-2nd Avenue). Calm Down. This is just the beginning of my IND Second Avenue Subway Coverage. They will be station tours, train/terminus action, and on-board train announcement action on both the (Q) and selected rush-hour (N) Trains via 2nd Avenue.  From January 2nd -8th, SAS Action from 6am-10pm, and afterwards, 24-hour service from January 9th and onward. Enjoy. :)  ;)  :P  :D  :lol: Video is in Full HD (60 FPS)

Please Subscribe To The Transportation Hub YouTube Channel Today.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I was on the first (NB) train, and it was stopped at Lex-63 for a few minutes (the 11:08 from CI was right behind, you could see it). As we were heading towards 96th, there were three (or two, I don't remember) (Q) trains heading South. The next train was then the one I was on, which didn't leave 96 for another 10 (I think) minutes. I don't really know what the hold up was. Kinda lead to a huge gap. The train was also really slow going North, but when I took the (Q) back down to 57th, the ride was much quicker. 

The one thing I can say just from what happened today is that it's definitely much better than taking the M15-SBS. 

Edited by R188 7857

That goes to show… you don’t know the pols very well.

Yeah, but there is a lot of pressure to get Phase 2 done.  This stretch of elevated would be very small, but if it cuts the costs from $6 Billion to say, $1 Billion, that would make a strong argument for doing it.

There is no possible scenario that would bring the (MTA) to construct an elevated line in Manhattan ever again. Elevated lines are strictly pre-war for a reason.

If they can cut the costs, sure, but we may be at the point where it may be far more cost-efficient to do an elevated line.  

For all we know they never built this at all.

If we're talking about the bell mouths on the NYCT level of the 63rd st tunnel in Queens, they did not. If there was any type of extension at all it didn't extend any further than across Northern Boulevard where they made the ESA connection to the existing 63rd St tunnel.

I remember seeing older documents planning for the NYCT yard, but none of the project's contracts call for any tunneling done for anything but LIRR/Amtrak.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Man, yesterday was really, really nice. So many people, saw lots of well known faces. The stations were so crowded. The entire line was well done. Charlie Pellet was there earlier in the day (I came with my uncle much later). Man, what a day yesterday. :)

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

Weird question, but what was the car # of the first n/b. I can't figure out if I was on that or the 2nd.

Thanks!

I was in 9038 the 11:08 from Brooklyn. I believe that was the second train in. We didn't know that, though. 

9108 was in the station when we pulled in at 96th maybe that was 1st in?

Edited by RailRunRob

Yeah, but there is a lot of pressure to get Phase 2 done. This stretch of elevated would be very small, but if it cuts the costs from $6 Billion to say, $1 Billion, that would make a strong argument for doing it.

If they can cut the costs, sure, but we may be at the point where it may be far more cost-efficient to do an elevated line.

The fact of the matter is that the MTA nor the city wants more elevated lines in the city. That's why back in the 40's and 50's there was this huge desire of getting rid of them. The Fulton Ave El was replaced with the current Fulton Street Line. The various elevated lines in Manhattan were replaced long ago, the only line that still has an elevated station in Manhattan is the (1). All the stations built now and since the 40's are all underground. It would make far more sense for the MTA to utilize already built 2nd Ave tunnels then to build a elevated that creates not only noise pollution but also blocks sunlight and brings down the value of stores and homes directly at the elevated structure. Personally I believe phase 2 will not take as long to construct just because the tracks go to 105th street already and the tunnels are basically there. There is only a small portion that would have to be dug out at this point.

I was in 9038 the 11:08 from Brooklyn. I believe that was the second train in. We didn't know that, though.

Everyone who was in 9038 got screwed, including me ;-; Well, at least it was the first full-route train. Everyone had fun listening to the new annoucements and screaming as we heard the new announcements, and getting out at 96th. At least we all had fun there.

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by Tonyboy515

Everyone who was in 9038 got screwed, including me ;-; Well, at least it was the first full-route train. Everyone had fun listening to the new annoucements and screaming as we heard the new announcements, and getting out at 96th. At least we all had fun there.

Yeah, it was interesting. My 1st time around train fans. People overall just regular folks felt proud and positive about the extension you could just hear it and see it on their faces really great spaces. New York deserves this have to keep pushing this.

Yea. Did some ppl know that the first train up second avenue was starting at 57th street and not coney island

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I let 3-4 trains pass at Prospect Park had I known that I would have ridden up to 57th.

I heard the 11:08 From Stillwell was not the first train, but the second train  :lol:

Whoever waited south of 57th never got to ride the first train, the first train was a put in at 57th. From what I saw in a Youtube video, that first car on the 11:08 was stuffed with railfans, boy did they get screwed.

I was in 9038 the 11:08 from Brooklyn. I believe that was the second train in. We didn't know that, though. 

To be fair I wanted the first full run between Coney Island and 96th not some shuttle between 57th and 96th so I was happy. What annoyed me was 

A) People making fun of each other and overall being disrespectful granted it was a very small amount of people, it's reasons like that I don't like to associate with railfans. 

B) Standing on seats, again it was only a few, and I'll admit my friend did this too and he isn't a railfan so I got pissed at him for doing so after.

C) I'll have to check my recordings, to make sure that actually happened, but I believe that some of the people we're opening the windows and screaming out them. Again I'll have to check, cause I know after 57th St some of the people did open the windows to get sound bytes but I'll update you guys when I find out. 

To be fair I wanted the first full run between Coney Island and 96th not some shuttle between 57th and 96th so I was happy. What annoyed me was 

A) People making fun of each other and overall being disrespectful granted it was a very small amount of people, it's reasons like that I don't like to associate with railfans. 

B) Standing on seats, again it was only a few, and I'll admit my friend did this too and he isn't a railfan so I got pissed at him for doing so after.

C) I'll have to check my recordings, to make sure that actually happened, but I believe that some of the people we're opening the windows and screaming out them. Again I'll have to check, cause I know after 57th St some of the people did open the windows to get sound bytes but I'll update you guys when I find out. 

Yeah, there were a few people standing on seats a bit of social awkwardness as well. I have to admit the few people I know with interest in transit studied and work in the field so there was kind of an incentive and a route into this world. I was kind of amazed to hear guys talking trains for no other reason than it being a train we got excitement because an R160 (R) train pulled in at the same time hard for me to visualize and understand and that's okay.  More from a perspective of passion then reasoning or logic it's not a right or wrong thing. Just a different route than one I took interesting stuff tho. 

The fact of the matter is that the MTA nor the city wants more elevated lines in the city. That's why back in the 40's and 50's there was this huge desire of getting rid of them. The Fulton Ave El was replaced with the current Fulton Street Line. The various elevated lines in Manhattan were replaced long ago, the only line that still has an elevated station in Manhattan is the (1). All the stations built now and since the 40's are all underground. It would make far more sense for the MTA to utilize already built 2nd Ave tunnels then to build a elevated that creates not only noise pollution but also blocks sunlight and brings down the value of stores and homes directly at the elevated structure. Personally I believe phase 2 will not take as long to construct just because the tracks go to 105th street already and the tunnels are basically there. There is only a small portion that would have to be dug out at this point.

Actually, from Dyckman (200th) Street north, the (1) is also elevated in Manhattan (in fact, the (1) goes from being almost 200 feet underground at 191 to coming out on an El at Dyckman).

The part I was talking about being elevated would be a very short stretch from where the existing tunnels end (around 120th/2nd) to the terminal at 125th/Lex-Park. 125th/Lex would be the sole elevated station in Manhattan.

There can be provisions built for an extension to the Bronx via a new rail bridge, possibly where the old bridge to the 2nd and 3rd Avenue Els used to run to the Bronx (with a stop added at 128th/2nd for such trains in that scenario) and at least rebuilding part of the old Bronx 3rd Avenue El to a terminal at 149th/3rd with provisions perhaps later to fully rebuild the Bronx portion of the 3rd Avenue EL (as elevated or Subway).  

Actually, from Dyckman (200th) Street north, the (1) is also elevated in Manhattan (in fact, the (1) goes from being almost 200 feet underground at 191 to coming out on an El at Dyckman).

The part I was talking about being elevated would be a very short stretch from where the existing tunnels end (around 120th/2nd) to the terminal at 125th/Lex-Park. 125th/Lex would be the sole elevated station in Manhattan.

There can be provisions built for an extension to the Bronx via a new rail bridge, possibly where the old bridge to the 2nd and 3rd Avenue Els used to run to the Bronx (with a stop added at 128th/2nd for such trains in that scenario) and at least rebuilding part of the old Bronx 3rd Avenue El to a terminal at 149th/3rd with provisions perhaps later to fully rebuild the Bronx portion of the 3rd Avenue EL (as elevated or Subway).  

Get it through your head there will never be a new el built.  ACCEPT IT AND MOVE ON. NO ONE BUT YOU WANTS NEW ELS.

So has anyone seen reactions from regular commuters that the Q train now goes to 96th street instead of 57th street?

From the videos I've seen every train was full on opening day, so unlike Hudson Yards, there is already latent demand for the extension.

I expect the (Q) to be overcrowded in a few months' time. Maybe some more (N) trains will have to run up to 96 St.