NJT proposals/ideas thread 2012-2013

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.....Then don't sit up here & say I definitely do not know more than you.

Unlike you, I don't have to say I know more than you.... Simply saying it don't mean shit, showing it means a hell of a lot more.... 

Yeah right..... Good job exuding that knowledge of NJ by the way...

You know - that knowledge you proclaim I definitely don't have moreso than you.... Lmao......

I love how you went from:

- "Interesting but I'd rather power up 319 and add a stop at brick and stafford or forked river(off-peak only)

The area has life at rush hour that is why but outside heck after 8pmish it gets real dead."

- "NAH only 2 stops I have no intention of it touching local streets just a few stops added that aren't served by academy followed by additional service."

- "what about driver changes at toms river?"

....to now telling me about Adding trips on the 319 to justify doing this nonsense of adding intermediate stops to the route...

By all means enlighten me I would actually welcome you to do so. Ohh You have a point with 319. But I will figure a better way to integrate it. With better connections to 319. But NJT's proposed 60 modified would tie in nicely.You act as if extra 30 mins would be added not true.

He's taken more NJT buses than you have, he's been to most of NJ's regions, and he knows NJ's bus system so much better than you do. Plus he's not calling Piscataway a "dead area." Furthermore, he doesn't belittle people about their knowledge of NJ just because he doesn't like one of their ideas, you know kinda like how you do.

One thing I pride myself on ever since my first post in this transit community (back on RD; straphangers) is that I never once claimed to know any more about anything than anyone else.... I'm not here to boast what I know, but I think I do a pretty decent job in sharing whatever I do know with anyone willing to read/ponder my posts.....

This guy QJT, I actually do believe he's taken more routes in NJ than I have.... You would think the ideas he posts though would be reflective of this grand knowledge he claims to have over me, but it just goes to show quantity doesn't equal quality (quantity in this case being # of routes ridden & quality in this case being portrayal of knowledge)...

But let him believe whatever he wants if it helps him sleep better at night....

All I can do is convey what I know (thanks for the compliment though).

Enough peeling small potatoes, lemme get to this post of yours (below)

Anyway, I think I've held off on this for quite a while now. I finally managed to get to a computer so here we go. 

I'm actually thinking about sending it that way in Hudson County (JSQ-Hoboken-Weehawken). I'm gonna have the Union Beach branch serve the airport since that's the route's main terminus.

It's basically the 135, except it goes up Laurence Pkwy and takes '35 to Sayreville. My new 131 makes it serve Union Beach instead of going to Freehold.

#314: It won't run in conjunction with the 318 since this one is a year-round line. If it doesn't get good ridership during the fall/winter, I may just restrict it to being a seasonal line.

#391: I just made the Newark and Jersey City branches into one branch.https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208174968748802406451.0004d6d502939a0154b9d&msa=0&ll=40.69847,-74.150162&spn=0.082122,0.209255

I adjusted the 556 a little bit and added an Express. I tried to adjust the 556B to do what you suggested, can you let me know if I missed anything there?https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208174968748802406451.0004d39d8dacfb5ed76ae&msa=0&ll=40.177168,-74.084587&spn=0.082761,0.209255&iwloc=0004d7bfecdcdc6729bc4

At one point I was completely fed up w/ google's maps, but seeing your ideas gave me a push to go on ahead with something I always wanted to do (illustrate how I would restructure things out in central Jerz').... t'was back when NJT split up the old 62 into today's 62 &

the 48 (was around the same time I came out w/ that plainfield-perth amboy route)..... But yeah, I'll shoot you a link to the map if you're interested, but right now it's still in the works (may need your help with something).... I did all the 830's, still gotta draw in my rendition of a "556".....

- Anyway, with the 131 (standalone), oh I know where it goes - I was basically asking in a roundabout way how is it used/how well is it used.... I know about the combined PM 131/135 trips, as well as the 135 by itself/standalone... 135 & 136 are two of my favorite NJT routes to fan btw.... I always take the 135 full (freehold ctr) & ride the 139 back to PABT... the 136 "epress" I take to the first stop in NJ (freehold mall) & walk over to that burger king if I'm hungry enough.... of course, I cross back over & walk to freehold mall for the 139 back to PABT.... there's a bus stop across the street from that BK, but I don't care much for waiting over there to be honest....

- With the 314, gotcha...

- The 391 looks much better.... Structured just like the 319, which is how a route like that should be (IMO)...

(a variant starting in important areas within NJ & a variant out of PABT)....

- The 556, well since I made that post you quoted, I've amended a few things...

Anyway, looking at your 556/556B/556x now.... Lol, how should I put this....

I don't think you necessarily need a 556x; I don't think you're gonna muster up enough riders on a direct red bank/AC route....

Your 556B (Long Branch spur) however is better than my original suggestion to your original rendition (I suggested that it take 36 to 35).... You have buses using wall st (lol... yes, I know, not the manhattan one) to get to 35 instead, which would likely end up saving more time over taking 36 to 35......  I'll take your word for it w/ putting buses on wall st out there....

So with how you have it set up now, I would:

Eradicate the 556x, do nothing to the 556B, & have the 556 (from new bedford rd) take 138 to the GSP, towards red bank.... The way you have the 556 now, there's no benefit for it to take [rt 18 to rt 66 to the GSP] if it's not gonna be makin any stops in-between rt 18/rt 138 & red bank proper, yanno....

Damn....where do I start lol?

It's like you read my mind with those directions! :lol:

Yeah with the route 35 branch, I was gonna make it a separate route at first, but I figured it would be better to make that segment part of the 817 since it shares the road with it a majority of the time (plus I didn't need to hear QJ talking about how it would "duplicate the 817" or "you can just have academy do it"). 

You said something about combining the "M" trips with the "L" trips? I guess I could have some trips do that. Called them ML trips or something.

With all these extensions, I bet you guys are probably wondering where the buses for these will come from. Well I came ready for that too. The route will be split between Academy Leonardo, Veolia, and Academy Perth Amboy. Leonardo and Veolia will receive some NABI's to help do the extra trips for the 817. Here's how it's gonna work:

817B= Perth Amboy/Veolia

817C= Perth Amboy

817L=Perth Amboy/Leonardo

817M=Leonardo/Veolia

817S=Perth Amboy

817T(might be renumbered)= Leonardo/Perth Amboy

Another thing I'm gonna do is have the destination signs changed from 817 Campbells Junct. to 817 Middletown-Belford so people know the bus is going somewhere they've heard of.

Yeah, I would find a way to combine some of those branches into lesser branches

(having mentioned merging the L & the M trips was one way of me suggesting that happen)....

As far as where buses would come from... Actually nah, I figured you had that downpacked.....

To be honest, I'm more interested/curious in how you would have all these branches run (schedule/scheduling-wise)....

By all means enlighten me I would actually welcome you to do so. Ohh You have a point with 319. But I will figure a better way to integrate it. With better connections to 319. But NJT's proposed 60 modified would tie in nicely.You act as if extra 30 mins would be added not true.

Enlighten you with what? I'm not the one proposing changes to the 319....

I also went against Q23's wanting to rename the [137 express trips to Toms River] to 319's...

The only thing I'm so-called "acting" like right now, is the adding of stops to a route like the 319 being a silly idea.... It doesn't have to be a 30 minute addition - If you don't think extra time would be added to adding stops to the 319, then there's nothing more to be discussed if you can't grasp that simple point.... Especially given that the route as is, is a long distance point to point route (another simple concept)....

Enlighten you with what? I'm not the one proposing changes to the 319....

I also went against Q23's wanting to rename the [137 express trips to Toms River] to 319's...

The only thing I'm so-called "acting" like right now, is the adding of stops to a route like the 319 being a silly idea.... It doesn't have to be a 30 minute addition - If you don't think extra time would be added to adding stops to the 319, then there's nothing more to be discussed if you can't grasp that simple point.... Especially given that the route as is, is a long distance point to point route (another simple concept)....

No I mean in general. That is dead I respect your stance actually. I was wondering about what you really know of NJ and NJT you have talked about a few NJT lines I want to know the full extent of what you know. I don't know much about your trips. However they are similar to my SJ trips however I get 10 trips at WRTC to cut costs and end up using a strange combination of lines almost as extreme as famousNY yuki's NICE trips. I have noticed a few undermarketed lines like 455 which can in theory be used to PATCO as a crosstown but people do not know it exists. I am already over the 319 discussion. I just am curious about the NJ areas you are most familiar with. Edited by qjtransitmaster

No I mean in general. That is dead I respect your stance actually.

I was wondering about what you really know of NJ and NJT you have talked about a few NJT lines I want to know the full extent of what you know. I don't know much about your trips. However they are similar to my SJ trips however I get 10 trips at WRTC to cut costs and end up using a strange combination of lines almost as extreme as famousNY yuki's NICE trips. I have noticed a few undermarketed lines like 455 which can in theory be used to PATCO as a crosstown but people do not know it exists. I am already over the 319 discussion. I just am curious about the NJ areas you are most familiar with.

Do you really think I'm going to sit here & type out the full extent of what I know about buses out in NJ? Lol, get real.....

As far as what I'm most familiar with, I already stated on here in the past that I'm (actually) more familiar with central jersey's & south jersey's routes..... However, I've rode more north jersey routes because obviously there's more of them (of course, with that, there's more routes to learn the in's & out's of too).....

Lemme bottomline this because I can see where this is going.... The whole counterproductive juvenile d**k measuring contest thing, yes yes.... Commence in telling me that you've been on every single bus route in NJ & that you know everything or just about everything there is to know about every single bus route in the state.... Because your posts on here most certainly reflect that.

Either way, don't bother me with this you definitely know more than I do crap....

Edited by B35 via Church

Do you really think I'm going to sit here & type out the full extent of what I know about buses out in NJ? Lol, get real.....

As far as what I'm most familiar with, I already stated on here in the past that I'm (actually) more familiar with central jersey's & south jersey's routes..... However, I've rode more north jersey routes because obviously there's more of them (of course, with that, there's more routes to learn the in's & out's of too).....

Lemme bottomline this because I can see where this is going.... The whole counterproductive juvenile d**k measuring contest thing, yes yes.... Commence in telling me that you've been on every single bus route in NJ & that you know everything or just about everything there is to know about every single bus route in the state.... Because your posts on here most certainly reflect that.

Either way, don't bother me with this you definitely know more than I do crap....

nope not really I just want to learn beyond my scope that's all. You don't seem like the type to come up with duplicate lines ect and may be better suited to contribute. Err I don't know if I know that much. Again we aren't aware of your ideas there yet. What do you think of the 811's ridership and how it's used?

I stated this before, but I didn't get much feedback, but what about short turning some 11 buses in Monticlair during midday hours. On weekdays.

how about leaving 11 alone or transferring that part to another line. Or power up 29 and bring back 75 powered up at 11's expense?

Edited by qjtransitmaster

nope not really I just want to learn beyond my scope that's all. You don't seem like the type to come up with duplicate lines ect and may be better suited to contribute. Err I don't know if I know that much. Again we aren't aware of your ideas there yet. What do you think of the 811's ridership and how it's used?

how about leaving 11 alone or transferring that part to another line. Or power up 29 and bring back 75 powered up at 11's expense?

There doesn't need to be 11 buses with 4 people left pass Verona enroute to Willowbrook Mall.

The headways is every 30 minutes, so the buses can pass every 60 minutes to Willowbrook.

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

There doesn't need to be 11 buses with 4 people left pass Verona enroute to Willowbrook Mall.

The headways is every 30 minutes, so the buses can pass every 60 minutes to Willowbrook.

interesting but connectivity with 197 is disrupted and other lines there. However if 29 is powered up a bit and such 11 becomes redundant and the 75 can return but with 60 to 30 min headways. 11 at rush is used at that time back off. Off-peak there are otherways to do it if you short turn the 11 your better off adding 29s  and killing off some 11s.

....but what about short turning some 11 buses in Monticlair during midday hours. On weekdays.

They already short turn 28's in montclair.... There's no point having both routes (11's & 28's) short turn in montclair.....

On the 11?

Can't justify hourly service out of Willowbrook on that route during off peak hours (when 28's don't run up there).... The demand is just too great for service back towards bloomfield ctr. or newark as it is...... Good chunk of the ppl. waiting for local buses during the day out of Willowbrook are either waiting for 11's or 712's (I'd say for 11's moreso than 712's)....

nope not really I just want to learn beyond my scope that's all. You don't seem like the type to come up with duplicate lines ect and may be better suited to contribute. Err I don't know if I know that much. Again we aren't aware of your ideas there yet.

What do you think of the 811's ridership and how it's used?

811's ridership is decent for the hourly headways it gets.... bulk of the usage is within areas north of rt. 1 and areas east of brunswick sq. [inclusive], with which it's used as an alternative over the 818 (which has to put up w/ the traffic plagued rt 18) & the 815 (which runs like crap - for a couple reasons; the fact that it also uses rt. 18, the fact that it pans north of perth amboy all the way to woodbridge ctr... overall, it's too delay prone), to get over to new brunswick..... The trek through milltown is pretty quick, doesn't see much usage, so buses get to new brunswick quicker.....

They already short turn 28's in montclair.... There's no point having both routes (11's & 28's) short turn in montclair.....

On the 11?

Can't justify hourly service out of Willowbrook on that route during off peak hours (when 28's don't run up there).... The demand is just too great for service back towards bloomfield ctr. or newark as it is...... Good chunk of the ppl. waiting for local buses during the day out of Willowbrook are either waiting for 11's or 712's (I'd say for 11's moreso than 712's)....

811's ridership is decent for the hourly headways it gets.... bulk of the usage is within areas north of rt. 1 and areas east of brunswick sq. [inclusive], with which it's used as an alternative over the 818 (which has to put up w/ the traffic plagued rt 18) & the 815 (which runs like crap - for a couple reasons; the fact that it also uses rt. 18, the fact that it pans north of perth amboy all the way to woodbridge ctr... overall, it's too delay prone), to get over to new brunswick..... The trek through milltown is pretty quick, doesn't see much usage, so buses get to new brunswick quicker.....

HUH 811 quicker? wow. Ok how many people use 815 to new brunswick? vs just to mid state mall and between perth amboy and sayreville?

HUH 811 quicker? wow. Ok how many people use 815 to new brunswick? vs just to mid state mall and between perth amboy and sayreville?

Yeh it's the quicker option, don't even have to hesitate about that.... outside of the traffic on rt. 18, the 818 also sees quite a bit of passenger activity along the way, which slows the ride down even further...... 811's b/w say brunswick sq. & north brunswick shopping ctr (not inclusive), that stint is almost a straight shot w/ not much passenger activity along the way..... and to boot, IIRC, new brunswick bound 811's arrive at brunswick sq before 818's do - So that's even more of a plus for riders (I don't think it's set up that way by accident either, but that's neither here nor there).....

815 & 818 along 18 (mid state mall area) towards new brunswick, ppl. take whatever comes first; shared usage....

815 to new brunswick from perth amboy, etc. is moderate (for NJT standards, of course); usage b/w mid state mall & NJT south amboy is decent.... b/w south & perth (amboys), it's hit or miss... north of downtown perth amboy, usage is rather lacking....

If you ask me, 815 is too drawn out for its own good.... I often wonder how it would perform if it were to be cut back to somewhere around rt 18; in other words - a woodbridge ctr mall to brunswick sq. mall route via perth amboy (yes I know the 815 doesn't go to brunswick sq.)..... But rather than do that, I think the 815 should just be cut back to perth amboy from new brunswick.....

Edited by B35 via Church

Yeh it's the quicker option, don't even have to hesitate about that.... outside of the traffic on rt. 18, the 818 also sees quite a bit of passenger activity along the way, which slows the ride down even further...... 811's b/w say brunswick sq. & north brunswick shopping ctr (not inclusive), that stint is almost a straight shot w/ not much passenger activity along the way..... and to boot, IIRC, new brunswick bound 811's arrive at brunswick sq before 818's do - So that's even more of a plus for riders (I don't think it's set up that way by accident either, but that's neither here nor there).....

815 & 818 along 18 (mid state mall area) towards new brunswick, ppl. take whatever comes first; shared usage....

815 to new brunswick from perth amboy, etc. is moderate (for NJT standards, of course); usage b/w mid state mall & NJT south amboy is decent.... b/w south & perth (amboys), it's hit or miss... north of downtown perth amboy, usage is rather lacking....

If you ask me, 815 is too drawn out for its own good.... I often wonder how it would perform if it were to be cut back to somewhere around rt 18; in other words - a woodbridge ctr mall to brunswick sq. mall route via perth amboy (yes I know the 815 doesn't go to brunswick sq.)..... But rather than do that, I think the 815 should just be cut back to perth amboy from new brunswick.....

My 812 was originally supposed to do that, but I cut it back to Old Bridge for sake of the 818.

ohh so I wasn't the only guy thinking of dropping new brunswick from 815. I was thinking of transferring 815 woodbridge center to perth amboy to another route from Garden State Parkway new from either union or irvington.

My 812 was originally supposed to do that, but I cut it back to Old Bridge for sake of the 818.

Some coincidence... remember who this is all coming from (a non-NJ resident) !

ohh so I wasn't the only guy thinking of dropping new brunswick from 815. I was thinking of transferring 815 woodbridge center to perth amboy to another route from Garden State Parkway new from either union or irvington.

While I agree that there should be a route connecting to Irvington from that region of NJ, I wasn't quite sure where in central jersey such a route would catch on/flourish.... That's why I never bothered to put any real thought into it....

But now that you mention it, Irvington-Woodbridge-Perth Amboy doesn't sound like too bad an idea (although you'd have to drop the 815 notation).... The question would be, how to route such a route exactly..... That could be another way to fill that gap b/w avenel & woodbridge along rt 35...... To get to Irvington from central jersey, you pretty much gotta go through Elizabeth via the 48, via some other route (like the 26)....

Edited by B35 via Church

I still like your Perth Amboy-Plainfield route, so I wouldn't touch that. Right now, getting to Plainfield is more indirect than getting to Irvington.

Could you refresh my memory with your proposal? Your 48 would have one branch via Carteret and one via Route 35, right? (And then you'd have the 57 extended to Inman/Grove, and the 48 extended to JG on the northern end).

Maybe the 94 can be restructured. You could have the ones from Bloomfield to Union (both Route 22 & Haines Avenue branches) running the way they currently do, and then you could have the runs that go out to Linden cut back to Irvington on the northern end, but extended to Perth Amboy on the southern end). To maintain the current level of service north of Irvington, I'm kind of stuck on that. Maybe just simple short-turns from Bloomfield to Irvington.

Also, somewhat unrelated, but I think the western branch of the 94 (to Rt. 22) should be extended through Union County College (via Springfield Av), and terminate at the Cranford RR station.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

I'm in the middle of drawing my central jersey revamp idea.... I'm done w/ the "830's" (and that "556" idea Transitkid provided a foundation for) & now are on the "810's"... guess I'll draw my 816 first since checkmate just referenced it....

Comparing my work to the doug & adrienne maps, lol.... what's up with the 817.....

I think I should e-mail those guys & point out their errors....

I still like your Perth Amboy-Plainfield route, so I wouldn't touch that. Right now, getting to Plainfield is more indirect than getting to Irvington.

Could you refresh my memory with your proposal? Your 48 would have one branch via Carteret and one via Route 35, right? (And then you'd have the 57 extended to Inman/Grove, and the 48 extended to JG on the northern end).

Maybe the 94 can be restructured. You could have the ones from Bloomfield to Union (both Route 22 & Haines Avenue branches) running the way they currently do, and then you could have the runs that go out to Linden cut back to Irvington on the northern end, but extended to Perth Amboy on the southern end). To maintain the current level of service north of Irvington, I'm kind of stuck on that. Maybe just simple short-turns from Bloomfield to Irvington.

Also, somewhat unrelated, but I think the western branch of the 94 (to Rt. 22) should be extended through Union County College (via Springfield Av), and terminate at the Cranford RR station.

Oh I'm not touching my "816" (the plainfield-perth amboy route) nor my "55" (elizabeth - woodbridge ctr mall routes)....

I was acknowledging that he does have a bit of a point w/ bringing up Irvington, as it pertains to this side discussion about service to/in central jersey though....Nothing I said in that last reply was a precursor to a change to what I already thought up....

Anyway, as far as a refresher, here ya go:

NJT (old) 62 breakup idea - Including an ext. of the 57 & a new plainfield-p.amboy route

As for the 94, I could've swore there was a discussion earlier in this thread about what to do with that route....

Off top though, I'm not too certain on how that route can be enhanced.....

Edited by B35 via Church

Ive been away with training over a month in the swamps of louisiana and i have catching up to do.

*First off, the bickering needs to stop. we are transit fans, we all have our own opinions and are entitled to believe in. no need to rub people your "extensive knowledge". in all, KNOCK IT OFF!!!!

*Second, someone mentioned the 11 being adjusted or "short turned". No need to do that, leave the routes that serve the greater Newark area untouched. There is a reason why the 11/28 are combined.

Ive also heard about a route serving central jersey to Irvington. There is one called the 986, if my memory is good, that serves Raritan Center to/from Irvington but is not frequent, only one trip on both AM & PM.

about the 94, that route, is a mess but that route gets packed, no need to extend it any futher

but thats just me

Ive also heard about a route serving central jersey to Irvington. There is one called the 986, if my memory is good, that serves Raritan Center to/from Irvington but is not frequent, only one trip on both AM & PM.

Don't know what route you're thinking of, but the Wheels 986 does not go to Irvington.....

I just realized I never responded to this:

- I agree with you on CR 514 in New Brunswick.... problem is, where you send the service on the other end ?
(in other words, from downtown New Brunswick, along 514, to where)

I just realized that the reason I originally thought of this area needing service was because I was surfing Google Streetview, and found out there's a housing project down by Victor & Millstone. Then there's some more units along Parkside Avenue that I assume are part of the same complex, so I thought it was weird that a housing project in a fairly dense area doesn't have any sort of transit nearby (unless they go all the way to Jersey Avene for the M4).

The route could take Easton-Somerset-College-Hamilton-Franklin-Somerset-Van Dyke-Jersey, and then terminate at the Jersey Avenue station. (I'm not sure if they're projects, but there's another housing complex along Wright Place, served by the M4)

Ideally, I'd like it to serve more of the residential part of Somerset, but the only way to do that would be as some kind of loop.

Oh I'm not touching my "816" (the plainfield-perth amboy route) nor my "55" (elizabeth - woodbridge ctr mall routes)....

I was acknowledging that he does have a bit of a point w/ bringing up Irvington, as it pertains to this side discussion about service to/in central jersey though....Nothing I said in that last reply was a precursor to a change to what I already thought up....

Anyway, as far as a refresher, here ya go:

NJT (old) 62 breakup idea - Including an ext. of the 57 & a new plainfield-p.amboy route

As for the 94, I could've swore there was a discussion earlier in this thread about what to do with that route....

Off top though, I'm not too certain on how that route can be enhanced.....

Alright, cool. Thanks. (This time I bookmarked it so I can just look back to it).

BTW, I thought you were sending the 55 to Jersey Gardens rather than Downtown Elizabeth. And why is the 57 also cut back to Downtown Elizabeth? (Just low demand in general?)

BTW, I thought you were sending the 55 to Jersey Gardens rather than Downtown Elizabeth. And why is the 57 also cut back to Downtown Elizabeth? (Just low demand in general?)

- Don't know if I originally had the "55" going there or not... but if I did, I've long amended that since then.....

As far as I can remember though, I had the 62 (newark-elizabeth split) serving jersey gardens & never had the "55" & the 62 both going to JG....

- The 57 terminating in downtown elizabeth isn't a cut back - that's what it currently does...

The real 56 is the route that runs to north elizabeth every hour; both routes don't run up there....

I just realized I never responded to this:

I just realized that the reason I originally thought of this area needing service was because I was surfing Google Streetview, and found out there's a housing project down by Victor & Millstone. Then there's some more units along Parkside Avenue that I assume are part of the same complex, so I thought it was weird that a housing project in a fairly dense area doesn't have any sort of transit nearby (unless they go all the way to Jersey Avene for the M4).

The route could take Easton-Somerset-College-Hamilton-Franklin-Somerset-Van Dyke-Jersey, and then terminate at the Jersey Avenue station. (I'm not sure if they're projects, but there's another housing complex along Wright Place, served by the M4)

Ideally, I'd like it to serve more of the residential part of Somerset, but the only way to do that would be as some kind of loop.

Alright, cool. Thanks. (This time I bookmarked it so I can just look back to it).

I think rutgers serves that area with their free buses.

I think rutgers serves that area with their free buses.

Here's the list of shuttles they provide.

I don't feel like looking at each schedule right now, but I doubt they provide a service to a regular residential neighborhood that just happens to be nearby. Aside from that, from what I've heard, most of the students who live off-campus live south of the tracks.