Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Xkramz said:

Not sure how true but  gentleman called Paul Navarro  said 50 track workers being hired every 2 weeks.  Just FYI 

TWU MOW chairman I believe. Make sure you send him your email. He’ll keep you abreast of good info. 

Edited by G13

4 hours ago, mediccjh said:

Another piece of advice:

PAY ATTENTION IN THE FLAGGING CLASSES!!!!!

If your flags are set up improperly, YOU CAN DIE.

Indeed, it's also the easiest way to end up at 2 Broadway, and for some that's worse than death.

I say this as well, because I've mentioned incompetent supervision. Make sure you know how to set up your lights, especially in switch areas, and if you're working in an area with bi-directional traffic ( single tracking ). Straight track and adjacent setups are pretty straight forward. Again some of these foreman either don't know or like to take chances. So know your lights.

Also if and when you guys set up G.O. limits to take a track out of service for nightly or weekend work, make sure the paperwork matches the home signal / reverse home signal, and or marker lights. You don't want to be the guy that takes the wrong track out of service.

Edited by SteveNYC

18 hours ago, Aahhhwoooooo said:

Great explanation guys. Young, thanks for asking the important questions that we sometimes forget to ask.  My orientation is tomorrow morning.  I hope to apply this new knowledge during these first couple of weeks!

You're welcome. For those of us who are going through this for the first time, remember that no question is ever a dumb question!!

10 hours ago, G13 said:

TWU MOW chairman I believe. Make sure you send him your email. He’ll keep you abreast of good info. 

His email can be found at the bottom of this page.

Edited by +Young+

51 minutes ago, J2wresnwood said:

😳. Is there anything that I can read or study be my class starts to get a head start ? My class starts next month 

Nope, any reading materials you get will be in school. There's allot to take in, but give it a year or so it'll be second nature to you. You'll be fine as long as your head is in the game. The most important things you have to do your first year is, come to work everyday, be on time, don't use any sick time. If you have AVA's , OTO, or PLD that's okay to use. You'll learn about those during orientation. Your probation can be extended if you miss days that don't fall under those categories.

Also to everyone, if you should happen to get your girl of wife pregnant during probation, you will get maternity/paternity leave for 2 weeks. 2 weeks starts from when the baby is born, but it will extend your probation by 2 weeks. It happened to 3 guys I know that were in the class before me.

Rundown

OTO = Overtime that can be banked for days off 8 hours at a time. 72 hours is the cap or 9 days total. The 9 days cap it at the discretion of the dept you work in. In CN Capital Nights, they are enforcing it. You can either use it or cash it in at the end of the year.

AVA = Are holidays you pick up such as Memorial Day, Veterans Day, 4th of July etc. You can bank up to 20 of those and they carry over.

PLD = Personal leave day and you get one of those a year.

Basically avoid using any sick time, being late, or anything other that's detrimental to you passing probation.

7 hours ago, J2wresnwood said:

😳. Is there anything that I can read or study be my class starts to get a head start ? My class starts next month 

Go to the downloads section of this forum. 

As much as I'm against it  being posted on this forum for security and safety reasons you'll see a blue book that says "Rules and Regulations."

You can download it to read. 

As stated just concern yourself with the flagging rules section. 

3 hours ago, DomoThatGuy said:

I’m suppose to go in tomorrow for the medical is there anyway I can push it back for later this week ?

I'm in the 2800's, and it's been three weeks since my first drug test. Therefore, I'm going down tomorrow to find out what my story is. Hopefully there won't be an "error" of some sorts.

39 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

I overslept, so I never made it. Hopefully I'll make it sometime within the next week or two. Sorry folks...

You should be able to just go and try to reschedule any time of day. I went after I missed the date for my drug test 9 days later in the afternoon and the guy at the front desk told me to come back the next morning, he took the letter to someone in the back for about 20 minutes. I couldn't get out of work for my medical and emailed Ms. Robinson to reschedule, she didn't reply, hoping for the best. I have to go back there myself. My list number is in the 700's.

17 minutes ago, ebenz1 said:

I was there. 24 of us

Do you know how long you'll be there?

Usually they have the new guys replacing ties in the yard and have you use a slotter, chainsaw and some other gas tools. 

Instead i saw everyone by the front of the yard by the track where trains are loaded and unloaded. 

Just now, dp142 said:

Do you know how long you'll be there?

Usually they have the new guys replacing ties in the yard and have you use a slotter, chainsaw and some other gas tools. 

Instead i saw everyone by the front of the yard by the track where trains are loaded and unloaded. 

today was only second day at the yard. we got an intro to power tools and a tour of the yard. we also got an intro to crane operating. were supposed to be doing OJT for 3 weeks.