Newly named "Atlantic Ave-Barclays Center" now on subway and bus maps

OK. Then why can't the (MTA) do the same with renaming the (7) Willets Point stop IMO to Willets Points-Citifield? And ditto for the LIRR as well.

They did rename it, it's just that the name is dumb. They should just name it Willets Point if they were going to do Mets-Willets Point...

OK. Then why can't the (MTA) do the same with renaming the (7) Willets Point stop IMO to Willets Points-Citifield? And ditto for the LIRR as well.

Wasn't there a controversy with Citi Bank about the name when it first opened?

Wasn't there a controversy with Citi Bank about the name when it first opened?

I think that's why the MTA didn't put Citi Field in the name...

Also because they weren't asked/paid to do so...

A couple of times i been to Willets Point-Mets station I heard the conductors mention "Citifield' in the announcements. Could the C/R's get into trouble for mentioning "Citifield"?

FYI. Ratner no longer is majority owner of the Nets and instead only is the main developer/owner of the new arena.

Guest Lance

@Gojimet86: Nope. Citibank didn't want to pay to slap their name on the station, hence the stupid name it has now.

As to conductors getting in trouble for announcing the station as CitiField instead of Mets-Willets Point, I highly doubt the higher ups really care that much. As long as there is little to no confusion as to what they're announcing as it pertains to the stations, transfers/connections & various information and they don't act cute on the PA system, it's all good.

i notice some of those changes mention above but did you folks realize when you go to PDF format it dosent have Barclay Center? i see it written small but when i blew it up it said "Atlantic Ave, Pacific Street" I guess they still working on it or they slip thru the crack.

Wasn't CitiField the result of the Mets search for a partner to sell naming rights because of Madoff (that they were originally going to use Shea Stadium again until Madoff stuff broke)?

I also heard that but it not been ever confirmed to my knowledge. I think as the now "Citifield' was finishing and the costs went thru the roof, the Mets current ballpark got the naming rights for that reason. The Madoff scandal broke right after the new ballpark was named.

@Gojimet86: Nope. Citibank didn't want to pay to slap their name on the station, hence the stupid name it has now.

As to conductors getting in trouble for announcing the station as CitiField instead of Mets-Willets Point, I highly doubt the higher ups really care that much. As long as there is little to no confusion as to what they're announcing as it pertains to the stations, transfers/connections & various information and they don't act cute on the PA system, it's all good.

Indeed, just like how (R) conductors announce Woodhaven Blvd. as "Woodhaven Blvd.-Queens Center Mall".

uggh... this is just a repeat of Newkirk Plaza. IMO they should just rename the whole station "Atlantic Avenue" and remove "Pacific street". Its kind of like two seperate stations, but its really one. (technically its 3, 4 Av line, Brighton & E Pkwy)

• 3 weeks later...

uggh... this is just a repeat of Newkirk Plaza. IMO they should just rename the whole station "Atlantic Avenue" and remove "Pacific street". Its kind of like two seperate stations, but its really one. (technically its 3, 4 Av line, Brighton & E Pkwy)

Frankly, quite true. I'm taking the (Q) on Thursday, so I'll see if the announcements are updated yet.

Frankly, quite true. I'm taking the (Q) on Thursday, so I'll see if the announcements are updated yet.

I haven't heard anyone on the (2), (3), (D), (N), or (R) lines call the station "Atlantic Av - Barclays Ctr" yet.

But they did remove Pacific Street... It's only in the tiles now, which are outdated...

Archived