The MTA heading your way with good news!

Shortline Bus

image.jpg

"It’s budget time at the MTA and there’s actually good news: Transit officials are poised to allocate tens of millions of dollars for additional bus, subway and commuter train service — and plan to make permanent a popular expansion of the G train in Brooklyn, sources said.

Metropolitan Transportation Authority executives have been drafting and revising lists of rider-friendly initiatives that include restoring some — but certainly not all — of the service that was whacked in 2010 to close a canyon-like budget deficit, the sources said.

Now, the authority’s finances have improved to the point that transit executives are confident they can ramp up service in parts of the system where planners and managers believe it is most needed and practical.

A majority of the restorations will be in Brooklyn and the Bronx, which makes sense because those boroughs were hit the hardest by the bus-heavy budget cuts two years ago, the sources said.

MTA Chairman Joseph Lhota and top transit executives will unveil the service upgrades as they present revised financial plans to the MTA board next week. Some of the dropped routes will be brought back to life — though one source said those will be few in number."

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...3#ixzz20nHlXxij

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some things I want to see:

Restoration of the B23, and restoration of the B64 to Coney Island and restore full time B4 service to Sheepshead Bay. I want to see those before anything else. I also want to see increased service on the B67 as well...

Guys this is a huge story that IMO needed to be in both the subway and bus thread. So please let us focus here only on the rumored restored bus service on some lines. If you want to comment on the planned permanent G train expansion to Church Ave and increased headways/more trains on weekends and late evenings you can comment in this thread please. Thanks

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/35988-mta-heading-your-way-with-good-news-expect-permanent-g-train-expansion/?do=findComment&comment=557400

As you know, I'm rooting for restored weekend/overnight Bx34 bus service (if MTA could choose only one of these, obviously restored weekend service).

Other things I'd like to see:

1) Restoration of the weekend Bx55 LTD

2) Service increases on the Bx1/2 and the routes serving Co-op City (Bx12 +select is already slated for increases in Sept.)

3) Increased Bx40/42 service (and, if possible, make one of them a Limited - similar to the Bx1/2 setup - as a way to speed service and save money due to shortened round-trip times)

I could be wrong but here a guess on what services might be restored. Since i lived in Brooklyn (until 2006)for majority of my life most of my comments will focus on that. In no order.

1)"B64" service to/from Stillwell Terminal restored. However i don't think it returning to 86th Street/4th Ave. Thus it's running between Shore Rd/71st Street and CI via Bay Ridge Ave, 13th Ave and Bath Ave running daily 6am-Midnight 7 days a week.

2)"B4" returning to/from Knapp Street 7 days a week w/ late evning service i.e 11pm-130am start/end at Sheapshead Bay station.

3)"BX20" returning all day service weekdays running between 246th/Henry Hudson and Inwood-207th. "BX7" suffers from terrible bunching.

4)BX34 weekend service IMO will be restored. However i don't think overnight service is returning.

5)"B67" getting more service but i don't think overnight service is returning.

6)"M8" returns weekend service but no overnight service.

7)Wild card. The "B24" weekend service returns for growing Greenpoint Ave coordior. I could see it run weekends only running only between Manhattan Ave. & Greenpoint (G) station and Queens Blvd/48th St in Sunnyside as new lower costs hotels i.e econo lodge and lofts/apartments open in area.

8)I don't think the Q79 will return but i can see the (MTA) extending the Q30 or even the Q12 up and down Little Neck Pwy weekdays only to terminate at the Little Neck LIRR station(q30) or Hoarace Harding/Little Neck Pwy (Q12).

The B39 Williamsburg Bridge (should be returned as weekday only line) and B51 Manhattan Bridge I don't think is ever returning. Despite fact the Essex (J)(M) station is not ADA accesible.

Or the BX 55 returning weekend service but i can a BX15 Limited being created as a compromise.

Just some quick thoughts. :D

I wonder if they'll restore weekend X27 and X28 service

I've been in touch with Marty Golden's office for over a year on this issue. The communities affected by the loss of weekend service of the X27 and X28 have been very vocal about getting it restored and we are hopeful that at some point service will be restored. For now it is an ongoing process. Mary's office has been keeping me in the loop not only on the X27 and X28, but also on other local bus routes in Brooklyn, particularly Southern Brooklyn in areas like Marine Park, Gerritsen Beach and Sheepshead Bay and Bath Beach (B2, B31, B4 and B64 respectively). Requests will be made not only by Golden's office but other representatives from these areas (i.e. Sheepshead Bay) to the (MTA) for restoration of service and hopefully will be combined to step up the pressure, so when I hear something I'll post it here.

The one thing that needs to be done is to understand why these routes were cut in the first place. Yes, money was the main issue but what I mean is, what can be done to make these routes more efficient so that they stick around and are used? Perhaps the (MTA) should consider open forums in these communities to get a better understanding of what the affected communities need. In talking with Marty for example via e-mail, he and I both agreed that cutting back the B31 and B2 would put a strangehold on Gerritsen Beach and Marine Park and keep people who may consider traveling home, or force them to use more expensive means for commuting.

Or the BX 55 returning weekend service but i can a BX15 Limited being created as a compromise.

I like the Bx15 LTD idea (it'd just be a re-branding of the Bx55 LTD). I'd have local Bx15 buses turn either at Lincoln/136 with the Bx1/2/21/32 or Bruckner/Alexander (to make turning easier since there's less traffic), while the LTDs continue to 125 St. Could be a money-saver while retaining frequent LTD service. This could make weekend LTD implementation easier (and encourage ridership - especially on weekends - since the LTDs would go beyond 149 St).

I am not going to debate VG8 in detail again on it but again the cuts hit Brooklyn and the Bronx the hardest, The (MTA) screw up and did not want go to the communities enough and asked for advice on ways to make the cuts "Less painful" before June 2010. It's true the (MTA) maybe could have down more IN HOUSE cuts to the managers and exces of thousands. However that a Albany issue dealing with the Governor's office.

On the B2, B31 and X27/28 I repeat again and VG8 may hate it but speaking from the truth. The B2 should have kept at least Saturday service while the B31 should run until 2am (last bus arriving at Gerristean Beach). In other words the B31 should be a 22-hour route running from 4am(5am sunday morning)-2am. On restoring pre June service to the B4 and B64(I doubt it returning to running on 86th ST)I agree 1000%.

While the X27/28 weekend trips does ever return, run it 1st with hourly Saturday service. If funding is available later than restore Hourly Sunday service. Sunday service on the X27/28 was dead and needed to be cut. Dont care what VG8 says telling the truth since the X17 also does not run on Sundays.

My takes.

I've been in touch with Marty Golden's office for over a year on this issue. The communities affected by the loss of weekend service of the X27 and X28 have been very vocal about getting it restored and we are hopeful that at some point service will be restored. For now it is an ongoing process. Mary's office has been keeping me in the loop not only on the X27 and X28, but also on other local bus routes in Brooklyn, particularly Southern Brooklyn in areas like Marine Park, Gerritsen Beach and Sheepshead Bay and Bath Beach (B2, B31, B4 and B64 respectively). Requests will be made not only by Golden's office but other representatives from these areas (i.e. Sheepshead Bay) to the (MTA) for restoration of service and hopefully will be combined to step up the pressure, so when I hear something I'll post it here.

The one thing that needs to be done is to understand why these routes were cut in the first place. Yes, money was the main issue but what I mean is, what can be done to make these routes more efficient so that they stick around and are used? Perhaps the (MTA) should consider open forums in these communities to get a better understanding of what the affected communities need. In talking with Marty for example via e-mail, he and I both agreed that cutting back the B31 and B2 would put a strangehold on Gerritsen Beach and Marine Park and keep people who may consider traveling home, or force them to use more expensive means for commuting.

I like the Bx15 LTD idea (it'd just be a re-branding of the Bx55 LTD). I'd have local Bx15 buses turn either at Lincoln/136 with the Bx1/2/21/32 or Bruckner/Alexander (to make turning easier since there's less traffic), while the LTDs continue to 125 St. Could be a money-saver while retaining frequent LTD service. This could make weekend LTD implementation easier (and encourage ridership - especially on weekends - since the LTDs would go beyond 149 St).

I would have the BX55 Limited run as a weekday only run between Gun Hill and 149th St/3rd on all trips with slight headways reductions. While the BX15 Limited runs 7 days a week. I wonder what "Mr Bronx" COTB16 got to say lol.

I am not going to debate VG8 in detail again on it but again the cuts hit Brooklyn and the Bronx the hardest, The (MTA) screw up and did not want go to the communities enough and asked for advice on ways to make the cuts "Less painful" before June 2010. It's true the (MTA) maybe could have down more IN HOUSE cuts to the managers and exces of thousands. However that a Albany issue dealing with the Governor's office.

On the B2, B31 and X27/28 I repeat again and VG8 may hate it but speaking from the truth. The B2 should have kept at least Saturday service while the B31 should run until 2am (last bus arriving at Gerristean Beach). In other words the B31 should be a 22-hour route running from 4am(5am sunday morning)-2am. On restoring pre June service to the B4 and B64(I doubt it returning to running on 86th ST)I agree 1000%.

While the X27/28 returns with hourly Saturday service. If funding is available later than restore Hourly Sunday service. Sunday service on the X27/28 was dead and needed to be cut. Dont care what VG8 says telling the truth since the X17 also does not run on Sundays.

My takes.

I'm not debating the issue at all. A question was asked by lilbluefoxie and I simply gave an update on what was going on. You're entitled to your opinion, but that's the latest on the situation last I heard.

I hope routes suffering from overcrowding get service increases. If push comes to shove I would rather that happen than see service cuts from 2010 restored. The existing buses in many cases have issues that the MTA can certainly address with their new and improved budget.

As you know, I'm rooting for restored weekend/overnight Bx34 bus service (if MTA could choose only one of these, obviously restored weekend service).

2) Service increases on the Bx1/2 and the routes serving Co-op City (Bx12 +select is already slated for increases in Sept.)

3) Increased Bx40/42 service (and, if possible, make one of them a Limited - similar to the Bx1/2 setup - as a way to speed service and save money due to shortened round-trip times)

1) Agree

2) Agree

3) Agree, and it's the Bx42 that's gonna be an All Day Limited-Stop Service.

I'm hoping that the M98LTD will not only have service restoration south of E 68th St, but it would see All Weekday Service running every 15 minutes during rush hours (6:00-9:30 AM and 4:00-7:30 PM) and every 30 minutes during off-peak hours (9:30 AM-4:00 PM and 7:30-10:00 PM).

As much as I like this....

This is a surefire sign of a fare hike coming.....yay!! /sarcasm

lol... At least now they can claim that passengers are getting something for the raise, though I don't know if that will mean improved service, but rather more bunched buses.

Shortline:

That useless waste of diesel, the Bx20, can go straight to Hell. They need to eliminate that line and increase service on the Bx7 and Bx10, especially the Bx10. A line like the Bx20 that parallels the Bx7 and Bx10 the way it does should not be in operation as long as its frequency is so poor. Completely wasteful, redundant, provides inconsistent relief for the Bx7 and Bx10, and essentially serves no purpose. I say this as somebody who lived there for 20 years.

Well, they did say that they have extra money on hand for these service increases.

I always thought this extra money on hand was caused by FastTrack making construction work more efficient and not having to run Long Island Bus anymore

I always thought this extra money on hand was caused by FastTrack making construction work more efficient and not having to run Long Island Bus anymore

Well, here's what the article says:
The latest monthly report on MTA finances to be posted online shows it has $90 million more on hand than it projected back in February. The MTA is in better shape largely because the economy is in better shape: Employment in the city has been steadily rising and that has translated into more riders. And to its credit, the MTA has also kept expenses below budget.

Shortline:

That useless waste of diesel, the Bx20, can go straight to Hell. They need to eliminate that line and increase service on the Bx7 and Bx10, especially the Bx10. A line like the Bx20 that parallels the Bx7 and Bx10 the way it does should not be in operation as long as its frequency is so poor. Completely wasteful, redundant, provides inconsistent relief for the Bx7 and Bx10, and essentially serves no purpose. I say this as somebody who lived there for 20 years.

Well what are folks supposed to do who need the Bx20 along Henry Hudson Parkway?? <_< Me personally I'm indifferent since it is no benefit to me, but still. I would have to agree that it doesn't seem to run that great though.

I wonder if the Bx24 would end up getting extended to Parkchester...

Shortline:

While the Bx20 maybe not be useful, because its a short route. There are people who do ride it. I've even witnessed people alount Spuyten who wondered if the Bx20 was coming.

Another option, would be to use the M100. While it maybe long, I'd just have it end right around 239th and HH Parkway. If its still to long.

I think the Bx55 should just stick to Bx55, so people won't feud every time they see a Bx15 and think its a local, but its a limited. See that sometimes on certain LTD service.

Bx40 or Bx42 LTD would be nice.

In between Manhattan & Queens the routes I wanna see restored when they to it are:

M1: Please bring back to South Ferry. Last time I was on the M1 myself & the other passengers were confused as hell as the bus terminated at East Village & not South Ferry as the bus stops advertised. Plus I don't even see much riders utilizing the M5 to the area like they did with the M1.

M104: Return to U.N. As I've said many times already but tnere has to be something to assist the M42 heading towards the U.N. With the increased buching & infrequency (mainly speaking for Rush Hours).

Q30/Q79: If not restore the Q79 to an extent then re-instate overnight service to the Q30. Little Neck at least one form of bus service around their area.

1. Taking the Bx20 to the IND rather than the Bx10/Bx20 to the IRT to go wherever saves little to no time (and actually takes longer in many cases) because the IRT and IND parallel each other from one end of Manhattan to the other.

If, on the other hand, they had the Bx20 run local in Riverdale but nonstop via 230 (not freaking 231 for crying out loud) and then Broadway and it only stopped at 225, Isham, and 207, then there would be a reason for it to continue existing as it would be worth riding to the IND and would still allow people to get to the Bx12, although unfortunately there does not seem to be enough of a demand for the connection to the latter to be improved by increasing Bx20 service frequency. If they do not do this nonstop operation, straight to Hell with this line.

2. The Bx12 is the only bus anybody in Riverdale really needs to reach or wants to reach but cannot be reached using the Bx10 and can be reached using the Bx20.

3. Other than the Bx12, there are no buses anybody from Riverdale needs to reach using the Bx20.

4. Because of all this, nobody would be paying an extra fare to get where they need to go if the Bx20 were completely discontinued, unless they wanted the Bx12 or the IND. But the IND is 99% useless for Riverdale people because it is faster to just take the IRT and the IND looks even more useless here since the Bx20 transfers to the IRT BEFORE IT EVEN TRANSFERS TO THE IND.

5. Yes, If they killed the Bx20 and extended the M100 that would be good too. Only problem is that it might KO the M100's adherence to schedule (whatever is left of it anyway).

By the way just because I said the IND looks even more useless does not mean that my comments are based on perception in any way whatsoever. I actually timed this stuff and could easily time or calculate it again.

In any case the only way the Bx20 should stay is if they do the nonstop operation I described and they run no fewer than 5 to 6 BPH rush hours and 4 BPH off-hours, except from about 20:00 to 06:00 or so. If not, I call MTA fail, Bronx fail, bus fail, Riverdale fail, Bx7 fail, Bx10 fail, Bx20 fail, and whatever other fails you want to throw in there.

Archived