Please!!!! What's going to replace those Dinosaur ex-BL O5's

Lennyj17

I can't stand it anymore....I purposely will now wait for a OG 7 to show up on the Q111/113 (thank god that's never too long of a wait) because I hate riding those nearly broke down O5's....I feel like soon the passengers will need to do the Flintstones to get the buses to go anywhere.

So my question is what will finally Kick Out the BL O5's.....

A - SC order of 3G CNGs will push their OG's to BP

B - FLA order of LFSAs will Kick over some RTSs

C - CS order of LFSAs will Kick over some NYCT O5's

D - BP will get some Hand-me-down D60HF Artics.

E - RTSs from ECH storage.

F - BP and LGA just have to wait for their turn at a New Order.

any of A-E would be a serious improvement over the BL's currently in service....F is the only choice that I dread.

Well doubt that those O5s will be here for more than a year, just as 2013 will make them 18 years old, and that's well beyond what the MTA likes to do. Hand me down D60s are a better shot in the next LFSA order, my bets are on hand-me-down RTSes and maybe some O5s as well. OGs are always being pushed around and SC is one of those depots where buses cross from NYCT to MTA Bus and the opposite, so there could be some OG movement from there too. Definitely gonna see a lot of RTSes moving around though, that 1997 batch still hasn't seen any MTA Bus service which will probably change in the next year.

Seriously those buses are DISGUSTING... It's an embarrassment to have them running... Seats are beyond worn out... A rip off for $2.25 IMO... I had a tutoring session in Queens a while back and had to ride one of those buses after taking the QM5 in... I cringed when I got on and just stood for the short ride. :ph34r:

When the C40LF order is 100% complete, will ALL Orion 5's be gone from ALL depots? If not, what will remain?

C40s are only replacing CNG O5s at the CNG depots (SC, CP, JG, WF). I don't see how they'll have any effect on Diesel depots, the best chance BP had with that was SC losing their OGs to become an all CNG (excluding the MCIs) depot, but the MTA opt'd to get rid of the oldest buses first the O5s.

BP: They will either: A). Get RTS from storage but the (MTA) not intelligent to take advantage of this alternative plus they just ordered 100 ECH RTS to death/scrap among others so likely no). Or B) the Bee-lines Orion V's will have to stick it out longer to see next year & wait 'til they get their share of the 72 Artic order for MTAB.

LGA: Very likely get RTS from other depots. I'm afraid that it might as well be the '97-98 series batch at one point or another. Another direction is that they may get a piece of the 634/690 (whatever it is) incoming order for the new batch of buses. I highly doubt they would send 6XXX's series Orion V's there for some reason but I'm not ready to rule it out as a possiblity.

Seriously those buses are DISGUSTING... It's an embarrassment to have them running... Seats are beyond worn out... A rip off for $2.25 IMO... I had a tutoring session in Queens a while back and had to ride one of those buses after taking the QM5 in... I cringed when I got on and just stood for the short ride. :ph34r:

You're acting like a worn-out seat will do damage to your body.

I think LGA's set will be the first to go since they are in much more poor shape over the BP batch. The BP Orion Vs might be staying a bit longer. I remember when those buses were still at Bee-Line....they were in like-new condition. Once they made their way to MTA, they got destroyed!

You're acting like a worn-out seat will do damage to your body.

Wasn't just the seats... Those buses are nasty in general... It's like being in a car that just feels dirty and grimy feeling and you don't want to touch anything. In any event, those buses need to go. I mean how much money did they actually save buying those things second hand when from what I've heard they've broken down quite a bit? Would've been better off just getting new buses.

Wasn't just the seats... Those buses are nasty in general... It's like being in a car that just feels dirty and grimy feeling and you don't want to touch anything. In any event, those buses need to go. I mean how much money did they actually save buying those things second hand when from what I've heard they've broken down quite a bit? Would've been better off just getting new buses.

Any bus, new or old, breaks down.

Any bus, new or old, breaks down.

Of course, but you and I know that these buses have had problems and buses this old certainly break down more frequently generally speaking so it is of no benefit to the riding public to have these buses in service, especially if they're broken down. The one thing that is improving at the (MTA) is breakdowns with the newer buses that the (MTA) is getting, but this was a step backwards as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, but you and I know that these buses have had problems and buses this old certainly break down more frequently generally speaking so it is of no benefit to the riding public to have these buses in service, especially if they're broken down. The one thing that is improving at the (MTA) is breakdowns with the newer buses that the (MTA) is getting, but this was a step backwards as far as I'm concerned.

Not entirely, under the care of Bee-Line, they ran as if they were brand new buses, they were maintained very well and have rarely broken down. Under the care of the MTA, however, that's an entirely different story....they sent the buses to two depots where the environment beats the living hell out of them. They started dropping like flies left and right. Even if they've broken down, that's not even a big issue because the issue can always get fixed. Now if they were known for like....say catching on fire and something like that, that would be the big and realistic issue.

Breakdowns occur to every bus and the issues are always resolved in a timely manner. If it was something bigger than breakdowns like fires or whatnot, then I'd understand. They can be filthy or dirty or whatever, what matters in the long run is that they are in running condition.

Not entirely, under the care of Bee-Line, they ran as if they were brand new buses, they were maintained very well and have rarely broken down. Under the care of the MTA, however, that's an entirely different story....they sent the buses to two depots where the environment beats the living hell out of them. They started dropping like flies left and right. Even if they've broken down, that's not even a big issue because the issue can always get fixed. Now if they were known for like....say catching on fire and something like that, that would be the big and realistic issue.

Breakdowns occur to every bus and the issues are always resolved in a timely manner. If it was something bigger than breakdowns like fires or whatnot, then I'd understand. They can be filthy or dirty or whatever, what matters in the long run is that they are in running condition.

Quite frankly I don't see why they even needed these buses. Why are they so short on buses after they cut so many routes? That right there should've meant that fewer buses were needed and could either be stored or retired.

Quite frankly I don't see why they even needed these buses. Why are they so short on buses after they cut so many routes? That right there should've meant that fewer buses were needed and could either be stored or retired.

MTA Bus routes were not cut except for the Q89 and maybe one or two more that escape my mind at the moment. And that's exactly what they did after the cuts, they retired a good majority and stored a good majority. They needed the buses because MTA Bus was in a pretty deep shortage, LGA Depot has had a track record of killing their fleet in the past and retiring buses pretty early in the past, but now they seem to be doing better. Baisley Park usually takes care of them in terms of running condition but sent some of their buses to LGA to amend their losses. Baisley then started getting a couple of random TA Orion Vs and other buses.

TA kept their best running buses in service while storing/scrapping others. Some of those stored/good buses were sent to depots like Eastchester for the Q50/Bx23, LGA for their routes and now JFK depot, while getting rid of their worst buses. But conditions over at LGA & BP were getting bad so then came with this second-hand order. They couldn't send anymore buses to MTA Bus from TA because of TA already being in a bit of a shortage themselves.

I see... What a mess... Well there should be some sort of oversight at the depots that seem to have maintenance problems. I mean there should be a certain standard that each depot should be required to up keep, otherwise you have to keep pouring money on certain depots that run their fleet into the ground.

Everytime I take those O5's on the q112 they are not bad. They need to get them off the q111 and q113 because they are heavily used routes and they don't go throught one of the nices areas. They don't care and litter the bus. But if the MTA was smart they would of kept those 96 RTS or send them to depots lthat have not many routes like far Rockaway then they may be in better condition. FR all OG's they should of split with BP.

128 has to be the worst Ex-BL bus ever. The engine makes it feel like somebody is thumping the side of the bus, the back door freezes sometimes (when the driver closes the front door, the rear one opens and then gets stuck, and the bus driver has to reset the doors), and it cant go past 20 up a hill. the engine does sound pretty good tho, but overall that bus SUCKS. Not to mention the side sign doesn't work and the route sign on the side is stuck to Q23 (I was on the Q53 in woodside at the time). Those buses need to go, thing is it doesn't seem like the MTA wants to replace them anytime soon.

128 has to be the worst Ex-BL bus ever. The engine makes it feel like somebody is thumping the side of the bus, the back door freezes sometimes (when the driver closes the front door, the rear one opens and then gets stuck, and the bus driver has to reset the doors), and it cant go past 20 up a hill. the engine does sound pretty good tho, but overall that bus SUCKS. Not to mention the side sign doesn't work and the route sign on the side is stuck to Q23 (I was on the Q53 in woodside at the time). Those buses need to go, thing is it doesn't seem like the MTA wants to replace them anytime soon.

A bit of an FYI, most buses can't go over 20 up a hill unless it's a hybrid bus.

A bit of an FYI, most buses can't go over 20 up a hill unless it's a hybrid bus.

Very true (a bit off-topic) those NG's will haul some serious ass going up Riverdale Ave on the Bx7 while the O5's will maintain somewhat of a decent speed.

Very true (a bit off-topic) those NG's will haul some serious ass going up Riverdale Ave on the Bx7 while the O5's will maintain somewhat of a decent speed.

LOL... Very true... Those old O5's seems like they struggle getting up Riverdale Avenue. I noticed that yesterday morning while I was running an errand. I saw several NGs moving along quite nicely up the hill by 236th and then an O5 comes along... Looked so out of place.

I saw 128 once stuck to a different sign

It said :

Q23. Forest Hills

Cooper Av

Turns out the bottom half was stuck to the 29 signage, because when it said via 108 street, Cooper Ave never changed.

They never seemed that bad to me, they're pretty smooth. However the inside is very annoying when the bus is packed (which is 99.9% of the time), whether you're standing or sitting.

I never knew they were that old though.

They never seemed that bad to me, they're pretty smooth. However the inside is very annoying when the bus is packed (which is 99.9% of the time), whether you're standing or sitting. I never knew they were that old though.

I ride on the buses sometimes on the Q112. It's not a bad ride but if u are in the back for awhile the noise gets kinda annoying. Its sounds like the 600 series Orion V's at CS but a little louder and sounds like too much pressure was put on the bus. And sometime's the people are so used to the NYCT orions that they literally bang the area of the bus where the tape would be at and think the stop would be requested and get mad at the driver when they pass it. Also some try to even look for the knob to slide the window open and the tape to open the doors when the driver does it. Funny times on these beeline Orion's

• 3 weeks later...

Archived