The MTA heading your way with good news!

Shortline Bus

For Co Op City bring back the Bx25 (rush hours only) but have it run the Bx26 original route running all throughout Co Op City for a compromise. The Bx25/Bx26 would just have their routes reversed from the pre 2010 service, MTA still gets their savings off peak since the Bx26 would stay the way it is now.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Co Op City bring back the Bx25 (rush hours only) but have it run the Bx26 original route running all throughout Co Op City for a compromise.

I've never understood why it was so "heinous" and "evil" that Section 5 riders finally got a direct route to/from Gun Hill Road. Why is it so absolutely essential to force them on a 10-minute detour through the rest of Co-op City? Don't the folks in Sections 1-4 like empty seats?

I'm probably the only one who wants to see the M1 go back to South Ferry. I also think that the M8 needs to come back on the weekends. 8th St is crowded on the weekends and it needs the bus service. Also, the M104 is definately needed across 42nd St. It's a regular thing to see the M42 packed like a sardine can during the weekdays AND the weekends its definately needed. And it would be cool to see the M6 return too.

For the Bronx, the Bx34 needs to return on the weekends. That was one of the silliest cuts the (MTA) did. And as I said earlier, the Bx 26 and the Bx28 needs to return to their pre-2010 routes. I don't know how they would work with the Bx38 cause I could see that sticking around, but Co-op City needs to have service where it was before the cuts.

The M1 shouldn't go back to South Ferry, that was a long-a$$ route second only to the current M5.

I've never understood why it was so "heinous" and "evil" that Section 5 riders finally got a direct route to/from Gun Hill Road. Why is it so absolutely essential to force them on a 10-minute detour through the rest of Co-op City? Don't the folks in Sections 1-4 like empty seats?

I agree, but he's talking about having the Bx26 serve all sections while the Bx25 serves 4/5...

The M1 shouldn't go back to South Ferry, that was a long-a$$ route second only to the current M5.

I agree, but he's talking about having the Bx26 serve all sections while the Bx25 serves 4/5...

Actually the M1 wasn't too Long compared to other buses at times when it went to south Ferry, for example: the M10 was longer than the M1 before 1999, the M5 was longer than the M1 and the M104 was also longer than the M1 in all terms. Just because it's long doesn't mean if it's extended that it will cause chaos. You could though say that for the Q60, Q32, and Q44, as well as some other routes with traffic problems or horrible headways, like the B4 or B61. The M1 isn't really that long if you think about t, because it doesn't turn a lot. Most of the route is on 5th Avenue and Madison, except northbound north of 139 street when buses utilize 5th Avenue instead of Madison Avenue.

Now, I know the M10 didn't go to South Ferry before '99, but it was longer than the M1 if you stretch th route of or if you do a google maps presentation of it

Actually the M1 wasn't too Long compared to other buses at times when it went to south Ferry, for example: the M10 was longer than the M1 before 1999, the M5 was longer than the M1 and the M104 was also longer than the M1 in all terms. Just because it's long doesn't mean if it's extended that it will cause chaos. You could though say that for the Q60, Q32, and Q44, as well as some other routes with traffic problems or horrible headways, like the B4 or B61. The M1 isn't really that long if you think about t, because it doesn't turn a lot. Most of the route is on 5th Avenue and Madison, except northbound north of 139 street when buses utilize 5th Avenue instead of Madison Avenue.

Now, I know the M10 didn't go to South Ferry before '99, but it was longer than the M1 if you stretch th route of or if you do a google maps presentation of it

Correction. Maybe it did before i starting as a NYC transit fan (1980-'81)but as far as i know the "M10" never went to South Ferry. Further was the M10 went downtown is the now Battery Park City area.

Speaking of Red Hook/Park Slope here article in this morning Daily News in which suggest the "B77" might be a handful of bus routes that could be brought back to life later this year or early in 2013.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1115599

On Park Slope revisions, I would keep the B61 and use the B77 as my Red Hook/Park Slope shuttle.

The "new" B77 would run along it's old route between to/from Smith/9th Sts. then serve the Pathmark Shopping center on 12nd Street between Hamilton and 2nd Ave. Then via 9th St. and terminate at Prospect Park West/20th Street. I suggest the B77 serving Pathmark since it's the only huge Supermarket chain in that area.

This is same routing as old B75/77 took during closure of the 9th Street Bridge during most of the 1990's.

9th Street does needs '2' full time buses. The B77 would run daily 530am-1am. Reactions?

Split the damn B61! You've heard the outcry from folks who rely on that line since that extension was made and it was evident that this extension was a BAD idea! I've had my own bad experiences with the B61, hell, I had to bypass buses because some were too damn crowded!

Split the damn B61! You've heard the outcry from folks who rely on that line since that extension was made and it was evident that this extension was a BAD idea! I've had my own bad experiences with the B61, hell, I had to bypass buses because some were too damn crowded!

It's fine. The route needs more frequent buses, too many people ride from Park Slope to simply split it...

It's fine. The route needs more frequent buses, too many people ride from Park Slope to simply split it...

It's fine?!

1. Too much bunching

2. Too much overcrowding to the point where you can't ride the buses.

3. Delays that are longer than usual than any other route in Brooklyn.

Mind you, it was the PARK SLOPE residents that kept bitching about these exact problems, send the B77 back down to the slope, this 61 is terrible even WITH bustime!

It's fine?!

1. Too much bunching

Mind you, it was the PARK SLOPE residents that kept bitching about these exact problems, send the B77 back down to the slope, this 61 is terrible even WITH bustime!

The best thing I can think is to restore the B75 and run it with the B61. That would help.

Quarterly meetings? What are you talking about? Operating committees meet every month, except for August.

Whenever they do those routine service changes, they do that every 3 months, so I would think that a major service change like that (restoring the routes) would be at one of those quarterly meetings.

Whenever they do those routine service changes, they do that every 3 months, so I would think that a major service change like that (restoring the routes) would be at one of those quarterly meetings.

Actually Checkmate both you and Amtrak are correct. The (MTA) meets every month other than August which he pointed out. While you(Checkmate)pointed out the quarterly meetings (the next one in sept.)is when major service changes are approved.

Thus next week Lhota and his staff will make his proposal and by Sept. it more than likely be rubberstamped for approval by the full board.

The earliest these so called 'upgrades" will occur will be towards the end of this year or early in 2013.

The best thing I can think is to restore the B75 and run it with the B61. That would help.

That's not helping at all because that's almost duplicating a route....by that logic, the B75 would run to Park Slope to Downtown Brooklyn with the B61 and the B75 ends near the Manhattan Bridge. How is that going to help?

Restoring the B77 would actually be more helpful because it would provide a 2nd alternative, but a shorter alternative. Making the B75 run with the B61 is like a version of the M102 and M103 in Brooklyn.

That's not helping at all because that's almost duplicating a route....by that logic, the B75 would run to Park Slope to Downtown Brooklyn with the B61 and the B75 ends near the Manhattan Bridge. How is that going to help?

Restoring the B77 would actually be more helpful because it would provide a 2nd alternative, but a shorter alternative. Making the B75 run with the B61 is like a version of the M102 and M103 in Brooklyn.

Make a Limited Stop bus LOL

My gut is that what going to happen Cait. IMO run the "B77" 7 days a week 6am-Midnight(no overnight service) and have the 61 as the 24/7 route for the Red Hook area.

It's fine?!

1. Too much bunching

I wouldn't say it's fine, but I wouldn't split the B61 either.....

- All they have to do is not have every bus run out to Windsor Terr.... Short turning like every other 61's at the old 77 terminal (in park slope; 5th/10th) would rectify the extent of the delays on that route....

- I'm not exactly sure what's causing the bunching on the route....

- The overcrowding comes from the fact that you have park slope, red hook, and carroll gdns/cobble hill patrons all on one bus - with the latter 3 areas being best served by it.... If the B61 (the one that went from queens to red hook) was never split, that (part in green) would have never been a problem...... There was nothin wrong w/ taking (that rendition of) the B61 to the 77 if you needed park slope..... That was one of the main reasons the 77 did as well as it did.....

Sure they have the 57, but let's face it, no one's taking the 57 b/c it only goes as far as gowanus & the service levels aren't the greatest......

IMO the B61 should remain the only bus in Red Hook but it should run at 6 minute headways rush hour, and at all other times 10 minute headways, late nights with 45 minute headways weekdays, weekends it should run at 0 minute headways

please tell me that's a mistake..... because you can't be seriously implicating that the B61 shouldn't run on weekends....

please tell me that's a mistake..... because you can't be seriously implicating that the B61 shouldn't run on weekends....

That's actually the opposite: 0 minute headways means that you have to wait 0 minutes for a bus (in other words, that's bus bunching to the extreme).

In any case, he probably meant 10 minutes.

I wouldn't say it's fine, but I wouldn't split the B61 either.....

- All they have to do is not have every bus run out to Windsor Terr.... Short turning like every other 61's at the old 77 terminal (in park slope; 5th/10th) would rectify the extent of the delays on that route....

- I'm not exactly sure what's causing the bunching on the route....

- The overcrowding comes from the fact that you have park slope, red hook, and carroll gdns/cobble hill patrons all on one bus - with the latter 3 areas being best served by it.... If the B61 (the one that went from queens to red hook) was never split, that (part in green) would have never been a problem...... There was nothin wrong w/ taking (that rendition of) the B61 to the 77 if you needed park slope..... That was one of the main reasons the 77 did as well as it did.....

Sure they have the 57, but let's face it, no one's taking the 57 b/c it only goes as far as gowanus & the service levels aren't the greatest......

Whoops, I meant 10 minutes, my bad

That's actually the opposite: 0 minute headways means that you have to wait 0 minutes for a bus (in other words, that's bus bunching to the extreme).

In any case, he probably meant 10 minutes.

I guess you can look at it either way...... that's the way I took it.....

Whoops, I meant 10 minutes, my bad

alright, cool

I guess you can look at it either way...... that's the way I took it.....

alright, cool

Because According to checkmate's way, there would be 86,400 buses running a day, which is way more than 5,900 buses the MTA has. 0 minute headways would be extreme chaos for the MTA. Because the buses don't pay themselves, and there really isn't a lot of money to build a garage for the B61 only to House 86,400 buses. And when you live on a high apartment building on 9th Street this is what you would see (as long as you don't live where the (F) or (G) pass

gridlock.jpg?w=720

Because According to checkmate's way, there would be 86,400 buses running a day, which is way more than 5,900 buses the MTA has. 0 minute headways would be extreme chaos for the MTA. Because the buses don't pay themselves, and there really isn't a lot of money to build a garage for the B61 only to House 86,400 buses.

LMAO. :D

Seriously back to topic. I am surprsied there not been MORE DISCUSSION on the following routes that was gone by the Doomsday Cuts. They are in No order:

B39, B51, B37, Q74, Q79, B71. Also weekend cuts to routes such as the B24, M8, M21, Q76, S66, X27/28, etc. Feel free guys if you want to mention any of those routes.

Archived