Lawmaker rips new MetroCard surcharge as ‘unfair’ to northeast Queens

mark1447

[float=left]post-5097-0-53730400-1344959369_thumb.jpg[/float]The new “green” MetroCard surcharge is making one northeast Queens lawmaker red in the face.

Assemblyman Edward Braunstein blasted the (MTA) on Tuesday, saying the $1 surcharge to encourage riders to re-use the cards is unfair to bus riders in his district.

Many riders buy their MetroCards at...

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-53730400-1344959369_thumb.jpg

I agree, I live in SE Queens and it is hard to get a metrocard.. (The nearest check cashing place to me is kind of far and is far away from the Q85)

Certain parts of Queens have no places to buy metrocards forcing them to go to LIRR as said in the article...

It is kind of unfair, bad enough we all live far away from subways, have long commutes and have to rely on buses to get to hubs (not everybody can afford the LIRR, saying that because certain people always tell me to take the LIRR but I'm 17 and I can't afford it)..

The only way this can be fixed as it seems that this surcharge looks like its going to effect is:

1) Fix the machines in LIRR so that people CAN refill their metrocards.

OR

2) Sell metrocards at more deli's/corner stores/check cashing places in far off areas (not only NE/SE Queens)

I agree, I live in SE Queens and it is hard to get a metrocard.. (The nearest check cashing place to me is kind of far and is far away from the Q85)

Certain parts of Queens have no places to buy metrocards forcing them to go to LIRR as said in the article...

It is kind of unfair, bad enough we all live far away from subways, have long commutes and have to rely on buses to get to hubs (not everybody can afford the LIRR, saying that because certain people always tell me to take the LIRR but I'm 17 and I can't afford it)..

The only way this can be fixed as it seems that this surcharge looks like its going to effect is:

1) Fix the machines in LIRR so that people CAN refill their metrocards.

OR

2) Sell metrocards at more deli's/corner stores/check cashing places in far off areas (not only NE/SE Queens)

Metro-North also has TVMs that cannot be used to refills. I think both MNCR/LIRR TVMs should be allowed to refill. SIRTOA could also use MVMs as well. They just want people to go to retailers, go to select places where MVMs are located (outside the NYCS) and MetroCard Bus/truck, which are ether not accessible to some and/or not available all the times (MC Bus/Truck)

OR, don't charge a surcharge for metrocards purchased from MNR/LIRR MVM's.

Even IF they don't charge a surcharge, I would still add the option to refill. It sucks to get a MetroCard you would need to buy a combined ticket...

I'm completely for this surcharge in some ways, however I see the people who will really be affected being the tourists buying cards they might not know how to refill and will only be using for a few days. Though really, it's those peoples' responsibility to know how to refill their cards and avoid the fees, so really I'm completely for this surcharge. The ()' /> is in a bad financial situation, tons of people buy new MetroCards instead of refilling them, so the ()' /> could make a big financial gain from this. Perhaps if they make or save enough money with this fee we can see more cuts restored. People in areas with no MVMs that can't refill their card should either A. sign up for EasyPayXpress or B. know their balance and refill at a subway station when it gets low.

I'm completely for this surcharge in some ways, however I see the people who will really be affected being the tourists buying cards they might not know how to refill and will only be using for a few days. Though really, it's those peoples' responsibility to know how to refill their cards and avoid the fees, so really I'm completely for this surcharge. The ()' /> is in a bad financial situation, tons of people buy new MetroCards instead of refilling them, so the ()' /> could make a big financial gain from this. Perhaps if they make or save enough money with this fee we can see more cuts restored. People in areas with no MVMs that can't refill their card should either A. sign up for EasyPayXpress or B. know their balance and refill at a subway station when it gets low.

I'm split on this because I do agree that people cost waste by not refilling their cards, but in a way the MTA is at fault as well. We only recently have been able to refill Unlimited MetroCards so folks got into the habit of buying new ones just because they had no choice in most cases. Most New Yorkers use Unlimited MetroCards so a vast majority of them would have to buy new ones. Now you're asking tons of people to rethink their habits claiming that it will be green for the environment (which is true), but also crying about how much it costs to print MetroCards. The other issue I have is penalizing folks that don't live near subways or have access to places that sell MetroCards. I considered the EasyPasyExpress option when I lived on Staten Island, but that is only for Pay-Per-Ride cards, which many New Yorkers don't use. Then you have stores that often times run out of all types of MetroCards in areas where there are no subways, so for those who aren't in a position to get them why should they be forced to pay a surcharge? In sum there is no question that changes need to be made if they're going to put this into effect so that it applies to everyone fairly.

Metro-North also has TVMs that cannot be used to refills. I think both MNCR/LIRR TVMs should be allowed to refill. SIRTOA could also use MVMs as well. They just want people to go to retailers, go to select places where MVMs are located (outside the NYCS) and MetroCard Bus/truck, which are ether not accessible to some and/or not available all the times (MC Bus/Truck)

Sirtoa does have MVMs. What are you talking about?

Metro-North also has TVMs that cannot be used to refills. I think both MNCR/LIRR TVMs should be allowed to refill.

MNCR only sells a limited type of metro cards. A flat $20 card, a two ride metro card in combination with a round trip ticket and a $45 "refillable" metro card in combination with the monthy commutation ticket. Being MNCR and NYCT are separate agencies under the MTA's umbrela is the reason not all are avalible.

Metro North's TVM's are different animals than NYCT's MVM's. MNCR's machines do not have a card reader on them to read the value of the metro card nor is it equipted to add funds to one. Just as NYCT's MVM's don't have the capability of issuing printed train tickets.

Even with the $45 refillable combination ticket MNCR offers, I would not recommend refilling them. You have to fill them in a NYCT metro card machine and the ticket often gets jammed. The transit metro cards are plastic and MNCR's are a thicker printable cardboard stock causing problems with the machines. I've gotten too many complains about passengers commutation tickets getting jamed when they've attempted to refill them. There isn't a think MNCR can do since it's not their machines.

MNCR only sells a limited type of metro cards. A flat $20 card, a two ride metro card in combination with a round trip ticket and a $45 "refillable" metro card in combination with the monthy commutation ticket. Being MNCR and NYCT are separate agencies under the MTA's umbrela is the reason not all are avalible.

Metro North's TVM's are different animals than NYCT's MVM's. MNCR's machines do not have a card reader on them to read the value of the metro card nor is it equipted to add funds to one. Just as NYCT's MVM's don't have the capability of issuing printed train tickets.

Even with the $45 refillable combination ticket MNCR offers, I would not recommend refilling them. You have to fill them in a NYCT metro card machine and the ticket often gets jammed. The transit metro cards are plastic and MNCR's are a thicker printable cardboard stock causing problems with the machines. I've gotten too many complains about passengers commutation tickets getting jamed when they've attempted to refill them. There isn't a think MNCR can do since it's not their machines.

The paper cards are horribly unreliable when it comes to plain reading, not just refilling.

Any proof that the MTA would charge the fee for cards purchased from railroad machines?

Good, its about time lawmakers speak out against this extra surcharge, I don't believe for a second this is for the environment, its cuz the MTA wants to pass the cost of the metro cards to riders. Many Long Islanders who go to the city for the day, buy the combination metrocard with their train ticket. Its time the MTA stop finding extra ways to nickle and dime riders

Good, its about time lawmakers speak out against this extra surcharge, I don't believe for a second this is for the environment, its cuz the MTA wants to pass the cost of the metro cards to riders. Many Long Islanders who go to the city for the day, buy the combination metrocard with their train ticket. Its time the MTA stop finding extra ways to nickle and dime riders

your forgetting that those with merged monthlies in the mail will not pay the surcharge right? last I checked this only applies to separate metrocards plus all unlimited cards can be refilled easily EZPAY HAS a monthly unlimited option so bypassing the surcharge is very easy.

your forgetting that those with merged monthlies in the mail will not pay the surcharge right? last I checked this only applies to separate metrocards plus all unlimited cards can be refilled easily EZPAY HAS a monthly unlimited option so bypassing the surcharge is very easy.

not everyone buys an unlimited each month, the high cost up front of such a card and the hassle of loosing it are some reasons that some people may stick with pay per rides.

Either way Im not talking about the unirail combo tickets, what I am talking about is the $4.50 pay per ride attached to the one way and round trip tickets, or the people who buy their tickets at the machines in Penn Station. This is going to hurt the casual riders and the tourists, who already lost a valuable user-friendly way to get around the city in the one day unlimited already.

Other cities offer one day unlimited passes on their systems, I know I got one when I was in Boston in May.

not everyone buys an unlimited each month, the high cost up front of such a card and the hassle of loosing it are some reasons that some people may stick with pay per rides.

Either way Im not talking about the unirail combo tickets, what I am talking about is the $4.50 pay per ride attached to the one way and round trip tickets, or the people who buy their tickets at the machines in Penn Station. This is going to hurt the casual riders and the tourists, who already lost a valuable user-friendly way to get around the city in the one day unlimited already.

Other cities offer one day unlimited passes on their systems, I know I got one when I was in Boston in May.

true BUT those who use the system everyday and choose payperride are BEYOND STUPID cause they end up paying even more at end of the month anyway like $150 I did the math. sadly many ppl can't count. Day pass needs to return. This surcharge has so many easy loopholes I could care less

I personally think the worst thing the MTA did was get rid of the daily fun passes as tourists loved them. They wouldn't have to do the math and figure out how many rides they needed and pay the appropriate amount. Bring back the fun pass and charge a few more $ so it will be worth while. Charge $10 or so that way they'll get unlimited use for the day for less than the cost of 5 individual rides.

Pretty much how I feel on this subject.

I loved the one and three day pass, but they were eliminated. Now, I buy a $20 card with the 7% bonus so the card is worth $21.40. I add $1.10 to bring the card's value up to $22.50 which is 10 rides. When the 10 rides are used up, I throw away the car and buy another $20 card and repeat. I get the benefit of the bonus every time I buy a card instead of only once if I just refill.

Washington, DC uses a smart trip card which has a computer chip, not a swipe strip. However, you need a slide rule to figure out the fare because it changes during the day. BUT using the smart trip card is always cheaper than a paper fare card.

I loved the one and three day pass, but they were eliminated. Now, I buy a $20 card with the 7% bonus so the card is worth $21.40. I add $1.10 to bring the card's value up to $22.50 which is 10 rides. When the 10 rides are used up, I throw away the car and buy another $20 card and repeat. I get the benefit of the bonus every time I buy a card instead of only once if I just refill.

Washington, DC uses a smart trip card which has a computer chip, not a swipe strip. However, you need a slide rule to figure out the fare because it changes during the day. BUT using the smart trip card is always cheaper than a paper fare card.

Not quite as cheap, I'd rather take MetroBus during "peak hours" and MetroRail during "off-peak hours" and get the one day unlimited, it saves me a lot of money this way, I frequently spend up to $20.00 and my CharmCard is kinda in the negatives.

Not quite as cheap, I'd rather take MetroBus during "peak hours" and MetroRail during "off-peak hours" and get the one day unlimited, it saves me a lot of money this way, I frequently spend up to $20.00 and my CharmCard is kinda in the negatives.

For those who don't know, the one day unlimited can only be used on the subway after 9:30 AM weekdays. There is no unlimited card that can be used on the buses. Also, there's a $1 surcharge if you use a paper farecard on each trip.

Archived