The MTA heading your way with good news!

Shortline Bus

The 2/3/4/5 aren't at capacity coming out of Brooklyn. The B/D/N/Q aren't at capacity coming out of Brooklyn. The R isn't at capacity coming out of Brooklyn. I think the A/C are at capacity during rush hours, but there's room for more trains on all of the other lines connecting Brooklyn to Lower Manhattan.

Andrew JC what about the eldery and ADA communities? Man NYC subway stations are still not accessible. IMO the B39 should still be running at least as a weekday only route. Essex is not ada accessible and many Williamsburg/North Brooklyn riders in wheelchairs used. And dont bring up access a ride which has alot of problems.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andrew JC what about the eldery and ADA communities? Man NYC subway stations are still not accessible. IMO the B39 should still be running at least as a weekday only route. Essex is not ada accessible and many Williamsburg/North Brooklyn riders in wheelchairs used. And dont bring up access a ride which has alot of problems.

I swear, every time a cut is proposed, everybody goes "Oh, what about the seniors & disabled?" It reminds me of the people who always say "think of the children". I mean, in some cases, it's just too much trouble to serve them.

I swear, every time a cut is proposed, everybody goes "Oh, what about the seniors & disabled?" It reminds me of the people who always say "think of the children". I mean, in some cases, it's just too much trouble to serve them.

1)If Access a Ride was more realible and better run 2)More subway stations was accesible than this would not be an issue checkmate. There tens of thousands of new yorkers who are disabled. Many people may not to address them but they exist, Just stating the truth.

We were discussing the B51, which has accessible subway alternatives.

As for the B39, most subway stations aren't accessible, yet alternate bus services aren't available covering most subway lines. If you are physically incapable of riding the subway and you can't reach your destination by bus, call Access-a-Ride. Running a bus on a regular schedule all day just in case somebody shows up in a wheelchair is terribly wasteful.

By the way, on weekends, the M train continues to a number of accessible stations in Manhattan, including West 4th and soon Broadway-Lafayette. How many people who can't climb stairs are actually going from specifically Marcy to specifically Essex? The B39 isn't of much use for any other station pair.

I wouldn't say that it's too much trouble. It's a matter of using the wrong tool to solve the problem.

Why can't the Q79 just be brought back and extended along Jamaica and Hillside Ave to 179 st. I would not have it stop at every stop just at the important ones at the main streets. If not have the Q36 run up little neck to union and have the Q12 has 2 branches one to Little Neck L.I.R.R and one to Union.

Yep, all an appeal to pity.....

Hate to put it like this, but I can imagine what the fare would be if no cuts were to ever be made, due in part to that reasoning.....

As for the B39, most subway stations aren't accessible, yet alternate bus services aren't available covering most subway lines. If you are physically incapable of riding the subway and you can't reach your destination by bus, call Access-a-Ride. Running a bus on a regular schedule all day just in case somebody shows up in a wheelchair is terribly wasteful.

By the way, on weekends, the M train continues to a number of accessible stations in Manhattan, including West 4th and soon Broadway-Lafayette. How many people who can't climb stairs are actually going from specifically Marcy to specifically Essex? The B39 isn't of much use for any other station pair.

Well, I'd just like to point out that you don't necessarily have to live near either end of the line in order to use it. You could be transferring from another line.

But yeah, it's just one specific station and if worse came to worse, you could try taking the (J)(Z) to Chambers Street for the M9, or just try walking from another ADA-accessable station nearby.

But come to think about it, there are a ton of other bus routes where the stations weren't ADA-accessable and yet very few people were using that as an argument to keep the bus routes (B13 in East Williamsburg, Q24 in Bushwick, etc).

Doesn't the Bx26 service Section 4 with Asch Loop?

MTA could try to do all day Bx25/Bx26 service, this would be Allerton Avenue's version of the Bx28/Bx38. The new Bx25 could run to Bay Plaza with the Bx38, or could run to section 5. This would give the other sections of Co Op City direct service to Allerton Avenue.

I forgot about Asch Loop (shows you how much I take the Bx26 now). A Bx38 version of the Bx26 would have been better than nothing but in the end, there's nothing like the original.

I forgot about Asch Loop (shows you how much I take the Bx26 now). A Bx38 version of the Bx26 would have been better than nothing but in the end, there's nothing like the original.

Even the original Bx26 was split up during rush hours before the Bx25 was introduced.

Enough with the elderly BS that argument gets old real fast and its beyond annoying. The form B51 took was USELESS if you want ppl to actually use it reroute it as a canal street crosstown extend to christopher st PATH DONE NOW STOP. I already made it clear it makes more sense to extend B24 over the williamsburg bridge to essex (F) DONE END OF DISCUSSION!!! Q79 needs to just be brought back then marketed better then eventually extended to a major hub in NYC that is NOT served by the Q36 or Q12 be back when something comes to me.

Ive said it before and I'll say it again, I just want the Bx26 and Bx28 to serve all of Co-op City and not just Section 5. That is all.

Why is it so essential that Section 5 riders not have direct service to Gun Hill Road or Allerton Avenue? How do they benefit from a forced 10-minute through the rest of Co-op City?

Okay, for Eastern Queens, you have few options on hand:

Option 1 Package: -End the Q12 @ the same Queens last stop as the QM3 /// Q30 @ the same Queens last stop as the QM5/8. I think the Bellrose and Floral Park Gap could be filled by the Q43 and Q36.

Option 2 Package: -Restore the Q79 Bus Route, running from Little Neck LIRR to Floral Park LIRR Station(s) on Weekdays in pre-2010 patterns.

An update guys for this morning 7/19/12.

"THE MTA will spend nearly $30 million to increase bus, subway and commuter train service in an effort to ease the pain caused by the 2010 budget cuts, the Daily News has learned.

A majority of the allocation — which amounts to about one-third of the money saved in the 2010 moves — will be used to run buses more frequently and extend some existing routes into new neighborhoods, sources said.

Metro-North and Long Island Rail Road riders also should see less crowding and shorter waits, sources said. Half-hour intervals between trains — the norm for the morning and evening rush hours — will be employed during off-peak travel times and weekends, sources said. Cars also will be added to commuter trains that were shortened in length in 2010, sources said."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-bring-back-subway-bus-commuter-rail-service-slashed-2010-budget-crisis-article-1.1117419#ixzz214hus7jl

1)If Access a Ride was more realible and better run 2)More subway stations was accesible than this would not be an issue checkmate. There tens of thousands of new yorkers who are disabled. Many people may not to address them but they exist, Just stating the truth.

No, let's not address them because those people aren't disabled or can get around fairly easily, so why would they care? Typical selfish pricks.

I don't think that the Manhattan Bridge trains are at capacity.

Did I mention the Manhattan Bridge lines?? I said some lines are at capacity. This is a matter of opinion and preference. You like the subways and you're able to access them. Good for you. It's not the same story for everyone. Some either can't access it or feel safer or it's more convenient using buses. If the bus has decent ridership it should be run and the point is that mass transit should be encouraged and not just subways either. Most transit agencies across the country understand that buses can play a vital role in a city's transportation infrastructure if they're used properly.

Why is it so essential that Section 5 riders not have direct service to Gun Hill Road or Allerton Avenue? How do they benefit from a forced 10-minute through the rest of Co-op City?

And what makes it so essential for Section 5 riders to have direct service to those areas? If you are going to use that argument, then why not complain that there isn't direct service for Section 2 or Section 3 to those places too.

I hope they replace the entire Q38 with extended portions of the Q88 and Q67, because that thing has been running like crap. I am almost sure the MTA won't do this, but I hope they make the Q38 more frequent rush hours, because it's a 14 minute wait for it rush hours

The Q38 should be cut and replaced by:

The Q88 to Middle Village,

The Q67 extended to Rego Park (with increased service b/w Middle Village and Rego Park)

The Q52, extended to Corona.

Did I mention the Manhattan Bridge lines?? I said some lines are at capacity. This is a matter of opinion and preference. You like the subways and you're able to access them. Good for you. It's not the same story for everyone. Some either can't access it or feel safer or it's more convenient using buses. If the bus has decent ridership it should be run and the point is that mass transit should be encouraged and not just subways either. Most transit agencies across the country understand that buses can play a vital role in a city's transportation infrastructure if they're used properly.

Well, regardless of whether there's enough ridership on these buses, I was addressing the point that you made in the context of the B51 discussion. You can't just say, "Some lines are at capacity, so we need a bus route here," when the lines that serve that area aren't at capacity. That was my point. If you were trying to make a general point about subway capacity, then I misunderstood you (because you brought it up in the context of the B51 discussion). And yes, I understand your point about riders who can't access the subway, but that's a separate argument.

Well, regardless of whether there's enough ridership on these buses, I was addressing the point that you made in the context of the B51 discussion. You can't just say, "Some lines are at capacity, so we need a bus route here," when the lines that serve that area aren't at capacity. That was my point. If you were trying to make a general point about subway capacity, then I misunderstood you (because you brought it up in the context of the B51 discussion). And yes, I understand your point about riders who can't access the subway, but that's a separate argument.

I thought it was pretty obvious what I was saying, but apparently not. <_<

I still believe that if they're gonna bring back the 39, the 51 should be brought back also (or vice versa).....

Not much sense in bringing back one & keeping the other discontinued..... Either bring back both of 'em or keep them both discontinued.....

Actually, Its not just wheelchair passengers. Sure, the B39 was never packed (unless subway service was disrupted), but it was a very useful route to many regular riders. 1) it links two Jewish neighborhoods and yes, there was Usage within this demographic. 2) Its an easier link to Williamsburg buses. 3) there ARE riders who go to and from LES from other parts of brooklyn and not everyone uses a Metrocard for the free subway/bus transfer.

By the way, on weekends, the M doesnt even go into manhattan. It runs from Metropolitan Av to Myrtle Ave/Broadway only.

I still believe that if they're gonna bring back the 39, the 51 should be brought back also (or vice versa).....

Not much sense in bringing back one & keeping the other discontinued..... Either bring back both of 'em or keep them both discontinued.....

Or have routes extended to cover those areas. I think the Red Hook routes if they're restored could be good candidates for at least one route.

Archived